Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Awww. Lookit those happy hens, all digging in actual, real DIRT! So sweet! You are a sweet person too, thatbastardken. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So my hen witht he limp is finally getting better. She isnt 100% but she is walking around much better than she was. The problem is she was the dominant hen. So now that she lost her place the second oldest is running around beating the hell out of the two younger ones when they try to be queen hen of the coop. I hadnt ever seen a chicken grab another one by the back of its head and slam it into the ground, but I saw it on Saturday.

Yep, chickens are an endless source of entertainment. They even give you free WWE shows. I'd hide any small chairs from them, just in case. I had an issue with my two dominant hens a while ago, and that ended with bloody faces and bald spots, but VS was right, they got over it in a few days and now Dust my headhoe is out of broodiness and molting, but remains the top bitch in the yard. I'd say just let them sort it out and just keep an eye for any wounds. If it get too vicious for too long than it might be a good idea to separate the new boss from the others with a mesh wire or something, but I don't think you'll need to do that.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Chickenfolken:

I have a line on a 7 week old Cream Legbar roo. I am going to meet him and his lady tomorrow. Any suggestions on how to introduce him to the Harsh Bitches? The Littlies (the two younger Ameraucanas) are very sweet, but the two sexlinks are serious megabitches.

We have the little old coop which would be fine for him by himself, but we're thinking there's enough room in the big house for all of them, and enough room for him to "escape" if they try to corner him.

What works for you guys?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

The way I introduced Roostroyer to my then young pullets was a mix of VS' advice and my fear of omg mah babies are gonna hurt each other :qq:, then I did something similar with Tabasco, but I wasn't nearly s overprotective. Basically I kept him and the hens separated for a few days. I have my old coop that has 1/2 inch wire mesh around it, and I put the rooster in there. That way the hens and him can look at each other, do their posing and fighting, but not really hurt each other... or at least that was the plan with Tabasco. I had him in a crate while I was cleaning the old coop, but my brother in law decided to just let everybody together, so he let him out the same day we got him. I was curious to see what the chickens would do, so I let the chickens meet.

Poor Tabasco got his rear end kicked because he was in a new place, with new owners, and he was scared. He ran to join the flock for protection and the hens mobbed him. Thankfully the yard and the run are huge, so he could run away and keep his distance, and I manage to put him back in the old coop for his own good. I kept him there for probably 2-3 days days during the day, and I'd put him inside the main coop at night so he could sleep with everybody. I would also get the hens out of the run and let him roam in the run for a few hours, and by day 3 I figured he was familiar with the yard, so I opened the run and let everybody hang out together. He kept his distance at first and the more dominant hens would scare him away from the food, but besides a few fights (they didn't last long, 1 minute tops), they eventually figured out their place in the flock, and now, 6 weeks later, Tabasco is the boss :3:

Here's Tabasco and Megatron interacting for the first time. The fights are more for dominance than actual intent to hurt each other, so they don't last long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkV-rt_oxsw

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
I've pretty much always introduced new roosters by keeping the old flock in one pen, and the new rooster in a holding pen next to it, with just wire dividing the pens, and add a chill hen to his pen every day or two. Once he has four or so with him, and they're all getting along well, everyone gets supervised yard time together. A few days of that and they're usually getting along well enough I can let everyone be one big happy flock.

The useless extra male guinea keet just earned his feed. He started kicking up a fuss and alerted every bird for a half mile that there was a HAWK A HAWK IT'S COMING RIGHT AT US! D: Looks like everyone just barely managed to get into safety. :toot:

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I mostly worry because the little dude is going to be so much younger than the hens - they're all (with the exception of the Littlies, who will likely start this month) laying and there's a dominant hen (Dahlia). I'm hoping she'll be the one to vet him, since the two Harsh Bitches are not the dominant hens.

