Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SilentD posted:

It looks kinda like the saturn controller

What the hell is going on here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

doritos posted:

What the hell is going on here

The Saturn controller was so awesome it got ported to the Playstation.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Jaws was probably the least worst LJN game, and it probably only gets that honor because it was so ridiculously short (once I figured out what the hell to do (just keep going back and forth between ports) I could beat it in like 20 minutes).

Also I just did the 7 minute Link to the Past speed run on a real SNES. I can't believe how easy it was. For anyone who wants to impress your friends IRL:

1) Get Zelda at the beginning of the game (should take around 4 minutes)
2) Go out of the room and go to a platform you can jump off of. In mid air, save and quit.
3) Load your game, you will be at the part where you just got Zelda. Let the guard/knight/whatever hit you. You'll be invisible. Walk to the right through the wall. Once in the next room stop holding right (or else you'll "fall" back on the map again). Just keep holding up.
4) You'll keep walking through walls. Keep holding up. Eventually you will be forced to stop.
5) Hold left, eventually bringing you to Ganon's room in the dark world. Hold up and BAM! You just beat A Link to the Past in 7 minutes.

My favorite thing about old game programming is that it's raining during the ending.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SilentD posted:

Which isn't shocking as it's been replicated many times over for fighters

Slighty off-topic, but anyone know if these fightpads are any good? Been thinking of getting one for just to play the PS3 Genesis/Megadrive collection with something approximating a proper megadrive controller.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm St can also be completed in about 30 minutes.

I really want to enjoy Alien 3 because the graphics, music, and basic game design is great. They nailed the atmosphere and all the monsters have unique attack patterns like leaping from ceilings or spitting at you.

But then some chucklefuck decided that your goal is to rescue people in a strict time limit with no map and not even a loving heartbeat counter. If it had a ZAMN style radar it would have actually been decent but I guess commissioning decent games wasn't on LJN's agenda.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Slighty off-topic, but anyone know if these fightpads are any good? Been thinking of getting one for just to play the PS3 Genesis/Megadrive collection with something approximating a proper megadrive controller.

I got one because I thought it would be good in this way because the stock 360 controller really isnt. This controller is mediocre, especially when comparing it to an actual saturn controller, which its design is based on. There are some officially licensed USB saturn controllers that work with the PS3 and they are probably better for your purpose. There's a lot of lovely knockoffs though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zand posted:

There are some officially licensed USB saturn controllers that work with the PS3 and they are probably better for your purpose. There's a lot of lovely knockoffs though.

Can you link somewhere I can get them from? Or at least the brand name so I can try and hunt down one? Just so I don't stumble onto the knockoffs by accident.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

al-azad posted:

Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm St can also be completed in about 30 minutes.

I really want to enjoy Alien 3 because the graphics, music, and basic game design is great. They nailed the atmosphere and all the monsters have unique attack patterns like leaping from ceilings or spitting at you.

But then some chucklefuck decided that your goal is to rescue people in a strict time limit with no map and not even a loving heartbeat counter. If it had a ZAMN style radar it would have actually been decent but I guess commissioning decent games wasn't on LJN's agenda.

I remember loving Alien 3 for the SNES and even the completely different Game Boy one, and I figured "well I guess LJN did something good". Just looked into it; they published it and had nothing to do with creating the game.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Didn't JLN have something to do with Pit Fighter?

Also hell yeah get jealous nerds.

Also the controller doesn't say Sony on either side nor does it even have ant printing on the buttons but it feels like a real one. It could be a knockoff but it seems legit. Judging by the two crap games it came with it used to live at Activision.

e: Forgot to attach that closeup of the controller (which could use a little bit of cleaning)

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 5, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ACID POLICE posted:

Also the controller doesn't say Sony on either side nor does it even have ant printing on the buttons but it feels like a real one. It could be a knockoff but it seems legit. Judging by the two crap games it came with it used to like at Activision.

How many harvested hobo organs did that set you back?

