Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

redneck sushi posted:

I suspect Annie has the same ability as Eren to control other titans, just to a lesser degree.

It is pretty clear that Annie has no control over titans. During the fight with the scouting legion they are attacking her, why would she order them to do that? It doesn't make any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

redneck sushi posted:

I suspect Annie has the same ability as Eren to control other titans, just to a lesser degree.

Were that true, Eren would have been aware of it. Reiner and Bert could feel it when Eren used his power. If she were doing anything but just making a ruckus to call titans to her, Eren would have picked up on it.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I wanna be the titan king! is now confirmed.

Yeah that is something I would like confirmed, is if Reiner, Ymir, and Berthold all received Eren's orders. I think the lightning bolts imply that but I wanna know for sure. Edit: Actually I think they do, when Eren tells Reiner to stop, it appears he stops in place and can't move. So Annie did not have this power or she could have easily defeated Eren.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 5, 2013

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Has the author already thrown in a cameo of himself as a titan? I feel like the idea's too fun to pass up.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Yeah that was a pretty Asian looking titan - not sure if we saw any others before, or if we can even tell or not, but the one that ate whoever was talking to Erwin looked unique. Don't know the author's appearance so I can't tell if it's a cameo or not, but if not, it'd be interesting, considering Mikasa is the only Asian human we've seen.

Also, do we know what hit Jean?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Yeah that is something I would like confirmed, is if Reiner, Ymir, and Berthold all received Eren's orders. I think the lightning bolts imply that but I wanna know for sure. Edit: Actually I think they do, when Eren tells Reiner to stop, it appears he stops in place and can't move. So Annie did not have this power or she could have easily defeated Eren.

Stopping in place with the shocked face after somebody says/does something shocking is the most anime/manga/Japanese thing ever. Don't read too much into it.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

RBX posted:

Stopping in place with the shocked face after somebody says/does something shocking is the most anime/manga/Japanese thing ever. Don't read too much into it.

"Back then, I didn't understand the meaning of Ymir's behavior, but all I know is that after that, the "Armored Titan" didn't come to our pursuit anymore." It's pretty clear cut, Reiner was just not able to chase.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think it was more than just mindless titans, I was under the impression he was controlling Bert and Ernie, too.

My interpretation was that Ymir/Bertholdt/Reiner received Eren's titan command since they qualify as titans, but aren't being controlled by the command like the mindless ones. It's like Eren chose to CC: All Titans and the sentient, transforming titans have their own will to decide whether or not to comply. I would also argue that it's possible the sentient titans had no choice in following the orders since Reiner apparently didn't chase after the humans after the fight, but Ymir was able to move around on her own just fine after Eren's command and plop Historia onto a horse and jump back into the fray punching mindless titans. I think Reiner didn't chase after Eren and the humans after the fight simply because he was overwhelmed by Eren's angered titans.

Tetsuo Hara's Reiner!:swoon:

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
So is this the second time Chuckles provoked Eren to new motivations and heights of insanity? R.I.P. Hannes, but Eren is probably going to use his new power to screw up in a major way. That is his nature and the nature of this manga. Time to re-read the whole series looking for times Eren may have subconsciously been commanding titans.

I'm impressed at how every new chapter has something amazing in it. There is no downtime, no pause to contemplate what has happened except in the month between new chapters. Isayama is a brilliant writer.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Adelheid posted:

"Back then, I didn't understand the meaning of Ymir's behavior, but all I know is that after that, the "Armored Titan" didn't come to our pursuit anymore." It's pretty clear cut, Reiner was just not able to chase.

I kinda interpreted that as meaning that Reiner and Bert realized that if they came to wherever everyone lives again they'd die. Sure, they'd put some holes in walls, but Bert's a siege weapon that's probably useless in a fight since he hasn't transformed at all in the past few chapters. And Reiner wouldn't stand a chance against Eren, Mikasa, and an army of rage titans.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Adelheid posted:

In all of the chapters of this battle Reiner. Bert, Eren, and Ymir talk about not being able to fight from being tired and the amount of titans around. They just gave up this battle and retreated.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hannes. :qq: Granted, the dude threw up every death flag trope he possibly could and held out until the end. RIP, you drunken loon. I've joked in the past that Eren would be a candidate for the Red Lantern Corps due being UNSTOPPABLE RAGE, The Protagonist. I never expected he eventually find a way to channel that rage in other Titans to do his bidding. :stare: Atroticus, Butcher...sleep with one eye open from now on.

Also, nice to see Sasha again...even if it was just for a special magazine cover spread. :unsmith:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

It just appears that the other shifter titans (maybe even Annie? :unsmigghh:) received Eren's command but they have their own will, so they don't have to follow. Ymir could move around just fine and even talk to Historia. The ending words imply that Reiner was so tired and focused on protecting Bert that after Ymir rescued them, they decided to retreat for this battle. Now why Ymir decided to rescue them (and what is "goen'a") is definitely a mystery for the ages.

