Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
It's the Internet fridge for the 1910's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Taeke posted:

I find it even more mindblowing that they got to the moon with less computing power than the navigation system in a modern car.

:rolleye: the directions are pretty simple: just go up.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Taeke posted:

I find it even more mindblowing that they got to the moon with less computing power than the navigation system in a modern car.

Actually, isn't this more along the lines of "less computing power than a pocket calculator from the early 90s"?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Taeke posted:

"At, the next apogee, turn right, then, continue straight for, three hundred, and, eighty, four, thousand kilometers."

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Geoj posted:

Actually, isn't this more along the lines of "less computing power than a pocket calculator from the early 90s"?

Wouldn't surprise me in the least. Why don't we have a moonbase by now?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Taeke posted:

There's no money in having one.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Taeke posted:

Because while it doesn't take a whole lot of computing power to go into space or build a moon base it does require a lot of money.

I'm trying to think what computers would do more efficiently than slide rules and the only thing I can think of is design. Without computers there's a lot more trial and error and probably a few more dead astronauts.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Taeke posted:

If we had just elected Newt, what could have been :911:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salad posted:

German prototype 'Schneekrad' from 1936:

That thing is pretty drat SchneekRAD. drat I just like how it looks- like a 30's take on the 80's or something.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Please, it's Schnee:krad:.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Jerry Cotton posted:

:rolleye: the directions are pretty simple: just go up.

Tell that to a real rocket scientist and you'll get a lot of :rolleyes: out of them. You're trying to hit a moving target from a moving target without going so fast you kill all the astronauts on board and also without going so slow you don't get there, or kill all the astronauts on board. You can do the equations with a slide rule (or as some of the Apollo astronauts could do it, in their heads) but a computer tends to be faster.

For a more practical approach to this problem, watch somebody play Kerbal Space Program and laugh or look on in horror or boredom as rockets slam into things as they repeatedly gently caress up having no idea what they're doing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

Tell that to a real rocket scientist and you'll get a lot of :rolleyes: out of them. You're trying to hit a moving target from a moving target without going so fast you kill all the astronauts on board and also without going so slow you don't get there, or kill all the astronauts on board. You can do the equations with a slide rule (or as some of the Apollo astronauts could do it, in their heads) but a computer tends to be faster.

Still easier than getting from point A to point B in Helsinki. (Unless you walk, but you can't walk to the moon so...)

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Taeke posted:

Americans aren't scared of communists Russians anymore. The whole moon thing was a big penis contest. When the USSR fell under, the US didn't feel it had to spend so much money competing technologically with them anymore.
It's kind of a shame really. The resultant technologies benefited everyone.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Kwyndig posted:

For a more practical approach to this problem, watch somebody play Kerbal Space Program and laugh or look on in horror or boredom as rockets slam into things as they repeatedly gently caress up having no idea what they're doing.

Yeah. While the Hohmann transfer is a pretty easy calculation, it's the whole "making the rocket to do it, land, then take off and get back all without killing the guys inside" that's the tricky part. I have the utmost faith that it's an absolute bitch to optimize the whole fuel:weight thing alone, for example.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The whole moon thing was a big penis contest.
It was just the propaganda spending of the ICBM race.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Kwyndig posted:

Tell that to a real rocket scientist and you'll get a lot of :rolleyes: out of them. [...]

Well, here's a video by a real rocket scientist playing KSP showing that it can be as simple as "just go up".:colbert:
He cheats.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I'm installing this specialized car dealership software via a VM, originally written to run on a customized UNIX installation... by Germans. Looks like something from a B-movie:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Pilsner posted:

I'm installing this specialized car dealership software via a VM, originally written to run on a customized UNIX installation... by Germans. Looks like something from a B-movie:

Excellent... I've hacked into the US Government.

MWAHAHAHAHA

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Pilsner posted:

I must have this as the startup screen. On every device.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

pentyne posted:

These no longer exist for some reason. They can be found new/used for upwards of $100

You can buy the wireless version, and there's only 1 brand. Right handed trackballs are an endangered species and no one seems to care.

I know, right? I got one of these a few years back for like 35 bucks. A couple months ago I decided to get another one for work and... what the hell? When did my cheapass trackball become some must-have collector's item?

The wireless version is pretty close, I guess.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
I have a wireless one with a couple of extra buttons. I paid way too much for it but I really like it. Now, if only I could stop dropping it...

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I'm pretty sure only the non-arthritic elderly that got WAY INTO COMPUTERS sometime in the mid 90's still use trackballs.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Guilty as charged. Thumb-driven trackballs are the best.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Guilty as charged. Thumb-driven trackballs are the best.

