Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Ymir's a different factor altogether. Her circumstances are very foggy and we still know next to nothing about her so for now, it's best to assume she's the only one of the shifters who's older than they look.

My thought is that you probably stop aging as soon as you get "infected" or whatever as a titan. Similar to vampires in Interivew with a Vampire. So Ymir was probably around the age she appears now (16-18) when she stole the titan's power or whatever. By this logic, Eren will not age past what he is now.

But who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

Dan7el posted:

I'm now wondering why Bert and Reinholt haven't just killed Eren when they had the chance. Did they somehow need to confirm he had the power to command titans? Or, do they need him to join their cause and command titans for them?

I'm guessing it's the latter. Bert and Reinhold need Eren to "join their team." By bringing him to their home, they believe they can somehow convince him to forget his burning, burning, burning hate for all things large chomping.

I don't see how Eren would ever change, though.

It's pretty heavily implied that the commanding ability was stolen and they were trying to take it back. If you remember in chapter 47 Ymir saying she was going to be eaten by the titan village's warriors when they reached Reiner and Bert's hometown and then a chapter later saying she stole the titan power, it's possible to connect the dots and conclude that special powers such as the "coordinate" are transferred by eating the person with that power. The reason they were taking Eren back to their village was so he could be eaten by whoever is supposed to actually possess the coordinate.

This has some pretty strong implications about what happened to Grisha. Also, it still doesn't explain how a person becomes a titan in the first place, considering you need to be able to eat someone to even get their ability.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Waiting on a proper translation, but unless there's a special trigger I'm missing it kinda smacks of a typical shonen rear end-pull to have this ability first manifest in chapter 50.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Elotana posted:

Waiting on a proper translation, but unless there's a special trigger I'm missing it kinda smacks of a typical shonen rear end-pull to have this ability first manifest in chapter 50.

That assumes said ability actual proves beneficial to humanity.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sex_Ferguson posted:

The problem with this I feel is that Reiner, Bertie, and Annie were all meant to be for infiltration. So to keep up the guise they'd effectively have to be able to age. Let's not forget they were with the others for years and I'm pretty sure everyone would notice in the years if nothing about them changed while everyone else was. So Reiner and Bert have to be like in their late teens for everything to have generally worked unless they were in Titan form as little kids and they only recently came out of it. Couple this with Annie coming from the same village as those two and her definitely being in her teens, it's safe to say Bert and Reiner are about as old as everyone else.

Ymir's a different factor altogether. Her circumstances are very foggy and we still know next to nothing about her so for now, it's best to assume she's the only one of the shifters who's older than they look.

You can go for a pretty decent chunk of time without aging before people start noticing. Especially when the age group you're dealing with is that of late teens/early twenties. As of right now it's only been a couple years or so since everyone enlisted in the military anyway. Assuming that planed infiltration was intended to be for only a few years extra at most there's no fear of discovery at all.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Man if HQ was hard to trust him then, now he's gonna be handcuffed to Levi at all times.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Elotana posted:

People also thought the first time Eren turned into a titan was typically shonen-y. Isayama's way of dealing with that is to then raise the stakes even higher, so I have no doubt that humanity will be in even deeper poo poo within a few chapters.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

minimalist posted:

People also thought the first time Eren turned into a titan was typically shonen-y. Isayama's way of dealing with that is to then raise the stakes even higher, so I have no doubt that humanity will be in even deeper poo poo within a few chapters.

Probably? Definitely. I mean we haven't even seen the adult titan shifters (if there are any) yet.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Alright so lets look at the timeline of stuff.

Annie, Reiner, Bert + Ymir-food get sent to infiltrate the city.

Ymir-food gets eaten on the way, it's possible that the guy who Ymir ate was their scout, if Reiner is their tank, Bert their artillery and Annie is their fighter. Was Ymir always small and nippy or did she get that way after eating the guy?

So they breach the wall and infiltrate in the panicked evacuation. So far so good.

So what triggers their second wall breach? Were they trying to find the command titan and breaching the wall was an attempt to draw the commander titan out of hiding? This implies Eren's dad stole the command titan essence from them or acquired it some way.

Is it possible there is some struggle between two tribes of humanity on the outside fighting a war for control of the world? If Monkey Titan is one sides titan commander and Eren's dad stole the other sides one, it'd make sense that Team AnBeRe are desperate to get it back. Seeing Monkey Titan triggers the completely unplanned Eren kidnap by Bert and Reiner, presumably Monkey Titan getting Eren was considered an absolute disaster. I am assuming Monkey Titan and the others are on different sides.

Hmmm to create the walls you'd have to use a Titan Commander right? So either they were created by Monkey Titan (if he was around then and that seems possible) or they were created the other Titan Commander.

I wonder if a Titan Commander can convert humans to Titan mode?

