Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Puzzle Strike Rook is goddamn overpowered, that is all I have for today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

SuperKlaus posted:

Puzzle Strike Rook is goddamn overpowered, that is all I have for today.

How so? I've never had too much of a problem against him.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, I'm not sure what'd make him a big deal. Strong defense, sure, but he depends a lot on a good bank, IIRC.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm venting. I do somewhat seriously consider him the best rush in the game, though, or at least one way easier to use than Jaina. What drives me up the (stone) wall about Rook is that he mashes up a 4-gem with eye-watering speed thanks to an innate combine - but also, thanks to that innate combine not consuming $ and chaining into Big Rocks steadily putting bigger gems in his hand (contrast with Martial Mastery/Rigorous Training, which puts in discard, or Purge Bad Habits, which caps at 2-gems), has rather strong money-making. He's a "rusher" who doesn't have to eat his seed corn by losing $ or taking wounds. And if you see him working on his money and try to tip him over, he's got Stone Wall. Arrrggghhh.

I don't consider him bank-dependent at all, though he would not say no to One-Two Punch to make Strength of the Earth and Big Rocks even better. I think he's the cast member who was permitted to continue loving monopurple play. I suppose his biggest weak point is reds (Mix-Master, now that's a good one v. Rook), but not that many characters can competently and reliably deploy reds. Plus that feels like a cop-out because most of the cast gets slammed by reds. That's what reds are for.

Perhaps I should repeat some of this and add to it as a Rook Review. Or someone else might like to. I need to stop posting in my own thread.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 25, 2013

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Man, how is there still no info on Yomi 2.0 or whatever? I want to give you money, Sirlin, but I want it to be for a product I can shuffle manually.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

SuperKlaus posted:

I'm venting. I do somewhat seriously consider him the best rush in the game, though, or at least one way easier to use than Jaina. What drives me up the (stone) wall about Rook is that he mashes up a 4-gem with eye-watering speed thanks to an innate combine - but also, thanks to that innate combine not consuming $ and chaining into Big Rocks steadily putting bigger gems in his hand (contrast with Martial Mastery/Rigorous Training, which puts in discard, or Purge Bad Habits, which caps at 2-gems), has rather strong money-making. He's a "rusher" who doesn't have to eat his seed corn by losing $ or taking wounds. And if you see him working on his money and try to tip him over, he's got Stone Wall. Arrrggghhh.

I don't consider him bank-dependent at all, though he would not say no to One-Two Punch to make Strength of the Earth and Big Rocks even better. I think he's the cast member who was permitted to continue loving monopurple play. I suppose his biggest weak point is reds (Mix-Master, now that's a good one v. Rook), but not that many characters can competently and reliably deploy reds. Plus that feels like a cop-out because most of the cast gets slammed by reds. That's what reds are for.

Perhaps I should repeat some of this and add to it as a Rook Review. Or someone else might like to. I need to stop posting in my own thread.

I think, as with any match, that the bank really depends on how well you'll do against Rook. Since he's usually dedicated to a mono-purple strategy you really have to manipulate the bank chips to deal with him. I usually play a bit more defensively then normally to deal with the inevitable four gem coming to me. It is frustrating how easily he can build up, but if you can survive the first wave your superior deck usually wins in the end.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Countblanc posted:

Man, how is there still no info on Yomi 2.0 or whatever? I want to give you money, Sirlin, but I want it to be for a product I can shuffle manually.

He's gonna kickstart it at some point...but not soon. He told someone on his forums the other day not to expect Yomi 2 before Christmas. End of the day I like this Blizzard-esque "it's done when it's done" attitude towards releases. Hopefully means everything will be well-tested once we get it.