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They're ok, I guess. I have one that I use when I play 2d games on the 360 that require heavy use of the dpad. Mine has a flaw in the dpad where it likes to stick when I press left. It's probably an easy fix if I ever decide to care enough to open it though. It's a fairly large controller, and is very comfortable though.

ohnoitschris posted:

Yeah, mine would be FF6 too, it's my #1 game of all time. But you're not alone, Final Fantasy is honestly a pretty lovely series and somehow managed to feature the best game ever made (6) and the worst (13). I also enjoyed 7, for the first six hours while you're in Midgar - the game slows waaaaaay the gently caress down after that and never actually picks back up. 4 isn't bad, but it's pretty slow, though the PSP version lets you throttle through battles so it really helps the pacing and makes for a great revision, and I remember liking 9 but never completed it. It's kinda too slow.

I'm the complete opposite in regards to FF7. Midgar is by far the most boring (and linear) part of the game for me, and every time I start up FF7, it's a race for me to see how fast I can get out of Midgar, because that's when the game really opens up... well besides Kalm and the sephiroth story bit. But, I know I'm definitely in the minority with that opinion.

fatpat268 fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 5, 2013

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Thought about the desert island game thing and came to the odd realization that It'd be Madden 2005 for me. Got it for $1 years ago and I still play through a few years of franchise mode every couple of months. Also there's apparently a non-sim football game attached to it that's more than just lists of numbers and randomly generated player names. :v:

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

I wish there was a Football Manager style game for American football. If it did exist I might not play anything else tho.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Famous TV Dad posted:

I wish there was a Football Manager style game for American football. If it did exist I might not play anything else tho.

You don't know?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Head_Coach
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Head_Coach_09

Now you do! :)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ACID POLICE posted:

He was talking Bout worst in terms of FF games. Also LJN contracted Atlus to make a surfing game. I've never played it but it's by Atlus and therefore has a good shot at being pretty cool.

Also RIP Atlus

E: how hard do you guys think it'd be to repair the pedal on a Crisis Zone cab? Someone's selling one for 250...
The surfing game is T&C Surf Designs for the NES (a licensed game based on a surfing brand) and it's godawful.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Can you link somewhere I can get them from? Or at least the brand name so I can try and hunt down one? Just so I don't stumble onto the knockoffs by accident.

I dont think the official ones are on amazon and now ebay is flooded with knockoffs. I really dont know a good current ebay vendor for them or how to avoid knockoffs, but they are the Play Sega white controllers on ebay (if they arent knockoffs). Maybe my advice wasnt so good after all!

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ACID POLICE posted:

Also the XRGB3 supports up to 1920x1200 with latest firmware and I'm pretty sure I read it's faster than a Framemeister so it's totally a good use of money. If I saw a good deal on a 3 (or a Framemeister for that matter) I would definitely consider upgrading from my 2+.

Stop It. I literally just explained in detail the things you and the other guy didn't understand about the xrgb3 a page after y'all posted earlier in this thread. Its like 2ms faster in the comparable mode. It is only significantly faster if you are in line doubling mode, where you lose dvi out and scaling past 640x480. So you either buy another image processor to handle scaling or you pray your tv or monitor has low latency when scaling that rez on the vga input (good luck finding that out, since noone actually tests that anymore). But you can do that with your 2+, so whats the point.

Am I shadow banned? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

orphean posted:

If you think FF 13 is the worst game ever made I don't even know where to start. I mean look at LJN's entire NES output if you want to see some bad games man.

I consider it the worst game I've ever played based on my own personal experience with the game. Their plans to turn the game into an entire series, the fact that it was the first Final Fantasy on the 7th-gen consoles, and how great it looked in trailers made me really think they might actually get their poo poo together and put out one of the best games ever made.

It turned out to be a bad anime with awful characters and a plot that starts as if I already know what's going on and who everyone is. I don't really have any reason to care about the characters, no reason to explore the environments, no towns to visit, and not even an interesting battle system. I know it's supposed to pick up at the 20-hour mark, but 20 hours is a long time. Bioshock, I thought, was a perfect length at 16 hours - it was plenty of time to teach me how to play, tell a complete story, let me explore each level and wrap up with an ending. 20 hours to get started? gently caress no dude, 20 hours is an investment of time, especially when you work full time and don't get a lot of time at home to play console games.

