Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Dammit, I think I jinxed myself with this power supply talk...pretty sure mine just failed on me last night. No crazy light shows or anything, I'd been gaming for a couple hours and all of a sudden everything just shut off without warning. I thought my video card went out initially because I got the "no signal" message on the monitor but the whole PC just shut down completely. Surge protector it's plugged into is only a few months old, everything else connected to it is working without a hitch. Surprised too, power supply is a decent Antec TPQ 850 watt, partially modular, had it for a few years with no hiccups whatsoever. I didn't smell anything that indicated anything fizzled out inside the unit, unfortunately I don't have a spare PSU so I gotta get a new one and hope for the best. Pretty sure everything is OK, even after I unplugged it and let it sit overnight, I tried powering on again and the power blips on for a split second then cuts off, the fans spin a little and the motherboard still has the green LED on indicating it's getting juice. Freakin' sucks :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tazzillekki
Nov 11, 2012
Okay now that my 6850 finally kicked the bucket, time to spring for a new GPU. Is this any good for sub $200 for some sweet, sweet 1080p action? Or should I wait a month for the new R9? Is there any idea about the capability of the R9 270 in comparison to the current offering?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Tazzillekki posted:

Okay now that my 6850 finally kicked the bucket, time to spring for a new GPU. Is this any good for sub $200 for some sweet, sweet 1080p action? Or should I wait a month for the new R9? Is there any idea about the capability of the R9 270 in comparison to the current offering?

I don't think we know much at all about the new AMD cards. However, the NDA is lifting on the 15th, so I think waiting 9 more days is probably worth it just to see. Not like 7870s are going anywhere.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Ozz81 posted:

Dammit, I think I jinxed myself with this power supply talk...pretty sure mine just failed on me last night. No crazy light shows or anything, I'd been gaming for a couple hours and all of a sudden everything just shut off without warning. I thought my video card went out initially because I got the "no signal" message on the monitor but the whole PC just shut down completely. Surge protector it's plugged into is only a few months old, everything else connected to it is working without a hitch. Surprised too, power supply is a decent Antec TPQ 850 watt, partially modular, had it for a few years with no hiccups whatsoever. I didn't smell anything that indicated anything fizzled out inside the unit, unfortunately I don't have a spare PSU so I gotta get a new one and hope for the best. Pretty sure everything is OK, even after I unplugged it and let it sit overnight, I tried powering on again and the power blips on for a split second then cuts off, the fans spin a little and the motherboard still has the green LED on indicating it's getting juice. Freakin' sucks :sigh:

If you have an extra cable that connects to the video card from your psu you could try that. I had the exact same thing happen a few days ago with my 3 month old Seasonic x650. I was playing ARMA3 and testing different gfx settings when everything just shut down.

I left the power cable unplugged for around 40 minutes then plugged it back in, and the exact same thing happened as you, it would blip for a moment, then nothing. If I unplugged the pci express cable going to my gtx770, it would boot with an error saying "Plug in your video card stupid!"

So I replaced the cable, and it booted up fine. I'm not sure if the cable has been defective this entire time, and has been what has causing my stability issues or not, but so far so good.

Edit: Writing that down made me realize something. Should I be using 2 cables coming out from the powersupply to the two plugins on my videocard? Right now, and before, I'm using a single cable which has 2 plugs on the videocard end. Would that make any difference or am I over thinking it?

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 6, 2013

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm not sure if this question is better asked here or the BF4 thread, but I'll try here first since it's GPU-specific:

I have a 780ACX and a 570 installed as a dedicated PhysX card. That cuts the PCIex on the main card to 8x. Would I be better off removing the 570 so it can get 16x or does it matter?

I've heard conflicting and questionable reports about BF4 and PhysX, namely that it doesn't use PhysX per se but will use a second GPU for some physics calculations. Is that a thing?

Of course when I get a chance I'll try to compare FPS with and without the 2nd card, but it's non-trivial to get a fair comparison in BF4 beta, so any comments would be appreciated.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
These continuing driver problems with my 560 Ti are really obnoxious, and I'm pretty sure I'll go AMD for my next card because of them.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

randyest posted:

I'm not sure if this question is better asked here or the BF4 thread, but I'll try here first since it's GPU-specific:

I have a 780ACX and a 570 installed as a dedicated PhysX card. That cuts the PCIex on the main card to 8x. Would I be better off removing the 570 so it can get 16x or does it matter?