As for PS Rook, again the thing that bugs me is he doesn't just get a quick 4, or 2 quick 4s, that you can weather. He gets them while also doing decently to build cash (no-cost Combine, big-gem-to-hand chip improvement) so he has a stronger late-game threat than Jaina. I've seen Rooks buy a 3-gem first cycle and blend economics with crashing very well and seize DCGs while maintaining threat all too easily. He also gets econ boosts in the Lum sense, because Strength of the Earth rockets up his pile size for draw bonuses. He's quite a package. A great choice for new players, and I have to admit that my frustration is probably more rooted in that than anything really logical. He's not hard to play, which means he beats the tricky characters I like if I'm not on my game, and sometimes dammit I am just not on my game aaarrggh stop crashing me.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Sirlin just released his Kickstarter for Pandante, a weird semi-casual semi-competitive betting game that sounds pretty neat!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sirlin/pandante

The bad news is that Sirlin is absolutely dreadful at selling his own product, in my opinion. He's really awkward on camera and makes it sound much nerdier than I think the game would be in actual play.

The good news is that Rodney Smith from WatchItPlayed was kind enough to put up a video detailing the game, and he does a much better job making you actually want it, so watch this instead of Sirlin's video at the top:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2m9HutQUT8&t=700s

Also his $5,000 tier reward is laughably awful, especially since the 1k one is pretty neat.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Countblanc posted:

Sirlin just released his Kickstarter for Pandante, a weird semi-casual semi-competitive betting game that sounds pretty neat!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sirlin/pandante

The bad news is that Sirlin is absolutely dreadful at selling his own product, in my opinion. He's really awkward on camera and makes it sound much nerdier than I think the game would be in actual play.

The good news is that Rodney Smith from WatchItPlayed was kind enough to put up a video detailing the game, and he does a much better job making you actually want it, so watch this instead of Sirlin's video at the top:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2m9HutQUT8&t=700s

Also his $5,000 tier reward is laughably awful, especially since the 1k one is pretty neat.

I actually have a beta copy of this from the expo he held. It's pretty fun once you get your head around the bluffing mechanics.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It looks super fun, but I'm in genuine disbelief he isn't offering a print'n'play version for anyone who donates $35+. I mean, he has the full game of Yomi available in PnP, it seems like a no brainer, especially with this not being formally released for another 5 months or so.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
So, I actually got someone to split Yomi v1 with me at my local gaming group. Hooray! However, I haven't played v1 since it was in print-and-play beta many years ago, and I'm so used to playing v2's system that I'm considering just teaching it with those rules. Would that break it in any obvious way? I mean, I know the changes were generally put in to help equalize balance a bit, but those don't exist in a vacuum and there's other things like individual card changes to consider as well so I'm not sure how well it'd work.

Speaking of card changes, is there a good change log showing all this stuff?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm fairly sure the hand limit and normal draw rules kind of hose grapplers and Setsuki: Grapplers have a hard time countering the ensuing normal attack spam, and Setsuki because she will have much more trouble dumping her hand. Meanwhile, Jaina and Arg get powered up because they can now spam normals with impunity: Jaina because her reds cause chip damage and recur, Arg because his normals are sick fast and Hex keeps dealing damage.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't think the balance would be ruined, just thrown off a bit and probably left within acceptable limits. Like Lum, as I noted in the OP, takes a real hit due to hand limit because he can't turtle and use Poker auto-damage so easily, but he'll cope - and hey, at least that makes his match against Rook fairer even though he still Rolling Pandas all day. Siivola notes the effect on grapplers; I think if you just allow one teensy patch (tell everyone Rook and Midori have "Defense Mastery" per v2) you can otherwise play v1 cards as written under v2 rules and you'll get by. I mean, I think Rook and Jaina are the only ones who got altered in more than a couple places, and Jaina's the only one who is really and truly different now.

Or maybe print out all the changed character ID cards and leave the rest be?

I believe the official forum has a changelog. Next time I trawl the pit I'll look for it.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Countblanc posted:

It looks super fun, but I'm in genuine disbelief he isn't offering a print'n'play version for anyone who donates $35+. I mean, he has the full game of Yomi available in PnP, it seems like a no brainer, especially with this not being formally released for another 5 months or so.