I even grew up with Back to the Future (an LJN game) on NES, and I honestly do say that's a better game than FF13. It's a complete piece of poo poo and I could even call it so when I was a child, but at least it's mildly amusing to dodge the random bullshit that gets in Marty's way as he rockets down the street and probably even works as a goofy game to try while drunk for a couple of minutes. It's ridiculous and awful, but makes for a better game than 13.

I really do love video games of all kinds - I have a great time with shallow but visceral games like Metal Slug and Dance Dance Revolution, story driven games like The Walking Dead and Heavy Rain, and even long RPGs like Disgaea and Fallout. But there was just nothing for me in 13 at all. Nothing. It was a disappointing piece of poo poo that took itself way too seriously and tried to play itself straight while throwing paper-thin characters like Snow and just outright weirdly inhuman characters like Vanille at me. I know you could apply a lot of my complaints to a lot of modern games, but I really expected more from 13. The only way I'd keep playing it is if it turned out to be an absolute mindfuck later on, Spec Ops The Line style, but apparently that just doesn't happen.

So, maybe "worst game ever" isn't so literal to my point, but most disappointing? Yes. A million times yes. Lordy, I just can't trust the name "Final Fantasy" anymore. Seeing its logo on a new game is like seeing THQ's logo on a game box in the 90's.

edit: Home Alone 2 for NES. It's an abysmal game published by THQ, but it has suitcases bouncing around and guys with vacuum cleaners trying to kill you and you knee-slide into things as your attack, which makes it a better game than Final Fantasy 13. It's at least fun for a couple of minutes, and it's not like you're actually expecting the Home Alone 2 video game to actually be good. If I can have fun with a game for even just a couple of minutes, it's a more enjoyable experience than a game that's just a huge letdown. So that's how Home Alone 2 is a better game than Final Fantasy 13.

gay skull fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 5, 2013

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

ohnoitschris posted:

It turned out to be a bad anime with awful characters and a plot that starts as if I already know what's going on and who everyone is. I don't really have any reason to care about the characters, no reason to explore the environments, no towns to visit, and not even an interesting battle system.

To me, this describes practically every JRPG that has ever been recommended to me. Pretty much every Final Fantasy game I've played is just a long, bad anime with awful characters and a battle system where mashing confirm is the correct option 99% of the time. I thought most people go back to JRPGs when they want a shallow gameplay experience that carries them along with minimal effort outside the tiny amount of thinking required to stay awake while playing.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

ACID POLICE posted:

Also the controller doesn't say Sony on either side nor does it even have ant printing on the buttons but it feels like a real one. It could be a knockoff but it seems legit. Judging by the two crap games it came with it used to like at Activision.

Oh wow amazing. Great get, dude.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

ACID POLICE posted:

Will you please print me a shell for my Turbo Everdrive?

My printer wouldn't be accurate enough right now. See the banding on everything? I'm working on fixing that still.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

I think today I've had the first truly successful retro hunting day I've had in months.

The belt buckle was a couple bucks, Tetris was a buck fifty and I didn't own a copy for some reason. Shadowrun set me back 18, but still totally worth it. And, of course, the superior gameboy advance. I paid 70 for it :retrogames: but for the good loving shape it's in, I have no regrets at all. I'd call it a goddamn steal.

Incidentally, if anyone wants a silver body/black face micro for a reasonable price, shoot me a PM and I'll get you some pictures and discuss. I really don't need two micros in the house, and I'd rather give you guys a shot before I let some SA-Mart rear end snatch it up and ebay it.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Watching Chrontendo has piqued my interest regarding the MSX computer in Japan. Have we had an MSX megapost? Do we have any MSX users in the thread who'd like to talk about entry-level into it and whether or not that's a rabbit hole worth going down? :)

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Stop It. I literally just explained in detail the things you and the other guy didn't understand about the xrgb3 a page after y'all posted earlier in this thread. Its like 2ms faster in the comparable mode. It is only significantly faster if you are in line doubling mode, where you lose dvi out and scaling past 640x480. So you either buy another image processor to handle scaling or you pray your tv or monitor has low latency when scaling that rez on the vga input (good luck finding that out, since noone actually tests that anymore). But you can do that with your 2+, so whats the point.

