Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigStu
Apr 16, 2011
Hey guys, I was playing online yesterday and one of my defenders did a weird thing. So my opponent was moving down just outside of the box, I switch to my closest defender, and instead of moving towards the player, he just kinda hopped in place while he was I guess pulling his shorts up. Opponent easily went around him and scored

Now I may have pressed something and made him do that, so if I did and y'all could please tell me so I won't do it again, as it was pretty annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I had something similar happening. One of my defenders just started protesting against the ref, waving his arms and claiming offside. Of course this happened while my opponent was speeding towards my goal.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

The Mates that were playing with me last night saw a wonderful goal thanks to the world class as.

Drenched
Oct 29, 2010

Soulex posted:

The Mates that were playing with me last night saw a wonderful goal thanks to the world class as.

Will there be any wonderful mates games tonight? These drop in matches are awful!

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Apparently you don't need any Mates when you have GTA V.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Friend, mates over GTA V any day.

Just let me know. Pro clubs is best mode.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Soulex posted:

Pro clubs is best mode.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Keepers are loving stupid this year. I just had my keeper (controlled by the CPU) allow a back pass to roll right past him into the goal. I feel like we need a :darksouls: emote for FIFA14.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Better than having a defender block a pass from the opponent (shielding, never touched) where the keeper dives to block, trips the defender, trips the attacker, the keeper gets up and a second attacker passes it in the net.

gently caress keepers.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

My luck with the packs in 14 continues to be awesome. I pulled Thiago Silva and sold him immediately. Bought Kompany/Luiz/Ramires and saved up a little more and got Suarez. Ramires turned out to be poo poo at CDM because he gets pushed off the ball so easily. I sold him at a profit and bought Fellaini. Worked the market a bit more and flipped some players, bought Baines. I have pretty much everyone I want except for Ozil/Yaya. Unfortnately both of those guys go for around 100k.

Guess I'll just sit with this squad for awhile until something else turns up.

Suarez/Sturridge is such an amazing combination. Just having Suarez around opens up so much space for Sturridge, who now has 9 goals in 13 games.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Solid BPL team.

I got Suarez myself. Wish he would bite someone.

Pulled. Di Natale out of a coin pack.

This game is trying to suck me in.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

So I'm just learning the ropes of FUT, but I think it's hilarious that my squad could not qualify to play in the A-league because Nicklas loving Bendtner was too good!

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Built this team (I did epl last year) after pulling Ramos and Benzema from consecutive packs. Hamsik with a maestro card is wonderful, everyone else is basic. Tevez scored 3 goals my first match out with him.

What am I missing? I need a better defense, I think.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
You'll want to add Ogbonna and Benatia at the center of your defense. Maggio and Armero or Asamoah on the wings. And Abate at RB if you can afford him.

Edit: looking at it again, I would sell Tevez and use the money to upgrade the rest of your team. Midfield of Armero, De Rossi, and Maggio. Defense of Constant, Ogbonna, Chiellini, and Abate.

blue footed boobie fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 7, 2013

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Another reason I sold my copy is because Keeper seems nigh-on loving unplayable this year. Your keeper no longer automatically picks up balls that slowly roll towards him and stuff. You're meant to use triangle to pick these up, but sometimes that just makes you play it with your feet instead. triangle also doubles as the "rush out" function but again, sometimes as GK I'll rush out and just tackle them with my loving feet (inside the box) or something. I tried using manual movement and square instead, but that seems to give up a penalty 100% of the time. Manual keeper is really hosed this year. They also have fixed the depth perception issues with the camera.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Dirk Pitt posted:

Built this team (I did epl last year) after pulling Ramos and Benzema from consecutive packs. Hamsik with a maestro card is wonderful, everyone else is basic. Tevez scored 3 goals my first match out with him.

What am I missing? I need a better defense, I think.

My team is similar to yours although I haven't used Tevez yet, I've started with a 41212 at first as well but I think Serie A has better CMs than it does CDMs, I wound up buying both Vidal and Pirlo and they seem to be doing a decent job, Montolivo is pretty good and pretty cheap as well.