Looks like he has a print and play version up for sale now. $8 :v:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SuperKlaus posted:

I believe the official forum has a changelog. Next time I trawl the pit I'll look for it.

Thanks, I'd definitely appreciate it!

I brought Yomi to my local group on Friday, and the handful of people who played it enjoyed it, but it was something of a hard sell since it feels like such a random game when you first start playing or watching people play without knowing anything about it. So to drum up some more interest, I'm hosting a tournament this week and putting up some cash out of my pocket to encourage people to play - $10 to the winner, and $5 to 2nd and 3rd (I'm considering changing that to 500 Sirlin Funbux to encourage people to play online but I'll probably wait for next week to do that). Here's hoping it goes well!

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
OK, here's details on the changes to Yomi. My notes in the OP got it all but here's nitty gritty...

YOMI 2 CHANGELOG

SYSTEM RULES
"Normal Draw:" If you play a normal (2-10) attack card and you win or get blocked, draw a card.
Hand Caps: Must discard down to 12 cards if you have more at end of turn. Sorry Lum.
Life Caps: Can't gain life above your starting amount. Sorry DeGrey.
Double KD: If you're both KD, cancel both KDs.

GRAVE
Innate - Knowing the Opponent: only get a Q if you win combat with the card. Otherwise, draw a card.
10 - Mental Toughness: must also discard a face card.

JAINA
Innate - Burning Vigor: if you attack, you may return any combo cards to your hand OTHER than Qs and As for 3 life per. If your life is 35 or less, you also may return Qs and As, but for 4 life per.
All Red color Normal Attacks: inflict (Card Rank - 1) block damage, not 3.
7 - Unstable Power: :siren: VERY DIFFERENT :siren: Play during draw phase. A KD opponent stands up. You may not play As this turn. If you play an attack in combat, you may rotate it after reveal. If you hit the opponent, search for 2 As. Otherwise take 7 damage.
10 - Smoldering Embers: Does 4 damage now, but goes to bottom of deck, not your hand.
J - Charged Shot: It's a 2 combo point Starter now, speed is 4.6.

MIDORI
Innate - Aspect of the Dragon: Special and Super dodges (on faces and As) can dodge your dragon attacks now! But whenever you win with a block, you may fetch a non-Joker card from discard instead of drawing an extra card.
Innate - Defense Mastery: NEW! Opponents don't draw when you block their normal attacks.
K - Talon Swoop: Speed is 1.8.

SETSUKI
10 - Smoke Bomb: Can't counter Innates any more.

ROOK
Innate - Defense Mastery: NEW! Opponents don't draw when you block their normal attacks.
3 - Entangling Vines: :siren: VERY DIFFERENT :siren: When you block an attack, avoid block damage, knock down the attacker, deal 5 damage, and enjoy all of your attacks and throws being 3 speed faster next turn, minimum 1.0. Still doesn't draw or return to hand like regular blocks though - now not even if countered!
5 - Stone Wall: Also won't return to hand when countered :(
K - Windmill Crusher: Beats normal attacks of speed 5.0 or faster but you still get damaged by the normal.

DEGREY
Innate - Moral High Ground: Bonus damage applies to As as well as face cards.

GEIGER
Innate - Time Stop: Besides the throw, the opponent can't trigger innate abilities off of blocking. Eat it, Grave!

VALERIE
7 - Bold Strokes: This ability no longer exists.
10 - Burst of Speed: Cannot lower speed below 1.0.
K - Flying Rainbow Stroke: Can only be blocked by a block of the same color (red or black).

LUM
Q - Rolling Panda: Doesn't do any block damage.
A - Blackjack: You may no longer choose to put the cards in your hand when your result is under 21, but you still put them in hand and deal damage if you hit 21 exactly.

ARGAGARG
7 - Protective Ward: The enemy's attack or throw is an Ender that cannot be pumped.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 19, 2013

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Anyone interested in playing tonight?

e: Also everyone should watch Thelo vs Juushichi (first game on the stream) and friiik vs Raziak (starts @ 41:30) from last week's tournament, amazing sets with hilarious games

http://www.twitch.tv/sirlingames/b/474499292

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 31, 2013

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

SuperKlaus posted:

YOMI 2 CHANGELOG
Hand Caps: Must discard down to 12 cards if you have more at end of turn. Sorry Lum.

