Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Combine it with high ranks in shield for best results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I was lucky enough to find the last copy of DQ9 in my country and have started playing it. Seeing how we're in the 21st century and WEP is a thing of the past, and besides the rumors of the servers shutting down, will I lock myself out of any content if I don't go online, other than some cameos and the online shop? Will I still be able to kit my guys out in ridiculous gear and fight absurdly powerful postgame bosses?

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

It doesn't seem like Square-Enix has any interest in localizing it and I'm feeling doubtful that Nintendo will pick up their slack like they did with DQVI.

This is pretty depressing, and very puzzling. It looks like a great game and a no-brainer to me. I just don't get the logic with that one.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Calaveron posted:

I was lucky enough to find the last copy of DQ9 in my country and have started playing it. Seeing how we're in the 21st century and WEP is a thing of the past, and besides the rumors of the servers shutting down, will I lock myself out of any content if I don't go online, other than some cameos and the online shop? Will I still be able to kit my guys out in ridiculous gear and fight absurdly powerful postgame bosses?

The online shop really only made it easier to get the ridiculous gear, when they had sales of end-game weapons or all the metal slime items or whatever. You'll still be able to do everything the game normally offers.

The insanely powerful gear is obtained, normally, in high-level, endgame random dungeons in certain chests near the bottom at 1% drop rates. There are ways to manipulate the RNG, though.

After that, you have to kill legacy bosses to get them to drop certain items that you combine with the alchemy pot to make even more powerful versions of your gear.

Then you have to kill the bosses again to get three of the special item to then go back to the alchemy pot to have a random chance of getting the MOST powerful version of the gear... otherwise you get the second-most powerful version, at which point you can use a special item to turn it into the basic version and go back to grinding.

You will miss out on some of the legacy bosses, as their maps come from DLC quests... Though if you can get online even once, supposedly you can still get the quests and guest according to a thread on GameFAQs.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Crazy ways to manipulate the RNG that involve a hard shutdown of the DS, logging your Magical Mending stat and the amounts you cure for into a table, then following the table to guarantee a drop.

It works, but it's weird as hell.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Leofish posted:

The online shop really only made it easier to get the ridiculous gear, when they had sales of end-game weapons or all the metal slime items or whatever. You'll still be able to do everything the game normally offers.

The insanely powerful gear is obtained, normally, in high-level, endgame random dungeons in certain chests near the bottom at 1% drop rates. There are ways to manipulate the RNG, though.

After that, you have to kill legacy bosses to get them to drop certain items that you combine with the alchemy pot to make even more powerful versions of your gear.

Then you have to kill the bosses again to get three of the special item to then go back to the alchemy pot to have a random chance of getting the MOST powerful version of the gear... otherwise you get the second-most powerful version, at which point you can use a special item to turn it into the basic version and go back to grinding.

You will miss out on some of the legacy bosses, as their maps come from DLC quests... Though if you can get online even once, supposedly you can still get the quests and guest according to a thread on GameFAQs.

I'm not gonna sperg that hard but I can still access the treasure maps and some of the legacy bosses, right?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Captain Mog posted:

This is pretty depressing, and very puzzling. It looks like a great game and a no-brainer to me. I just don't get the logic with that one.

DQVII has an enormous script, and Nintendo doesn't usually announce releases very far in advance. I wouldn't give up hope yet.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I'm not gonna sperg that hard but I can still access the treasure maps and some of the legacy bosses, right?

99% of treasure maps are obtained by beating treasure map dungeons. You're guaranteed one at the end of every normal dungeon run, so yes, that won't be a problem. You get your first one from an obvious quest. It's hard to miss. After that you're golden.

And you will be able to fight a good number of the legacy bosses. One comes from a quest, and he drops another map, which will lead to the next one who drops another map, etc. That trail runs cold eventually, but another map can be obtained rarely from a special grotto boss, and that starts another trail of beat the boss, get a map to the next one.

There are a handful that I'm pretty sure are DLC only, though.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Crazy ways to manipulate the RNG that involve a hard shutdown of the DS, logging your Magical Mending stat and the amounts you cure for into a table, then following the table to guarantee a drop.

