Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El-Bonko
Oct 9, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

But he didn't direct the titans to attack Reiner? We've known for a long time that the mindless titans generally prioritize attacking titan-shifters over regular humans.

The only command we can comfortably say Eren has given is the one to attack the titan who ate his mom/Hannes.

Yeah, he did. There was the same kind of flash, and they all stopped chewing on chuckles and rushed Reiner on cue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

But he didn't direct the titans to attack Reiner? We've known for a long time that the mindless titans generally prioritize attacking titan-shifters over regular humans.

The only command we can comfortably say Eren has given is the one to attack the titan who ate his mom/Hannes.

Dude, just go and look at the pages again. It's pretty loving obvious Eren directed them to attack Reiner directly.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Doflamingo posted:

Dude, just go and look at the pages again. It's pretty loving obvious Eren directed them to attack Reiner directly.

Ah, I'm sorry! It looks like I did in fact misread that. It seems that Eren did trigger the titans attacking Reiner.

It seems like other instances of this power manifesting should have shown up earlier, given that it just seems to be triggered by Eren having some emotion along the lines of "I'm angry at X!" If anything, it seems that Reiner would have noticed it while carrying Eren on his back; wouldn't Eren being angry at Reiner/wanting him to die while he's in Titan form also cause the "order" to transmit?

Have there really been many situations where Eren has been around multiple titans while not in his own titan form where such a power would have manifested? Shouldn't he have had the same power back when he was initially eaten (since that was after his dad gave him the injection)?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 7, 2013

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
I interpreted Ymir's dialogue to mean that she was killed 60 years ago in a way that turned her into a titan. When she became a titan, she lost all sentience. She regained her humanity and the ability to return to her human form when she ate Bert and Reiner's friend. I don't think she has titan coordinator abilities because she hasn't demonstrated them at all, and Bert and Reiner don't care about her the same way as Eren. I don't think she gained nimbleness powers either, because her titan looks the same in the flashback as it does now. I think she was a 'variant' type.

Which brings me to my inference about all the regular titans. I think they are all people that have lost their humanity. For example, in the next chapter the Asian titan killed Bert, the Asian guy inside the titan would regain his sentience and be able to exit the titan. This seems to be how Bert, Reiner, Annie, and the rest of their village gained their powers, because Bert and Reiner said as much in the tower. I think some people are more strong-willed than others, and display some characteristic of their old self, and those are the 'variants'.

I think that Bert and Reiner having such specialized titan forms is the result of an additional process or training. Since titan forms seem to be based on the pilot's personality, it could imply some kind if mental training or manipulation to exaggerate certain traits.

Eren is unique for both his coordinator ability, and the way he gained his powers. He didn't have to kill or eat anyone to gain his power.

On a side note, I think we can say the setting is Eastern European, since we have mostly german names and fashions, and some Slavic names (Grisha, Sasha). Odd that there are no French or Italian people (it's Levi, not Rivaille; say it out loud, it's "Revi" I find this personally more annoying than eotenas).

El-Bonko
Oct 9, 2012

visceril posted:

(it's Levi, not Rivaille; say it out loud, it's "Revi" I find this personally more annoying than eotenas).

Sure, but it's the English pronunciation, not German or whatever. Not that I expect this means anything, considering the author's knowledge of European languages is such that he translated "Attacking Titans" into "Attack on Titan".

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

El-Bonko posted:

Sure, but it's the English pronunciation, not German or whatever. Not that I expect this means anything, considering the author's knowledge of European languages is such that he translated "Attacking Titans" into "Attack on Titan".

In French--it looks French--you'd pronounce it almost like you'd pronounce Marsailles. Hence, why 'Rivaille' sounds awfully like a Japanese person trying to say "Levi".

I know it's super paranoid and there's like 0.00001% chance of this being the case, but it feels almost anti-Semitic. Really? You can't let the badass have a Jewish name? I could never prove that, though. It's much more likely the translators are dumb, not hateful.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
The "scene" is always annoying but especially so with Titan. Long, spergy justifications for made-up words like Eotenas and Rivaille while ignoring the bigger problem that scanlators and fansubs don't know English grammar for poo poo.

