Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

So I can't read chinese, but...

Does Mikasa seriously sit there and tell Eren to give up on fighting and they can die together? It seems like she's trying to convince him to stop and just enjoy being with her before he rages out and starts controlling the titans .

No.

She's thanking him for being there for her and effectively snaps him out of the mild psychosis he started to suffer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

How long do scanlators for this series usually take?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Mikasa snapping Eren out of his funk by just saying thank you was a really nice way to get him going without giving a huge speech. Poor Hannes though, jesus christ. I know nobody gets a noble death in this series, but man I was at least hoping Isayama would subvert expectations on him.

Oh yeah, eat poo poo Chuckles.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 5, 2013

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
I think we usually see a scanlation before the magazine even comes out in Japan (on the 9th). Probably within a day, 2 max.

Actually, I went to click on that link again and now it's in English: http://www.mangabee.com/shingeki-no-kyojin/50/1/

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
If people weren't sleeping I'd easily let out an audible HOLY gently caress at the chapter.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Hannes, you were a great guy. It's a shame you had to go down like that. :smith:

At least we now know why the shifters were interested in Eren.
The story just keeps getting better and better. :munch:

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Ugh, Jesus god, I don't feel that even the Levi Squad getting brutalized compared to how bad Hannes getting eviscerated made me feel. Especially with the last panel of him playing with Eren when they were all kids, talk about a gut punch. Rest in peace you glorious drunkard :negative:

That said, I never thought Eren would ever have a positive outlet for his rage, much less that it would be CONTROLLING LESSER TITANS. Holy poo poo was that unexpected and rad.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Wait, so Bert and Ernie didn't actually know that Eren was the Titan King until just now? They just decided to kidnap rage in human form on the off chance he might be the one? Man, Bert's little mental monologue is really underselling how completely hosed they are now that Eren's has acquired the titan version of The Word of God.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gyges posted:

Wait, so Bert and Ernie didn't actually know that Eren was the Titan King until just now? They just decided to kidnap rage in human form on the off chance he might be the one? Man, Bert's little mental monologue is really underselling how completely hosed they are now that Eren's has acquired the titan version of The Word of God.

Are they all that hosed? I mean, it's a really bad thing, sure, but it's a known weapon in their arsenal as well. See also, Annie.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Gyges posted:

I'm pretty sure that they suspected as much, this just confirmed their fears.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh my God I genuinely thought there was going to be a character purge. So many people about to die the Eren does that and hooly poo poo for the first time in a long while if at all the balance has shifted for humanity. Mikasa's thank you was great.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

That Mikasa stuff was pretty touching :unsmith:

Also Eren just walking up to that titan and just punching it while he's still human. That's my boy.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Good lord that was fast.

Holy poo poo I didn't quite see that one coming but now things are starting to make sense again. I love how Eren just pulled the same twist on us twice by now, we should have a running tally of "Times a Titan looks like it is about to ambush a main character but is actually just lunging to punch another titan in the face." :allears:

e: Thinking about it, this really was a lot like what happened during the Trost arc. Everything is hosed for everyone forever, Mikasa has a moment, and then Eren proceeds to not just turn the tide but also shake up the status quo.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Darth Walrus posted:

Are they all that hosed? I mean, it's a really bad thing, sure, but it's a known weapon in their arsenal as well. See also, Annie.

I don't think you understand. Eren hates them more than he hates the mindless titans. Eren's rage surpassed infinity just for them. And now he can control mindless titans and force them to carry out his will. Bert and Ernie, and quite possibly everything that ever brought them joy, is now in the bath of a titan hurricane. Eren's rage is not a burning sun of justice, it is a black hole of vengeance.

Also if Eren was just one of a dozen guys who could control titans he wouldn't be nearly as important. Why break down the wall and decimate humanity to get the guy who you'd never actually have a conflict with since humans have next to no desire to leave the walls?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think it was more than just mindless titans, I was under the impression he was controlling Bert and Ernie, too.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
The 5.5 Stages of reading fresh Attack on Titan:

1) Denial
The author wouldn't kill that guy/girl! They're too awesome!

2) Anger
Why would you even do that, author? Do you hate us that much?

3) Bargaining
Okay, so you killed that guy - and that guy - but this other guy will be safe, right? C'mon-

4) Depression
Welp.

5) Acceptance
Humans are born to die in the giggling maws of the Titans. It is simply the way the world is.

5) Holy poo poo
Wait, did he just - HOLY poo poo.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One thing I noticed was the visual parallel between that feral Titan charging in as Eren was attacking and Titan-Eren's first appearance when Mikasa was in a similar situation.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Gyges posted:

I haven't seen a full translation but someone translated Reiner's thoughts at the end of the chapter as something like "The coordinate ended up in the hands of the most dangerous person". They previously claimed to have kidnapped him because they thought he might have/be "the coordinate" so they definitely knew about this power, wanted it and were reasonably certain but not confident that Eren had it.

More importantly, it is totally basement time now motherfuckers :unsmigghh:

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

I don't believe that Annie had anything even close to the same power. I'm pretty sure that all she did was run around and aggro as many titans as she could and then lead them towards the soldiers. We never see her in close proximity to any other titans except when she calls attention to herself and they devour her. Eren, on the other hand, has effectively become a Titan-Boomer. He directly controls them with mind-emotions and that's on a whole new level.