The nice lady I'm getting the rooster from doesn't need to know how my evil hens dogpiled on him and ate him or something.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Then maybe just keep him separate with the ameraucanas until he's grown bigger. If he's similar in size to them, it shouldn't be too bad.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I got a new chicken earlier this week. I put them on the ground in the garden, he had a brief fight with what I think is the head hen, and they've been fine ever since. :v: He's still the last to come out of the house in the morning, but is sleeping in the right place at night and seems to be getting a fair share of the food, so it's all good.

He was found wandering around in the middle of the road, the local RSPCA has our number and the people who found him phoned us and then brought him round. I think it's a black-rock rooster, but he submits when I put my hand over him and, honestly, I'm not sure. I tried to take a pic but my camera didn't like the batteries I'm using, so I'll take one with my phone tomorrow.

Was supposed to get another rescue yesterday, a "brown hen" somebody had found in their driveway, but it never turned up, I assume they found the owners, but it would have been nice of them to tell us...

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
I just started leaking tears, that is so wonderful that you are able to give those girls a good home! NettleSoup, how many ex-batt gals do you have?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Chido posted:

Here's Tabasco and Megatron interacting for the first time. The fights are more for dominance than actual intent to hurt each other, so they don't last long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkV-rt_oxsw

Love how Megatron clearly telegraphs a threat posture and Tabasco does what all youngsters do...just stands there, like, 'Do do do do do...'. Then when she gets close enough he starts to wave, all 'Oh Hai...' then is shocked when she jumps him. :keke: Classic.

Lynza, when you meet him, evaluate him to see how timid and sweet he is. You know you chickes better than anyone, if you think your girls would seriously hurt him, you may want to coop him seperately for a bit until everyone gets used to each other and he's had a chance to grow a bit.

He's going to have to endure a certain amount of chasing and pecking since he's only 7 weeks old. He's going to act like a scared youngster for a bit. In a few months he should start acting more like part of the flock, and eventually grow into his roohood. :)

When you introduce him, I'd do it like introducing babies to the flock--stay near to defend him (be a momma hen) and gently redirect any bullies. Here's more on how I do it: http://jackshenhouse.com/VSChickIntroducingNewBirdsToFlock.htm

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

When you introduce him, I'd do it like introducing babies to the flock--stay near to defend him (be a momma hen) and gently redirect any bullies. Here's more on how I do it: http://jackshenhouse.com/VSChickIntroducingNewBirdsToFlock.htm

Wow VS! Jack (the Barred Rock) was really a badass! What a magnificent muscle-roo! :)

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!
The BBC had a special about The Private Lives of Chickens.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

The youtube-subs on that are hilarious. For rescues, we have 3 battery hens, a rescued light sussex and Louis here.

This is Louis, found in the middle of the road.

Cock or Hen? Opinions?

This here is my Rodger, in front of one of the battery hens.

Meadow, in front of one of the battery hens.

Bonus Image, of a battery hen.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Battery hens seem not to know any limits besides "gently caress YOU I'M NOT IN A TINY-rear end CAGE gently caress EVERYTHINNNNNNNG".

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Louis looks like a Louise to me. :)

And yeah, Jack was a big fella, and a super sweetie.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
Yeah, Louis looks like a girl.
She look old enough you can just look at the saddle feathers to check. Pointy and long is male, short and round is female.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Louis looks like a Louise to me. :)

Okay... Im trying to wrap my brain around this guy. Those are full sized hens around them? Because my hens are maybe 12-14 inches tall standing normally. That fucker looks like he is 3 feet tall!

How big was he really? Like knee height? Taller?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Okay... Im trying to wrap my brain around this guy. Those are full sized hens around them? Because my hens are maybe 12-14 inches tall standing normally. That fucker looks like he is 3 feet tall!

How big was he really? Like knee height? Taller?
I'd say he was maybe 2 feet tall? I know Roostroyer was about 22-24 inches tall, but he had really long legs and he wasn't as fat as he looked, he was just very fluffy.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Well that's good, we really didn't need another man around.

