Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

PFlats posted:

Wait, I thought comic book Nick Fury was an old white guy. When did he turn into Sam Jackson? Or is that just for the game?

My friend was saying its actually his son http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Fury,_Jr.

But there is the ultimate marvel version http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Nick_Fury

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Ultimate Version of Nick Fury is a black guy that looks like Sam Jackson. In the normal Marvel universe, Nick Fury is a white guy BUT he had a son that's a black kid and also an eye patch also his name is Nick Fury too and he's director of SHIELD now (because the normal universe needs to match the movies).

They put Agent Coulson in the comics too.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's SLJ Nick Fury, which is Ultimate Nick Fury (Ultimate being a parallel-reboot of continuity launched in 2000) but used to replace every version of Nick Fury in every medium that isn't comicbooks once Samuel L Jackson was like "oh hey, that's my face - now give me a contract to play him in every movie".

Nick Fury Jr. only exists to inject SLJ Nick Fury into regular comicbook non-Ultimates continuity and doesn't appear anywhere else because Nick Fury is already Samuel L Jackson there.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Black Nick Fury is Nick Fury's son. Somehow. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Fury,_Jr.

Also help. I close my eyes and I see tiles falling into place. Help meeeee.

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008
I've had my Ipad for ~2 months, and I've been trying to find more "must haves".

Found some cool games from this thread and the top rated games on toucharcade, but still looking for some more.

My most played/favorite games are:

PAD
Pocket Trains
Puzzle Craft
Bad Piggies

Any suggestions?

Pocket RPG looks pretty cool, might have to pick that up!

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

uh zip zoom posted:

So I was playing Game of War today, correcting phrases for the translator and this little :psyduck: of a gem popped up:

Wow.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

ImsaKidd posted:

Found some cool games from this thread and the top rated games on toucharcade, but still looking for some more.

PAD
Pocket Trains
Puzzle Craft
Bad Piggies

Any suggestions?

Are you mostly into 'game' games or is the artsy fartsy in the running too?

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

ImsaKidd posted:

PAD
Pocket Trains
Puzzle Craft
Bad Piggies

Any suggestions?

If you're totally new to iOS then you have certainly have options. Here's my short list of all-time favorites.

-Dungeon Hunter 2 HD is the best aRPG/D-Clone on iOS. It's the peak of the series though; they ruined it after that. (I think Pocket RPG is a little too simple.)
-Kingdom Rush and the new sequel, Kingdom Rush: Frontiers, are pretty awesome Tower Defense games that nail the formula and let you level up a couple different heroes too.
-Knights of Pen and Paper is a turn-based RPG that lets you build up a party of tabletop adventurers.

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008

Sad lions posted:

Are you mostly into 'game' games or is the artsy fartsy in the running too?

Probably lean more towards "game" games, but i'd be willing to try whatever!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The OP hasnt been updated since January, but there's still plenty of good titles in there.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

Anyone have any suggestions on a loot based RPG-lite? I'm not looking for an engrossing storyline that I will remember for years, just something where I can beat monsters on the head while taking a dump, get levels, and get ever increasingly shiny armor and more glow-y swords.

Something like torchlight would be ideal.

Solomon's Keep.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

ImsaKidd posted:

Probably lean more towards "game" games, but i'd be willing to try whatever!

Well running through my bought pile I picked out this lot for varying degrees of artsy and fartsy or adventure:

Gemini Rue
Limbo
Little Inferno (this is the only one here that I wouldn't strictly call a game so much an a physics experiment with a background story).
Nightsky
Nihilumbra
Superbrothers: sword and sworcery EP
The Room
Year Walk

And because I went past it making this little list I absolutely recommend getting XCOM for iPad. Absolutely worth the higher price point if you're down for a longer experience and like turn based strategy.

I'm on the fence about recommending The Cave because while I've been playing it and having a blast it's been pretty much in spite of having iffy controls.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Maybe we should get a Marvel Puzzle Quest thread going, because I've got another question. I've not got enough storage space! What exactly happens when you've got no storage and you get another cover? It says it will go into your cache, but there's nothing that describes what exactly that is. Are they just stored until you can free up space?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I dont see it mentioned much but ORC: Vengeance is a good Diablo clone.

I'm also digging Phoenix HD, but mostly for the GPS based top score list.
I like playing the game in different cities and see how I rank in the area. I'd like to see more games do that.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

SynthOrange posted:

Maybe we should get a Marvel Puzzle Quest thread going, because I've got another question. I've not got enough storage space! What exactly happens when you've got no storage and you get another cover? It says it will go into your cache, but there's nothing that describes what exactly that is. Are they just stored until you can free up space?
I'm pretty sure the cache only stores one cover and is meant to be a "whoops, need to clear out my collection" buffer so when you clear a slot it'll dump your cover in there instead of where before if you earned a cover without any space it just disappeared forever.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cool, thanks. I probably should sell off Hawkeye since he's just taking up space, but at the same time, he's pretty much the only one with targetable abilities to take out horribly placed enemy tiles.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I don't mind the timer in Marvel because I prefer playing once in a while rather than grinding my way through. But it sucks other people can cheat it to level up faster and make the PVP harder.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Apocron posted:

I don't mind the timer in Marvel because I prefer playing once in a while rather than grinding my way through. But it sucks other people can cheat it to level up faster and make the PVP harder.

The timer system is diabolically timed. I can usually play for a good 20 or 30 minutes before I run out of health / energy refreshes and then are asked if I want to spend bux or wait. By that time I've got my groove on and do Want to play more.

