Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Hadlock posted:

It wouldn't suprise me if they release touchscreen laptops when Apple ports OSX over to the A7/A8/A9 processor and has one touchscreen OS across all platforms sort of like what Windows is/was trying to do with RT and ARM.

/Total speculation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_system_on_chips#Apple_A7

This strategy has been working really well for MS, so yeah, Apple will definitely copy that strategy, because that's something they do often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The A7 is about as powerful as a Core 2 Duo. A few more generations and Apple could totally go back to non-Intel processors.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think Microsoft is trying to catch up with Apple and their $10 billion-a-year App Store, not the other way around...

Try Hard Pill
Oct 19, 2012
Hey guys, I got myself a new job and I need a laptop I can use a CAD program comfortably on. I suppose I would need a fairly big screen (15" perhaps?) and some good amount of RAM/processing power. I work mostly in 2D, so it doesn't need to have an extremely powerful video card or anything. I'll be using AutoCAD so I guess that leaves Apple out of the question? Not sure. ( those are absurdly expensive here anyway). I don't care for touchscreens. I'd prefer one around $700, would that get me something nice enough?

Try Hard Pill fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 5, 2013

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

T530 with the stock or 1080p screen using the :siren: link in the OP

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

dissss posted:

The difference is the 4500u is a 15 W chip, the 4700hq is 47 W

Yea that's why I pointed it out. But he also asked about build quality and gaming, which is why I replied.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Hadlock posted:

Newegg has the Lenovo Yoga 11s (the one with the x86-64 intel i5, not the RT powered thing) for $599

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834313605

This is really tempting. The only thing that gives me the vaguest of pause is the 4gb ram; should that not be a concern at this price point / in a laptop?

e: Wait, the title says 4gb ram, the product description says 8. The max supported ram says 5. What in the what?

e2: Also advertising a rebate that expired yesterday. :/

Anniversary fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 5, 2013

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

4GB is fine unless you're doing Real Work. Real Work generally involves purchasing a $1200+ piece of software and then using it for 20-60 hours a week.

All consumer Ivy Bridge/Haswell laptops are limited to 32GB (the memory controller is baked in to the CPU :science:) however the largest SO-DIMMs (laptop ram form factor) are 8GB so in reality you're limited to 16GB.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Hadlock posted:

4GB is fine unless you're doing Real Work. Real Work generally involves purchasing a $1200+ piece of software and then using it for 20-60 hours a week.

All consumer Ivy Bridge/Haswell laptops are limited to 32GB (the memory controller is baked in to the CPU :science:) however the largest SO-DIMMs (laptop ram form factor) are 8GB so in reality you're limited to 16GB.

That makes sense.

Right now I'm more confused by the item description than anything else. I thought Newegg was generally really good with their product descriptions but this one is confusing me for no good reason.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Hadlock posted:

It wouldn't suprise me if they release touchscreen laptops when Apple ports OSX over to the A7/A8/A9 processor and has one touchscreen OS across all platforms sort of like what Windows is/was trying to do with RT and ARM.
They already ported OSX. That's what iOS is.

With the addition of Launchpad and other iOS-y bullshit to OSX, they're slowly reaching a convergence point, but I don't think they're there yet.

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010
Looking back the last couple of pages and reading the OP I've not seen much with regards to full "gaming" laptops; so I ask for your aid.

I work a job which has me travelling interstate (in Australia). The laptop is going to be used to keep me amused at night; mainly playing World of Warcraft and Football Manager (which I believe are heavy on the processor). Portability isn't a major problem; just performance and durability. I've got in the region of $3500 to spend with all spare proceeds going to upgrades on my home gaming "rig" which I use perhaps 25% of the time. Are the 3000 series chips that far behind the Haswell's?

