Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Soulcleaver posted:

Irwin's gonna have trouble pulling off Jojo poses with one arm.
He just needs one arm to do them. It's all about body posture in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

I wonder if Eren has a bunch of other powers tucked away that he doesn't know about. When he was injected his dad said something about "Using Their Memories" for whatever reason, maybe all he's got some other crazy poo poo locked away that he just hasn't had reason to use yet. Kind of like how amnesiacs can pick up a gun and know how to use it, despite not knowing how, why or where they learned how and didn't even know they could until they picked it up.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I really don't think that even Monkey Trouble has the power to command any titans -- http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/35/34 -- though he at least isn't attacked on sight by the mindless titans. Eren seems to be completely unique, hence his importance to Reiner and Bertholdt's mission.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

minimalist posted:

I really don't think that even Monkey Trouble has the power to command any titans -- http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/35/34 -- though he at least isn't attacked on sight by the mindless titans. Eren seems to be completely unique, hence his importance to Reiner and Bertholdt's mission.

At one point he goes "hey I'm done with this dude, go ahead and eat 'em or whatever". He can clearly control them, it's just not perfect because Titans are kinda dumb.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

My favorite part is the end when he just goes "oh man this is pretty cool!".

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

minimalist posted:

Does this mean that even the normal (supposedly brainless) titans are capable of understanding and disobeying orders? Or is their natural instinct to eat people just difficult for a titan commander to overcome?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Soulcleaver posted:

Does this mean that even the normal (supposedly brainless) titans are capable of understanding and disobeying orders? Or is their natural instinct to eat people just difficult for a titan commander to overcome?

It's probably like when Eren was first learning how to control being a titan. You have to have a goal/purpose behind your command. They won't pick flowers because you told them to, but simple commands like attack and stop are communicable.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Reaction to poorly translated version off Chinese raw, using my imagination and What We Know to make more sense out of some less intelligible passages:

HOLY loving poo poo ABOUT TIME WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO

Attack On Titan just got baller as gently caress as a title, this is now my favorite running manga (sorry I Am A Hero, you're a close second though if it's any consolation).

Edit: It is definitely basement time, if we're halfway through we gotta get some more reveals going on in a hurry!

Agreed fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 6, 2013

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
:stare: Holy gently caress that chapter was nuts. A new AoT release really does make my month.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Neo_Crimson posted:

At one point he goes "hey I'm done with this dude, go ahead and eat 'em or whatever". He can clearly control them, it's just not perfect because Titans are kinda dumb.

You may be right; I had assumed that it wasn't really a command, and the titans moved in for the kill because they were dimly aware that Biggest One Who Smash Us Move Away From Food, Time For Eat.

Monkey Trouble's attempt to command the tiny bug-eyed titan struck me as though he was actually trying to reason with it -- that he assumed these titans were cognizant. In that case, his commands were more because he occupied some position of authority in whatever civilization he came from, rather than representing some mental-command ability. I still think this might be the case, which could also mean he represents a third faction (not aligned with either the Wall humans or the human-titans), and one that was so far removed from those factions (and their conflict) that he wasn't even aware of the existence of mindless titans.

Or, more frighteningly, he has the ability to control the intelligent human-titans, and not the mindless ones, in a reversal of Eren's ability.

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 6, 2013

Seriously Safe
Sep 7, 2009
Eren's face when he realizes he just launched a hoard of titans at Chuckles is priceless.

Holy poo poo did I do that?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
It's hard to tell exactly what he's feeling there. It doesn't help that Isayama really likes drawing :stonk: faces either.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Neo_Crimson posted:

The scouting legion guys at the castle tower also suspected him of sending the larger horde of titans their way after he killed all their horses and two of thier guys. last two pages: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Shingeki-no-Kyojin/Vol-010-Ch-039--Soldier?id=147257

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So titans can be controlled by strong impulses in unique individuals? Their destructive consuming nature would then be a manifestation of an individual's pure hatred.

So perhaps... titans are just running on standing orders and someone long in the past was a serious misanthrope.

In any case, the titans reacted to anger. Which is why Eren is the very worst person to have that power (from Reiner's perspective). The guy is such pure condensed angry that if angry had mass he'd be a black hole.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Titan eats Android 18, evolves into more powerful titan.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
edit: whoops, had an old version of the thread open

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Say Nothing posted:

Titan eats Android 18, evolves into more powerful titan.

So that's where Ape Titan comes from.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
I caught up on the manga pretty much right after ( I suppose) the translation was done for 49. How long should I expect to wait before there's an english translation, approximately?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Syrant posted:

I caught up on the manga pretty much right after ( I suppose) the translation was done for 49. How long should I expect to wait before there's an english translation, approximately?

I read it last night, so... now?

v My mistake then, I'm not a big reader of mangas and such.

e: still confused, I was talking about chapter fifty? :confused:

Brain started working, you're waiting on a decent translation of fifty okay.

Seagull fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Oct 6, 2013

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Captain Pissweak posted:

I read it last night, so... now?

I assume he meant actual English, not "Scanslation English".