Oh, and we were talking about how pointy ears = commander. Well, Ymir has pointy ears too: http://www.mangabee.com/shingeki-no-kyojin/50/34/
I'm kind of inclined to believe that she's the prototype commander type titan or whatever. She stole something from Reiner's people.

Archer2338 posted:

Also, do we know what hit Jean?
Right before Armin screams his name, a titan looks like it was falling. So one of the titans that Reiner was throwing probably hit him. I don't think he's dead, or Armin wouldn't be bringing him along. (Please don't be dead :ohdear:)

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 5, 2013

Seriously Safe
Sep 7, 2009
I can only imagine how much of a field day Hanji is going to have with Eren when she finds out he can control titans.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I don't think pointy ears signify anything. There are all sorts of fascinating deformities and irregularities in the various titan bodies, and the presence of elf ears is probably just as important as the number of teeth a titan has or the presence of male pattern baldness.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I think the "goen'a" is supposed to be "sorry" mangled through titan lips, but the translators didn't pick up on it for some reason.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Soulcleaver posted:

I don't think pointy ears signify anything. There are all sorts of fascinating deformities and irregularities in the various titan bodies, and the presence of elf ears is probably just as important as the number of teeth a titan has or the presence of male pattern baldness.

Well, we all know that Eren is winning in both the elf ear and number of teeth category. 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Aww :(

I was kind of hoping that Hannes would continue to throw up every death flag in the book and yet somehow, mysteriously, defy all expectations and conventions and continue to live till the end of the series. It would've been neat.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Poor Hannes. I figured he was dead sooner or later, but was hoping he'd survive against the odds. Or at least get to make a bigger impact before biting it.

Also those panels with Armin trying to protect Jean really get to me. The expression and posture just convey a sense of a futile gesture but its the least he can do. Just have to ignore the perspective issues on the top half of page 23 though.

Did not see this twist coming either. Things are going to get crazier from here and I'm looking forward to it.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
To be honest, I hope that things cool down for a bit after this. It's basically just been non-stop poo poo going down since the female titan arc, probably wouldn't be a bad idea to let the plot take a breather for a while.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

To be honest, I hope that things cool down for a bit after this. It's basically just been non-stop poo poo going down since the female titan arc, probably wouldn't be a bad idea to let the plot take a breather for a while.

Seeing as how we only get a new chapter once a month I'm gonna have to disagree.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Seriously Safe posted:

I can only imagine how much of a field day Hanji is going to have with Eren when she finds out he can control titans.
All I can imagine is Eren casually revealing his new power in a field report and Hanji going full "6 year old on a massive sugar rush and pinballing around the room" mode, causing a massive tone shift in the scene. Because that's how Hanji rolls. Seriously, I am awaiting her reaction to this development. :allears:

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
Still don't understand why titan village sent kids to tear down the walls.

Theory: maybe they weren't kids, maybe the titan serum dramtically slows down aging the same way it heals wounds, like Wolverine's healing factor. So Reiner's group weren't kids when Eren was a kid, instead they were already adults and appear to be the same age as Eren and the other recruits because they age slower. The problem is this idea still wouldn't explain Eren, who was injected with the serum after the initial attack.

Simstim fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 6, 2013

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Simstim posted:

I think it's intentionally supposed to mirror the kids of the Walls fighting against the titans.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Simstim posted:

They don't need no education. :suicide:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I always figured it was to get them in easier. They broke through Wall Maria so there would be a flood of refugees. That would let them get into the training corps without making their (lack of a) background suspicious. Which is also why they stopped with Maria.

Big L
Oct 30, 2005

Fedora Emelianenko
Quick question for you guys. I finally watched all 25 episodes of this series: it's pretty great and I want to read the manga. Should I start from the very beginning? Did the anime cover the manga well enough that I could continue at a later chapter?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Genocyber posted:

I always figured it was to get them in easier. They broke through Wall Maria so there would be a flood of refugees. That would let them get into the training corps without making their (lack of a) background suspicious. Which is also why they stopped with Maria.

Then why attack Trost?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Simstim posted:

Theory: maybe they weren't kids, maybe the titan serum dramtically slows down aging the same way it heals wounds, like Wolverine's healing factor. So Reiner's group weren't kids when Eren was a kid, instead they were already adults and appear to be the same age as Eren and the other recruits because they age slower. The problem is this idea still wouldn't explain Eren, who was injected with the serum after the initial attack.

I think Genocyber called it right. Ymir keeps talking about how things are going to change soon, I'm assuming that the titan shifter faction are gearing up to attack and the trio's job was to get into the military police and be a sleeper cell for when that day arrived. Their plan changed when Eren showed up because he's a titan commander, and could prevent titan shifter casualties by controlling a mindless titan army. That must be why they're looking for monkey trouble as well, because he can do the same thing. That's just speculation though.

Also from a narrative point of view the trio are villainous counterparts to Eren, Mikasa, and Armin.

quote:

Then why attack Trost?

Humans kill themselves off with in-fighting. Mop up the survivors.

quote:

Quick question for you guys. I finally watched all 25 episodes of this series: it's pretty great and I want to read the manga. Should I start from the very beginning? Did the anime cover the manga well enough that I could continue at a later chapter?