Chido, that picture is the reason Roo is always referred to in our house as "lawnchair chicken"

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Well I'm now wondering how to get this roo home with me today. :) I remember VS said she used those laundry baskets when she transported her flock cross-country, so I may try that. I'll have to go pick one up at lunch. I completely spaced this morning to bring a cat carrier.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
If you absolutely can't get anything else, a cardboard box with plenty of quarter sized holes punched in it can work for a short trip. I had to do that once when a hen of mine went roaming and ended up three miles away.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Yeah cardboard boxes are fine, they just curl up in the dark and go to sleep, and then you can just throw it out after they've poo poo all over it.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
I've only had them emerge happy when it was a short drive, but I usually have to grab a box for transport in the middle of summer. I guess not much is happy in a cardboard box in triple degree heat, unless it's so ventilated it's more holes than box and the AC is maxed.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Check out this awesome photo of Jack being a sweet roo and letting a young chick sit on his back. Also, Frizzle chickens are just so :3:
There needs to be so more Frizzle chickens because they're just so adorably goofy-looking! :)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Jack was pretty flippin' big, and solid, too.

Sunbathing with some of his girls...

Hangin' with the girls. We have a mixed flock of bantams and standard sized hens.

I did so love to grab and snoodle the big ol' meatball, which always confused him.

The dollar store laundry baskets, lined with a chunk of cheap, tough, short-as-you-can-find cut pile (NOT LOOP--toes get caught) indoor/outdoor carpet for traction and poop absorbtion. Fashion a hardware cloth wire top for it, bending the edges of the wire over the lip of the basket. Ziptie the wire chunk in place (think of the zipties as hinges). Carry another ziptie or two in your pocket. Place chicken in basket along with a few chunks of apple cut into quarters or a chunk of raw corn on the cob (provides entertainment, diversion, nutrition and hydration for the ride home) and ziptie the lid closed. Chicken is secure and confined safely, can see out and gets adequate ventilation. None of my chickens flipped out in the laundry baskets, and they spent 10 hours in them!

Loaded with poultry and ready to roll.

I kept the laundry basket carriers, they can be reused whenever needed to go to the vet or in an emergency if you have to evacuate for whatever reason.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 9, 2013

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Alright, I have a rooster! He is a baby (8 weeks) and SUPER cute and dorky. He is really sweet and mellow, too, which I am thrilled about. The lady I got him from adores him, and made me promise to send her pictures of him as he grows up, and to let me know what we name him.

I have no idea what to name him, though. I'm awful at pet names. This is why my cat's name is Little Man.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Lynza posted:

Alright, I have a rooster! He is a baby (8 weeks) and SUPER cute and dorky. He is really sweet and mellow, too, which I am thrilled about. The lady I got him from adores him, and made me promise to send her pictures of him as he grows up, and to let me know what we name him.

I have no idea what to name him, though. I'm awful at pet names. This is why my cat's name is Little Man.

Post his photo and let people suggest names!

VS: Love the one little head peeking out of the bottom white basket in the photo of the laundry baskets in the car. "WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO US?!?!?!" :D

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
He has this darling little crest, which I have photographed in the worst possible way. I have brought shame to my family's name (my dad was a professional photographer).

Little dude was shivering a bit, it's kinda cold in here. We figure we'll put him out with the ladies tomorrow, if the weather isn't super awful. It's been relatively warm for the last week or so, and I'm hoping we'll get lucky.

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!

After that BBC Special, I say name him Lloyd.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Nettle Soup posted:

One thing I will say, my ex-bats are ninjas at escaping. I've seen them jump 4ft after I've clipped their wings and they're more than smart enough to use the top of a henhouse as a jumping-off-point. Watch them with that little fence...