LUM
Q - Rolling Panda: Doesn't do any block damage.
A - Blackjack: You may no longer choose to put the cards in your hand when your result is under 21, but you still put them in hand and deal damage if you hit 21 exactly.

Someone call the SPCA on David Sirlin, please, he's murdering my panda :smith:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Archenteron posted:

Someone call the SPCA on David Sirlin, please, he's murdering my panda :smith:

I played in an informal tournament two weeks ago and since I was really the only person who knew the game I picked Lum (a character I'd literally never examined or played as) as a handicap and got second by slamming those Queens. Strong rear end bear.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Countblanc posted:

I played in an informal tournament two weeks ago and since I was really the only person who knew the game I picked Lum (a character I'd literally never examined or played as) as a handicap and got second by slamming those Queens. Strong rear end bear.

Admittedly he can Roll the Dice off of chip damage, but taking that damage off his one truly fast move seems kinda dickish. (Never not be JQ(Q)ing into Roll the Dice into great odds to get all three cards back to do it again later)

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
You guys tried new, competent Yomibot? It's a much more entertaining distraction than it used to be. I've actually only got like 60% winrate on it so far...:derp: But I scored a perfect on it, so, superiority re-established.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Got to play at my club a bit more today, but it was against the most dreadfully slow player I've ever seen. Dude must have regularly taken 3-5 minutes to make plays. Seriously ruins the game.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 2, 2013

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ughhh I know I've run into that. It's like, hey, I appreciate analysis and thought, you know, you aren't treating this as literal RPS, but...what the heck are you even still thinking about? Your grocery list?

Who's your "main," Countblanc? I favor Setsuki but have had a lot of fun lately with Jaina, in Yomi. I also play Sets most of the time in PS.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I haven't played PS since first edition so I don't really have a main there (I liked Rook but I only played like 6-8 games total maybe).

As for Yomi, in v1 I like Rook, Grave, and DeGrey; I like to get my damage in big chunks, I don't have the patience to worry about bursts and straights because I'm a scrub who loves big numbers. Geiger is cool too but my big number fetish comes out too often and I try for stupid-risky Time Spiral combos instead of just playing safe.

I haven't played much with v2, I've just been piddling around against yomibot with whatever free character that's available at a time or whoever I feel like blowing my free daily 20-40 purple coins on since I don't really have anyone to play with regularly so the $9/mo is a hard pill to swallow.

Rook looks solid in v2 but I haven't gotten to play him yet, I can't imagine why I wouldn't like him though. Troq is eh, I like his Q and being able to just pound out 18-21 damage off any random throw is obviously My poo poo, but I don't feel like his normals are threatening enough without a Rock Armor or Entangling Vines analogue to make your opponent block unless they're expecting the aforementioned Q, which makes setting up a Beast Unleashed feel much more frustrating than Checkmate Buster, even with the 9/10 Dodges. Onimaru is another character I really expected to love, but his bizarre Guard Crush mixup game isn't as enchanting as I expected it to be. At least he has a good reversal.

I love what I've seen of Zane though, I'm really surprised that I like him as much as I do. He feels like Abel in SF4 in a lot of ways - good, repeatable pressure with his normals that really scare your opponent into blocking/dodging, damaging combos, and potent mix-ups off a knockdown. I'd probably main him, DeGrey, and Rook if/when I got an account.

e: Gloria is kinda sick too, I'm shocked since she's basically the antithesis of everything I generally love in a character. Her engine is really satisfying.

If you want to play sometime add me on steam http://steamcommunity.com/id/countblanc

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 4, 2013

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
In other Yomi v2 news, BBB just got his new card art!

http://www.fantasystrike.com/forums/index.php?threads/big-brass-boots-bbbs-new-yomi-card-art.8714/

I actually don't like most of it other than his K, unfortunately. I'm really disappointed they didn't illustrate Junkshot for the Q, that seems like a much more defining move for him, but I guess it's less wacky break dancing robot or something. That J in particular really looks off in his "face."

