Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Total Meatlove posted:

What team is going to buy him though? Even Championship teams are going to be wary of taking a punt on him.

I could see some American MLS team overpaying for him for a feel-good homecoming transfer like with Dempsey, otherwise outlook not so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Can i change my prediction to Jozy will score more goals in the World Cup than he will this season in the premier league?

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
I think Jozy's hold-up play and dangerous positioning are second to none and considering he's the undisputed goalscorer for one of the current top nations on the Fifa Rankings as well as a top team on the most competitive league in the world, then you'll realize he's a very good player that is being held back by a mediocre midfield.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

pointsofdata posted:

He'll go somewhere else when we get relegated and start banging the goals in again when he gets good service, and people will still not be able to see that this Sunderland team is practically impossible for a striker to look good in.

Altidore's movement is poor and he makes the defenders job look easy. He doesn't harass them, doesn't challenge in the air, and is incredibly weak in challenges. He's sluggish, controls the ball extremely poorly, and consistently makes poor decisions on the ball.

Absolutely every loving aspect of his game is bad. If you think he's getting into dangerous positions, you simply don't understand what a dangerous position is. There was a comment during the game about how he'd pulled off Vidic during Giac's cross, but Vidic was aware of his movement and didn't follow because Altidore had left the so called "corridor of uncertainty" without actually moving far enough to present a threat he needed to deal with. No matter where that cross was aimed, Vidic could deal with it, and stayed closer to the goal to avoid having Altidore sprint in behind him.

Altidore's movement is probably the only aspect of his game worse than his total inability to take a challenge from players half his size. As for him drawing a booking, he simply miscontrolled the ball and got tripped when Vidic made a challenge for where Altidore played the ball. He offered absolutely no threat and it's pretty clear Sunderland players don't trust him on the ball.

Is this enough of a response to his play for you? He's genuinely the single worst striker in the league. At least Torres still occasionally surprises players before loving up his shot.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Total Meatlove posted:

What team is going to buy him though? Even Championship teams are going to be wary of taking a punt on him.

Rather than stay in Holland, I'd wish Jozy would have joined Lazio/Napoli

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

pointsofdata posted:

He'll go somewhere else when we get relegated and start banging the goals in again when he gets good service, and people will still not be able to see that this Sunderland team is practically impossible for a striker to look good in.

We? I thought you were a Watford fan.

Sauska
Sep 12, 2012

Crunkjuice posted:

Can i change my prediction to Jozy will score more goals in the World Cup than he will this season in the premier league?

I think he'll probably score twice as many (0)

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good

pointsofdata posted:

Erm, erm... erm..**starts sweating profusely**... I don't know how to break this but...

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Spangly A posted:

Altidore's movement is poor and he makes the defenders job look easy. He doesn't harass them, doesn't challenge in the air, and is incredibly weak in challenges. He's sluggish, controls the ball extremely poorly, and consistently makes poor decisions on the ball.

Absolutely every loving aspect of his game is bad. If you think he's getting into dangerous positions, you simply don't understand what a dangerous position is. There was a comment during the game about how he'd pulled off Vidic during Giac's cross, but Vidic was aware of his movement and didn't follow because Altidore had left the so called "corridor of uncertainty" without actually moving far enough to present a threat he needed to deal with. No matter where that cross was aimed, Vidic could deal with it, and stayed closer to the goal to avoid having Altidore sprint in behind him.

Altidore's movement is probably the only aspect of his game worse than his total inability to take a challenge from players half his size. As for him drawing a booking, he simply miscontrolled the ball and got tripped when Vidic made a challenge for where Altidore played the ball. He offered absolutely no threat and it's pretty clear Sunderland players don't trust him on the ball.

Is this enough of a response to his play for you? He's genuinely the single worst striker in the league. At least Torres still occasionally surprises players before loving up his shot.

He passes well for a forward, he gets a good number of assists so not sure where you're getting that from.

He plays 90 minutes most games so not sure where you're getting that from.

Playing with 1 forward is a lot different than playing with one forward and only lobbing balls to him or shooting from 30 yards out. That's called "lack of service".

He seems to score just fine against international competition, it's not like he's only scored against CONCACAF and Dutch teams.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

atomic gog posted:

I've just crunched the numbers and it has been around 1,925,565 minutes since his last barclays goal, scored on February 6th 2010.

can someone make a list of players who have been able to score a goal in the premier league since Jozy last did it

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

belgend posted:

We? I thought you were a Watford fan.

He's a follower of Jozy Altidore FC.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

the sex ghost posted:

can someone make a list of players who have been able to score a goal in the premier league since Jozy last did it

Might be easier and funnier to just make it goalkeepers and defenders

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

This thread is pathetic, how can people who devote so much time to a sport, struggle so badly with analysing a match "hur dur he hasnt scored a garl yit so therefore he iz fkn shite"

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

pointsofdata posted:

He passes well for a forward, he gets a good number of assists so not sure where you're getting that from.