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007

visceril posted:

In French--it looks French--you'd pronounce it almost like you'd pronounce Marsailles. Hence, why 'Rivaille' sounds awfully like a Japanese person trying to say "Levi".

I know it's super paranoid and there's like 0.00001% chance of this being the case, but it feels almost anti-Semitic. Really? You can't let the badass have a Jewish name? I could never prove that, though. It's much more likely the translators are dumb, not hateful.
Time for a long, spergy justification for 'Levi'.

In English, the vowel in words like English dry and eye is a diphthong /aɪ/. A diphthong is a complex vowel that changes its 'quality', or sound. When you say 'eye' you're making an 'ah' sound followed by an 'ee' sound. The sound changes but it still counts as one vowel.

In French, there is actually a difference (contrast) between words like pays /pɛɪ/ (diphthong /ɛɪ/) and paye /pɛj/ (simple vowel /ɛ/ followed by the glide /j/, which is written as the letter 'y' in English words like 'yes'). They may seem identical but their pronunciation is actually slightly different. The first is like the English word 'pay', while the second is like English 'pay' but with a more pronounced 'y' at the end because of the glide /j/.

Japanese surprisingly preserves this contrast: French diphthongs are written as two vowels like アイ 'ai', while words that end in a vowel + /j/ combo are written with a ユ 'yu' at the end to represent the glide. For example, Marseille has a vowel+glide and becomes マルセイ 'maruseiyu', not マルセイ 'marusei'. The same is true for other similarly spelled words like Versailles: ベルサイユ 'berusaiyu', not ベルサイ 'berusai'.

Finally, Levi's name in Japanese is リヴァイ 'rivai', not リヴァイユ 'rivaiyu'. If the 'lle' spelling represents /j/ in French words, then the translation 'Levi' is more appropriate than the faux-French alternative because there is no ユ 'yu' at the end of his name to justify the spelling 'Rivaille'.

Fruitsnacks fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 7, 2013

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

visceril posted:

As usual, the artist himself has come out and clarified these issues before (it's Levi like Levi jeans). The problem is the fanbase loves their fan theories and translations more than they should and don't let the work speak for itself sometimes.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
It's not so much "death of the author" as "murder the author for his insolence."

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

visceril posted:

On a side note, I think we can say the setting is Eastern European, since we have mostly german names and fashions, and some Slavic names (Grisha, Sasha). Odd that there are no French or Italian people (it's Levi, not Rivaille; say it out loud, it's "Revi" I find this personally more annoying than eotenas).

Forgive me for being completely wrong if I am, but Marco seems like he'd be of Italian lineage and Jean Kirchstein sounds like his ancestors are from Alsace-Lorraine.

EDIT: I somehow thought Levi Rivaille was his full name, as in, Levi being the Jewish first name and Rivaille being his French last name. :shepface:

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 7, 2013

Bisensual
May 24, 2013

Do you hate me?

Fruitsnacks posted:

Linguistics 101 with Fruitsnacks :eng101:

Let's all just take a moment and appreciate this.

I appreciate this.

Deltasquid posted:

EDIT: I somehow thought Levi Rivaille was his full name, as in, Levi being the Jewish first name and Rivaille being his French last name. :shepface:

Actually, that seems to be the consensus with a lot of the fanbase. Of course, Levi has no last name.

Or age.

Levi might as well not exist.

Federal Preserves
Jun 30, 2011

Or is it right?
Korea's version of Saturday Night Live is called Gag Concert, and this was in the latest episode:

The titans are breaking too many walls.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Left posted:

Korea's version of Saturday Night Live is called Gag Concert, and this was in the latest episode:

It's only a matter of time before the fourth wall falls to the Titans.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Left posted:

Is that segment King of Ratings? God drat I love that segment.

That wasn't the first time they referenced Attack on Titan, though.

전격의 거인 is Korea's title for SnK, but the 의 is left out. I was honestly surprised, because I didn't think SnK was that big in Korea.

