Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

All those nazi emblems give me an idea.

I wonder if this is recognizable enough to be bannable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
The other day I road killed a parachuting dude in the cobra. I'm still kicking myself for both A) not having fraps ready because I had plenty of wind up time to start a recording, and B) not going into 3rd person to watch him bounce gently off my rotors and die.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Propaganda Hour posted:

Does anyone know for sure if damage against vehicles works in BF4 like it does for BC2 and BF3? I've been assuming so but I'm not sure.

For new people: vehicles take more damage the more of a straight on 90 degree shot they take to any side. So glancing shots do less damage. Also tanks have most armor on front, some armor on sides, and just about zero armor on their rear end. Shoot tank asses.

Here's a pretty drat great video of the current damage model for tanks in the beta:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjp-nk-RkcM

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Gazaar posted:

The other day I road killed a parachuting dude in the cobra. I'm still kicking myself for both A) not having fraps ready because I had plenty of wind up time to start a recording, and B) not going into 3rd person to watch him bounce gently off my rotors and die.

It's the best feeling. Along with just barely squeaking across the ground.

Kaustik
Jun 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/repi/statuses/387582507710828546

DICE posted:

So expect some improvements in the next #BF4 OpenBeta patch. Though Win8 w/ our DX11.1 backend is definitely the fastest path (until Mantle)

Hopefully this will do it for me. I get the same poo poo FPS no matter what my graphic settings are or what tweaks I do.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
For what it's worth, clearing a well-held roof from multiple angles can actually be pretty fun

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Doflamingo posted:

BF4 looks plenty vibrant to me. Before some rear end in a top hat takes the skyscraper down, that is.

I think you mean a hero of the glorious People's Republic who crushed the West's extravagant tower and liberated the Republic from the tyranny of the free market.

That tower being up is one of my least favorite times on the map because you can tell the developers intended for people to use it as both a vantage and jumping off point for the rest of the map. Too bad everyone who gets up there starts calling out which bedroom they want for their sleepover.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Rectus posted:

All those nazi emblems give me an idea.

I wonder if this is recognizable enough to be bannable.

You're so edgy I think you just gave me a papercut.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

C point is always cool because fighting for it as infantry is nasty whether the tower is there or not. It's a great hotspot no matter what's going on elsewhere in the map. Even pubbies in the transport helo are pretty good about making passes to drop dudes off there and retake it due to its central location and how hard it can make life for the team that doesn't possess it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Gazaar posted:

I think I was the one you killed because that happened to me the other day. Good flying dude. I had to laugh at that death.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Also going only battlefield and straffing the windows with an attack helo.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
When do I get the shotgun, I just want my shotgun :negative:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Zzulu posted:

When do I get the shotgun, I just want my shotgun :negative:

You have to unlock it by playing Support. You can check your progress in Battlelog under Soldier->Overview->Unlocks->Kits.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
If you guys have not chased a guy with a tank inside the E point building smashing walls and furniture as he desperately tries to run away you haven't played this game yet.

The destruction is so good. :allears:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I wish I could pick stuff up and use as a shield, or throw garbage bins and traffic cones at people

Or build my own little fort out of office supplies ;-*

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Ularg posted:

Someone has 125 hours played. :stare:

That guy has literally only stopped to eat and sleep, im sure he's got a poo poo bucket.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Bolow posted:

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/soldier/Boloww/weapons/306159096/pc/

If you aint running Recon with an 870 and C4 then I don't know what you're doing with your life.

Don't see the point in using anything other than slugs with the 870. Out sniping some guy with a sniper rifle on a giant building with nothing but the iron sight is some heroic poo poo. Semi auto is way better at buckshot anyway. Is there gonna be an extended magazine for the semiauto shotguns because 6 ammo is not enough.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Don't see the point in using anything other than slugs with the 870. Out sniping some guy with a sniper rifle on a giant building with nothing but the iron sight is some heroic poo poo. Semi auto is way better at buckshot anyway. Is there gonna be an extended magazine for the semiauto shotguns because 6 ammo is not enough.

Actually I just want a mag fed semi-auto. The beta one sucks.

And I just noticed Battlelog can automatically post events such as joining games, winning games, new battlelog friendships and stuff to Facebook. Why the hell would I ever want that?

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
I was surprised how different the performance in the beta was before and after updating my nVidia drivers. I have a fairly decent machine (3770k, 8GB RAM, 660 GTX TI) and the game was stuttering and freezing on high settings at 1920x1200. I updated to the beta drivers for BF4 and now it's very smooth.

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now
On that note, looks like there's a new ATI driver out today. Just is time for my 7950 to arrive.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Going from a single 760 to dual 760s in SLI has been a pretty massive performance jump. This patch also seems to have smoothed out the stuttering issues that I was having (i5-4670k)!

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

I've been getting better performance since the patch aswell. However I finally ran into the bug where the building was destroyed but still looked (somewhat) intact on my end. I'm going to assume that's one of the things that will be fixed for release.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I made this lovely thing:

maybe :nws:

I wish it was easier to align poo poo symmetrically

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

And I just noticed Battlelog can automatically post events such as joining games, winning games, new battlelog friendships and stuff to Facebook. Why the hell would I ever want that?