I am currently in deep regret for letting go of my left handed thumb trackball. Magic Mouse is okay but the left handed thumb ball with three butans was totally awesome.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Hypnolobster posted:

I'm pretty sure only the non-arthritic elderly that got WAY INTO COMPUTERS sometime in the mid 90's still use trackballs.

Meh, those are scrubs. I was using trackballs in the 80's on my PCjr.

Speaking of failed technology:

I've had this thing for 6 or 7 years, it's currently glowing bluely on my desk. I've never found a use for it. I've only seen one in the wild and that's for kids to sign in for appointments at my daughter's orthodontist.

So cool, so pointless. I guess it's not a total failure since you can still buy them, but I have no idea what they're being used for.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

I've had this thing for 6 or 7 years, it's currently glowing bluely on my desk. I've never found a use for it. I've only seen one in the wild and that's for kids to sign in for appointments at my daughter's orthodontist.

So cool, so pointless. I guess it's not a total failure since you can still buy them, but I have no idea what they're being used for.

What... is it?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Care to tell us what the hell that thing is?

e:fb

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Last Chance posted:

What... is it?

http://store.griffintechnology.com/powermate

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I wouldn't say it's a failed technology, it's a big blue knob + button that connects with USB. You just use it for whatever big blue knob + power duties you have for it, it's not like needing to control something via a big blue knob + button is something that just doesn't exist anymore.

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
E: snap crackle beaten yo

Also now I really want one again.. but it'll just hang out with my n52te speed pad (which I bought after buying a keyboard that basically has one attached to the side.. I just realllly wanted a claw looking version when I was younger so I had to try it)

7lip has a new favorite as of 02:52 on Oct 9, 2013

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Sorry, it's essentially a stereo dial for your PC. You can set it up to control your volume or perform app specific commands by a combination or dial turns or pushes.

It sounds great in theory, until you realize you can do almost all of that stuff from your mouse and keyboard without having to reach for a separate input device. It was originally made for Apple computers and as such fits the design over functionality mold perfectly.

EDIT: maybe it's not a failed technology, I just really wanted to contribute with all the cool kids.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

Cool gizmo. So it's like an iPod clickwheel for computers? It looks like it would be a fantastic input for a lot of different applications, and just hard enough to set up/customize that you wouldn't bother.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

Yeeeeep, I've got one of these as well. Tried to pawn it off on my stepfather who wanted an analogue volume knob for his Mac but he couldn't get it to work. I need to get it plugged in. And glowing uselessly once again.

You can actually program them to do all sorts of stuff. Anyone remember the game Airburst?
I used my powermate as the controller.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

They've been selling those things for at least 10 years and I remember being a dumb teenager and wanting one so bad because it looked cool and like it glowed up and you could control the volume with a knob. Now I just have a keyboard that has a button for that and I don't want to spend 50 bucks on a knob so it's quite a bit less desirable, but still big knobs with buttons on them are pretty useful for a bunch of stuff.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I always assumed those were meant to be used as jog/shuttle controllers. I mean, if you're in an industry where it's not insane to buy a separate, colored keyboard for shortcuts, an actual jog/shuttle makes a lot of sense.

People buying them solely for a volume knob also makes a lot of sense, though.

I don't think I'd call it obsolete, though. Unless you'd really like to go through your video using keyboard shortcuts or clicking and dragging. And if it's programmable, I guess you could find other uses for it besides video editing.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
Video editing is pretty much the only thing I can see it being actually useful for and not easily replaced with something that isn't a unitasker.

Can you give it a good turn and it will continue to spin until you stop it or it runs out of momentum minutes later?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Geoj posted:

^
Video editing is pretty much the only thing I can see it being actually useful for and not easily replaced with something that isn't a unitasker.

Can you give it a good turn and it will continue to spin until you stop it or it runs out of momentum minutes later?

It's a straight up Rheostat.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Krispy Kareem posted:

Does that thing work with MAME? When I first saw it, the first thing I thought of was "spinny knob for Tempest".

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Speaking of trackballs, we had this when I was a kid:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempest815
Oct 7, 2006

FALCON PUNCH!!

nocal posted:

Speaking of trackballs, we had this when I was a kid:

I've tried many times just now to come up with the words for that but holy poo poo.

The name makes it. That is 90s as hell, "gently caress NO YOU CAN'T USE MY COMPUTER, ARE YOU EXPERT MOUSE RATED!?".