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
My mistake I meant for chapter 50, I worded that poorly. I got caught up to 49 soon after 49 was released so I'm not familiar with the time it takes for a group to do a decent english translation.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mangastream normally does it a few hours after the first translation is out but they're slower than normal this month.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
So a small question and may not need to be spoiled, but: they've made no mention at all of Eren's dad much other than the serum injecting and him peacing out. Is there a possibility he's the Ape Titan? Or does it appear that the Ape Titan's just a very sentient titan? I was reading back and the way the Ape pretty much mentions to the soldier about "what's in the nape of our necks" implies he might be a pilot himself, but he's obviously really disconnected from the world as he had no idea about the 3D gear. He also ordered the attack on Bert, Ernie and Ymir. Might be a thing that the Ape/Dad ordered the lesser titans to kill off more of the shifters that could threaten Eren.

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Oct 6, 2013

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
There's no way Grisha wouldn't know about the 3DMG.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Grisha had alot of contacts in the various institutions that made up the walled society. He was friends, or at least acquaintances with the former recon corps commander/drill sergeant. So his disappearance is extremely suspicious, either he is being held very closely by the military police or the wall cult.

Then again, if Grisha was held by those guys, and if he really wanted to see his son, then the recon corps would probably never have the authority to take Eren. So scratch that tught.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Phobophilia posted:

Grisha had alot of contacts in the various institutions that made up the walled society. He was friends, or at least acquaintances with the former recon corps commander/drill sergeant. So his disappearance is extremely suspicious, either he is being held very closely by the military police or the wall cult.

Then again, if Grisha was held by those guys, and if he really wanted to see his son, then the recon corps would probably never have the authority to take Eren. So scratch that tught.
[SPECULATION]
Grisha, like Ymir, both stole some apparently injectable nanotech MacGuffin that gives whoever gets it Titan power. Ymir was training to get her approved titan form but was denied for some reason. She decided to just gently caress it and get it anyway, lost control and ended up a mindless titan for a long time. The only known process of removing the power known so far is lethal to the host so she's hoping that if she makes herself useful they'll let her live.

Grisha was somehow directly involved with the Titan Wranglers, he deliberately (or not) stole the titan Coordinator batch and the Titan Wranglers freaked out and ordered it be retrieved at whatever expense even if it meant killing a fuckload of people inside the walls.

They breached Maria because there was really no other way to infiltrate unnoticed and spent the next 5 years trying to ferret out if Grisha had already injected someone with the stuff or if they successfully prevented him from doing so when they unleashed hell on wall Maria. After spending 5 years getting nowhere they breached Trost to stir the pot and their plan worked, Eren revealed himself. Having got what they wanted there was no point in the Armored titan breaching Rose itself.

The Titan Wranglers are descendants of the original scientists involved in whatever project went wrong 100 years ago that got everyone killed. They walled off some area so they wouldn't have to be in their titan form all the time and have been working on improving the tech since then to try to deal with the titans until they find a way to reverse the process in a non lethal way for the human host.
When the Coordinator batch got stolen they figured it would be worth sacrificing a lot of people if that meant preventing some idiot from accidentally bringing all the wall titans back to life or using titans as a weapon against them.
The Coordinator batch was either meant as a tool to heard titans until they could cure them or to use as a weapon against Monkey Trouble, assuming he's not just a "kill all humans" faction leader inside their organization.

Monkey Trouble is one of the original scientists involved in the project, he has survived all this time by permanently staying in his titan form. Odds are that he deliberately released the titanification agent in the general population because of :misanthropic_reasons:.
If he's not a nutty faction leader inside the Wranglers he's been roaming around the world, basking in the glory of what he's done so he hadn't really checked out on the surviving humans before in a long time, maybe he even ignored they existed. He somehow got wind that Coordinator batch got stolen and that's what brought him here now.

The Reiss family historical patriarch was one of the original scientists too but instead of joining the others and saying "poo poo is hosed, let's keep ourselves alive and gently caress everyone else" he used his knowledge in an ethically dubious way to sacrifice hundreds of thousands of people into becoming wall giants in order to save a million or so normal people. The government covered it all up because jesus loving christ society would collapse the next day if they ever found out any of this poo poo. The king no one ever sees is Reiss the 1st, either he's a long dead desiccated mummy or he's kept alive underground in titan form.

Oh and the forest of giant titan trees was probably part of those experiments done ages ago. :v:
[/SPECULATION]

Anyway, one thing that has been annoying me is how when Eren is given the injection and the basement key neither him nor Mikasa seem to make much of the fact that :siren: the basement key is now around his neck :siren:.
I mean "oh, hey, my basement key is around my neck, how peculiar. Wow, was a really vivid dream." Really? :psyduck:

I admit I've only read the manga from chapter 31 onward because I was told the anime was accurate to that point. Was this ever addressed? Does anyone ever question how the hell he got the key?

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Oct 6, 2013

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Neo_Crimson posted:

It's hard to tell exactly what he's feeling there. It doesn't help that Isayama really likes drawing :stonk: faces either.

Yeah, that's pretty much your standard issue Isayama "poo poo's going down" face.