I've been looking at the MSI GT60 but having never owned a MSI I'm unsure of the build quality and reliability. My current Asus G53 is amazing but dated and in need of replacement; I do however love it to pieces and would be willing to have another newer model. What would you guys recommend in this higher end bracket?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

CrazyScot posted:

Looking back the last couple of pages and reading the OP I've not seen much with regards to full "gaming" laptops; so I ask for your aid.
You've got a few options depending on where you want to end up on the performance:weight:price matrix. Also consider that neither WoW nor Football Manager are in any way "stressful" games for even moderately powerful laptops these days. Yes, they're more CPU than GPU at times, but it's not like you're talking about running Crysis 3 while doing a HD video encode or something. Anyhow.

One of the most popular options right now is the y410p/y510p, which are pretty solid laptops with decent CPU and GPU options, including a SLI 750M if you really want to go overboard. It's 6.4lbs to start with, so not exactly light, but not as bad as some other gaming laptops, either.

One of the more interesting options (at least to me) is the just-released Gigabyte P34G and P34K, which are pretty much featherweight (3.6lbs for the P34G) laptops that still pack excellent CPUs and 750M/765M GPUs, and the recent Hexus review has it ticking all the right boxes with the exception of battery life. A good bit pricier than the Y-series, though you at least get a 128GB SSD and 1TB HDD standard out of the deal, which makes it about $300 more expensive than a similarly equipped y510p.

There's also the Clevo W230ST which is a 13.3" i7 + 765M powerhouse, and at 4.6lbs isn't too hefty. It's also usually on the cheap side of things, depending on what exact model you get. Downsides are common complaints about the keyboard and build quality.

The MSI GT60 is quite a bit...higher...than the above laptops in pretty much everything: a 780M GPU, 7.6+lbs, 17", and roughly twice the price depending on configuration. It'll also happily cook your fingers. Quite frankly, if you're not looking at trying to run tomorrow's AAA titles at max settings, it's overkill.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

So I ordered the y410p with 1600 res, but Lenovo said 4 week shipping time and I need a new laptop before I go out of town for nearly a month. It was sweeeet specs for the price ($860 after tax), but I decided I couldn't wait that long and picked up this Alienware on Ebay for $620, used but in "perfect" condition with i5 3210m and 650m GPU.

Acceptable substitute given my time constraints, or horrific mistake?

e: I should add I'm not too concerned with playing breaking release games, mainly League of Legends and random Steam poo poo

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 5, 2013

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

Gray Matter posted:

So I ordered the y410p with 1600 res, but Lenovo said 4 week shipping time and I need a new laptop before I go out of town for nearly a month. It was sweeeet specs for the price ($860 after tax), but I decided I couldn't wait that long and picked up this Alienware on Ebay for $620, used but in "perfect" condition with i5 3210m and 650m GPU.

Acceptable substitute given my time constraints, or horrific mistake?

e: I should add I'm not too concerned with playing breaking release games, mainly League of Legends and random Steam poo poo

I think you should have waited.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Gophermaster posted:

I think you should have waited.
Alternate option: I wait for the y410p to ship and re-Ebay the alienware

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
How long will the discount for the Y410p last?
I've never shopped directly with Lenovo before and just started looking for a new laptop. It's an alluring deal, but not sure if I might find something else that appeals to me, so I don't want to regret passing it up if I end up being more interested in the Y410p than anything else.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
New discounts happen just as soon as the old ones expire so it's really not that big of a deal. You might not see exactly the same model/options but with it getting closer to the holiday season I'd be willing to bet there will be some nice discounts available soon.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Nahxela posted:

How long will the discount for the Y410p last?
I've never shopped directly with Lenovo before and just started looking for a new laptop. It's an alluring deal, but not sure if I might find something else that appeals to me, so I don't want to regret passing it up if I end up being more interested in the Y410p than anything else.
Oct 9 I believe the sale ends

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Ok, thanks for the responses. Going to keep poking my head around for a little while, then.

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010

DrDork posted:

Amazing advice

Thank you very much for the help. Time to look at new things.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Gray Matter posted:

Oct 9 I believe the sale ends

Doesn't Lenovo just run another sale on the tail end? I compared the B&N sale to the military discount I got and the difference was $20.

After moving my shipping estimate back every day to the following day Lenovo told me the thing was "Released to manufacturing" and then the day after that it had been shipped from South Carolina. Ooookay.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Do we know when the T440 is supposed to hit?