I've heard conflicting and questionable reports about BF4 and PhysX, namely that it doesn't use PhysX per se but will use a second GPU for some physics calculations. Is that a thing?

Of course when I get a chance I'll try to compare FPS with and without the 2nd card, but it's non-trivial to get a fair comparison in BF4 beta, so any comments would be appreciated.

1) There is definitely no PhysX support, and there is no other physics middleware that will offload to a dedicated card.

2) Assuming you're using a PCIe 3.0 processor/motherboard, x8 lanes vs. x16 lanes makes zero difference, none at all. If you're using PCIe 2.0, it makes an unknown difference between 0% and 5%, if BF4 works like other titles.

The only custom GPU whatnot that BF4 is slated to use is new APIs, specifically DirectX 11.2 (if available) and AMD Mantle (if available). Otherwise, it'll run just fine as a bog-standard DirectX 11 game.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

sether01 posted:

If you have an extra cable that connects to the video card from your psu you could try that. I had the exact same thing happen a few days ago with my 3 month old Seasonic x650. I was playing ARMA3 and testing different gfx settings when everything just shut down.

I left the power cable unplugged for around 40 minutes then plugged it back in, and the exact same thing happened as you, it would blip for a moment, then nothing. If I unplugged the pci express cable going to my gtx770, it would boot with an error saying "Plug in your video card stupid!"

So I replaced the cable, and it booted up fine. I'm not sure if the cable has been defective this entire time, and has been what has causing my stability issues or not, but so far so good.

Edit: Writing that down made me realize something. Should I be using 2 cables coming out from the powersupply to the two plugins on my videocard? Right now, and before, I'm using a single cable which has 2 plugs on the videocard end. Would that make any difference or am I over thinking it?

I ended up borrowing a 750W PSU from a friend who had a spare PC he wasn't using at the moment - turns out the video card was the culprit, not the PSU. I had an old GTX 465 laying around, when I plugged it into the board with the original PSU I thought died (and tested with the 750W), it powered on fine and everything booted like normal. Put the newer card back in, no boot from either power supply, so I think the card is toast. No idea what happened, it's been humming along great for months, never went over 70°C, and just went kaput after playing Bioshock Infinite for about 2 hours. Time to get in touch with Sapphire and hope the RMA process is easy, the card is registered and has a 2 year warranty, wondering if I just got a dud somehow. The main trouble is there's no indication of what went wrong - no damaged parts on the card that I could see, no power cables came unplugged or shorted out, so I'll leave it up to the manufacturer to find out and hopefully send a replacement out quick.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

brainwrinkle posted:

These continuing driver problems with my 560 Ti are really obnoxious, and I'm pretty sure I'll go AMD for my next card because of them.

Until AMD driver issues make your Radeon R9 just as miserable to deal with as your 560 Ti.

Individual drivers are the worst way to gauge GPUs, consider instead driver quality over the entire lifespan of your GPU. For a while, DX9 artefacts and Crossfire frame pacing made my AMD experience horrible. Then they got their act together and addressed those. As a result, my experience with my current 7850x2 setup has been mostly positive, with one or two months of lemons to contend with. I'm sure it'd be exactly the same with an nVidia card.

Remember that before making a kneejerk "gently caress nVidia, I'm leaving for AMD" reaction. Make your choice based on benchmarks, reviews and actual hardware, as objectively as you can, or else you'll just wander back in this thread a few months after your purchase saying:

"These continuing driver problems with my Radeon 280X are really obnoxious, and I'm pretty sure I'll go nVidia for my next card because of them."

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Just got my second 760 installed. Holy carp. ALL THE GRAPHICS.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Anandtech review of the R9-280X is "up", though they're updating it in "real-time" and hence a lot of the figures/graphs are missing. :lolz:

Edit - Actually, whole segments/sections are missing too. It's kinda shoddy to release an unfinished article...

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 8, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Gonkish posted:

Just got my second 760 installed. Holy carp. ALL THE GRAPHICS.

By second, do you mean you've got two running in SLI?

If so, I hope it goes well for you. SLI/Crossfire is generally a recipe for endless issues and headaches.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

SourKraut posted:

Anandtech review of the R9-280X is "up", though they're updating it in "real-time" and hence a lot of the figures/graphs are missing. :lolz:

Edit - Actually, whole segments/sections are missing too. It's kinda shoddy to release an unfinished article...