Am I shadow banned? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.

To be fair my mini is only like 7ms latency if that.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
multiple testings have put it more in the 22-24ms average range.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

A Yolo Wizard posted:

multiple testings have put it more in the 22-24ms average range.

Eh? You can see the latency it generates in the frameware itself...

Currently it says 0.55ms through the PS3 (scaling 720p on ps3 to 1080p) and 1.52 ms on snes at 1080p output using smartx2 w/ meister.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Those aren't accurate.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

SNK apparently gave Tommo a cease and desist on the Neo Geo X stuff. I might be the only guy to buy the x gold and care, but apparently they've been told to pull out of online retailers also. So I pulled the trigger on an extra arcade stick while the gettings good.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Quidnose posted:

Watching Chrontendo has piqued my interest regarding the MSX computer in Japan. Have we had an MSX megapost? Do we have any MSX users in the thread who'd like to talk about entry-level into it and whether or not that's a rabbit hole worth going down? :)

I've dabbled in MSX gaming, never actually owned the computer but knew a few weirdos who did. Like every old PC my default answer is "no, not worth it" when emulation is infinitely available. I have a different opinion of the C64 because there's something fun about trying to get the fossil to run properly but long load times and finicky hardware are negatives.

It's worth noting that the best MSX games got NES ports or updates on other platforms. Some didn't fare too well like Metal Gear and CastleQuest while others are better on NES like Eggerland 2/Adventures of Lolo and Dragon Slayer IV/Legacy of the Wizard. I liked Golvellius (precursor to Guardian Legend), King's Valley series, Knightmare 2 (Maze of Galious), Treasures of Usas (both games are very obvious inspirations for La Mulana), and it even has the best home port of Slamander.

Emulate the poo poo out of MSX because there are good games and the best ones are oddly in English or have no language barrier. But I wouldn't bother messing with the hardware.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Blackchamber posted:

SNK apparently gave Tommo a cease and desist on the Neo Geo X stuff. I might be the only guy to buy the x gold and care, but apparently they've been told to pull out of online retailers also. So I pulled the trigger on an extra arcade stick while the gettings good.

I don't understand, were they not officially licensed?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Blackchamber posted:

Holy poo poo, I am literally one item shy of having a complete setup for a console and all its games.

What? Shut up! Don't take this away from me!

I need something else unique from Play-Asia, like a Japanese PS3 game or something, because gently caress paying $20 to have a glorified SD card shipped.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
OH!
MYGOD.
A WILD UNLABELED GAME APPEARED

Just kidding, paid someone to write Ai Senshi Nicol to a FDS and send it to me since I can't get fdsloader to work. It was why I got the cable in the first place because it's a fun game and sounds horrible on the N8. If you have not played it I suggest trying it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-o-zOOSe2c

Also unless you thought the gcw-zero was cool I suggest staying far away from the Neo Geo X. The aspect ratio is completely wrong on the handheld and the dock is awful quality. I'd just buy the sticks and forget the actual Neo Geo X existed. I believe it works on both PC and PS3.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

How are the Neo Geo X sticks compared to, say, a Street Fighter TE stick? Also do they work on PC/360/PS3 since it's USB?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

iastudent posted:

How are the Neo Geo X sticks compared to, say, a Street Fighter TE stick? Also do they work on PC/360/PS3 since it's USB?

PC and PS3 yes, 360 no.