Quince also got his art last week, and it's notably better:

http://www.fantasystrike.com/forums/index.php?threads/the-moment-of-truth-quinces-new-yomi-card-art.8686/

The Ace is cool as hell, but the rest is pretty neat too. Truth Geyser is wonderful, it's just like "here's a beam of Truth coming out of the ground now, enjoy." Too bad I can't actually stand playing as Quince in the (admittedly limited) experience I have with him. Hopefully Zane's art comes out soon, though I can't imagine how they'll illustrate MAXIMUM ANARCHY. I'm hoping his Q just looks like Urien's shoulder tackle in 3S.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Countblanc posted:

In other Yomi v2 news, BBB just got his new card art!

http://www.fantasystrike.com/forums/index.php?threads/big-brass-boots-bbbs-new-yomi-card-art.8714/

I actually don't like most of it other than his K, unfortunately. I'm really disappointed they didn't illustrate Junkshot for the Q, that seems like a much more defining move for him, but I guess it's less wacky break dancing robot or something. That J in particular really looks off in his "face."

Quince also got his art last week, and it's notably better:

http://www.fantasystrike.com/forums/index.php?threads/the-moment-of-truth-quinces-new-yomi-card-art.8686/

The Ace is cool as hell, but the rest is pretty neat too. Truth Geyser is wonderful, it's just like "here's a beam of Truth coming out of the ground now, enjoy." Too bad I can't actually stand playing as Quince in the (admittedly limited) experience I have with him. Hopefully Zane's art comes out soon, though I can't imagine how they'll illustrate MAXIMUM ANARCHY. I'm hoping his Q just looks like Urien's shoulder tackle in 3S.

I agree. BBB just looks boring. His features are tiny in the J and Q. They also look slightly unfinished compared to the A and K. A lot of the detail is missing, which makes the art look way more interesting.

Quince looks good though, no complaints on that end.

I should get more into Yomi, I've barely played it compared to Puzzle Strike. Unfortunately the Puzzle Strike league I helped formed drifted apart, and it's tough to find people to regularly play with not online.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah not too thrilled with BBB's artwork either...but I still like it over Quince just because I hate Quince. I hate playing him (all 3 Fantasy Strike games), I hate playing against him (all 3 FS games), and I hate the way he looks (yep). Setsuki has gotta be my favorite across the games, and Quince has gotta be my bottom choice.

Countblanc what do you mean add you on Steam? Does Steam interact with FS.com somehow? I know, I know, I'm like the one goon who doesn't know about Steam. FS.com and other online boardgame services are like all the internet gaming I do.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Chekans 3 16 posted:

I should get more into Yomi, I've barely played it compared to Puzzle Strike. Unfortunately the Puzzle Strike league I helped formed drifted apart, and it's tough to find people to regularly play with not online.

Yeah, I struggle to get people hooked on Yomi offline. I have a friend or two that will humor me, but after losing 2-3 games they're done for a week or two. Fortunately, a few of my e-friends are starting to get into both it and PS, so that's good!

SuperKlaus posted:

Countblanc what do you mean add you on Steam? Does Steam interact with FS.com somehow? I know, I know, I'm like the one goon who doesn't know about Steam. FS.com and other online boardgame services are like all the internet gaming I do.

It doesn't interact with Steam, no, but Steam has sort of be come the de facto gaming chat service for a lot of people. It's a lot easier to load up your friend list and see who is online and then ask them if they want to play than it is to PM someone on a forum and hope they get the message and respond quickly. I should be around tonight if anyone wants to play or laugh at the tournament matches in Mumble, that's always fun/

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Chip Tips: Chip Damage

Puzzle Strike, 3rd Edition

Today I have time and desire to pontificate on Chip Damage. First, anyone who is still playing Puzzle Strike 2nd Edition knows this chip as Combo Practice - it functions identically as far as I can recall, but now has a peppier, slightly cheeky theme-appropriate name. I like it!