So, is this the first time that Eren's Burning Shounen Spirit has paid off? That seems like it would be a pretty major shift in the tone of the manga, to me.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

MeLKoR posted:

I admit I've only read the manga from chapter 31 onward because I was told the anime was accurate to that point. Was this ever addressed? Does anyone ever question how the hell he got the key?

I'm pretty sure that it's acknowledged that the trio met up with his father some time after the attack and before he disappeared. During the scene in the manga I think that Eren says something like "what are you doing dad, ever since mom died, you've been acting really weird".

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Pensive posted:

I'm pretty sure that it's acknowledged that the trio met up with his father some time after the attack and before he disappeared. During the scene in the manga I think that Eren says something like "what are you doing dad, ever since mom died, you've been acting really weird".

It's the same in the anime but right after that scene he wakes up, says "I think I saw my father", Mikasa "nah I was right here, it was just a dream". He looks down to his neck, notices the key and just tucks it under his shirt. Neither of them mention it at all, neither acknowledge it couldn't have been just a dream because there was a physical key.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Is the chapter up anywhere or are we discussing chinese raws? :(

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Thoren posted:

Is the chapter up anywhere or are we discussing chinese raws? :(

Rejoice!

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I'm now wondering why Bert and Reinholt haven't just killed Eren when they had the chance. Did they somehow need to confirm he had the power to command titans? Or, do they need him to join their cause and command titans for them?

I'm guessing it's the latter. Bert and Reinhold need Eren to "join their team." By bringing him to their home, they believe they can somehow convince him to forget his burning, burning, burning hate for all things large chomping.

I don't see how Eren would ever change, though.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Thank you. That was very difficult to follow. It almost felt as if pages were missing.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Yeah theres no way he'll forgive them for killing like a million people, Hannes, his Mom, and all his cadet buddies.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

MeLKoR posted:

It's the same in the anime but right after that scene he wakes up, says "I think I saw my father", Mikasa "nah I was right here, it was just a dream". He looks down to his neck, notices the key and just tucks it under his shirt. Neither of them mention it at all, neither acknowledge it couldn't have been just a dream because there was a physical key.

The whole scene is actually compleatly different in the manga. Not the flashback, but everything else. In the manga the three of them are talking to Hannes after their graduation who mentions that Eren was the last person to see Grisha. He asks if Eren really doesn't remember what happened to him, then Eren blacks out and has the flashback to the injection scene. The flashback itself also implies that Grisha had been with them for at-least a short while, rather that just showing up to inject Eren then vanishing.

Edit: just to clarify; The same scene is in the animé, just minus the flashback and blacking out. Another difference is that in the manga they are in casual wear whereas in the animé they are in uniform. Hanes also never mentions Grisha in the animé version of the scene. This plot hole only exists in the show due to the flashback being moved from after the time-skip to before it.

Pensive fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 6, 2013

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

We know humans are being turned into Titans and we know Titans are used to build Walls. So it's a reasonable assumption that humans are being kept around behind the walls to serve as building materials. If some day the monkey will walk in, turn everyone into a Titan and then march them to his secret project in the monkey cave that explains both why the world behind the Wall can't last and why Bert and Ernie were suddenly in a hurry. Also, given what we learnt in the latest chapter it seems likely that they belong to another faction. Monkey can control Titans just fine. What would he need Eren for?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I really hope that the monkey titan is played by Tim Curry in the anime. I don't even care that he doesn't speak Japanese.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Simstim posted:

Still don't understand why titan village sent kids to tear down the walls.

Theory: maybe they weren't kids, maybe the titan serum dramtically slows down aging the same way it heals wounds, like Wolverine's healing factor. So Reiner's group weren't kids when Eren was a kid, instead they were already adults and appear to be the same age as Eren and the other recruits because they age slower. The problem is this idea still wouldn't explain Eren, who was injected with the serum after the initial attack.

You apparently didn't catch the part with Ymir talking about having stolen the Titan's power 60 years ago, despite that fact that she appears to be around 18 years old. So obviously Bert and Reiner are probably much much older than they appear.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

change my name posted:

I really hope that the monkey titan is played by Tim Curry in the anime. I don't even care that he doesn't speak Japanese.

If they run his voice through enough filters, his accent will make it sound even creepier!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

flowinprose posted:

You apparently didn't catch the part with Ymir talking about having stolen the Titan's power 60 years ago, despite that fact that she appears to be around 18 years old. So obviously Bert and Reiner are probably much much older than they appear.

The problem with this I feel is that Reiner, Bertie, and Annie were all meant to be for infiltration. So to keep up the guise they'd effectively have to be able to age. Let's not forget they were with the others for years and I'm pretty sure everyone would notice in the years if nothing about them changed while everyone else was. So Reiner and Bert have to be like in their late teens for everything to have generally worked unless they were in Titan form as little kids and they only recently came out of it. Couple this with Annie coming from the same village as those two and her definitely being in her teens, it's safe to say Bert and Reiner are about as old as everyone else.

Ymir's a different factor altogether. Her circumstances are very foggy and we still know next to nothing about her so for now, it's best to assume she's the only one of the shifters who's older than they look.