On PC it registers as a standard stick. On PS3 it also works as a standard stick but remember there are only four buttons on the thing, so it'll only really work with games that use no more than that. I can report that it works perfectly out-of-the-box with Persona 4 Arena. That said, you can probably track down a WWE Brawl stick for less money and it'll give you more buttons and is just overall a better deal if that's what you're looking for, the Neo Geo X sticks are nothing special. A TE stick will blow it out of the water.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
So I'm a bit confused on the whole "best graphical quality" stuff. As some of you know, I got a XRGB-3, and I've been playing around with it.

I don't have the slightest clue what I'm doing. I'm guessing most of the outputs I got are NOT RGB. So how can I get the best graphic out of say, a Saturn or an (old) XBOX?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I don't understand, were they not officially licensed?

They were, but apparently they had a falling out and SNK decided to cancel the contract or whatever. Its a shame too because they were supposed to release games for it from the neo geo library.

It was a cheap pretend neo geo, cause I can't afford the real deal. So it was good times.

Edit: yeah there's nothing special about the sticks at all, but I want to have a matching set that matches the system. So you should pass on them if you aren't just getting them for the same reason. Just wanted to let people kniw incase they were wanting the X and couldn't think of a reason to pull the trigger.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 5, 2013

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

RadicalR posted:

So I'm a bit confused on the whole "best graphical quality" stuff. As some of you know, I got a XRGB-3, and I've been playing around with it.

I don't have the slightest clue what I'm doing. I'm guessing most of the outputs I got are NOT RGB. So how can I get the best graphic out of say, a Saturn or an (old) XBOX?

A bit confused at your question; you are not sure if you are using RGB cables or not?

For a Saturn you'd get RGB cables (in this case, scart) and for the old XBox you'd get component cables. But I personally wouldn't run an original XBox through an XRGB since it outputs 720p (and even 1080i in some games).

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Blackchamber posted:

They were, but apparently they had a falling out and SNK decided to cancel the contract or whatever. Its a shame too because they were supposed to release games for it from the neo geo library.

It was a cheap pretend neo geo, cause I can't afford the real deal. So it was good times.

Edit: yeah there's nothing special about the sticks at all, but I want to have a matching set that matches the system. So you should pass on them if you aren't just getting them for the same reason. Just wanted to let people kniw incase they were wanting the X and couldn't think of a reason to pull the trigger.

Why not just pick up some MVS carts and make (or buy) a supergun? MVS hardware isn't expensive at all, and a supergun is worth having in general.

quote:

Final Fantasy is honestly a pretty lovely series

I quasi agree. I liked all the 16bit stuff and enjoyed the 8bit games as well. I just feel Square in general went to poo poo with the move to 3d.

However my favorite games from square by far were Final Fantasy Adventure and Secret of Mana. The first I have way too many memories of, and the second is probably my favorite game of all time. I'd give a shout out to Seiken Densatsu 3 and Bahamut Lagoon, but I've only played buggy translations. They need to just fix that and release them over PSN, Steam, WiiWare, whatever. I'm sure they'd sell like hotcakes. The games are amazing and I don't know why they never brought them to the US.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

SilentD posted:

However my favorite games from square by far were Final Fantasy Adventure and Secret of Mana. The first I have way too many memories of, and the second is probably my favorite game of all time. I'd give a shout out to Seiken Densatsu 3 and Bahamut Lagoon, but I've only played buggy translations. They need to just fix that and release them over PSN, Steam, WiiWare, whatever. I'm sure they'd sell like hotcakes. The games are amazing and I don't know why they never brought them to the US.

The stuff that came out at the tail end of the SNES was not brought over purely for a economical reason. The cost to translate and print games that at that time wouldn't have sold a ton at the tail end of a consoles lifespan was not a great idea. I am pretty surprised they have not translated and put them out on online services. Treasure Hunter G, Rudra no Hihō and Bahamut Lagoon are all three great games and I think could turn some profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Djarum posted:

Treasure Hunter G, Rudra no Hihō and Bahamut Lagoon are all three great games and I think could turn some profit.

Remakes would definitely do well for those games. They might not be able to justify a translation and release of the original form, but make a 3DS version and there's no reason to not sweep up the sales you'd get for finally making them available.

• Locked thread