Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"I have no idea how to use Excel to do my job, what the gently caress is wrong with the IT team"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.
It really pisses me off when lovely webapps take over standard browser shortcuts. When I want a new tab, I push Control-T, and start typing away; well, normally. This application we use at work uses that (and a whole host of other commands) for some in-application toggles and it bugs me when I go to open a new tab or whatever, start typing away, and nothing happens.

I know it's something I should adapt to, but goddamn is it ever annoying.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

I think I've bitched about this before, but I'm going to do it again.

You remember the end of Braveheart, where Wallace is dragged in on a cart, has rotten food thrown at him by a hissing crowd, then is gruesomely tortured in public before being executed and having his body parts shipped to the corners of the world to serve as a reminder? We need to do that to the shitlord who invented embedding advertising links in web page backgrounds.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Caged posted:

"I have no idea how to use Excel to do my job, what the gently caress is wrong with the IT team"

you can't be serious

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
I wouldn't be surprised if he is serious, I've seen people expect the IT department to train them before.

These are always, without fail, the same people who put "six-sigma certified Excel 2013 blackbelt, 8 years experience" on their cv.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It was tongue-in-cheek, but some people fail to draw a mental line between the scope of work being to ensure that you are provided with functional tools with which to perform your job, and training in how to do it.

And yeah, it is the ones that think "MS Office" counts as a skill worthy of appearing on a résumé.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Misogynist posted:

It's as though your print server admin has no idea that group policy templates or scripting exist even in the event that these words are truthful and accurate

Its even easier than that. Right click and choose print defaults. No group policy or scripting necessary

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Syano posted:

Its even easier than that. Right click and choose print defaults. No group policy or scripting necessary

If you're really flash you can make two print queues with different defaults. Did this to make two different queues based on whether you're printing onto label stock vs plain paper. People thought I was a goddam wizard.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

rolleyes posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if he is serious, I've seen people expect the IT department to train them before.

Yeah, many times per week I get calls where users say, "hey, I just got X software, can you show me how to do X task?"

It's annoying.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Syano posted:

Here's a scrsenshot she sent along with her e-mail, showing how that option doesn't exist:

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

QPZIL posted:

Yeah, many times per week I get calls where users say, "hey, I just got X software, can you show me how to do X task?"

It's annoying.

I get this almost daily in uni.

I am not a programmer, yes I can program here and there. . . but I am not a programmer, so no I cannot show you how to do 100 different things in $random_language.

or my personal favorite "hi i want to use this weird software that was developed on a custom OS on top of a sparc processor and I need it running on this computer using windows 8, they said it was possible on the $horribly_notupdated_sincewin95 webpage!"

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

QPZIL posted:

It's annoying.

Tell them they need to call the training department and give them the number to the local community college.

E: ^ I guess that wouldn't work in your case.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

b0red posted:

you can't be serious

I had to explain to someone that I have no idea what she did to a spreadsheet last week that caused her to break all her formulas, because she was the one that did it. She works in HR and tried to write me up for it.

I also had to explain to our financial advisor, in a meeting with the firm's partners, how to calculate sales tax in Excel.

Excel is haaarddddddd

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

anthonypants posted:

Here's a scrsenshot she sent along with her e-mail, showing how that option doesn't exist:

She needs to load that driver on the machine that she's running the MMC on. It gave her the option, but she bypassed it and probably checked the box so it wouldn't show up again.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also condolences for having to run a print server on Server 2003.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

QPZIL posted:

It's annoying.

"Please learn this software for me so you can teach me how to use it"

And read the manual for them when they forget how to do something etc.

Yeah, that gets old.

I know some people learn more efficiently via example, and so in a way our role is translator from the "nerdy" method of reading the instructions to hand held baby steps, but people seem literally completely incapable of even considering looking at written instructions themselves.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I had an internal group that had a software package that we were responsible for keeping an SQL server online for, and they had paid for support but didn't have a clue how to use the client software.

My manager was flat out insisting that we should learn it, write a set of instructions, and then offer to teach them it. It didn't really go anywhere because that was the point that I walked out the room.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I had to explain to someone that I have no idea what she did to a spreadsheet last week that caused her to break all her formulas, because she was the one that did it. She works in HR and tried to write me up for it.

I also had to explain to our financial advisor, in a meeting with the firm's partners, how to calculate sales tax in Excel.

Excel is haaarddddddd

HR got upgraded to Office 2010 a few weeks ago and one of the payroll jockeys has called me up three or four times about Excel issues where she's hiding rows, password protecting cells, linking workbooks, and other such functions which occasionally causes Excel to die a flaming memory death. Lady I barely know how to add a bunch of cells together, I can't fix your massive spreadsheet <:mad:>

At least that KB I found seems to have solved her problems.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Customer bought a netapp for their environment. A mostly WINDOWS environment, I might add.

So today I get asked to build a VM for this customer, so they can serve their NFS shares via Samba.

... instead of buying a CIFS license.

They REFUSE to spend the money on a cifs license. The yearly cost for the VM would nearly pay for the CIFS license.

I dont understand people sometimes.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Dradien posted:

It really pisses me off when lovely webapps take over standard browser shortcuts. When I want a new tab, I push Control-T, and start typing away; well, normally. This application we use at work uses that (and a whole host of other commands) for some in-application toggles and it bugs me when I go to open a new tab or whatever, start typing away, and nothing happens.

I know it's something I should adapt to, but goddamn is it ever annoying.

I'm looking at you, Google search and the Backspace key to go back a page. No, I don't want to backspace my perfectly good search query. It's not just focus stealing either - click on the whitespace in the page to take focus off the entry box, then hit backspace. Focus will jump to the search box.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

nitrogen posted:

Customer bought a netapp for their environment. A mostly WINDOWS environment, I might add.

So today I get asked to build a VM for this customer, so they can serve their NFS shares via Samba.

They REFUSE to spend the money on a cifs license. The yearly cost for the VM would nearly pay for the CIFS license.

I don't understand this. Why wouldn't they just buy a windows server with direct attached storage? I mean a low-end Dell 1U server with a MD1200 (or whatever the current model number is) would work just fine if all you want to do with your filer is serve up shares.

Am I missing something?

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Agrikk posted:

I don't understand this. Why wouldn't they just buy a windows server with direct attached storage? I mean a low-end Dell 1U server with a MD1200 (or whatever the current model number is) would work just fine if all you want to do with your filer is serve up shares.

Am I missing something?

The Linux guy is sinking his talons into the whole department for job security

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
:colbert: Dilbert anything but FC is not an enterprise solution.
:v: So why is VAAI Fast provisioning for NFS such an awesome feature for View as well as X/Y/Z. Also most people who we have deployed FC for is because the engineer didn't want research any of the requirements of the customer.
:colbert: That doesn't matter, FC is an enterprise solution and IP based storage is not.
:v: But it saves the design so much cost/deployment/time and complexity, which benefits the clients needs.
:colbert: FC is enterprise protocol anything but FC and your customer will laugh you out; I know some engineer told me one time.
:v: So what about the fact that I can do FCoE on the design as well as other IP based solutions which is more forgiving and easier for the client engineers to understand. Where as to FC I am limiting the client to FC engineers; and limiting their scope of troubleshooting?
:colbert: It's no pure FC

I really double question myself, then I realize everyone I work with is 95% 20/yrs military. Who was programmed to think one way and one way only.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 9, 2013

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Roargasm posted:

Indeed. But unless there's some additional requirements that weren't listed, it's like going out and buying a tow truck as your daily driver. Sure it'll work, but not quite right and you'll have paid for all of this extra functionality that will go to waste.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Roargasm posted:

Even a good linux guy would know how to set up a Centos vm for that....

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

nitrogen posted:

Probably some silly accounting rules, e.g VM maintenance costs will come out of an operations budget and may not need prior approval where as the license will come out of a capital expenditure budget and would need approval from higher up.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Agrikk posted:

Indeed. But unless there's some additional requirements that weren't listed, it's like going out and buying a tow truck as your daily driver. Sure it'll work, but not quite right and you'll have paid for all of this extra functionality that will go to waste.

You'll always have a parking spot with one of those repo tow trucks. :smugbert:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I've been a fan of Microsoft Office for a while, ever since I kind of realized that I understand Outlook and it isn't just a constant cause of shittiness for me.

I mean, yeah, sure, it has totally cryptic errors and the fix for anything too bad is usually "just reinstall everything" but generally it was low-stress for me.

Until tonight.

gently caress Office 2013. When it works I love everything about it but installing it is such a motherfucker with its completely asinine licensing scheme, "Hang on gotta download everything" and "I am done installing by not really!" I wasted five hours tonight installing it on a bunch of computers and then having to roll it back because it couldn't open files on network shares. Godammit.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 9, 2013

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Having problems with Office 2013? Well, I had a user need help with an error during a mail merge.

In Word 2000.

:suicide:

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Inspector_71 posted:

gently caress Office 2013. When it works I love everything about it but installing it is such a motherfucker with its completely asinine licensing scheme, "Hang on gotta download everything" and "I am done installing by not really!" I wasted five hours tonight installing it on a bunch of computers and then having to roll it back because it couldn't open files on network shares. Godammit.

I did an install of that recently where I ran the installer on the disk and then tested out Word, Excel and Outlook to make sure they worked, ensured it was activated etc. All was happy, so I pulled the disk out and turned the PC off. The next day I get a call, nothing is working etc. Turns out that after it tells you it is finished installing it is still installing things off the disk in the background and you need to keep the disk in until it has finished some indeterminate length of time later.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Oh and the installer on at least 2 computers installed past 100%.

I should have taken a screenshot.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The Windows 7 Explorer progress bar does that alot too, grinds away as the bar slowly fills up, and then spills into the goddamn folder window. How the hell does something like that get through QA?

Something recently that pissed me off: sumbitches that use read receipts on email.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

Something recently that pissed me off: sumbitches that use read receipts on email.
Join me in setting every email you ever send out to low priority so that you get that little therapeutic blue down arrow next to every email.

It's especially great when you send emails out regularly that say things like "There has been a power outage at site X due to a flood, nothing is available."

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Varkk posted:

Probably some silly accounting rules, e.g VM maintenance costs will come out of an operations budget and may not need prior approval where as the license will come out of a capital expenditure budget and would need approval from higher up.

you're partially right. The Netapp came used from an acquisition, so to these guys it's "zero" cost. Since this is being billed as "cloud" the VM is technically "free" because they've already paid for the cpu and disk pool usage.

Our support guys chimed in and said they'd refuse to support this stupidity, so hopefully that is the kick in the rear end to make this nightmare go away.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Office 2013? Two licenses on my subscription.

On my desktop Win8 PC, no problem. Once license, all the users on the computer can use it.

I put the second license on my MacBook, but suddenly there aren't enough licenses for my girlfriend's profile.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

We're planning on rolling out Office 2013 company-wide, so I went to install it on my computer to begin to familiarize myself.

And then I uninstalled it because our Exchange server is 2003 which doesn't work with Outlook 2013. :suicide:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sirotan posted:

We're planning on rolling out Office 2013 company-wide, so I went to install it on my computer to begin to familiarize myself.

And then I uninstalled it because our Exchange server is 2003 which doesn't work with Outlook 2013. :suicide:

:suspense:

Awaiting the tales of a hurried Exchange migration.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Commercial software, 25 licenses (login based software+licensing), about 27-30 people frequently want to use it.

There's this tug of war that's been going on in the 3 years that we've had it:

:supaburn: People are constantly getting "license count exceeded" messages, please reduce the auto-disconnect to 30 minutes!

a couple of months later

:supaburn: Everyone is getting pissed off with getting disconnected if they walk away for 30 minutes, we must increase the timer to 75!

a couple of months later

:supaburn: People are constantly getting "license count exceeded" messages, please reduce the auto-disconnect to 60 minutes!

a couple of months later

:supaburn: Everyone is getting pissed off with getting disconnected if they walk away for 30 minutes, we must increase the timer back up to 75!

repeat ad infinitum

Just buy more licenses dammit, you bloody tightarses :argh:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Caged posted:

:suspense:

Awaiting the tales of a hurried Exchange migration.

It was planned but I guess my boss kinda forgot how necessary it was...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Is there actually any compelling reason to go to Office 2013 at all. This in the context of a home user who currently has the 3 user family pack for Office 2010.

So far I've heard nothing but complaints which may or may not be true.

lovely installer, lovely licensing model, enforced cloud bullshit.

What are the actual advantages?