Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I think if I'd set up a company, it's exactly that point I know I'd have to get the gently caress out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

GargleBlaster posted:

unpredictable backups-to-tape running on an ancient version of Backup Exec on ancient unpredictable hardware. Will it take 4 hours today or 8? Only way to find out is wait for the results!

We're backing up to WD GREENS.

I'm RMA'ing one today and my boss is giving me a hard time about using his credit card. THEY NEED THE BILLING ADDRESS? How the gently caress does that surprise you have you ever bought anything online?

Uses his personal card for ALL IT purchases at the company. It's a Sony card so he's always buying TV's and poo poo with his precious points.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

WD Greens are fine when used for their intended purpose.

It's just the cheap bastards putting them into RAID controllers that give them a bad reputation.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Lum posted:

It's just the cheap bastards putting them into RAID controllers that give them a bad reputation.

We have four of these loving things, each with 5 drives.

The hard disk 2 on SouthBackup had an I/O error, but it is working properly now after several retries. It might have been caused by bad sectors. If this error occurs again, please back up your data and run the S.M.A.R.T. test on your hard drive to examine the hard drive status.

Sincerely,
Synology DiskStation

Followed by this message few days later:

System volume (Swap) on NorthBackup1 has entered degraded mode. (Total number of hard drives: 5; number of active hard drives: 4)

Please reboot the system, and it will repair itself automatically on startup.

Sincerely,
Synology DiskStation

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

GargleBlaster posted:

To add actual IT content, erm..
unpredictable backups-to-tape running on an ancient version of Backup Exec on ancient unpredictable hardware. Will it take 4 hours today or 8? Only way to find out is wait for the results!

Same but running an ancient Microsoft DPM version, will it fit all on one tape or will it decide it needs the last 18mb on another tape before making GBS threads itself?
Also, once you start doing something daily everyone else will just loving ignore it when you're at home.
Thursdays backup stopped at 0700, no-one restarted it. Fridays shat itself, as did saturdays and sundays quit because there was no free tapes.
Fridays manual tape-removal never happened, despite this beeing a daily routine for the last four years.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

Synology DiskStation
It appears you have more than one problem.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Caged posted:

It appears you have more than one problem.

4 problems. You mean this ain't enterprise backup??

Ask me about how we backup workstations and don't force people to SAVE FILES TO THE FILE SERVER.

You think it's tricky getting 20 servers to all back up every night? Try backing up 200 workstations with any kind of reliability.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What do you use? CrashPlan PROe is decent enough, but I'm 99% sure that you don't have any money.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Lum posted:

I bought 6 2tb green drives back around December 2011, and only one of the original 6 is still working. The others all ended up in RMA land. (And no, they weren't in a raid array).

On the plus side, sent me 2.5tb drives for most of the replacements I guess.

Anecdote, etc, etc.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
Here's something that's pissing me off for personal IT purposes.. I recently moved to the country, but a nicer lake community that has enough capital to make it worth a enterprising service provider's time. The issue is I was quoted for a 6 meg line, they came out to install it, and I guess 3 is the best than do. I have a SGS III on Sprint with an unlimited data plan, but lovely 3g coverage, an iPhone on AT&T with decent coverage but a lovely data plan and there are no other service providers within range.

I'm fine not having broadband, netflix and hulu can leave my life without the wife and I freaking out too much. But my job requires some on-call activities and I will have to remote into some PC's from home. I can only hope that our new fangled DSL connection doesn't make me want to shoot someone.

edit: I guess my biggest bitch about this is the fundamental fuckery of our national data infrastructure. Why haven't we solved this yet? Why are dial-up and poverty DSL connections still available?

slightpirate fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 7, 2013

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

3Mbit should be fine for connecting to a VPN. I remote into a workstation and work from there and have done it on my mom's old 3meg line just fine. Might have to tweak some RDP settings.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Used to VPN/RDP into my work PC on a 1.5mbit DSL line, its fine. 3 mbit is fine for non-HD streaming too, so you don't have to scuttle the netflix/hulu accounts.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Got my MacBook Pro back from the Apple Store on Friday, for the third time... and it just kernel-panicked again. They said this time it was probably memory + software configurations. Still haven't changed the motherboard. It's using official Apple RAM.

