Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

11BulletCatcher posted:

They are. And they don't work either. Wiring is 50 years old after all.

I also want to say, must be nice to have hazard lights. Definitely coud have used some several times with my car lol.

The only thing that didn't work on my 54 year old German microcar is the flasher relay.

edit: Well the brakes don't count, those definitely don't work.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

11BulletCatcher posted:

They are. And they don't work either. Wiring is 50 years old after all.

I also want to say, must be nice to have hazard lights. Definitely coud have used some several times with my car lol.

My reverse lights work, but not usually when it's actually in reverse. It had a powerglide originally, but the PO put in a TH350. The detents are on the transmission end, but the reverse switch is on the car end of the linkage, so when the car is actually in reverse and when the pointer thinks it's in reverse are different.

Other than that, all the wiring works except the "BRAKE" indicator in the dash (for the parking brake) is intermittent, and the resistor pack is burned out for the blower motor. Mine's only 2 years newer than yours, too, and my truck is older and doesn't have any wiring problems except for where the PO brutalized it for the trailer plug. So don't blame the age!

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
My car has "brake force" lights that illuminate the LEDs full power (which are incredibly bright) and I'm guessing it's designed to shock people awake. It's possible to have them on all the time but I don't see a reason to blind people, and I think the transition is one of the things that helps grab attention.

I'm noticing people using their phones more and more these days, eyes down while driving rather than just talking. It's getting unnerving.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Das Volk posted:

My car has "brake force" lights that illuminate the LEDs full power (which are incredibly bright) and I'm guessing it's designed to shock people awake. It's possible to have them on all the time but I don't see a reason to blind people, and I think the transition is one of the things that helps grab attention.

I didn't know BMW had actually put that on production cars already, neat :)

It's probably the most elegant solution, no weird flashing or anything, just brake lights that are suddenly gently caress-off bright. Apart from possibly being a bit too bright according to legislation, they also stay within the "brake lights must have constant illumination while braking" rule.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
On the 2006 U.S. E90 I've seen the extra brake lights are actually the rear fog lights, which aren't otherwise enabled (the switch is removed for them, but you can put it in).

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Maybe a stupid question, but I've noticed that the LED floods in my basement have a sight delay to turn on compared to the incandescents. Is there any delay issue with brake light LEDs?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Maybe a stupid question, but I've noticed that the LED floods in my basement have a sight delay to turn on compared to the incandescents. Is there any delay issue with brake light LEDs?

None that I've ever seen, from looking at cars with normal brake lights and LED CHMSLs, the LEDs light up instantly while the normal brake lights take a fraction of a second to warm up. Also on cars with normal indicators and LED repeaters in the wing mirrors, the difference is obvious.

Your LED floods are probably just made to be cheap, perhaps there's a power supply that needs to start up or something, they're not made for instant response.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

CharlesM posted:

On the 2006 U.S. E90 I've seen the extra brake lights are actually the rear fog lights, which aren't otherwise enabled (the switch is removed for them, but you can put it in).

Yeah, these are also the lights that come on with adaptive braking when you slam on the brakes. You can actually modify a stock switch to complete the circuit and not have to buy the $120 Euro switch.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That's actually a good use of the rear fog lights, especially if they're symmetrical. It's not like anyone understands how to use them in fog, anyway.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

KozmoNaut posted:

None that I've ever seen, from looking at cars with normal brake lights and LED CHMSLs, the LEDs light up instantly while the normal brake lights take a fraction of a second to warm up. Also on cars with normal indicators and LED repeaters in the wing mirrors, the difference is obvious.

Your LED floods are probably just made to be cheap, perhaps there's a power supply that needs to start up or something, they're not made for instant response.