He plays 90 minutes most games so not sure where you're getting that from.

Playing with 1 forward is a lot different than playing with one forward and only lobbing balls to him or shooting from 30 yards out. That's called "lack of service".

He seems to score just fine against international competition, it's not like he's only scored against CONCACAF and Dutch teams.

No he doesn't, how long he plays doesn't matter given he never challenges defenders or tires them, plenty of good strikers can do the lone striker thing, his record against international competition in non-concacaf teams is poor.

How can you not see this? He's poo poo.

Spiller
Apr 28, 2010

I haven't seen a lot of Jozy but every time I do see him he doesn't seem to know what to do when a good striker would try to win the ball in the air. He just looks lost and confused when a high cross comes in.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Spangly A posted:

No he doesn't, how long he plays doesn't matter given he never challenges defenders or tires them, plenty of good strikers can do the lone striker thing, his record against international competition in non-concacaf teams is poor.

How can you not see this? He's poo poo.

Jesus wept. He is on his own against world class defenders, with our shittest midfield in years punting balls over his head.

He's clearly fast and powerful, but its impossible to do everything on his own. (again, as with the others, he was knackered for most of the second half).

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

pointsofdata posted:

This thread is pathetic, how can people who devote so much time to a sport, struggle so badly with analysing a match "hur dur he hasnt scored a garl yit so therefore he iz fkn shite"

A striker is measured by the amount of goals they score, not on some loving silly stat like aerial duels won.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Spiller posted:

I haven't seen a lot of Jozy but every time I do see him he doesn't seem to know what to do when a good striker would try to win the ball in the air. He just looks lost and confused when a high cross comes in.

Also this, good strikers challenge for every ball because it tires and unsettles defenders, making them more likely to make mistakes. This is what I was referring to with "doesn't hassle defenders". He does nothing to challenge defenders.

His finishing is actually the only aspect of his game that isn't awful, his ruled out goal v Arsenal was good, and he wasn't crap at it in Holland. But he's not mentally quick enough, and doesn't actually do anything to help the team.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

pointsofdata posted:

He has 0 assists this season

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

I've spent years watching incredibly poor target man with no idea how to play football, and this year Maiga and Petric have been excellent examples. Both of those shithouses are better than Jozy. Carlton Cole was better than Jozy, and he genuinely can't get a premier league contract right now.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

the sex ghost posted:

1) Emile Heskey

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

pointsofdata posted:

Agreed OP, you've got it all sussed.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

pointsofdata posted:

Yeah he really would've done well competing with Klose, Floccari, Higuain and Insigne.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Olewithmilk posted:

1) Emile Heskey

2) Tim Howard

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

pointsofdata posted:

It seems like this is exactly what happens, OP, unless you want to count international friendlies, or MK Dons.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

pointsofdata posted:

You appear to support at least 2 teams in the football league which is strange and please stop melting down

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Shrapnac posted:

2) Tim Howard

3) Rory Delap

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Reminder that Altidore and the Americans will yet again progress further in the World Cup than England. Makes you think.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

pointsofdata posted:

What do you want instead? He has no goals, no assists and despite coming up against an iffy looking United defence he never put them under pressure. My proof that he's a garbageman who does nothing is in the numbers, I'm still waiting for evidence that he's good.

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.

Spangly A posted:

I've spent years watching incredibly poor target man with no idea how to play football, and this year Maiga and Petric have been excellent examples. Both of those shithouses are better than Jozy. Carlton Cole was better than Jozy, and he genuinely can't get a premier league contract right now.

this is the most damming statement

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Your Weird Uncle posted:

i support west ham united football club

I don't think you do.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

pointsofdata posted:

Friendlies don't count.

In competitive fixtures, Jozy has scored a grand total of one (1) goal against a non-poo poo team. Much like his record in the Premier League, in fact.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Olewithmilk posted:

3) Rory Delap

4) John Obi Mikel

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Friendlies don't count.

In competitive fixtures, Jozy has scored a grand total of one (1) goal against a non-poo poo team. Much like his record in the Premier League, in fact.

I watch all the USAMNT non friendlies and he's incredibly bad in them as well he's a complete garbageman and his jozyliebers are embarrassing.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
The confederations cup may as well be classed as a friendly tournament tbqh.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

pointsofdata posted:

lol what do you mean again

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

vyelkin posted:

I actually saw that goal in Detroit, it was well taken.

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.

vaginal culture posted:

I don't think you do.

i could not care less what you think

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Jozy needs to embrace lad culture in a big way he is such a little nancyboy he plays like a big pussy i think he has body image issues in fact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Jozy is dogshit.

• Locked thread