Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ExMortis
Feb 14, 2012

Let's RUNNING!! :ussr:
It's not like Steam doesn't exist in Japan, I ended up with a Japanese steam friend somehow and he's got all these other Japanese steam friends and holy poo poo does that nation eat up steam cards. Every Japanese steam profile I see is at least level 40. I don't think they have exclusives like China though (Dynasty Warriors/KOF13 until recently)

I'm not really into Touhou in general but I ended up listening to some of Kommisar's Gameboy arranges and that led to me finding the Nomico version of Bad Apple!! and it's rocking my world. I know the song is something like 4 years old and this kinda post probably happens all the time, but can anyone recommend some good arranges or soundtracks in general? I follow the doujin scene enough to know all it does now is pump out Touhou albums so I'm a little intimidated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Sorry to answer your question with a question, but could you be a little more specific? Touhou arranges cover a lot of different genres, so just asking for good ones is going to get you a landslide of random stuff. If you have a preferred genre, that'd really help us narrow it down.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I think the only times I've posted in this thread has been to say Mohican Sandbag but that's fine, because they're the best. RIP hiru & dark psyche

Getting to genres, you got acoustic from Floating Cloud, orchestra you got Tutti Sound, jazz has Bugbeard w/ Golden City Factory and some other fuckers I guess.

Getting more experimental, you have stuff like fromadistance.

There's loads, start delving through the literal terabytes of music.

Edit:

ExMortis posted:

What's this nomico Bad Apple!! mix, trance?

No seriously click Mohican Sandbag if you want some kickin' psytrance

mdct fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Oct 3, 2013

ExMortis
Feb 14, 2012

Let's RUNNING!! :ussr:

BlitzBlast posted:

Sorry to answer your question with a question, but could you be a little more specific? Touhou arranges cover a lot of different genres, so just asking for good ones is going to get you a landslide of random stuff. If you have a preferred genre, that'd really help us narrow it down.

Yeah I know. My bad. From the post you can glean I like chiptunes (I have access to the original, what, 4 games' soundtracks? in Hoot but I'm not really familiar with them). What's this nomico Bad Apple!! mix, trance? I dunno, just exceptionally tight stuff. I don't like Vocaloid (cue someone telling me Bad Apple!! was vocaloid).

I dug Marisa Stole the Precious Thing in its time but I don't want that kind of excessive beat. Chiptunes, strongly melodic electronic, or real instruments like geetar/sax/violin etc, not so much symphonic.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm not really familiar with circles that specialize in electronic, but I do recall a few individual songs. Lunatic static final princess is nifty (probably my favorite of the lot), Mental Words might be a bit too heavy on the beats but is fairly melodic, and moonflower is nice but might be too slow.

And as for chiptunes, I don't know any so I just searched for it on youtube and got this. Seems nice.

Also because I am legally obliged to plug Foreground Eclipse whenever possible, behold true art.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
This is Sanae's theme in the style of a Spaghetti Western soundtrack. Just because.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Check my post on the first page where I link to a collection I've made(and am adding to every so often with new folders) of things I've sorted out of a 26,000 mp3 megatorrent so far. That ought to keep you occupied for at least a while.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Hey Blitz, where does your avatar come from? It looks like some guy just made Sakuya very angry one day, but it has red text.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Kheldragar posted:

Hey Blitz, where does your avatar come from? It looks like some guy just made Sakuya very angry one day, but it has red text.

Volt Catfish holds grudges and lots of disposable income.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Namtab posted:

Volt Catfish holds grudges and lots of disposable income.

Disposable income is where my last pony avatar came from, and where I come with this one, hastily made.

Don't SOAP it. :barf:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zorak was really dumb for this how was this three days what the gently caress he makes no sense when literally arguing with him gave less time

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jun 21, 2015

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Kheldragar posted:

Disposable income is where my last pony avatar came from, and where I come with this one, hastily made.

Don't SOAP it. :barf:

Don't lie, you obviously got yourself a pony av just to fit in, right, SMcD?
:tinfoil:

Also, I'm really hope ZUN makes some effort to get his games out here to the west. I'd like to have an easy way of supporting one of my favorite game series. I'm sure he could do something through Steam Greenlight, Touhou should have the fanbase to get something through.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Hazdoc posted:

Also, I'm really hope ZUN makes some effort to get his games out here to the west. I'd like to have an easy way of supporting one of my favorite game series. I'm sure he could do something through Steam Greenlight, Touhou should have the fanbase to get something through.

They'd have to be localized first. That's the real problem.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Carpe Fulgur. Problem solved.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Pretty sure they have their hands full with TiTS and Territoire if/when that game gets released.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

FractalSandwich posted:

They'd have to be localized first. That's the real problem.

Touhou is pretty light on the text, isn't it?

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

HellCopter posted:

Touhou is pretty light on the text, isn't it?

Considering you've usually got at least 6 scenarios with different text...probably still more so than other games, yeah, but there's still plenty to localize.

And remember that there's 9 Windows games. :v: e: Plus the photography games, fighting games, and possibly the PC-98 games.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pureauthor posted:

Pretty sure they have their hands full with TiTS
You can say that again! :quagmire:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
By the way, they posted the full version of the Art Scroll they gave to ZUN at AWA.

http://totaku.deviantart.com/art/AWA-Touhou-Scroll-Project-397181272

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Ammat The Ankh posted:

By the way, they posted the full version of the Art Scroll they gave to ZUN at AWA.

It's definately neat, and I'm liking the art style changes throughout the scroll. Especially Miko and Sanae's.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Wow, the full thing looks pretty cool. I can even recognize some of the artists there. I must have a problem.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

Captain Invictus posted:

Carpe Fulgur. Problem solved.