I don't know about the Facebook integration but why do people Hoorah! all the poo poo like "we just became friends!" Is there something to that?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Gonkish posted:

Going from a single 760 to dual 760s in SLI has been a pretty massive performance jump. This patch also seems to have smoothed out the stuttering issues that I was having (i5-4670k)!

Holy poo poo, what resolution/how many screens you using? That seems like super overkill.

I get 60+FPS on ultra @2550x1440 with a single GTX770 and i5-4670k at stock clocks.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Soarer posted:

I don't know about the Facebook integration but why do people Hoorah! all the poo poo like "we just became friends!" Is there something to that?

Are you saying there's something wrong with the Hooah? Cause those are fighting words :colbert:

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

tehinternet posted:

Holy poo poo, what resolution/how many screens you using? That seems like super overkill.

I get 60+FPS on ultra @2550x1440 with a single GTX770 and i5-4670k at stock clocks.

This is good to know. I run 2560x1600 with SLI GTX580s, i5-750 @ 3.6 GHz, Auto settings (mix of ultra and high, no MSAA) and it varies from 30-50 FPS. I was planning on upgrading to Haswell and a new GPU after release, sounds like I might not need SLI to achieve 60+ FPS on ultra.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Lugaloco posted:

Are you saying there's something wrong with the Hooah? Cause those are fighting words :colbert:

Always hooah everything. Unless you're hooahing yourself, as that's just gross.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Ularg posted:

Someone has 125 hours played. :stare:

I just realized that the servers haven't been up for the entire 8 days either. So with 75 hours this guy wasn't playing, that may have been because he was unable to for some period.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Anti-Hero posted:

This is good to know. I run 2560x1600 with SLI GTX580s, i5-750 @ 3.6 GHz, Auto settings (mix of ultra and high, no MSAA) and it varies from 30-50 FPS. I was planning on upgrading to Haswell and a new GPU after release, sounds like I might not need SLI to achieve 60+ FPS on ultra.

Yeah, it runs really well. I'm running windows 8 too, so that may be a factor.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

tehinternet posted:

Yeah, it runs really well. I'm running windows 8 too, so that may be a factor.

Possibly. DICE seem to be putting a lot of emphasis on Windows 8. I was planning on checking it out once 8.1 releases.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Anti-Hero posted:

I have haswell and a 760 and I get constant 60 on ultra @ 1080p.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Mr.Citrus posted:

I have haswell and a 760 and I get constant 60 on ultra @ 1080p.

I have to wonder if just upgrading to Haswell might negate the need for a GPU upgrade. SLI GTX580 should still be pretty beefy.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

tehinternet posted:

Right now, 1080p@60Hz so yeah it's overkill. I'm planning on upgrading to a higher res at some point.

Meanwhile, I just spent two rounds loving with idiots on the roof with the XM25. The entire opposing team decided sitting on the roof was preferable to actually playing the loving game, and thus not only did they lose spectacularly, they bitched non-stop about me killing them with the XM25 repeatedly. It's not my loving fault you're prone on a roof with your gun sticking over the edge, giving me a perfect angle from which to make your face explode!

You'd think that they'd loving learn the first four times, but apparently loving not.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Edit: didn't see previous posts.

Javes fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 8, 2013

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Attention nerds:

PC Parts Thread
Monitor Thread

For all your spec numberwang needs.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Gonkish posted:

Right now, 1080p@60Hz so yeah it's overkill. I'm planning on upgrading to a higher res at some point.

Meanwhile, I just spent two rounds loving with idiots on the roof with the XM25. The entire opposing team decided sitting on the roof was preferable to actually playing the loving game, and thus not only did they lose spectacularly, they bitched non-stop about me killing them with the XM25 repeatedly. It's not my loving fault you're prone on a roof with your gun sticking over the edge, giving me a perfect angle from which to make your face explode!

You'd think that they'd loving learn the first four times, but apparently loving not.

If you're getting shot at by the XM25, you're best off running toward the fire. Since it's actually exploding behind you and the guy shooting is a support and will take him a bit to realize what's happening, pull out his LMG, sight in and finally shoot you. But no one will think to do that since the instance is to run away and prone down to avoid fire.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

One of the reasons why I don't like the beta map is specifically because of the rooftop campers. All of the tall buildings and rooftops seem to be a magnet for terrible players and they contribute absolutely nothing up there. at least three quarters of my losses have been because over half of my team were content just chilling on the rooftops not doing anything useful whatsoever. At least in previous games when you got the sniper groups hanging out by a pile of rocks on the outskirts of battles, they sometimes shot people.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

I actually really like the dynamic of having to deal with rooftop snipers everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Speaking of shooting from rooftops, I'm having trouble gauging bullet drop when firing at an angle that extreme. It's weird because I don't have any trouble firing at similar angles upwards at choppers. I'm sure there's no trick to it or anything, I just need to get some more practice at it.

• Locked thread