Overclock3D have theirs up too

Digital Jesus fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 8, 2013

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Yeah, [H] has theirs up also of the ASUS R9-280X DirectCU II TOP. For $299 it looks promising - I especially like that ASUS put a 2-slot cooler on it now vs. their former 3-slot coolers while still getting a performance boost over the stock R9-280X.

Now to decide whether it's worth waiting for the R9-290 (non-X) or not...

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Looks good but I guess I was hoping for something more than a glorified 7970. Still good for the price though. I'm very interested to see how the Aussie prices turn out. I have a GTX 770 right now but I was kinda hoping to have a reason to swing back to AMD and sell this thing.

I don't even know why.

I have a problem :geno:

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Digital Jesus posted:

Looks good but I guess I was hoping for something more than a glorified 7970. Still good for the price though. I'm very interested to see how the Aussie prices turn out. I have a GTX 770 right now but I was kinda hoping to have a reason to swing back to AMD and sell this thing.

I don't even know why.

I have a problem :geno:

Huh, it seems that the R9 280 Crossfires with the 7970 GE with no issues.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I'm not surprised. It appears to be literally the same card... To the point that the R9-280X that Powercolor was showing off at a recent show had a 7970 badge on the cooler.

vvv To be fair, their main drawcard is the R9-290X and we don't know a hell of a lot about it yet. That comes next week (although apparently it'll be ~Titan power and not a lot cheaper...)

Digital Jesus fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 8, 2013

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
So, nearly 2 years go by, and more or less all AMD has managed to do is rebadge a 7970?:downsbravo:

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

The Lord Bude posted:

So, nearly 2 years go by, and more or less all AMD has managed to do is rebadge a 7970?:downsbravo:

Also the R7 260X is just a rebranded 7790 for :10bux: cheaper according to Techreport. The conclusion on the Anandtech article makes the R% brand seem like a consolidation and re-alignment of inventory and branding. AMD is trying to liquidate the 7--- brand stuff they have and move forward with Mantle as quickly as possible. I guess this means releasing their new GPUs before they've actually developed them.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Is there any reason to believe Nvidia's Maxwell series will offer much that's new and exciting? That R9-280X looks pretty tempting but I could probably wait a bit longer to upgrade. I don't need 60fps on max settings. YES I DO

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Well, at least the price cut on the "new" R9-280X makes it a pretty attractive option, especially if mantle actually does anything. At the very least it looks like the GTX 770 needs a price cut to be competitive.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Performance hasn't gone very far, but bang for the buck for the general market sure has.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
All this feels a lot like the CPU market, as Intel has decided to re-focus efforts on power consumption, overclockability has gone no-where since Sandy Bridge, and performance per clock and top end performance hasn't gone much further either.

Although, it does make me feel pretty good about suggesting a 7970 to a guy when it launched, since although he may not realise it, he had the best card available at that moment, and two years later.. he still has the best card AMD offers even in their new lineup, since 290 hasn't been announced yet.

That's a pretty good run for a card, at least. But sad that it should still be considered top end.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
I really want to know if its worth getting a GTX 7xx card or better to wait for Maxwell. AMD's new cards are just rebrandings so now I'm wondering if Maxwell will be too.

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai

Geek U.S.A. posted:

I really want to know if its worth getting a GTX 7xx card or better to wait for Maxwell. AMD's new cards are just rebrandings so now I'm wondering if Maxwell will be too.

I would expect some Maxwell cards to be rebrands, seeing as cards like the GTX 770 and 750ti were pretty much just a rebranded 680 and 670 respectively.

Rebranding is a common process when it comes to GPUs.

If you have to get a new card ASAP, I'd recommend waiting until November for the rumored NVIDIA price drops and maybe get a GTX 780 if it's within your budget. Otherwise, just wait for Maxwell.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Geek U.S.A. posted:

The 290 and 290x are brand new, they just haven't announced enough about them. If you think only AMD does re-branding take a look at the 770, it's just a gussied up 680. Not to mention every mobile release ever.

Waiting or buying now depends on your needs. What resolution are you running? Any 3D or 120hz stuff?

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
I am going to build a new PC from scratch and I don't mind waiting 6-12 months. I want something that can run upcoming next gen games maxed at 1080p60fps. I know future-proofing is dumb but I'd like to build something that lasts.

The Ol Spicy Keychain fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 8, 2013

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

By second, do you mean you've got two running in SLI?