Mario Gomez has been rather immense for me, very strong, somewhat fast and very reliable in the air.

I've tried most Serie A wingers (except for El Shaarawy really but he's way too expensive and his stats look like crap) and I found Candreva to be the best RM and Asamoah/Lulic to be the best LMs. Asamoah is stronger and faster but he is far less useful on the ball.

You also definitely need Chiellini and Ogbonna. I recently switched Ogbonna to Barzagli but I'm really not sure Barzagli is any better.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Some good CBs for Serie A are Ogbonna, Gamberini (CB for Genoa), Juan Jesus, Chiellini, Bonnuci, Caceres, and Benatia.

Asamoah and Maggio are the best wingers for me. Both are fantastic, and seem to be where I need them to be. They aren't big goal scorers, but they aren't supposed to be.

I played with Tevez and replaced him with Di Natale. Haven't tried it yet, but Tevez just seemed to drop off the map for me.

Serie A has a lot of fantastic midfielders. It's hard to pick and choose, but I ended up with Hernanez and Guarin, with Inler up in the CAM position. He's a great pick up for that position. 4 star weak foot, and long shots for days.

Palacio is also a good pick for a striker. Speedy and has a strong head.

Replace your RB with Konko. He's not as fast as Abate but he's by far one of my favorite RBs. Sucks that Serie A only has 2 loving gold LBs this year. Not much choice in that regard. I also find Handanovic way better than Marchetti.

Soulex fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Oct 7, 2013

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
If anyone here wondered where all the penalties went in FIFA 14, I just found them. When you receive the ball in the box and you're in a tough spot just hold your shield the ball modifier (R1 by default I think) and watch as the ref gives you penalty after penalty.

Just got 4 in one game, I think my opponent was rather annoyed.

Edit: Vidal gets injured every other game, pretty freaking annoying.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Oct 7, 2013

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Squad dick showing post inc.

So, after getting a bunch of decent players from the money I did spend (less than 50 bucks this time), and taking advantage of that nice little glitch that happened the other day with consumables , I now have a ton of good squads and I'm pumped for every one.

Belgium Squad:

These guys are pretty good, Lukaku and Fellani are nasty as hell. Niangolan is amazing and I'd love to have him in my Serie A squad. Sucks not having decent fullbacks but hey, what are you going to do.

Bundesbutts:

Easily one of my favorite squads right now. I replaced Son with Lewandowski and haven't tried him yet. Son is a great bargain buy though. 5 star weak foot. He's great. The false nine is super duper. Gundogan is amazing, and I like Balotelli as well. Kind of upset that Muller is on the Wing. And there isn't a whole lot of what I can do on the left side. Alaba is my buddy, Naldo is 6 foot 5 and Boateng is Boateng. There needs to be a Boateng button like there is a Gomez button.

Communist F.A.Q:

Haven't tried this team yet, but I made one last year and loved Honda so much that I had to make another Russian team. This is a budget squad for the most part.

Smelly Football League 1:

Outstanding silver team. Built it for the single player season and I liked it so much I decided to keep it. Doesn't cost much, so if you're looking for a good silver team, hit it up. The single striker up front gets a lot of the glory, and for some reason Wolverton has a lot of great players.

Evita:

I made a few changes to my Argentina squad. Still a kick rear end squad. Miralles is bad rear end, and the team is super cheap again. I've only lost one game with this crew. Lost the silver cup at the finals, and got through the first couple of games of online FUT seasons.

Ma Che Cazzo Fai :

Serie A squad. Great line up. Switched Tevez for Di Natale, but haven't tried it yet. Inler is a goddamn monster, and the formation is pretty solid. 3-5-2 seems pretty weak this year so a 3-4-1-2 was nice. More attacking than anything, but the defenders more than make up for it. Also Handanovic is disgusting.