At this point I think battery life shot up to my primary concern in a Thinkpad and by god I'm gonna haswell that poo poo up. I might just borrow a laptop from someone for work until I can get a T440 :(

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

Martytoof posted:

Do we know when the T440 is supposed to hit?

At this point I think battery life shot up to my primary concern in a Thinkpad and by god I'm gonna haswell that poo poo up. I might just borrow a laptop from someone for work until I can get a T440 :(

T440 + T440s should be out in mid-late october, probably shortly after the Windows 8.1 launch. T440p (which is OF COURSE the one I want) is I think targeted for early-mid november.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Got to play with an Inspiron 7000 15 incher at best buy today. Impressed they got them that quickly but of course it was only the basest model on display. Pretty solid feeling (heavy at over 5.5 lbs), average keyboard.

Nobody should even bother until the 1080p option becomes available though. Also wait for the dGPU and DIY a SSD in there if you don't want to fork over the $$$$$ for that shiny new XPS. It might even end up being decent value.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Thanks for the Yoga 2 pro response, should've googled harder. Lenovo says the laptop will start at 1099 for the lowest spec, are we expecting that with the B&N link it will be 10-15% less?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Russian Bear posted:

Thanks for the Yoga 2 pro response, should've googled harder. Lenovo says the laptop will start at 1099 for the lowest spec, are we expecting that with the B&N link it will be 10-15% less?
That's a pretty typical discount, yeah.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

I am struggling to find a laptop that is not overkill but is also going to make me not want to kill it. I need something sooner rather than later as I am getting a lot of business/doing presentations on the road. For heavy duty stuff I have a workstation.

My priorities are: portability (13.3" or smaller, not so heavy, no internal optical drive) and battery life (5+ hours). I don't care about touch screens, games, cameras, etc. I am tied to insanely expensive Windows/Linux numerical analysis software, so unfortunately Macs are a no. As for a CPU, I don't need much, however AES-NI for full disk encryption would be awfully nice. Being able to add my own SSD would also be great, though I realize that is unrealistic.

I would like to spend as little as possible, but it seems anything below the $600-700 range is usually not just slow (I can live with that) but poo poo. Aside from Lenovo's offerings, does anyone have an opinion on the HP Probook 430 G1? HP is not a byword for quality, but for $650 it has the new i3-4010U, 4 GB of RAM, is only 3.3 lbs. and should have good battery life.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/laptops/product-detail.html?oid=6430266#!tab=specs

I really appreciate advice. The laptop market has become complicated.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yudo posted:

I am struggling to find a laptop that is not overkill but is also going to make me not want to kill it. I need something sooner rather than later as I am getting a lot of business/doing presentations on the road. For heavy duty stuff I have a workstation.

My priorities are: portability (13.3" or smaller, not so heavy, no internal optical drive) and battery life (5+ hours). I don't care about touch screens, games, cameras, etc. I am tied to insanely expensive Windows/Linux numerical analysis software, so unfortunately Macs are a no. As for a CPU, I don't need much, however AES-NI for full disk encryption would be awfully nice. Being able to add my own SSD would also be great, though I realize that is unrealistic.

I would like to spend as little as possible, but it seems anything below the $600-700 range is usually not just slow (I can live with that) but poo poo. Aside from Lenovo's offerings, does anyone have an opinion on the HP Probook 430 G1? HP is not a byword for quality, but for $650 it has the new i3-4010U, 4 GB of RAM, is only 3.3 lbs. and should have good battery life.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/laptops/product-detail.html?oid=6430266#!tab=specs

I really appreciate advice. The laptop market has become complicated.

Have you considered getting a netbook or chromebook, dropping Ubuntu onto it, and running your numerical analysis software remotely (hopefully it does not require a GUI)? Could that be a solution for you? It would be incredibly cheap, portable, and you'd get pretty decent battery life

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 6, 2013

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.
I've been looking at comparisons between the 13" MBA with the i5 vs. the i7, and it seems like the performance difference probably isn't worth the extra $245NZD when I'll be doing general use, word processing and HD video on it. Sound about right?