Yes. The manga tends to do everything better than the anime, except for the action.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 6, 2013

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Big L posted:

If you want to read the manga, you're pretty safe to start reading at http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/32/2 , as the two mediums tell almost the identical story. The final fight between Eren and Annie is quite different, so I'd recommend re-reading that.

There's also a short side-story not covered in the anime from earlier in the series that's important to later events, so I'd recommend giving http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/16/3 a shot as well.

Lastly, THIS THREAD IS DANGEROUS you should get out while you can! Untagged spoilers are everywhere.

Big L
Oct 30, 2005

Fedora Emelianenko
Will do, thanks for the info!

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009

Squidster posted:

There's also a short side-story not covered in the anime from earlier in the series that's important to later events, so I'd recommend giving http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/16/3 a shot as well.

Reading this again and comparing it to the latest chapter and some of the things Reiner and Bert said recently raises some interesting questions.

So there's the idea that maybe the titans eat people because somebody with command power told them to awhile back. Does anyone else wonder if the thing Ymir stole wasn't necessarily just the titan power, but if the previous sentence turns out to be true, maybe she tried to insert into the titan's current commands some sort of message or counter-command? And the encounter in the quoted link was an attempt by a deviant to transmit that message or carry out that order, but the "eat all humans" one was too strong?

Maybe Ymir's some sort of defector or traitor wherever the other human titans come from.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Autumncomet posted:

(and what is "goen'a")
If it's not lovely translation, probably something like "goodbye" or "survive" or "beloved" in the other language that Ymir knows. Definitely some sort of parting.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 6, 2013

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I think Genocyber called it right. Ymir keeps talking about how things are going to change soon, I'm assuming that the titan shifter faction are gearing up to attack and the trio's job was to get into the military police and be a sleeper cell for when that day arrived. Their plan changed when Eren showed up because he's a titan commander, and could prevent titan shifter casualties by controlling a mindless titan army. That must be why they're looking for monkey trouble as well, because he can do the same thing. That's just speculation though.

Also from a narrative point of view the trio are villainous counterparts to Eren, Mikasa, and Armin.

Humans kill themselves off with in-fighting. Mop up the survivors.

I like this explaination. Reiner's group's original mission was to destroy the first two walls and infiltrate the military police to act as a vanguard to attack the enemy (the nobles/church) in the final assualt against the third wall. Which begs the question - does the nobility have their own shifter titans to act as a reserve to protect them if the third wall is ever attacked? the collosus titans insides the walls, and a power similiar to Eren's new found ability being the most likely answer for why they are there means the noblity has it's own "titan power" like titan village.

Bear with me now, it can be inferered from the above that the origins of both titan village and the walled civilization (100+ years ago) may have begun as a difference in philosophy from within the same group about how to make humanity survive. Titan village would've been the more conservative view that only humans with titan powers should survive and stay below the radar, while the nobility's view would be to use regular humans through manipulation and controling them to support a more luxuriant lifestyle for themselves via basic economics.

I think why titan village chose a simplier lifestyle and also the source of their conflict with the walled civilization has everything to do with sasquatch titan, who by himself, represents a third radical faction who believes in taking extreme measures to exterminate all of humanity, including the other titan factions. (by guess is all three factions are linked together by enviromentalism). By building a large walled civilization, titan village was afraid the nobility would eventually attract his attention, the worse finally came to pass when he showed up, before titan village could wipe out the walled civilization, which now puts them all in danger of extinction due to him.

Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Someone's gonna have to fill me in on the references besides Eren/Annie/Reiner/Erwin ones. sorry for asking if this has been asked before. :v:

Is connie supposed to be astro boy or something?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Here's the list:

Eren – Oda Eiichiro (One Piece)
Mikasa – Kishimoto Masashi (Naruto)
Armin – Raiku Makoto (Zatch Bell, Animal Land)
Annie -Toriyama Akira (Dragon Ball)
Levi – Shinjo Mayu (Sensual Phrase)
Jean – Sorachi Hideaki (Gintama)
Sasha – Hanasaki Akira (Oishinbo)
Connie – Takahashi Youichi (Captain Tsubasa)
Marco – Sakura Momoko (Chibi Maruko-chan )
Hanji – Maya Mineo (Patalliro!)
Reiner – Hara Tetsuo (Fist of the North Star)
Bertholdt – Hasegawa Machiko (Sazae-san)
Krista – Miuchi Suzue (Glass Mask)
Ymir – Aoyama Goushou (Detective Conan)
Irwin - Araki Hirohiko (Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure)

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

It really is amazing how easily Reiner could be adapted for Fist of the North Star, character model-wise.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

AradoBalanga posted:

It really is amazing how easily Reiner could be adapted for Fist of the North Star, character model-wise.

And Titan wise. It wasn't like that show lacked for giant dudes and armored dudes. Giant armored dudes wouldn't be that weird.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Irwin's gonna have trouble pulling off Jojo poses with one arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Soulcleaver posted:

Irwin's gonna have trouble pulling off Jojo poses with one arm.

Until it regrows. :kheldragar: