Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Wyeth posted:

Handy guide. Red is bad.

Oh this is super helpful, thank you.

8th-snype posted:

I wish you hadn't cut off their hands in this one.

Yeah :/. I should have known, I was reading through the portrait thread before that shoot. Next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

So on Chamonix's website it says the 4x5 cameras use Linhof lens boards, do they mean Linhof Tech or Linhof Kardan? They look a little different and thus I assume they are different or maybe it doesn't matter?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

eggsovereasy posted:

So on Chamonix's website it says the 4x5 cameras use Linhof lens boards, do they mean Linhof Tech or Linhof Kardan? They look a little different and thus I assume they are different or maybe it doesn't matter?

Technika-style lensboards.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Also don't buy linhof branded lensboards because they are about 3 or 4 times the price of a no name one on ebay.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 2, 2013

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Thanks guys, I just bought a "miscellaneous" brand board from keh for $7.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!
Apologies that my first post in a year is just to brag but I am flipping out and wanted to tell someone who realises that this is actually a rad thing: just won a photo competition run by the Swedish embassy in Tokyo and Hasselblad, the prize is a free trip to Sweden and a tour of the Hasselblad factory. Real Roald Dahl moment.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
You get to go where magic is made...

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Reichstag posted:

You get to go where magic is made...

I thought Pentax wasn't making new p67s anymore?

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Mr. Despair posted:

I thought Pentax wasn't making new p67s anymore?

Says the man that sold his...

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

Apologies that my first post in a year is just to brag but I am flipping out and wanted to tell someone who realises that this is actually a rad thing: just won a photo competition run by the Swedish embassy in Tokyo and Hasselblad, the prize is a free trip to Sweden and a tour of the Hasselblad factory. Real Roald Dahl moment.

Awesome! Congratulations!

It better not be a year before we see pictures from said trip & tour.

Also, can you show us the winning photo? Or a link to a gallery of the enrants?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

I want to see his stuff from when we were shooting on Hachijojima and Aogashima in July :colbert:

(Nevermind that I still haven't processed any of mine...)

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

A bit more of Acros

Parkroyal, Upper Pickering St, 2012 by alkanphel, on Flickr

City Hall, 2012 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Tiong Bahru, 2012 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Tiong Bahru, 2012 by alkanphel, on Flickr

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

I'm not sure why people complain about getting low contrast from Acros because this is great, especially the last one.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Acros is pretty much all contrast.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
More importantly who complains about low contrast? There's a billion ways to add contrast in post but all the ways to remove it suck. Give me a flat neg scan any day of the week.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Maybe I just been reading too much internet bullshit about home dev from places that are not the Dorkroom, I dunno.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

8th-snype posted:

More importantly who complains about low contrast? There's a billion ways to add contrast in post but all the ways to remove it suck. Give me a flat neg scan any day of the week.

Well, you're right of course. But if the negative turns out too flat, which I had happen to me at least once, it's also a pain in the neck to bring up the contrast as any subtle tonal separation basically goes out of the window and you get this kind of solarized look.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!

ExecuDork posted:

Awesome! Congratulations!

Also, can you show us the winning photo? Or a link to a gallery of the enrants?

Thanks!

The images are all on display at a museum at the moment as part of a larger exhibition on Swedish Innovation (which was the theme of the contest), and I'm not sure if there will be a web gallery at some point or not. I thought my idea a kinda unique one with slightly over the top execution, but it turns out it wasn't so unique at all as there were several other people with very similar images, but I was lucky enough to get picked all the same. I think it might have been the fact that I combined Japanese stuff with Swedish stuff that clinched it, from talking to some of the organisers last night. Anyway here it is:

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I want to see his stuff from when we were shooting on Hachijojima and Aogashima in July :colbert:

(Nevermind that I still haven't processed any of mine...)

I have to work through a bit of Australia and Nara stuff first for a proposal I'm working on...

I can post that one of your pretty face though if you want ;-*

EDIT: Originally I submitted three images, but it was that first one that was chosen.

Lon Lon Rabbit fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 3, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

VomitOnLino posted:

Says the man that sold his...

I gave it to a better home so that it could be loved and prosper like a p67 deserves to.

:smith:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Mr. Despair posted:

I gave it to a better home so that it could be loved and prosper like a p67 deserves to.

:smith:

:respek: I sold mine because 4x5 is the one true rectangular format.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

I thought my idea a kinda unique one with slightly over the top execution
I see what you did there.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

They tried to deliver my Chamonix this morning, but I was asleep and I can't pick it up from the post office until Monday :argh:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Large format demands commitment!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

eggsovereasy posted:

They tried to deliver my Chamonix this morning, but I was asleep and I can't pick it up from the post office until Monday :argh:

Welcome to the club.:getin:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
My first color shots with my Pentax 67's 55mm f/4 lens, and first P67 shots of Portra 160 where I know what I'm doing. 55mm (~28mm on a 35mm camera) is the perfect focal length for me.

Welcome by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Office and AMC Eagle by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Ask For Our Free Cup Of Coffee by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Front Office Lounge by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Bikers Welcome Secure Parking by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

atomicthumbs posted:

My first color shots with my Pentax 67's 55mm f/4 lens, and first P67 shots of Portra 160 where I know what I'm doing. 55mm (~28mm on a 35mm camera) is the perfect focal length for me.

[Cool pictures, but those horizontals!] :argh:

Those are nice shots, and the 55mm is a fantastic lens.
Nice to see you revisit a location, too.

But son, straighten those horizontals! Or I will come to your house ... and straighten them for you.
It's really just three clicks in LR or PS. (Click tool, Click Point #1, Click Point #2)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

VomitOnLino posted:

Those are nice shots, and the 55mm is a fantastic lens.
Nice to see you revisit a location, too.

But son, straighten those horizontals! Or I will come to your house ... and straighten them for you.
It's really just three clicks in LR or PS. (Click tool, Click Point #1, Click Point #2)

I've already straightened each of them; the parking lot has a slight slope to it. (Also I'm not revisiting, just processing my big folder of TIFFs from that trip :ssh:)

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

That's the creepiest place ever.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Shot 8 sheets this morning. Then when I was packing up noticed that I had forgotten to reset the rear swing I used on the first photo I made. Hope the other ones aren't too hosed up.:emo:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

8th-snype posted:

Shot 8 sheets this morning. Then when I was packing up noticed that I had forgotten to reset the rear swing I used on the first photo I made. Hope the other ones aren't too hosed up.:emo:

Shouldn't it be obvious on the ground glass if the rear swing is off? (I don't play with rear swings at all having said that).

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Spedman posted:

Shouldn't it be obvious on the ground glass if the rear swing is off? (I don't play with rear swings at all having said that).

if it wasn't pronounced enough to be immediately noticeable on the ground glass, it probably won't be too bad

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Yeah, I don't often use rear movements at all. So my only concern is how it will affect my the DOF I was counting on, it was too dark out to check focus stopped down. I'll probably dev the Hp5+ later tonight so hopefully it's fine.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

show me your rear movements

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

aliencowboy posted:

show me your rear movements

you gotta buy me dinner first.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Does anyone have any recommendations for looking after a camera that is/has been out in seaspray?? I was just out on deck taking some photos of the gnarly weather we're heading into and my MF copped a tiny bit of spray, not much, and the filter got most of it, but to be really anal, is there some process I can go through to make sure my camera is free of any lingering particles of salt, or a cleaning product/method I can use?

I'm pretty sure it's ok, but for future reference would be good to know..

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

wipe

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Put your camera in a plastic bag

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Went out with my girlfriend. I need to learn more about directing people when posing.

12360001.jpg by spikespikespike, on Flickr

12350009.jpg by spikespikespike, on Flickr

12350001.jpg by spikespikespike, on Flickr

I want to reshoot that last night, missed focus.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Sludge Tank posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for looking after a camera that is/has been out in seaspray?? I was just out on deck taking some photos of the gnarly weather we're heading into and my MF copped a tiny bit of spray, not much, and the filter got most of it, but to be really anal, is there some process I can go through to make sure my camera is free of any lingering particles of salt, or a cleaning product/method I can use?

I'm pretty sure it's ok, but for future reference would be good to know..
Seawater, as I'm sure you know, is nasty. Rinse it off with fresh water, then wipe off the fresh water. If your camera gets submerged or heavily splashed, immerse it in fresh water (do I need to tell anyone DO NOT TURN IT ON?), and seek professional help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I was fitting my 10 stop ND filter to my camera outside just now (on a ship), the wind picked up and ripped it out of my hand and I watched in slow motion as it sailed like a lost kite down to the water and disappeared.

:smithicide:

• Locked thread