Agreed. I'd bet that the power converter (probably 120V to 400V DC rectify-double/APFC converter, then 400V to whatever LED voltage buck/boost and PWM driver) just takes a few fractions of a second to start up. On a car, it's going direct from 12V to LED driver/PWM system, so it takes a lot less time even without careful design of the driver circuit.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
They're different units on the post-facelift cars when they switched to the LED clusters. I've been caught in super heavy fog enough that I'm considering seeing if the European switch mod works on the later cars as well.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
When did it ever become acceptable for people to use the center turn lane as a merge lane? Just because you might have to wait a few seconds more to safely turn left from a side street doesn't mean "Hey, I'll just use the center turn lane as my own personal acceleration lane. Somebody will let me in eventually!" No. In fact, if I see someone doing that I'll make it my own personal mission to make sure they know the fact that the center turn lane is for traffic that is already on the street trying to decelerate and turn left. I swear to god oncoming SUV, I'll play loving chicken in my shitbox 1992 Accord. And guess what motherfucker? I ain't gonna be the one that blinks. Oh I'm sorry did I inconvenience you and your mewling crotch spawn because you had to slow down for someone using the center turn lane for it's loving god given intended purpose? Good, I hope you roll that loving monstrosity and it kills your entire brood. God knows the gene pool needs a little bleach in it around here.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Huge_Midget posted:

When did it ever become acceptable for people to use the center turn lane as a merge lane?

Since the day they were created, depending on what state you are in. Many states vehicle codes see them as "auxiliary lanes" to be used for any purpose of "reasonable distance" but not as a through lane.

They are a terrible idea that appear to be put in practice because it's the cheap way out of otherwise expensive traffic issues.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Huge_Midget posted:

When did it ever become acceptable for people to use the center turn lane as a merge lane? Just because you might have to wait a few seconds more to safely turn left from a side street doesn't mean "Hey, I'll just use the center turn lane as my own personal acceleration lane.

Decades and decades ago? The center lane in many states is for both turning left from the street and turning left onto the street. It is still not a "plow your way into traffic" lane.

If you're not out in bumfuck nowhere, turning left without stopping in the center lane may in fact be impossible.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Huge_Midget posted:

When did it ever become acceptable for people to use the center turn lane as a merge lane?

That's what I was taught to do in driver's ed. If you're in heavy traffic, you can make sure that the closest lanes are empty, the turn lane is empty, then pull into the turning lane, then merge into traffic from there.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Huge_Midget posted:

When did it ever become acceptable for people to use the center turn lane as a merge lane? Just because you might have to wait a few seconds more to safely turn left from a side street doesn't mean "Hey, I'll just use the center turn lane as my own personal acceleration lane. Somebody will let me in eventually!" No. In fact, if I see someone doing that I'll make it my own personal mission to make sure they know the fact that the center turn lane is for traffic that is already on the street trying to decelerate and turn left. I swear to god oncoming SUV, I'll play loving chicken in my shitbox 1992 Accord. And guess what motherfucker? I ain't gonna be the one that blinks. Oh I'm sorry did I inconvenience you and your mewling crotch spawn because you had to slow down for someone using the center turn lane for it's loving god given intended purpose? Good, I hope you roll that loving monstrosity and it kills your entire brood. God knows the gene pool needs a little bleach in it around here.

When did it become acceptable for you to somehow become the one true anointed traffic arbiter and make an act you consider unsafe ten times worse? I hope one of the SUV's plays with you and crushes your self-righteous rear end so we get better posts in the forum.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Huge_Midget posted:

That's what it is for, fuckwad.

QuarkMartial posted:

That's what I was taught to do in driver's ed. If you're in heavy traffic, you can make sure that the closest lanes are empty, the turn lane is empty, then pull into the turning lane, then merge into traffic from there.
Exactly. By law...everywhere this is the description of a turn lane.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Huge_Midget posted:

Rage much? Like it's been said, plenty of places allow it and some places encourage it. I don't agree with making the left turn and just sitting there waiting for a break, or taking a mile to merge. But if you see a gap coming, I'm totally cool with jumping into the suicide lane and using it briefly to get yourself up to speed to meet the gap.

There are one or two intersections here locally where that is the only way to make a left hand turn (they suck because it's a semi-blind intersection, but to be fair, there is no legitimate legal left hand turn for opposing traffic to make at those spots).

What is unacceptable to do with a suicide lane is (and I've seen all of these):
1) Passing
2) Getting into it to make a turn that's still 1 mile down the road (usually used by someone who is too impatient with current traffic flow)
3) Riding it to get into a left turn lane (and conversely, honking/raging at someone who is keeping you from doing so because their left turn happens before the intersection)
4) Merging against traffic turning left
5) Blocking someone from making their turn
6) Using it as a break-down lane and/or standing to read your google map directions
7) Cut off someone's turn
8) Making a right turn into a suicide lane, then attempting to merge

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

It's one thing to turn into the center lane, stop, and wait for traffic in the lane you are wishing to merge in to reach a point in which you can safely merge.