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

I'm looking for a laptop for my husband and I suspect he really doesn't need anything that special. I don't mean that in a cheap way, we've got a budget up to £500 ($800) if needs be, it's just I'm worried about getting him more than he actually needs. The only game he plays is Football Manager, apart from that he uses his laptop to stream films and TV, update his CV and browse the internet. That's it! He doesn't use any big software packages and doesn't even keep that many photographs on his present one. I asked him what was most important to him and he said "I want to play footy man and not have the battery poo poo out on me. Oh, and an HDMI thingy." so yeah, we really don't need a top of the line laptop but I'm keen not to get him some nasty cheap poo poo either. Any ideas for a modest but not cheapy laptop for a casual dude?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

HDMI, DVI and Mini Display Port are all interchangeable so he's just an adapter away from video output bliss.

Not sure exactly what the requirements are for FBM but it's not much.

Is he going to travel much with it beyond the bedroom and couch? You could probably get away with a cheap i3 Clevo, probably even a refurbished one

Yudo
May 15, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

Have you considered getting a netbook, dropping Ubuntu onto it, and running your numerical analysis software remotely (hopefully it does not require a GUI)? Could that be a solution for you? It would be incredibly cheap, portable, and you'd get pretty decent battery life

I may do what you have suggested. Office Depot has a sale on the TouchSmart 11z (AMD A4 1 GHZ, 4GB of RAM). It's a near netbook form factor with good battery life; the processor is on the slow side, unfortunately. I don't know if it can handle full disk encryption (though AMD saw fit to include the AES logic on their low end CPUS, unlike Intel), but for $320 it may be a worthwhile compromise.

victorisham
Oct 9, 2009

Quelaag, my dear sister... Please do not cry.
I am happy, really. I have you, don't I?
I recently purchased an x230i tablet (the i3 core version in tablet mode, basically) used like new off Ebay. The first thing my dad told me when it arrived was not to use the tablet mode because he's a computer repairman and he said he's repaired tons of the swivel-hinges the T's use.

Is it true that they're not that durable? Would it be best to just keep it in normal laptop angles? The laptop's been really good for my needs so far but I don't want to break it too fast, especially without the Lenovo warranty.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Plenty of people get Thinkpad X-series tablets and use it in tablet mode regularly and don't have problems with their hinge. Why do some people have their hinge fail while others do not?

Also hinges have improved over the years.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

shrughes posted:

Plenty of people get Thinkpad X-series tablets and use it in tablet mode regularly and don't have problems with their hinge. Why do some people have their hinge fail while others do not?
Because some people treat their laptops like expensive pieces of equipment and ensure they use two hands to manipulate it, don't drop it, etc. Others treat them like cheap toys and tote them around half-opened by the corner of the screen and then wonder why their hinges break.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

HDMI, DVI and Mini Display Port are all interchangeable so he's just an adapter away from video output bliss.

Not sure exactly what the requirements are for FBM but it's not much.

Is he going to travel much with it beyond the bedroom and couch? You could probably get away with a cheap i3 Clevo, probably even a refurbished one

That was poor timing on the mod's part for my new title text

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DrDork posted:

Because some people treat their laptops like expensive pieces of equipment and ensure they use two hands to manipulate it, don't drop it, etc. Others treat them like cheap toys and tote them around half-opened by the corner of the screen and then wonder why their hinges break.

To be fair, some laptops will lose their hinges regardless of how well you treat them (Dell Inspirons, for example)

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

To be fair, some laptops will lose their hinges regardless of how well you treat them (Dell Inspirons, for example)
Agreed, there's not much you can do about choosing to buy a laptop with crappy build quality. The ThinkPad/Yogas are not in that category, however, and if you break one, it's probably your fault.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

QuarkJets posted:

Was right about to post this. My old Toshiba had its hinge break after a year of careful use. My 2006 mbp (bought brand new) died this year, and the hardware is still intact (outside of some broken fans that melted the thing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.
Picked up the 13" MBA, loving it. Handles 1080p video in VLC like a dream.