England Hates America:

Built this squad on a whim. I love having Jovetic back in my hands again (one of my favorite players of 13) and Suarez is okie dokie. I really wish his celebration was him biting someone. Fernandinho is cool too. This was probably the most expensive squad, thanks to everyone wanting a BPL team. Suarez was 75k when I bought him, Jovetic, and Wilshire were the only ones I got via packs.

And that's that. I think I'm set for the year, or atleast until transfer season.

If I get an inform, it'll only be one, and probably a cheapish one. Like how Inler's was last year, and Jovetic's.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Here's my backup french squad

France has some really nice players this year.

Remy is overpowered as usual, since he's fast as poo poo again and can still head the ball.
Valbuena is fantastic. I just wish he could shoot.
Maltuidi and M'Vila are both very nice, same with the CB's.

I think I'm gonna get Nasri and switch to last year's 4-2-3-1 as soon as I can afford it. Maybe with Menez at central CAM?

Still haven't changed a thing about my serie A squad. Love that team.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Every loving shot my opponents shoot are finesse shots now. This patch can come soon enough. I haven't broken my Fifa 13 habit of only using finesse shots in specific situations but apparently everyone else has.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
i must of missed it, but was there a North American Parmos created?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Seltzer posted:

Every loving shot my opponents shoot are finesse shots now. This patch can come soon enough. I haven't broken my Fifa 13 habit of only using finesse shots in specific situations but apparently everyone else has.

Yeah, every shot has gotta be a finesse shot. It's annoyingly hard to score with a regular shot.

I don't really mind it since it doesn't change the gameplay for me, but I guess I'd prefer to not press RB while shooting

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

It is either run down the wings and cross to cavani/gomez/bony or make a finesse shot that would have been impossible last year right now. Also the lack of fouls as someone pointed out is loving annoying. It's like you pick up more fouls in the BRAND NEW DEFENSIVE POSTIONING as a reason for you to use it more. Release a fifa 13 patch EA.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Soulex posted:

Friend, mates over GTA V any day.

Just let me know. Pro clubs is best mode.

How do I get in? My Gamertag is iamtehgreatest

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

NNick posted:

Related, I just put in a transfer request for mates as bait gina if someone could accept it and we can play some games and have fun :shobon:

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
Most of the regulars have been on GTA so not many have been on lately. It'll pick up again when we get a bored, but I'll go on tonight, approve whoever is in the list and maybe play a couple games if we have enough.

NNick posted:

Send a request to club name 'Mates' and I'll approve it when I'm not trying to get Taff out of my shower on GTA.

Karl Ontario
Jan 1, 2006

Maybe if I'm part of that mob, I can help steer it in wise directions.
I am playing seasons online and I keep losing 1-0 or 2-1, I play pretty solid defense, but I am having trouble scoring and getting any consistent pressure. Any tips on what may help? I am using Chelsea and usually lineup in a 4-3-2-1.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I can't loving score finesse shots for poo poo what the hell.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Karl Ontario posted:

I am playing seasons online and I keep losing 1-0 or 2-1, I play pretty solid defense, but I am having trouble scoring and getting any consistent pressure. Any tips on what may help? I am using Chelsea and usually lineup in a 4-3-2-1.

Don't play Chelsea, Chelsea are on the low-end of the 5 star ranked teams, you'll be facing Madrid and PSG all day and the quality difference is enough for the RNG to screw you and bounce balls back to Ronaldo and Bale.

People always select the strongest teams for a specific tier, in the 5 stars it's obviously Madrid, PSG and Barca. 4.5 stars seems to be all about Dortmund (again) and Arsenal.

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

I can't loving score finesse shots for poo poo what the hell.

Are you aiming to the far post?

From what I can tell regular shots are effective to the near post and finesse shots are almost guaranteed goals to the far post.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Oct 8, 2013

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I can't wait till the patch. Played a few games and lost due to over the top spamming. It's annoying.

I'm a big fan of the 4-1-2-1-2 (2) formation. The BPL team I made with it smacks a lot of bad players. That Russian squad is also tits. Super great, and Honda is still a beast this year.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

finesse shots are almost guaranteed goals to the far post.

Are people being hyperbolic when they say things like this?