It's another loving thing entirely to turn into the center lane, reach the speed limit of that street, and then stay in that lane for 4 or 5 blocks trying to force your way in front of someone because you're in a goddamn hurry.

Jesus you assholes can't detect hyperbole.

YF19pilot posted:

What is unacceptable to do with a suicide lane is (and I've seen all of these):
1) Passing
2) Getting into it to make a turn that's still 1 mile down the road (usually used by someone who is too impatient with current traffic flow)
3) Riding it to get into a left turn lane (and conversely, honking/raging at someone who is keeping you from doing so because their left turn happens before the intersection)
4) Merging against traffic turning left
5) Blocking someone from making their turn
6) Using it as a break-down lane and/or standing to read your google map directions
7) Cut off someone's turn
8) Making a right turn into a suicide lane, then attempting to merge

This is the kind of poo poo I'm talking about.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

YF19pilot posted:

I'd rather see a broken-down car in a center turning lane than a normal traffic lane (gently caress the google maps person though.)

e:

I don't think I've ever experienced someone using the shoulder to merge, every time I see something like that happening its "I'm using the shoulder as my own personal shortcut past all of this stopped/slow traffic to the next exit, three miles ahead."

VV

Geoj fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 7, 2013

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Are people who use the shoulder as a merge lane still douches?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Huge_Midget posted:

I missed a light the other day because someone in the oncoming lane decided that my left turn lane was a perfect lane to turn into the parking lot to my right. Just sat there with their blinker on, facing the wrong way over the double yellow line, waiting for a gap.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

KozmoNaut posted:

I didn't know BMW had actually put that on production cars already, neat :)

It's probably the most elegant solution, no weird flashing or anything, just brake lights that are suddenly gently caress-off bright. Apart from possibly being a bit too bright according to legislation, they also stay within the "brake lights must have constant illumination while braking" rule.

As long as they somehow fade after a few seconds because nothing sucks more than being stuck in a queue (when it's dark and rainy) behind someone that has gently caress-off bright light and insists on having their foot on the brake at all times. Pretty much blinds the hell out of you.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Geoj posted:

I'd rather see a broken-down car in a center turning lane than a normal traffic lane (gently caress the google maps person though.)

Yeah, I meant more the "instead of pulling off the road/into a parking lot I'll just sit here and fumble with whatever bullshit I need to do," rather than an actual broken down car. I don't think I've actually seen a broken down car in the suicide lane, unless you count accidents.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Das Volk posted:

They're different units on the post-facelift cars when they switched to the LED clusters. I've been caught in super heavy fog enough that I'm considering seeing if the European switch mod works on the later cars as well.

I found it weird that some of the last E46s went to LED tail lights but then the E90s went back to regular for a while.

9axle
Sep 6, 2009

Huge_Midget posted:

When I drove a car hauler, I used to just stop and unload in those all the time.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Huge_Midget posted:

Depending on the state, it IS a merge lane.

Yeah, I had no idea you could use it as such for awhile.

http://www.dmvnv.com/pdfforms/qtlaws05.pdf

InterceptorV8 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 8, 2013

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

9axle posted:

When I drove a car hauler, I used to just stop and unload in those all the time.
I've seen a lot of that in tighter areas, and really, I can't imagine where else you'd realistically be able to unload.

In South Philly, there's places (such as South Broad) where people literally park in these, and the PPA seems to leave them alone.
http://goo.gl/8YOd7f

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Jared592 posted:

I've seen a lot of that in tighter areas, and really, I can't imagine where else you'd realistically be able to unload.

In South Philly, there's places (such as South Broad) where people literally park in these, and the PPA seems to leave them alone.

It took me less then 15 seconds to find a shirtless guy.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Jared592 posted:

I spent a week in Philly a few years ago for work and that was so common I figured that's what the center lanes were for.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

InterceptorV8 posted:

Depending on the state, it IS a merge lane.

Yeah, I had no idea you could use it as such for awhile.

http://www.dmvnv.com/pdfforms/qtlaws05.pdf

Yeah, it says merging vehicles can use them to merge for 50 feet. Being generous and doubling that to 100 feet is still well within the realm of acceptable to me. It's the loving soccer moms in their SUVs that will literally go a block and a half trying to merge that make me want to murder them.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Huge_Midget posted:

Yeah, it says merging vehicles can use them to merge for 50 feet. Being generous and doubling that to 100 feet is still well within the realm of acceptable to me. It's the loving soccer moms in their SUVs that will literally go a block and a half trying to merge that make me want to murder them.

I think we need to look at this problem.

Ban Soccer.

If there isn't any Soccer, there won't be any Soccer Moms and this problem will fix itself.

:q:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Huge_Midget posted:

That poo poo is why I hate driving the Fairlane. Not only is it long and low, it doesn't have the greatest visibility off to the sides and it's one of those cars that seems to provoke people to block me merging. People also seem to sit hard up its rear end no matter what speed I'm driving too. No problems with either at all with the Niva. Checked both speedometers with GPS too. Some cars just seem to bring out the inner rear end in a top hat in people. Like big black SUVs with stick families on the rear window.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Jared592 posted:

That lane is double-yellow on both sides. Are you sure that's a turning lane?

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
In Philadelphia, "turning lane" is pretty liberally interpreted. That'd typically be a turning lane before it'd be a parking lane.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Those are legitimate parking spots in Philadelphia. They're occupied pretty much 24 hours a day. It's been that way since cars were invented.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8WW2_6pYIM

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 9, 2013

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
Well, not exactly "legitimate", but the PPA leaves you alone there. It's been that way forever, and it's sort of just a quirk of South Philly. There's a bunch of different theories as to what precipitated the beginning of the practice and when it started.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
So I just moved to Novato in the Bay Area and commute down the 101 to SF... I noticed a lot of police activity on the marinwood exit for some reason and I saw this report the other night.

http://news.kron4.com/features/marinwood-drivers-behave-badly/

Traffic gets congested between Novoto and San Rafael since there's a bottleneck with no real side street way to get through the area, you have to take the 101. Some drivers figured out that they could hop in an exit/mege lane that's a few miles long to skip traffic, get to the marinwood exit then head right through back onto the highway again.

Said exit ends in a left turn only lane but drivers have been ignoring that so, now angry residents and the police are staking out that ramp all morning this week. And people still blow through a left turn only lane even with 5 cop cars parked on the bridge....

I'm amused. Try could fix it with a concrete island or by forcing all traffic to merge into the main highway. Them again people. May ride the shoulders. :p

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 9, 2013

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Were you in SoCal before? Do people not do that there?
It's kinda common depending on the layout, unfortunately. People do it on the 24 West before Caldecott tunnel, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Geared Hub posted:

So I just moved to Novato in the Bay Area and commute down the 101 to SF... I noticed a lot of police activity on the marinwood exit for some reason and I saw this report the other night.

http://news.kron4.com/features/marinwood-drivers-behave-badly/

Traffic gets congested between Novoto and San Rafael since there's a bottleneck with no real side street way to get through the area, you have to take the 101. Some drivers figured out that they could hop in an exit/mege lane that's a few miles long to skip traffic, get to the marinwood exit then head right through back onto the highway again.

Said exit ends in a left turn only lane but drivers have been ignoring that so, now angry residents and the police are staking out that ramp all morning this week. And people still blow through a left turn only lane even with 5 cop cars parked on the bridge....

I'm amused. Try could fix it with a concrete island or by forcing all traffic to merge into the main highway. Them again people. May ride the shoulders. :p

Or they could just put in a light and regulate the intersection with that in mind. It sounds to me like some people found a handy way to help alleviate some of the congestion and the nimbys are getting up in arms about it.

There's actually a semi-similar situation in my town: people failing to notice a sign change because they're familiar with the area and change is too difficult of a concept to grasp. We have a rail line running through town, and since it's a fairly wealthy area the town jumped at the chance to become a "quiet zone" when that law came into effect. For those who don't know, quiet zones are areas where trains are not allowed to blow their horns at crossings except in emergencies (normally it is required at all crossings, 2 longs, 1 short, 1 long). The law however states that either the gates must block the road completely in both directions, or there must be a median dividing the road at the crossing to prevent people from going around the gates. For some reason the town chose to lengthen the gates at two roads AND turn them into one-way streets. Naturally, two years later people still occasionally treat them as two-way streets. Probably because they're pretty much the only one-way streets in a town with lots of narrow two-way streets.

Frankly I think quiet zone laws are a stupid idea, but then, I like the sound of train horns.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 9, 2013