What are its traits? Obviously, it's a red-bannered "fist" attack chip. At 3 cost it is not hard to purchase reliably with only starting-game money. It gives a red arrow - that's the first interesting thing. Any red chip with a red arrow can of course chain into more copies of itself, multiplying the effect. This makes Chip Damage one of those choice pairings with Hundred Fist Frenzy. It also makes Chip Damage excellent at ruining your enemy's plans when doubled up and truly cruel when tripled - if you don't just ding their hand but completely annihilate it (quite possible when an opponent's low pile gives him only five- or six-chip hands, you see), you gain absolute certainty that they won't screw you on their turn AND the pleasant bonus of forcing them into purchasing a wound chip that hurts long-term. I'd generally rather chain Chip Damages than Sneak Attacks for that reason and one more: the top-bag clause.

This is unique to Chip Damage in puzzle-chip land. Nothing else lets you get ahead of the cycling game like that. Its use is fairly straightforward when independent. Just find something potent you used last turn, like a big ol' money gem or your signature character chip, and load it up to fire again quick. Don't forget when behaving this way that looking in your bag to gauge upcoming draws is legit - that could strongly inform which chip you want to recur to build the best purchase / combo. But why work around what's coming from bag when you can just construct the perfect combo Frankenstein-style? When you drop two or three Chip Damages in a row, you can pluck a whole string of pearls from your discard and make your next turn fall together precisely the way you'd like.

BUT WAIT! Why build Frankenstein for next turn when you can release him now? If you want Chip Damage to get straight bananas, you pair it with a draw effect. Any slick Gloria player knows this one. Your top-bagged chip is so placed immediately, so if you continue your combo with a draw effect, you obtain that chip for immediate use. Conveniently, Chip Damage has afforded you a red arrow, so if that reanimated chip is red (read: Ouch!) you're ready to rock. Clearly this takes the most setup, requiring a fork and something that draws, but it can really pay off. Imagine Gem Essence/Recklessness into Chip Damage to Chip Damage into Chip Damage into Draw Three into Combine + Combine + Crash - when you just had just hit 'em with that Combine + Combine + Crash last turn. Would be nice! For the combo-averse, Chip Damage's cousin Pick Your Poison makes a killer partner.

Now, Chip Damage is red, so are there any blue shield-icon chips that stop it cold? None in particular, no. You should be careful around "punishment" blues like Really Annoying, but not moreso than when using any other red chip. Self-Improvement is not as bad as it looks. They spend Self-Improvement and 1/2 chips to draw 3 chips - maybe they cycle, maybe they net a chip, maybe they just tread water. No biggie. I would actually call Chip Damage very nice against "immunity" blues because the top-bag clause will fire regardless of immunity. The couple of other red puzzle chips that also do something even when shielded against don't offer bonuses as nice as the top-bag.

This chip is better for VALERIE than anyone else. Valerie can generate a fork with Three Colors, play Chip Damage, play Chromatic Orb or Creative Thoughts to draw the recurred chip, and use that recurred chip almost no matter its banner color. She can be reanimating powerful discards turn 3. She should never have an issue generating the 3 buy to obtain it. She is meant to be a colorful combo queen and the chip formerly known as Combo Practice is her Prince (yuk yuk). Bonus for Valerie: maybe Chip Damage will get the enemy's Crash and her imminent Chromatic Orb will go un-countered so she can try her hand at rushing.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 17, 2013

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I've been using Zane in PS recently, and I think Chip Damage works really well for him as well. It isn't as blatantly useful, but Maximum Anarchy provides the necessary fork to make it shine, and if you can manage to play it earlier in the turn somehow you can draw whatever chips you placed on top of your bag with MA!