It's a distant memory, but I vaguely remember a post they made on the forums where they said they didn't want to get anywhere near Touhou due to the potential legal ramifications because of how different copyright law is between the East and the West.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Really nice effort. I especially like that even though each touhou is drawn by a different artists, they still look like they're interacting with each other.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Casull posted:

It's a distant memory, but I vaguely remember a post they made on the forums where they said they didn't want to get anywhere near Touhou due to the potential legal ramifications because of how different copyright law is between the East and the West.

But if zun were to bring it over, would'nt that have to be dealt with anyways? Or do they just not want to deal with the hassle of it?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

EDIT: Misread the post above me.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 5, 2013

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Captain Invictus posted:

But if zun were to bring it over, would'nt that have to be dealt with anyways? Or do they just not want to deal with the hassle of it?

It would have to be dealt with no matter who brought it over, and Carpe Fulgur doesn't want to be the ones to deal with all of that just to bring it over. I can't really blame them too much for that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If that's their reason then I can understand it, they're still only two dudes, right? Might be a bit much for such a small company to handle. At the same time, it'd be a huge breakthrough for them if they decided they wanted to become something more than a small-time team.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
So 1011 strips later and I finally come up to date with Dei Shirou's Touhou Tag Dream and there're in the middle of a fight between Red 75% and Eternal Lunar Phoenix and there's no more and and :suicide:

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
In other totally cool news, I ran into and talked with ZUN today at a M3 (big doujin music event) staff barbecue. I had a friend who's a member invite me, and it turns out ZUN's wife is also a member. :v:

While talking with him about the America trip and selling his games online, it sort of hit me just what he meant by "it would be a pain" to do it. Since he likes to work by himself, even if the entire translation were handed to him, he would still have to go through each game, swap out all the text so it fits, change all the graphics, etc. I told him about other doujin makers like Platine Dispositif and EasyGameStation but even then, both circles have multiple members. And this would all interfere with his current work/drinking habits. I think that he sees that even if he were to work with a localizer, he's so hands-on that he would want to do nearly everything besides the translation and maybe the game submission business by himself.

So it all boils down to not having enough time.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

leather fedora posted:

In other totally cool news, I ran into and talked with ZUN today at a M3 (big doujin music event) staff barbecue. I had a friend who's a member invite me, and it turns out ZUN's wife is also a member. :v:

While talking with him about the America trip and selling his games online, it sort of hit me just what he meant by "it would be a pain" to do it. Since he likes to work by himself, even if the entire translation were handed to him, he would still have to go through each game, swap out all the text so it fits, change all the graphics, etc. I told him about other doujin makers like Platine Dispositif and EasyGameStation but even then, both circles have multiple members. And this would all interfere with his current work/drinking habits. I think that he sees that even if he were to work with a localizer, he's so hands-on that he would want to do nearly everything besides the translation and maybe the game submission business by himself.

So it all boils down to not having enough time.

So basically, he won't put in the relatively small amount of effort that would be required to make truckloads more money, simply because he's perfectly content with his life the way it is now and doesn't want to make even a small change.

I actually respect that greatly. The world would be a much better place if more people had similarly little use for easy money.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
That's disappointing but completely understandable. I can only hope he comes around to the idea eventually.

On the other hand, what good would releasing Touhou in the west really do? Would a person see Touhou on Steam and buy it without having heard of it before? Do there exist people who really want to play Touhou but only if they buy it (and won't import)?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

HellCopter posted:

That's disappointing but completely understandable. I can only hope he comes around to the idea eventually.

On the other hand, what good would releasing Touhou in the west really do? Would a person see Touhou on Steam and buy it without having heard of it before? Do there exist people who really want to play Touhou but only if they buy it (and won't import)?

I'd honestly say yes to both. I know a lot of people in the latter category who buy random games just to see how they're like, especially if it ever goes on a Steam sale or something similar. And getting the game on Steam will help in directing people to a way to play the game, dodging any of the problems with importing or piracy and people's issues with those methods.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

There's also a tiny, tiny chance that if the games got an official localization, it could mean a simultaneous slight technology update. Makings things work ever so slightly much better on new systems. (Backporting engine fixes to EoSD? Okay, likely not happening.)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

nielsm posted:

There's also a tiny, tiny chance that if the games got an official localization, it could mean a simultaneous slight technology update. Makings things work ever so slightly much better on new systems. (Backporting engine fixes to EoSD? Okay, likely not happening.)

Suddenly EoSD has Mountain of Faith's bomb and scoring systems, and fans the world over scream in abject rage.

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

KataraniSword posted:

Suddenly EoSD has Mountain of Faith's bomb and scoring systems, and fans the world over scream in abject rage.

Rest in peace, my graze. Why does MoF even make the sound effect for it, did ZUN just want to troll everyone? is that why the aki sisters are so mean with their bullets?

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
MoF's no-graze and every game uses the UFO system.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

SirSlarty posted:

MoF's no-graze and every game uses the UFO system.

The difference is, some people like the UFO system. These people are wrong, but they still exist. I have not met anyone who likes MoF's lack of graze.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

KataraniSword posted:

I have not met anyone who likes MoF's lack of graze.

I do. :shobon:

It helps that it makes replays more fun to watch because they're not farming graze for minutes at a time that I'd rather skip.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
Touhou characters, Metal Slug mechanics.

id play it

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Because Hopeless Masquerade is a never-ending work-in-progress, TasoFro released yet another patch on their site, this time adding a new skill and spell card for each character except Kokoro.

Mamizou's new spellcard is absolutely amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Have they fixed the netplay ye- pfffft I can't even finish that.

Also the patch introduced three new items, adjusted game mechanics a bit more, added some new poses, and probably did some rebalancing too.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 12, 2013