I completely agree that finesse shots, corners, and headers are more powerful this year. But I don't score with them "every time"; I'm scoring at about the same rate as in previous versions, except now most of my goals are from finesse shots, corners, and headers.

A lot of my finesse shots hit the posts, a lot of my corners are cleared off the line by defenders manning the posts, and the keepers still save some of my efforts on target. I wouldn't say that any method of shooting is a "guaranteed goal" or that you can "score every time" somehow, unless I'm doing something wrong.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Obviously I don't score ten goals a game, but if I score at least one finessed shot and one header every match and sometimes 2-3 of each I consider it an 'almost guaranteed goal'. Finesse shots from almost any range are very likely to at least win a corner, if you're shooting from within 25 meters you have a very good chance of striking a crazy dipping shot that the goal keeper can't reach.

edit: This does not mean that I win every match, not at all, it's just that matches in FIFA 14 often end with multiple goals scored on each end.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

runoverbobby posted:

Are people being hyperbolic when they say things like this?

I completely agree that finesse shots, corners, and headers are more powerful this year. But I don't score with them "every time"; I'm scoring at about the same rate as in previous versions, except now most of my goals are from finesse shots, corners, and headers.

A lot of my finesse shots hit the posts, a lot of my corners are cleared off the line by defenders manning the posts, and the keepers still save some of my efforts on target. I wouldn't say that any method of shooting is a "guaranteed goal" or that you can "score every time" somehow, unless I'm doing something wrong.

This has been my experience. I'm scoring with headers and finesse shots, but my games are mostly low-scoring affairs. I haven't really seen or been scoring these crazy finesse shots so idk what the deal is there. It's just like fifa 13's shooting, but you hold rb now.

Also, although I've been scoring a bunch of headers, they've been pretty easy to defend for me. There have only been one or two games where more than 1 header has been scored against me.

I'm only up to Division 6 so far (been promoted or won every time, just haven't played a ton recently). Maybe all these people are having all these problems in the higher divisions?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

blue footed boobie posted:

This has been my experience. I'm scoring with headers and finesse shots, but my games are mostly low-scoring affairs. I haven't really seen or been scoring these crazy finesse shots so idk what the deal is there. It's just like fifa 13's shooting, but you hold rb now.

Also, although I've been scoring a bunch of headers, they've been pretty easy to defend for me. There have only been one or two games where more than 1 header has been scored against me.

I'm only up to Division 6 so far (been promoted or won every time, just haven't played a ton recently). Maybe all these people are having all these problems in the higher divisions?

I hope so. It's annoying. I can march up the midfield and usually get a chance. They just 1-2 and hoof it and one or two times a game my loving defenders will be too far up and he'll have a shot.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I've seen tons of goals from headers from a zero angle at the far post, people just cross it hard, the forward backs off and then heads it between the GK and the post or just chips it near the further post, I have no idea how to defend against those even if it's a midget forward vs. a tall CB, by the time the selection switches to the relevant defender he's still with his back towards the goal and attacker has already turned around for the header after gaining a meter of space.

Any tips would be appreciated.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I saw those crazy headers when I first started playing, but haven't seen any since my first 10 or so games. I'm not sure what you're doing, but I can say that the game really favors whoever is in front when going for a header (ball rarely goes around or over or around the player in front). Also, I clear every ball into the box with B on xbox with very few exceptions and rarely switch players in the box.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

The new patch is pretty drat nice but it seems like switching players after the opponent crosses is really broken. It always switches to your fullbacks instead of the centreback marking his attacker, loving annoying. I'm conceding a million goals.

Also this is a pretty fun and cheap squad. Jackson Martinez is a loving beast. 86 strength, 85 jumping, 82 pace with 84 finishing and 86 heading accuracy.
http://www.futhead.com/14/squads/1024111/

Only weakness is Bodmer so taking suggestions on replacements

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Has the patch fixed awful first touches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Seltzer posted:

Has the patch fixed awful first touches?

Seems decent yeah. Also nerfed finesse shot and over the top balls

• Locked thread