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

SuperKlaus posted:

Chip Tips: Chip Damage

Actually there's a small change between the two versions, 3rd edition adds "may" to the effect. :goonsay:

It made chaining a lot of them a lot better if you didn't want to top bag useless chips.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Countblanc posted:

I've been using Zane in PS recently, and I think Chip Damage works really well for him as well. It isn't as blatantly useful, but Maximum Anarchy provides the necessary fork to make it shine, and if you can manage to play it earlier in the turn somehow you can draw whatever chips you placed on top of your bag with MA!

True enough - chipping away the enemy's hand size can be quite good for Zane so MA becomes a sort of free mulligan for you and no hope of usefulness for them! Keep them from having any use for the arrow storm you handed them. However it won't play particularly nice with your own MA unless you obtain and use some other fork first, as you note.

Scooping you here and stealing the info you put in the general games thread: http://sirlin.dphoto.com/#/album/8225fn

Check it out y'all, it's G. Panda the new Yomi character. Looks like double-thick mind games from him, with his constant bluffing about what he chose to play. Cool, cool. Personally, I think it would be hilarious if he were added to FS.com, but as a "secret character" you had to enter a short code to use. Like how there was a period once where you could tap into the Shadows characters but you had to press shift+B or some crap I don't recall.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

SuperKlaus posted:

True enough - chipping away the enemy's hand size can be quite good for Zane so MA becomes a sort of free mulligan for you and no hope of usefulness for them! Keep them from having any use for the arrow storm you handed them. However it won't play particularly nice with your own MA unless you obtain and use some other fork first, as you note.

Scooping you here and stealing the info you put in the general games thread: http://sirlin.dphoto.com/#/album/8225fn

Check it out y'all, it's G. Panda the new Yomi character. Looks like double-thick mind games from him, with his constant bluffing about what he chose to play. Cool, cool. Personally, I think it would be hilarious if he were added to FS.com, but as a "secret character" you had to enter a short code to use. Like how there was a period once where you could tap into the Shadows characters but you had to press shift+B or some crap I don't recall.

It looks like Lum's base moveset and face cards, Great Pandamonium was weakened down to a max of 3 As instead of 4, and Blackjack Dodge became an AA 2 point 21 damage knockdown Ender, which is very nice. The new set of mindgames and panda coins looks interesting, but Lum's already bad knockdown game has become even worse in his G. Panda incarnation, only getting KDs off of pitching a 2 (a strong defensive card to begin with) and winning the bluffgame, or from the AA. Being able to recur his face cards without having to roll the dice by just flashing a 10 and pitching it or a panda coin seems nice for landing JQQ or King chains even more reliably. The backblast from a failed Any Challenge bluff is a bit strong, but if I'm reading it correctly, you can claim your facedown 2D is a 10T, which I guess works since he has the entire moveset reference card. I guess I'd have to see him in action to figure out how powerful he really is. The 6 gamble seems like a hilarious way to save your rear end once cards are revealed.

e: Oh my god the King can be pumped four time you can bluff a King then dump four real ones to make a 5 king attack

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 21, 2013

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
The Pandante kickstarter has relaunched!

Sirlin posted:

• The deluxe version with chips is way cheaper than before.
  • The standard version is $5 off MSRP on Kickstarter.
  • There’s also a travel version.
There are some bonus cards that are exclusive to Kickstarter backers now in the stretch goals. And most notably, there are stretch goals to get the Panda and G.Panda Yomi decks FREE (with the deluxe set). It’s actually unreasonably generous by usual standards given how low the deluxe set is now and how much those Yomi decks cost ($30 last time).

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
First: G. Panda facedown-bluffing a K and then pumping it with four Ks is nothing short of fantastic.

Second: Troq's Yomi art is public! I like it alright, not feeling committal. Anyway though, I think I'd like to start trying to refine the OP guides to the Shadows characters in Yomi. They've been available for some time and their mechanics seem to be settling pretty well. So, let's start with Troq!