Yeah, PVP is a mixed bag for me. I see all these people who don't get a 4th copy of hawkeye from the 150 gold draws....
I just pretend that they bought all those levels with IAP.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Another 20 iso-8 , hooray! :smithicide:

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

So I managed to finally land the 50 gold reward in the first level, and picked up a premium character - got a 4-star X-Force Wolverine, who proceeded to completely break the early levels. Poor old Juggernaut :(

In terms of the crazy 4-star characters, is the only way to level them/train up via premium currency? Or do covers for them actually drop later in the game? I have a feeling he's going to stay at level 1 for quite some time (although he still shreds/tanks everything for now).

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Am I being dense? I thought Tapped Out would have it's own thread but can't see one? I am phone posting so maybe that's my problem.

Kitten Baubles
May 10, 2008
Marvel Puzzle Quest actually gave out free premium currency (hero coins) via a notification today. Did everyone get that? If so it's a really good sign they might be trying to adopt how PAD handles the IAP.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Kitten Baubles posted:

Marvel Puzzle Quest actually gave out free premium currency (hero coins) via a notification today. Did everyone get that? If so it's a really good sign they might be trying to adopt how PAD handles the IAP.

I haven't gotten it but I just started playing yesterday.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

epitasis posted:

I haven't gotten it but I just started playing yesterday.

I also didn't get the bonus. Is it country specific?

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
Really digging Agricola. I haven't played the board game, so it took a few games before I started really getting into a rhythm. It's probably much better on iPad because it's cramped on the phone, but still very playable. It also gets frustrating (especially early on) because every move does matter quite a bit, so you get 10 rounds into a 14-round game and realize that you've hosed up one placement and it's pretty much game over. Still, once you are familiar enough to plan ahead, it's a very fun game.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

bubbapook posted:

In terms of the crazy 4-star characters, is the only way to level them/train up via premium currency? Or do covers for them actually drop later in the game? I have a feeling he's going to stay at level 1 for quite some time (although he still shreds/tanks everything for now).
I haven't seen any in the missions, but 4-star Wolverine seems to be the top prize for every PvP tournament. You can level by training the skill he has using ISO instead of covers, but it gets expensive pretty quickly and you need a matching cover to unlock any other skills.

vvv oh, lame. I guess the high level 3-4 stars I'm seeing are much more of a money sink than I thought.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 8, 2013

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Ghostlight posted:

I haven't seen any in the missions, but 4-star Wolverine seems to be the top prize for every PvP tournament. You can level by training the skill he has using ISO instead of covers, but it gets expensive pretty quickly and you need a matching cover to unlock any other skills.

The 3 star Dr. Doom I got randomly requires gold to upgrade his skills w/o a cover.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
Loving this Marvel Puzzle Quest game but I feel like a total rookie. Is there strategy here? I keep randomly matching three tiles with no thought involved.

Should I be saving up special moves? Are some moves better than others?

edit: nevermind, I read back a page.

Samara fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 8, 2013

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004
MPQ tip: If you force close the app when it tries to make you spend your hero points and then reopen it you can buy the 150 point covers instead of being stuck on the 50 point cover page. You can also do this the second time it tries to make you buy one of those bullshit heroes and you can even buy the 500 ISO cover if you don't have 150 points the second time.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Black Widow is pretty neat once your abilities are levelled up. Shutdown enemies for 3 turns and then steal their gems cripples most boss fights. Hawkeye less so, but once in awhile I do wish I had brought him along when a pyro targets a lone green gem on the lowest row. :negative:

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

vvv oh, lame. I guess the high level 3-4 stars I'm seeing are much more of a money sink than I thought.

Yeah, unfortunately unlike the other chars, 4-star wolverine requires gold to even level up his starter skill, hence why he's still stuck on lvl 1.

I'm currently running X-Factor Wolverine, Classic Storm/Black Widow and Iron Man, and the one thing that's proving a weak spot is black/purple. Who's the best char you guys have found for those two colours? Venom?

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
ive been running Loki and he's a beast on purple

Samara fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 9, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Regular Stormy is pretty good for black with her DOT attack, and Black Widow's purple is great for stealing APs. Once you get Storm's red attack, thats pretty fun too in cities. Eat all those fukken hot dogs.

edit: Aw, stuns dont stack. Which is lucky for juggernaut because he's been eating Black Widow's stun darts all day.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 9, 2013

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
In Marvel PQ, be careful that different starred character covers have different moves. I got one of the two-star Storms, and just sold off my starter Storm. That's when I learned they only share one ability I think (whoops).

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Lofty132 posted:

Am I being dense? I thought Tapped Out would have it's own thread but can't see one? I am phone posting so maybe that's my problem.

I don't think it's that deep. Click on things, wait a while. Don't spend any money.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Voodoo posted:

In Marvel PQ, be careful that different starred character covers have different moves. I got one of the two-star Storms, and just sold off my starter Storm. That's when I learned they only share one ability I think (whoops).

Yeah, different costumes = different characters essentially, skills are different, not shared. The only thing is that you cannot stack your team with them, i.e. you cant have X-Force Wolverine, Astonishing Wolverine and Classic Wolverine on the same team.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I can't stop playing Giant Boulder of Death help.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Hawkeye less so, but once in awhile I do wish I had brought him along when a pyro targets a lone green gem on the lowest row. :negative:

Yeah those pyros are brutal, but classic storm least hits them back with 400-600+ damage and gains you 8-12ap which is enough to either kill them or have iron man use his cannon and kill them.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Maybe a new thread for this Marvel game? Not trying to thread poo poo but the last day or three it's basically been talks about this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

But that takes effort. Maybe when I'm on the pooper later I'll type one out.

• Locked thread