Anyways, I continue to get the sense that Reiner and his group aren't necessarily afraid of being defeated by Eren, the titans, or anyone else. They're afraid of the wrath of Monkey-Titan, and whatever his plans for the world are.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Mio Bison posted:

More importantly, it is totally basement time now motherfuckers :unsmigghh:

I can't wait for him to find the vampiric school uniform.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I wonder if Monkey Trouble's and Eren's ears are what signify their Titan controlling ability, since they both got pointed ones, and it would explain why Bert and Ernie thought he might have that ability.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if there's any other moments in the manga where Eren is show influencing the titans, that we've missed.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 30, 2017

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The basement is just going to have an instruction manual for all the things Rage Titan can do. Currently he's still at "press A for rage punch, press B for RAGE PUNCH, press RB for ranged attack.

It is pretty cool that he's found a way to go "gently caress you from far away" to people he's mad at. Does it seem like he has to activate the ability and get the weird titan lines on his face, or can he command them at any time?

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I knew there were mystifying and interesting secrets still needing revealing, but I had no idea the mangaka could possibly surprise me like he did in this last chapter. This new revelation is incredible. No wonder the other sentient titans want Eren so badly.

I loved how when things were at their most desperate, the one thing Mikasa decides to do is thank Eren for saving her and teaching her how to live.

redneck sushi
Aug 5, 2013

Nelson Mandingo posted:

That's a great chapter.

We were discussing that Eren's titan is much more powerful than other titans, it seems to confirm that elf-eared titans are some sort of titan commanders.

Not necessarily. Annie could command other titans to eat her and she didn't have pointy ears.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

redneck sushi posted:

Not necessarily. Annie could command other titans to eat her and she didn't have pointy ears.

Was she doing that? I thought she was just making a huge ruckus to draw attention to herself.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Time for Eren's new power to unintentionally go off and bring down the wall without meaning to! He's even more dangerous to humanity now, jesus.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Chapter 50: Holy poo poo, what?!

Christ that was awesome.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

redneck sushi posted:

If that were the case she could have just instructed them to kill everyone. She was just making her presence known to them, we've seen a few times that regular Titans seem to hate Human Titans more than they hate regular people.

e: Weird-rear end spoiler placement what was I even thinking.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Huh. I wonder if "coordinate" is actually supposed to be "coordinator"?

Maybe this is how the walls were built in the first place. If the wall titans were humans who did it willingly then it doesn't make much sense for the priest guy to be afraid of sunlight touching them, but if they're wild titans that somebody was controlling...

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The Engrish on the Mangabee translation is a little too much to handle, how long does it typically take for a more elegant translation to pop up?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Quantum Toast posted:

Huh. I wonder if "coordinate" is actually supposed to be "coordinator"?

Maybe this is how the walls were built in the first place. If the wall titans were humans who did it willingly then it doesn't make much sense for the priest guy to be afraid of sunlight touching them, but if they're wild titans that somebody was controlling...

In the church's own basement is the original coordinator of the wall titans, Adam Lilith Shinji Ikari

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

The Engrish on the Mangabee translation is a little too much to handle, how long does it typically take for a more elegant translation to pop up?

However long it takes for a Japanese raw to pop up, I'd guess. I think the current English version was done from those Chinese scanlations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Time to quarantine myself from this thread again.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente
That was a hell of a chapter.

Explains a whole lot of what's going on in the setting, now all we really need is Sasquatch's motivation. I can't imagine whatever is in the basement comparing to this reveal.

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

Denim Avenger posted:

That was a hell of a chapter.

Explains a whole lot of what's going on in the setting, now all we really need is Sasquatch's motivation. I can't imagine whatever is in the basement comparing to this reveal.

Everything that's been revealed so far up until this point, combined with whatever's in that basement, makes all the more hilarious to me that Eren's father just decided offhandedly one day that he was going to tell his son EVERYTHING. His son Eren, the pinnacle of reason, subtlety, and self-control.

redneck sushi
Aug 5, 2013

TK-31 posted:

If that were the case she could have just instructed them to kill everyone. She was just making her presence known to them, we've seen a few times that regular Titans seem to hate Human Titans more than they hate regular people.

e: Weird-rear end spoiler placement what was I even thinking.

I suspect Annie has the same ability as Eren to control other titans, just to a lesser degree.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Torix posted:

Everything that's been revealed so far up until this point, combined with whatever's in that basement, makes all the more hilarious to me that Eren's father just decided offhandedly one day that he was going to tell his son EVERYTHING. His son Eren, the pinnacle of reason, subtlety, and self-control.

Are you sure it was off-handed? That whole "I'm going to show you the secret basement when I get back" speech did come right before Wall Maria fell.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

blastron posted:

Are you sure it was off-handed? That whole "I'm going to show you the secret basement when I get back" speech did come right before Wall Maria fell.

And after Eren declared his resolve to see the world outside the walls for himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

redneck sushi posted:

I suspect Annie has the same ability as Eren to control other titans, just to a lesser degree.

If she did then it wouldn't be such a big deal to Reiner at all that Eren could then. He goes into an entire internal monologue about how crazy it is Eren received the chosen power. I don't think he'd be as mad if Annie had any power to do so. If she could then the Titans wouldn't have gone after just her when she screamed. All she did was run through a field drawing attention to herself and the Scouts to distract them while trying to find Eren then screamed again to draw attention so she could have a way out.