Help me here. What is Yomi Troq about? How does he work? I'm noticing
A) he's certainly a better grappler than Midori, insofar as he has throws on 2-5 but a .0 subspeed,
B) perhaps he could be read as better (at throws) than Rook due to that 2-5 throw set plus a clone of Rook's mighty K?
C) Beast Unleashed offers the same best-in-game efficiency as True Power of Storms but for the blocking prerequisite, so I'd say it's at least as intimidating as Checkmate Buster
D) what do you do with War Stomp? KD at will says some kind of mixup game - War Stomp into a J?

In short, what highlights do I hit in his OP blurb? "Excellent thrower with a top-notch super move, but lacks Rook's advanced defenses and new-Midori's card recursion?"

edit for unrelated: holy crap Zane has no odd blocks??? Wow, I gotta remember that when I knock him down...might add that to the OP on him too, though it's a bit esoteric.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 5, 2013

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

I haven't played on Fantasystrike in ages, so I go and quickmatch a game of Yomi. Find out that they've added the beta characters, there's now only 1 free character/day instead of two (despite doubling the cast of characters), it costs gold per match instead of per character to unlock poo poo (So there's no permanent character unlock, just bundles of gold or the monthly unlock everything fee), you get one free match per day of whatever character you want (A second if you win), Bal-Bas-Beta's ranged mechanic is utter horseshit, and they removed block damage on Lum's Q.

A pile of tiny things on a website that have made me irrationally angry and makes me want to sell my physical copies of Yomi and Puzzle Strike. gently caress you, David Sirlin. I hope the guy who made En Garde sues your smug moneygrubbing elitist rear end into the ground for stealing his entire goddamned game for Flash Duel. :rant:

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Archenteron posted:

I haven't played on Fantasystrike in ages, so I go and quickmatch a game of Yomi. Find out that they've added the beta characters, there's now only 1 free character/day instead of two (despite doubling the cast of characters), it costs gold per match instead of per character to unlock poo poo (So there's no permanent character unlock, just bundles of gold or the monthly unlock everything fee), you get one free match per day of whatever character you want (A second if you win), Bal-Bas-Beta's ranged mechanic is utter horseshit, and they removed block damage on Lum's Q.

A pile of tiny things on a website that have made me irrationally angry and makes me want to sell my physical copies of Yomi and Puzzle Strike. gently caress you, David Sirlin. I hope the guy who made En Garde sues your smug moneygrubbing elitist rear end into the ground for stealing his entire goddamned game for Flash Duel. :rant:

I wonder if the character I payed to unlock is still permanently unlocked or not. If not that's probably it for me playing online there. No way I'm paying for a sub or bundles of gold.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It is. I can still hop on FS.com and play with Midori all I want.

Also, I'm pretty sure any possible shitstorms involving Knizia have already passed, because Flash Duel is old enough and also because you can't own the rules to a game.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah I have infinite Puzzle Strike Setsuki for backing the Kickstarter a while ago. Makes me wish I'd worked to get lasting character unlocks while those were still a thing. Oh well. I can see Sirlin's vision here. Obviously, he means for it to be like the old days at the arcade. Pop in a quarter - I believe it costs 10 cents to get 10 gold tokens to play 1 match on FS.com, so a dime? - and go to it. However, I do not think that the pay-per-play model holds up these days. I'm hearing that BattleCON's app makes you pay too but has a more typical system where you buy the character and he's yours, enough said.

I'm actually pretty content with Sirlin's system overall at the moment. Perhaps because I enjoy being most of the cast in Yomi / PS, so most days the free character sates my appetite. Typically I'll do a 2 of 3 vs the bots using whoever is free and then take the 20 free daily tokens to do another 2 of 3, but using a character I want to train up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Online Fantasy Strike, eh? I just made this:

https://pandante.neocities.org

Quoting myself from the Fantasy Strike forums:

Xom posted:

I'm talking to a major streamer who might be willing to give us a little air time tomorrow, so it would be nice if people tried to play the poo poo out of this TODAY so we can catch any showstopping bugs.

edit: I have barely slept for days and my landlady is like wtf is going on with you so I'm gonna crash now

• Locked thread