Fantasy Tripe
Nov 4, 2009

HidaO-Win posted:

I wonder if a Titan Commander can convert humans to Titan mode?

Eren is going to accidentally titanize Mikasa, calling it now.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I hope she returns to the manga soon.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

AradoBalanga posted:

I hope she returns to the manga soon.

Heavy Potation. :colbert:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Elotana posted:

Bert and Ernie weren't dragging Eren's sorry rear end back to their hometown for the good of their health. We knew there was something going on that made him valuable to Team Titan, so I'd say that this latest revelation is a pretty organic development of that. The specific nature of the power is a surprise, but we've seen Monkey Trouble commanding them before and there was Annie in the forest, so it's not unprecedented. I'd say, actually, that the fact that this was could in no way be predicted from previous events, but then re-contextualised those events so that they become clues in hindsight, makes this a good twist.

If it was an asspull, it would be a pretty gratuitous one- there's no reason that Isayama couldn't have had Eren fully recovered and ready to shift by this chapter, he had by no means written himself into a corner. I think it's a lot more interesting that the alternative, too, as much as I like to watch Titan-Eren kicking rear end.

I think the main thing that's causing you to view this negatively (not trying to put words in your mouth, just interpret) is that this is a very "shounen-y" sort of twist- the MC getting an eleventh-hour powerup and saving the day- that has a history of being handled badly. But, unless you were expecting the series to end with the defeat of the protagonists or a stalemate, and given the implausibility of the protagonists gradually building up the resources necessary to win in this scenario, a large, game-changing twist had to occur at some point- the problem is simply too vast for them to solve. The half-way mark is a pretty good point for that to happen, too.

Plus, the reasons that make it a bad twist in your average shounen don't really apply here. In your ideal shonan fightan mango, the protagonist is faced with problems that are significant to their character, which they overcome through character development, which is actualised in the form of badassery, explosions, new supermoves etc. Powerups via authorial fiat are bad because they negate that, cutting out the most interesting part of the manga. In Shingeki, that's not a problem because it's more of a mystery manga (not to say that Eren's character development isn't interesting, necessarily, just that the mystery is front and centre- and in anycase, his character development is facilitated more through solving the mystery than punching things)- and this development doesn't negate the mystery, it actually serves to deepen it. Similarly, in Utena, the fact that every fight is decided by the ghost of God descending into Utena and granting her all-powerful sword skills is not a problem, because fights and sword skills are not the point. The fights are all metaphors for her opponents' internal problems, and she wins because the transcendent principle beats endlessly-turning-inward introspection.

Oh man, that was a lot of :words: about anime dudes punching each other.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Fantasy Tripe posted:

And Armin, and Jean, and they have to eat the other 3 to regain their humanity. Calling it now.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fantasy Tripe posted:

:aaa: It all makes sense now.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Titan Connie cracks me up every time I see it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

For some reason when I read this chapter I interpreted what happened with Eren as him coming into contact with the titan that ate his mom causing all the other titans to attack it; that is, if Eren touches a titan, it will then be attacked by other titans. That being said, I'm pretty sure that the people saying that he has the ability to command titans (to some extent, at least) are correct.

Also, despite everything that has happened, I still think that Reiner/Bertholdt will have some understandable reason for their actions. Not necessarily a reason that makes what they did good and a-okay, but something that at least makes sense given their circumstances. If there is really something sinister going on with the administration inside the walls, it isn't that extreme for them to attack the walls as they did.

I'm actually pretty disappointed that it looks like we won't be getting to see Reiner/Bertholdt's home village any time soon. I was actually hoping they'd succeed in taking Eren somehow. I have this feeling that whoever is in charge of Reiner/Bertholdt's village is actually less-bad than the folks that run the government inside the walls.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Ytlaya posted:

For some reason when I read this chapter I interpreted what happened with Eren as him coming into contact with the titan that ate his mom causing all the other titans to attack it; that is, if Eren touches a titan, it will then be attacked by other titans. That being said, I'm pretty sure that the people saying that he has the ability to command titans (to some extent, at least) are correct.

Eren didn't touch Reiner when he redirected the titans to attack him.

PowFu
Dec 31, 2010

minimalist posted:

I think that a time skip of at least a few weeks is likely after this chapter, considering that it seems to be the end of an arc and a ton characters are injured and require time to recover.

By the time we see Monkey Trouble again he will have developed a counter to the 3DMG, or 3D titans/whatever. Even with Eren's new ability will be I agree that things will be going lovely for humanity soon.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Genocyber posted:

:aaa: It all makes sense now.