Yeah, it's a bit odd. It kind of reminds me of the trick in Pokemon Platinum to guarantee a shiny egg that involves tapping the touch screen a certain insane number of times and hopping on your bike or something.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Now I have flashbacks to Final Fantasy XII and determining what model of PS2 you have, consulting a chart, using a trick with Immobilize to dump your other two party members, and then starting a chain of punching yourself/casting Cure to manipulate the RNG for a guaranteed item from a chest.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Twelve by Pies posted:

Now I have flashbacks to Final Fantasy XII and determining what model of PS2 you have, consulting a chart, using a trick with Immobilize to dump your other two party members, and then starting a chain of punching yourself/casting Cure to manipulate the RNG for a guaranteed item from a chest.

I am so glad I made the executive decision to not care about chests in that game. Great game, aside from that one minor misstep.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I am so glad I made the executive decision to not care about chests in that game. Great game, aside from that one minor misstep.

The thing about the handful of secret chests to never open in order to make it easier to get the most powerful spear was dumb. I decided to forget the spear and just play. I never did finish FFXII.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Calaveron posted:

The good boss drops are a 2% drop. Gaming the system via the Hoimi table takes 1-2 minutes.

As much as the shop closing down sucks, the important thing is that if you go to a convention and find people doing the visit stuff that you make sure to get the locker maps, or the power leveling one at the least. Having a map where one floor's nothing but Metal King spawns (they can have non-metal king allies in fights) is huge. It can save dozens (if not hundreds) of hours of grinding if you're looking to max out classes on your characters.

Leofish posted:

Yeah, it's a bit odd. It kind of reminds me of the trick in Pokemon Platinum to guarantee a shiny egg that involves tapping the touch screen a certain insane number of times and hopping on your bike or something.

:aaaaa: I never did get around to beating Platinum, and now if I play it again I'll be doing this too much (if it actually works) to do so.

e: quick google search doesn't give much but some vague posts and a dead link to some other site?

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 17, 2013

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

As much as the shop closing down sucks, the important thing is that if you go to a convention and find people doing the visit stuff that you make sure to get the locker maps, or the power leveling one at the least. Having a map where one floor's nothing but Metal King spawns (they can have non-metal king allies in fights) is huge. It can save dozens (if not hundreds) of hours of grinding if you're looking to max out classes on your characters.

If you can share this over wi-fi I'll give it to everyone. It's a lot of fun and really does cut down on the grind. (Then you decide you need to max out every skill and keep the grind alive, but that's better than being forced to.)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I could be wrong but I think the DQ9 DLC quests can be unlocked via Action Replay or Gameshark or whatever alternative you have.

Talen_Soti
Mar 30, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I could be wrong but I think the DQ9 DLC quests can be unlocked via Action Replay or Gameshark or whatever alternative you have.

yes they can. I tried this during my aborted DQ9 lets play and it unlocked all the side quests. The quests are on the game card, they just need to have the flag enabled to be accessible. If you want the code I can dig it up for you

SlimeSanction
Oct 21, 2008
Can anyone who has beaten the 3ds DQ VII help me out? I'm at the shrine in Coastal and can't figure out what to do at the top. I try to use the magic dust item but nothing happens. Is there something else I'm supposed to do?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I've finally reached the post-game content on DQ9. The inn upgrading stuff is some total bullshit, I will never meet 30 people who have this game in tag mode in my lifetime to complete the inn.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

If you can share this over wi-fi I'll give it to everyone. It's a lot of fun and really does cut down on the grind. (Then you decide you need to max out every skill and keep the grind alive, but that's better than being forced to.)

It's only shared by being physically near someone while in the share mode, which makes a lot of sense for the target market of Japan but not so much for everywhere else. PAX Prime having an area for DQ9 a few years back was handy though. You could walk around and have your max tags after a few minutes, re-enter the tag mode, and repeat. After awhile you'd risk getting the same people again because the game's memory of past meetings is finite.

I think my counter for players met is in the 150-200 range. Outside of a convention I imagine tags will be pretty rare even if you're passing by fairly active areas.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

SlimeSanction posted:

Can anyone who has beaten the 3ds DQ VII help me out? I'm at the shrine in Coastal and can't figure out what to do at the top. I try to use the magic dust item but nothing happens. Is there something else I'm supposed to do?

You're obviously doing this in Japanese, right? There's no hacked translation, and no announcement of an English official translation yet, is there?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

A got halfway through writing an answer to SlimeSanction's question before realizing it was over a month ago. :eng99:

BadAstronaut posted:

You're obviously doing this in Japanese, right? There's no hacked translation, and no announcement of an English official translation yet, is there?

Yeah. Last I heard it wasn't going to be localized unless Nintendo picked up the tab. Can't remember where I heard that mind you, so...

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
You guys REALLY wanted to play Dragon Quest 8 on your phone... right?

Of course this gets to happen, but we can't get a drat localization of 7 on 3DS.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
DQ 8 took me at least 60 hours, I can't believe someone could actually finish that on an iOS device without wanting to tear their own arms off. Who keeps buying this poo poo?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

To be honest, the only way I'd ever be able to finish DQ8 would be if I had it on my phone.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

DQ8 was the only reason I bought a PS2. This was in 2012. But I never got round to playing it before I moved, so I gave the PS2 away, kept DQ8 and intend to play it on my PC. Even though I could possible play it on my Nexus 7, I'd probably still much rather play that kicking back with an Xbox 360 controller...

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I wish that all of these remakes Square Enix are making for iOS would actually come to the 3DS and Vita. Final Fantasy V, The World Ends With You, and Dragon Quest VIII are all fantastic games, but I don't want to play them on a phone.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

So do I, but the potential userbases, cost of distribution blah blah means we'll see more iOS (and maaaybe Android) releases way before we see 3DS/Vita outings.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

SereneCrimson posted:

You guys REALLY wanted to play Dragon Quest 8 on your phone... right?

Of course this gets to happen, but we can't get a drat localization of 7 on 3DS.

I would be super interested in this if Square Enix's phone track record wasn't so lovely. I only caught snippets of this game while my roommate played it in college. We left it running at a key moment during a dialog cutscene one time while we all went out for lunch, so this one dude just spent like 90 minutes engulfed in a giant energy blast :shobon:

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

That loving Sned posted:

I wish that all of these remakes Square Enix are making for iOS would actually come to the 3DS and Vita. Final Fantasy V, The World Ends With You, and Dragon Quest VIII are all fantastic games, but I don't want to play them on a phone.

The World Ends With You is actually a lot better on the phone, since your finger is better than a stylus and they changed the double-screen partner thing to be much better.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Whoa... awesome. This is a game I'd actually spend a little money to play on my phone, as I haven't been able to find it for PS2 (and I prefer handhelds lately anyway). Too bad it'll take time to come out on Android, then more time to come to the US.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I recently played though the SNES version of Dragon Quest III on my phone, and would love to play polished versions of the rest, especially VII.
That is, if they are polished versions...

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
There's also a Dragon Quest Monsters game coming to phones called Dragon Quest Monsters light. It's supposed to be super light on RPG elements.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:
I understand why it's happening, but I'm not a fan of Dragon Quest on phones. The games are too long and too involving to really be comfortable on a super-mobile platform like a cell phone. Tablets will be a little more interesting, since functionality-wise those are more in line with handheld consoles in that they're mainly used in the home. But then you have the issue of touchscreens versus controllers, which might be mooted if the ports support iOS controllers in iOS 7 and up.

This will be Big In Japan™, at least.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dragon Quest is the most populist RPG franchise, so it's unsurprising that they'd continue to target the platform with the most users who've expressed an interest in games but don't know from RPGs.

But, let's face it, there's no way any of this is getting localized.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Phones and IOS are the wave of the future.

I don't like it either, but that's just the way the video game industry is going for many of the major developers.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

Bongo Bill posted:

Well good news, you can access the app store of any region through iTunes, and pay in US dollars. You just can't do IAP as far as I know.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Goddamit Square-enix. Just give me DQ 1-3 for 3DS, then release 7&8 on PSN classics.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Arcaeris posted:

Well good news, you can access the app store of any region through iTunes, and pay in US dollars. You just can't do IAP as far as I know.

Good news for those who read Japanese, I guess.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Dragon Quest is the most populist RPG franchise, so it's unsurprising that they'd continue to target the platform with the most users who've expressed an interest in games but don't know from RPGs.

Most of those games are already localized though. We're probably not getting DQ1-3, but since Square's already localized 4-6 and 8 it's relatively little effort for them. 8 might not have the voice acting though.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

AlmightyBob posted:

Goddamit Square-enix. Just give me DQ 1-3 for 3DS, then release 7&8 on PSN classics.

I would honestly accept just DQ3 nicely translated. I own 8 and don't see how/why that could be improved.

And still holding out for DQ7 English translation at some point in life...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

BadAstronaut posted:

I would honestly accept just DQ3 nicely translated. I own 8 and don't see how/why that could be improved.

And still holding out for DQ7 English translation at some point in life...

PSN classics would just be a straight port. Not a remake.