:bang:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

teethgrinder posted:

Got my MacBook Pro back from the Apple Store on Friday, for the third time... and it just kernel-panicked again. They said this time it was probably memory + software configurations. Still haven't changed the motherboard. It's using official Apple RAM.

Right about now is where you try an executive email carpet bomb and see if you can get any satisfaction that way.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

teethgrinder posted:

tcook@apple.com

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Caged posted:

What do you use? CrashPlan PROe is decent enough, but I'm 99% sure that you don't have any money.

Retrospect server. Works as long as you don't want every machine backed up every day and everyone leaves their PC's on and the backup sets don't corrupt

quote:

I bought 6 2tb green drives back around December 2011, and only one of the original 6 is still working. The others all ended up in RMA land. (And no, they weren't in a raid array).

Sounds about right. They sent us bigger drives than we had, but some of our eSATA docks (for offsite backups) don't recognize drives over 2.0TB so they don't do us any good.

I told my boss "So just buy another $35 dock. We're eventually going to need to store more than 1.5TB on each drive anyway..."

WELL WHAT USE WILL OUR LEFTOVER 1.5TB DRIVES BE THEN? WE CANT JUST WASTE THEM

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Seeing the word 'Retrospect' related to backups triggers my PTSD.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

I told my boss "So just buy another $35 dock. We're eventually going to need to store more than 1.5TB on each drive anyway..."

WELL WHAT USE WILL OUR LEFTOVER 1.5TB DRIVES BE THEN? WE CANT JUST WASTE THEM

I really do have to worry about people who block progress being made on a particular issue because it will render an old piece of hardware that costs very little and has already achieved what it was purchased for obsolete. I had to work for someone like that and it was a nightmare.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Gwaihir posted:

Anecdote, etc, etc.

Yeah, other side of the anecdote. Shop I used to work at sold almost exclusively WD. Out of probably 5000+ gren drives, ranging from 500gb to 3tb that we sold while I worked there, I'd peg returns as defective at less than 1%. The WD Blacks were also solid, except the 640gig ones, which were poo poo. Never sold enough of anything else to want to lay claim, but I have 6 green drives between 3 PC's, all are at least 2 years old, and zero problems anywhere.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
gently caress migrating to Exchange 2013, staying up for 24 hours and having phones fly off the hooks in the morning because Outlook wants to be restarted. Oh and the one person who called multiple times because they couldn't figure out how to add a "To" email in the new OWA. :suicide:

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Bob Morales posted:

4 problems. You mean this ain't enterprise backup??

Ask me about how we backup workstations and don't force people to SAVE FILES TO THE FILE SERVER.

You think it's tricky getting 20 servers to all back up every night? Try backing up 200 workstations with any kind of reliability.

oh hai, if I hadn't lost my minion I'd think you're working with me. . .

(seriously moved to another department at the university, every workstationi has some random LaCie drive hung off of it, and even with windows7 somehow has 'synctoy' hacked onto it).

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
Oh, and things pissing me off daily.

Drupal

Drupal, hey, it's enotnert. . . gently caress you in the goat rear end. Why are you generating CSS on the fly everywhere? Why is it the guy who hacked the theme for our Uni from OUCampus decided he wanted to use 15 different layout generating modules?. . .

Why did he not write a simple "this is how you use my theme and what you need to install and why" readme?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

enotnert posted:

Oh, and things pissing me off daily.

Drupal

Drupal, hey, it's enotnert. . . gently caress you in the goat rear end. Why are you generating CSS on the fly everywhere? Why is it the guy who hacked the theme for our Uni from OUCampus decided he wanted to use 15 different layout generating modules?. . .

Why did he not write a simple "this is how you use my theme and what you need to install and why" readme?

That would imply he was paid to do the job, and gave a poo poo. At least one of those things are true.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
poo poo that pisses me off: Belated Paypal notifications.

Paypal posted:

Notification: We are experiencing a system issue which may be affecting PayPal APIs and PayPal Website on the PayPal Live Site. We will send an update with additional details within the next 15-30 minutes.

Gosh it would have been great to hear about this before 2 hours ago, when our internal support came running in with their hair on fire telling us that we were handing users their stored Paypal balances dozens of times over.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I need a gently caress Printers t-shirt or something like that.
We bought a bunch of new Sharp printers, to find out that Sharp on Mac OSX released only the PS drivers. And to enable PS printing, you need to buy a module. What the hell.
And my colleague is looking for crazy workarounds (foomatic, gutenprint) which do not state support on those specific printers.

gently caress printers.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Char posted:

I need a gently caress Printers t-shirt or something like that.
We bought a bunch of new Sharp printers, to find out that Sharp on Mac OSX released only the PS drivers. And to enable PS printing, you need to buy a module. What the hell.
And my colleague is looking for crazy workarounds (foomatic, gutenprint) which do not state support on those specific printers.

gently caress printers.

Does the Sharp support PCL? Might have luck just using the LaserJet4 driver or something.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
We ended up using Gutenprint with a completely obscure Sharp driver.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

poo poo that amuses me, but is probably pissing someone off right now:

Amuses me because of who it happened to, note the URL.

Lum fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Oct 8, 2013

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Lum posted:

Oh dear.

I still use AVG, so I temporarily turned off program and definition updates temporarily when I saw this. Is that too paranoid, do you think?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Lum posted:

By kids who can't even spell check their graffiti :sigh:

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

guppy posted:

Oh dear.

I still use AVG, so I temporarily turned off program and definition updates temporarily when I saw this. Is that too paranoid, do you think?

It was a DNS poisoning attack apparently, so I guess it depends where the updates come from. Chances are they just changed the front page however.

Volmarias posted:

Well to be fair, if they are Palestinian as they claim, then English won't be their first language.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Lum posted:

Well to be fair, if they are Palestinian as they claim, then English won't be their first language.

You'd think that "Palestinian" would be a word that they could spell correctly, though. It seems like it would be awfully high on the list. Or perhaps they are actually "Plaestinian?"

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Volmarias posted:

All you need to know how to spell is "hack.exe -avg.com /upload hackedpage.txt --no-detection" :c00l:

At least that's how I assume it works, based on the movies I've seen.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

QPZIL posted:

All you need to know how to spell is "hack.exe -avg.com /upload hackedpage.txt --no-detection" :c00l:

At least that's how I assume it works, based on the movies I've seen.

Actually this was a DNS poisoning attack I believe,

Obligatory movie hacking related post:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Our print server admin just told me that changing a printer's default paper type can't be configured on the server, so a printer that incorrectly defaults to glossy paper needs to have that setting changed on each workstation. There've been work orders for printers that have had the wrong paper type or tray before, so now I know why it's taken her a week or two to complete those.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

anthonypants posted:

Our print server admin just told me that changing a printer's default paper type can't be configured on the server, so a printer that incorrectly defaults to glossy paper needs to have that setting changed on each workstation. There've been work orders for printers that have had the wrong paper type or tray before, so now I know why it's taken her a week or two to complete those.
It's as though your print server admin has no idea that group policy templates or scripting exist even in the event that these words are truthful and accurate

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Every time the internet cuts out or gets slow, apparently its the servers fault! Its like they don't understand that our LAN and the internet have nothing to do with each other :(

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Stealthgerbil posted:

Every time the internet cuts out or gets slow, apparently its the servers fault! Its like they don't understand that our LAN and the internet have nothing to do with each other :(

Uh they both come out of my workstation so I have no idea what you're talking about stop being so lazy.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Stealthgerbil posted:

Look, just go down the road to the store and buy another quart of internet will you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Stealthgerbil posted:

"I can't get to Facebook or TMZ, is the Exchange server down again???????????"