I'm glad that KBS uploads episodes of Gag Concert on YouTube, since it'll be a while before I can go back to Korea. Sucks that they're like two weeks behind, though.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Heh, Korean tv shows have been referencing AoT for a bit now, ever since it became really popular in Korea. You have people using Attack on ____
(Shingeki no __________) everywhere now...

This popped up on my facebook with the caption "Donald of Advance"

And then I saw a link to this wonderful gif series:

Fruitsnacks posted:

Time for a long, spergy justification for 'Levi'.

In English, the vowel in words like English dry and eye is a diphthong /aɪ/. A diphthong is a complex vowel that changes its 'quality', or sound. When you say 'eye' you're making an 'ah' sound followed by an 'ee' sound. The sound changes but it still counts as one vowel.

In French, there is actually a difference (contrast) between words like pays /pɛɪ/ (diphthong /ɛɪ/) and paye /pɛj/ (simple vowel /ɛ/ followed by the glide /j/, which is written as the letter 'y' in English words like 'yes'). They may seem identical but their pronunciation is actually slightly different. The first is like the English word 'pay', while the second is like English 'pay' but with a more pronounced 'y' at the end because of the glide /j/.

Japanese surprisingly preserves this contrast: French diphthongs are written as two vowels like アイ 'ai', while words that end in a vowel + /j/ combo are written with a ユ 'yu' at the end to represent the glide. For example, Marseille has a vowel+glide and becomes マルセイ 'maruseiyu', not マルセイ 'marusei'. The same is true for other similarly spelled words like Versailles: ベルサイユ 'berusaiyu', not ベルサイ 'berusai'.

Finally, Levi's name in Japanese is リヴァイ 'rivai', not リヴァイユ 'rivaiyu'. If the 'lle' spelling represents /j/ in French words, then the translation 'Levi' is more appropriate than the faux-French alternative because there is no ユ 'yu' at the end of his name to justify the spelling 'Rivaille'.

Forgive my ignorance, but does that mean it's more accurate to pronounce Versailles as 'berusaiyu' if one wants to stay closest to the original French pronunciation?

Archer2338 fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Oct 8, 2013

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, pronouncing it in French would sound something like "vair-sigh-yuh" although the yuh is pretty subtle. It's more prominent when the word is modified, i.e. something from Marseilles, Marseillaise, sounds like "mar-say-yez".

French has some really weird pronunciation rules.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 8, 2013

poirot818
Jun 1, 2011

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

Jesus christ, this is so hypnotic.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, pronouncing it in French would sound something like "vair-sigh-yuh" although the yuh is pretty subtle. It's more prominent when the word is modified, i.e. something from Marseilles, Marseillaise, sounds like "mar-say-yez".

French has some really weird pronunciation rules.

At least French has pronounciation rules, something English lacks.

A double l is pronounced like in Spanish really, becoming a soft "yu" sound, if that makes sense (I'm French-speaking, not a linguist, don't rag on me drat it.)

Except of course in words like ville, village, etc where the double l sounds the same like a regular old l. :smithicide:

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Deltasquid posted:

Forgive me for being completely wrong if I am, but Marco seems like he'd be of Italian lineage and Jean Kirchstein sounds like his ancestors are from Alsace-Lorraine.

Oh snap I forgot about Marco and Jean (I forgot :911:) and here I was thinking we figured out the titans originated along the coasts to decimate the Asian and Western European populations first.

To be honest, I was spending a lot of time thinking about where the gently caress "Dot Pixis" is from, where his two brothers Yakko and Wacko are, and then I decided it was a Japanese "Stacker Pentecost" and gave up

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

전격의 거인 is Korea's title for SnK, but the 의 is left out. I was honestly surprised, because I didn't think SnK was that big in Korea.

Its actualy quite popular over there. It is actually on the cover of maxim over there

Edited for the thumbnail

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

Ytlaya posted:

It seems like other instances of this power manifesting should have shown up earlier, given that it just seems to be triggered by Eren having some emotion along the lines of "I'm angry at X!" If anything, it seems that Reiner would have noticed it while carrying Eren on his back; wouldn't Eren being angry at Reiner/wanting him to die while he's in Titan form also cause the "order" to transmit?
Have there really been many situations where Eren has been around multiple titans while not in his own titan form where such a power would have manifested? Shouldn't he have had the same power back when he was initially eaten (since that was after his dad gave him the injection)?

Popehoist fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 8, 2013

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I just realized that the anime had a similar ZAP intercut during that scene to the one felt by shifter crew in the forest. I withdraw my objection, drat.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That would be hilarious.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Deltasquid posted:

At least French has pronounciation rules, something English lacks.

A double l is pronounced like in Spanish really, becoming a soft "yu" sound, if that makes sense (I'm French-speaking, not a linguist, don't rag on me drat it.)

Except of course in words like ville, village, etc where the double l sounds the same like a regular old l. :smithicide:

The irony here is that "Livaille" would probably be the closest approximation of how to proncounce Levi (like the jeans) in French, since that's pretty much the only way of making a long I sound. Although in reality, the name Levi would probably be pronounced phonetically, like levy.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Popehoist posted:

I'm spergin' out over here.

Holey moley. This would be some 9th level poo poo if it turned out accurate.

Edit: I don't think when Eren was on Reiner's back he manifested his anger as orders. It was probably just a general sea of emotions. Like the guilt he had in a thought bubble over people dying to save him. When he punched Chuckles it manifested from him probably thinking "I want him to die" over anything else. It's been pointed out in this thread that he can't activate his titan form unless he's got a clear objective in mind, and it's probably the same way he manifests his command power.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 8, 2013

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Since this manga has usually stayed somewhat grounded in terms of physics and explanations of how poo poo works, I find a tiny little girl who likely had no real muscles to speak of could crush wood with her hands and push down so hard that she breaks the floorboards anything else than signs of mild titanfication.

It's been shown several times you can sort of "enhance" your abilities by tapping into them somewhat (reiner getting out of annie's grip, eren just now in this recent chapter punching a titan)

Also the fact that injuries heal the "pilot" even when not a titan all leads to signs that it is usable while remaining in human form.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
That was way before the injection, so he either had it naturally, or it is wrong.

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Since this manga has usually stayed somewhat grounded in terms of physics and explanations of how poo poo works, I find a tiny little girl who likely had no real muscles to speak of could crush wood with her hands and push down so hard that she breaks the floorboards anything else than signs of mild titanfication.

Or it's an old run-down shack with dry-rot.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

If this turns out to be true I'm gonna loving flip my poo poo.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

If this turns out to be true I'm gonna loving flip my poo poo.

Like another poster mentioned, it's extremely doubtful since this occurred before he received his injection.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Torix posted:

Or it's an old run-down shack with dry-rot.

The image lingers on the broken wood man. Haijme Isayama has shown time and time again that the smallest details are very important. I'm not saying "Oh of course he's giving her a command" but you never know!

Eren could have been born with his command or titan ability. If you think about it even if Eren wasn't born with the powers Grisha is still very likely a titan-shifter from how much he knows is going down, and how he has the titan king serum on hand to inject Eren with.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 8, 2013

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

That we know of. Mikasa was presumably getting injections so theres no reason Eren couldn't have been too.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I've always thought the injection thing was just a red herring, and he's been a titan all along.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
He could have been a titan all along (or everyone can be), the injection just let him consciously activate it. He could possibly have had has command powers the whole time too, and just not known it.

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012
Grisha was a doctor and they lived in close quarters in their little walled city. The injections were just normal vaccines like every kid is supposed to get regularly. Occam's razor!

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Abitha Denton posted:

Grisha was a doctor and they lived in close quarters in their little walled city. The injections were just normal vaccines like every kid is supposed to get regularly. Occam's razor!

Occam's Razor, meet Chekhov's Gun

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ah yes, Eren's Conqueror's Haki is finally manifesting itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

jhorphear posted:

Its actualy quite popular over there. It is actually on the cover of maxim over there

Edited for the thumbnail

God drat that is amazing. Wonder if it'll still be as big a deal by the end of the year, when I get back.

I totally wanna see some weirdass SnK merchandise.