Does... Mikasa turn into a man?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Doublestep posted:

No. Mikasa is just swole as hell.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Doublestep posted:

Men and women are completely identical underneath the skin except for women having wider hips on average. Breast tissue is simply milk ducts and fat placed over the pectoral muscles under the nipple. If anything Annie having muscle boobs is the weird thing, and Mikasa is more true to what a skinned woman would look like (if that woman was 5"5 and 150lbs of titan hate)

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

flowinprose posted:

My thought is that you probably stop aging as soon as you get "infected" or whatever as a titan. Similar to vampires in Interivew with a Vampire. So Ymir was probably around the age she appears now (16-18) when she stole the titan's power or whatever. By this logic, Eren will not age past what he is now.

But who knows.
Reiner's flashbacks of Ymir show a younger version of both him and Berthold.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

PowFu posted:

By the time we see Monkey Trouble again he will have developed a counter to the 3DMG, or 3D titans/whatever. Even with Eren's new ability will be I agree that things will be going lovely for humanity soon.

3DMG for the titans.

Alternatively, fly swatters.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
What Reiner said definity redeemed Eren pulling another powerup. The power is in the worst hands possible, for both titans and humans. I hope they follow through with it, though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Medieval Medic posted:

What Reiner said definity redeemed Eren pulling another powerup. The power is in the worst hands possible, for both titans and humans. I hope they follow through with it, though.

Yeah, I could easily see Eren commanding all titans in the area to kill themselves. And then the wall in the area collapses as the titans inside start killing themselves.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I think Eren's titan-command power, and the titan's kill-shifters compulsion are different things. So perhaps the former can override the latter, but we've never definitively seen Eren use the command while in titan form.

Let's see, Annie was attacked by feral titans, but there's no evidence that she did more than provoke them. When she ran towards the recon corps, all she did was train a mob of titans towards the recon corps. When she got eaten in the forest, all she did was provoke a mass of titans to attack her.

Now let's see, Ymir. She started attacking those titans, and they all aggroed on her at once. Compare that with those kid titans that were pushing each other over and eating one another's ears, they weren't attacked further.

Now finally, Reiner. Erwin tried to train a mob of titans towards Reiner, and it mostly worked, because they prioritised Reiner. It clearly wasn't good enough, because the outlying stragglers, who couldn't get a good hold of Reiner, ended up going after the humans.

So, the titan priority list basically goes command titan --> kill shifters --> kill humans.

I've read speculation that Eren was using his command powers the first time he transformed, but it really didn't seem to be the case. I think all he did was provoke them into attacking shifters. Plus, Reiner and Bert and Annie would have responded with much less surprise, as they would have felt the psychic command go through their heads, and they would have acted immediately to capture Eren had they known he had command ability.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Is it just me or is this translation worse than normal?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Elotana posted:

Manga is done around chapter 100 or so the mangaka said.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Is it just me or is this translation worse than normal?

It's a Japanese -> Chinese -> English translation because Mangastream hasn't done their translation yet.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Manga is done around chapter 100 or so the mangaka said.

It's good to know it has an end planned out ahead of time, do you happen to have a source on that?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Syrant posted:

It's good to know it has an end planned out ahead of time, do you happen to have a source on that?

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/09/29/video-attack-on-titan-author-mentions-plans-for-mangas-end

quote:

Volume 11 of the manga was released August 9th, 12 will be out December 9th, and according to Isayama, the series should be wrapped up by volume 20.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So if there's a new volume every fourth months, the series wont be finished for about 2 1/2 years.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Jackard posted:

Reiner's flashbacks of Ymir show a younger version of both him and Berthold.

Yeah, looking back at this it appears you're right. I hadn't remembered that.

It's still unknown how long ago that happened, though. So they could be aging very slowly, but at least it appears they are aging at some rate.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
Ymir didn't age because she spent decades in titan-form. Pretty sure that's all there is to that.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Reiner's flashback had him looking much younger than he is now. Unlike the fake breach in wall maria, and unlike Bertholdt's account of the titans at his village, I'm pretty sure that the narrator is reliable.

Reiner does look younger than he is now in chapter 15 (the training arc). He was drawn much older looking than Eren in the anime, for some reason. Still, titan shifters do age.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax
Whelp, that was a chapter. Eren got the best possible "power-up" and it's the exact oppsoite that a shonen protagonist usually gets

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
Hannes :(. You had a good run, old man, but we all saw this coming.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Undead Unicorn posted:

Whelp, that was a chapter. Eren got the best possible "power-up" and it's the exact oppsoite that a shonen protagonist usually gets

Luffy from One piece got the ability to command people and beasts because reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Coughing Hobo posted:

Eren didn't touch Reiner when he redirected the titans to attack him.

But he didn't direct the titans to attack Reiner? We've known for a long time that the mindless titans generally prioritize attacking titan-shifters over regular humans.

The only command we can comfortably say Eren has given is the one to attack the titan who ate his mom/Hannes.