If so, I hope it goes well for you. SLI/Crossfire is generally a recipe for endless issues and headaches.

Yeah, second for SLI. So far, it's good. I haven't really run into an issue that I couldn't resolve by simply disabling SLI (although that sort of defeats the purpose...).

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
AMD actually released the full specs on the 290x as of today. If the specs live up to their expectations the new card is gonna be a monster, but there are still some driver issues with running crossfire and eyefinity.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The rest of the R9s look like they're rebranded 7xxx series, which I guess is to be expected. It's basically what Nvidia did with the 700 series (excepting the 780 and Titan).

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
I hope the R9 290x is competitive enough to make nVidia drop the prices on the GTX780. I'm sitting on a 6970 right now and it's not cutting it for 1440p anymore (at least with the settings I'd like).

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Gonkish posted:

The rest of the R9s look like they're rebranded 7xxx series, which I guess is to be expected. It's basically what Nvidia did with the 700 series (excepting the 780 and Titan).

R9 290 is new as well. My hope is that the 290 competes with the 780 (for a much lower price) and the 290x competes with Titan (for a MUCH lower price).

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai

Magic Underwear posted:

R9 290 is new as well. My hope is that the 290 competes with the 780 (for a much lower price) and the 290x competes with Titan (for a MUCH lower price).

According to this, that's what it's shaping up to be.

The R9 290 will probably be going for $499 and will be on par with a GTX 780, and the R9 290X may go for $649 and is a supposed "Titan killer" as we all have heard.

Of course, NVIDIA will probably be cutting prices come November, so expect some good competition. I would expect the GTX 780 to probably go for around $549 at the least, and the Titan for MAYBE $699.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

veedubfreak posted:

AMD actually released the full specs on the 290x as of today. If the specs live up to their expectations the new card is gonna be a monster, but there are still some driver issues with running crossfire and eyefinity.
Do you have a link to this? As far as I can tell nothing above R9 280X has been officially announced.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Rahu X posted:

According to this, that's what it's shaping up to be.

The R9 290 will probably be going for $499 and will be on par with a GTX 780, and the R9 290X may go for $649 and is a supposed "Titan killer" as we all have heard.

Of course, NVIDIA will probably be cutting prices come November, so expect some good competition. I would expect the GTX 780 to probably go for around $549 at the least, and the Titan for MAYBE $699.

770 and 780 adjustments are certainly on the horizon. Not sure about Titan or by how much. It's a singular anomaly in the current market and they may not touch it at all, considering that for the general user base an nicely clocked 780 gives equal gaming performance, outside of a few very demanding titles and resolutions.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

El Scotch posted:

770 and 780 adjustments are certainly on the horizon. Not sure about Titan or by how much. It's a singular anomaly in the current market and they may not touch it at all, considering that for the general user base an nicely clocked 780 gives equal gaming performance, outside of a few very demanding titles and resolutions.
nVidia specifically announced that they will not be cutting prices on high-end cards, only on the GTX 660 and GTX 650 Ti Boost. This is definitely not what I expected, so we'll see if nVidia stands firm. nVidia will point to their game bundle (AMD has no bundle until January), and AMD's still-broken frame-pacing in D3D9 and OpenGL, but 33%/$100 is a hefty premium for the GTX 770 over the R9 280X.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Alereon posted:

nVidia specifically announced that they will not be cutting prices on high-end cards, only on the GTX 660 and GTX 650 Ti Boost. This is definitely not what I expected, so we'll see if nVidia stands firm. nVidia will point to their game bundle (AMD has no bundle until January), and AMD's still-broken frame-pacing in D3D9 and OpenGL, but 33%/$100 is a hefty premium for the GTX 770 over the R9 280X.

Interesting. I wonder how long they'll stick to that. For single-card systems I don't see much point in buying a 770 anymore unless you really want 4gb of memory or you have a pathological hatred of AMD. The price/performance of the 280x is simply too good now.

(Or Maybe Nvidia has some hidden ace up their sleeve. :iiam:)

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I thought the 280X didn't get mantle as it's just rebage?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-760ti-oem

Well a 760 Ti just showed up on their website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Tab8715 posted:

I thought the 280X didn't get mantle as it's just rebage?
Mantle is for all GCN-based products. That's been there for a couple months I think, it's an OEM rebrand of the GTX 670. Releasing that could be an interesting choice, especially if they give it 4GB of RAM. At $299 that would be a killer card.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 9, 2013