Haha, thanks for the heads up. I thought a four foot fence would probably hold them, but I'll look at getting some extra wire to run between the star pickets.

chicken edit:

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Oct 9, 2013

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Inveigle posted:

Post his photo and let people suggest names!

VS: Love the one little head peeking out of the bottom white basket in the photo of the laundry baskets in the car. "WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO US?!?!?!" :D

That's Yoya peeking out, she obviously thought it was a grand adventure. The true Death Glare is coming from Stoney, in the upper left basket.

Lynza, he looks like a Spike to me, I dunno why.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Lynza posted:

He has this darling little crest, which I have photographed in the worst possible way. I have brought shame to my family's name (my dad was a professional photographer).

Little dude was shivering a bit, it's kinda cold in here. We figure we'll put him out with the ladies tomorrow, if the weather isn't super awful. It's been relatively warm for the last week or so, and I'm hoping we'll get lucky.

You said he's mellow so my vote goes for Zen.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Have yall forgotten how to name a goon chicken?

Captain Loyd Zenspike Wigglesworth III, Esq.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Well if we're gonna be goony about it, his name should be Drumstick.

E: Tenderloin, Crispy, Mealsworth.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
We've had a suggestion of Pierre as well.

He's doing very well so far! I took him out to meet the ladies. The HBs wanted to eat him, but I swatted them away when they tried. He knows already that I'm the safe spot, so he stayed close to me. Dahlia, the head hen, and Daisy, the omega hen, were not fussed by him at all, and pretty much looked at him and dismissed him as being uninteresting. The Littlies were really interested, but didn't seem aggressive.

He's having an awesome time grubbing down on grass and weeds, though. I am headed to the store today for mealworms for him, too. I'm all about bribes.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Lynza posted:

We've had a suggestion of Pierre as well.

He's doing very well so far! I took him out to meet the ladies. The HBs wanted to eat him, but I swatted them away when they tried. He knows already that I'm the safe spot, so he stayed close to me. Dahlia, the head hen, and Daisy, the omega hen, were not fussed by him at all, and pretty much looked at him and dismissed him as being uninteresting. The Littlies were really interested, but didn't seem aggressive.

He's having an awesome time grubbing down on grass and weeds, though. I am headed to the store today for mealworms for him, too. I'm all about bribes.

Schmooz the lttle sucker with goodies, handle him a lot and make him love ya. I know about Dahlia & Daisy, what are the names of your other chickens? Maybe we can go with a same-theme name here...

With the silly doodad on his head you could go with Dandelion or Thistle... :keke:

In other news, this year's hatch at our house may experience their first snowfall today or tonight...

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Schmooz the lttle sucker with goodies, handle him a lot and make him love ya. I know about Dahlia & Daisy, what are the names of your other chickens? Maybe we can go with a same-theme name here...

With the silly doodad on his head you could go with Dandelion or Thistle... :keke:

In other news, this year's hatch at our house may experience their first snowfall today or tonight...

Dandelion would be adorable because you could call him Dandy :keke:

How do the chickens do (historically) with first snows?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

thatbastardken posted:

Haha, thanks for the heads up. I thought a four foot fence would probably hold them, but I'll look at getting some extra wire to run between the star pickets.

chicken edit:

Aaaaa! What a cute, floppy comb! So adorable! :3:

I like the name Thistle for Lynza's new chicken. The name would go nicely with Dahlia and Daisy. :)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

How do the chickens do (historically) with first snows?

Oldsters: Remain in the coop, deathglare at any humans who appear and be supergrumps.
Young adults: 'Meh, we've seen this already but we MAY deign to play in it.'
Youngsters: 'HOLY poo poo WTF THIS IS SCARY WAIT OMG SO FUN!' for the first time or two, much confusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
I've brought some pictures! I have the next 3 days off of work, so I've been hanging out with him pretty much all day. He loves the Chicken Facility. He hopped up on the low roost and has been hanging out there. I take him out, he eats grass for a couple minutes, then goes right back in. :3: