Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kreeblah posted:

I have no idea how well my new phone would record something like that, but I can give it a go if I'm there. If that turns out crappy or something, then at the very least, I can take notes about what gets asked. And thanks for the PM. I'll have to read through that stuff after I'm done with the new Scott Lynch book (which just came out).

Thanks. Any idea what you're going to ask him?

I checked out a couple of signing reports from last week. The Mistborn video game has been pushed back to 2015, but the Mistborn TV rights just got sold, so that's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Tunicate posted:

EDIT: I just spammed half the thread in PMs. I hope this is acceptable - I heard apparently they look down on people begging publicly or something.

Any chance I could get one my way?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Argas posted:

Any chance I could get one my way?

No prob

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Thanks Tunicate! :)

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Democratic Pirate posted:

Rithmatist: I'm leaning towards the main character does have powers, based on the weird thing that happened in the chamber, but doesn't believe it yet so his lines don't work. I doubt kids who didn't get powers would not be able to talk about a weird chalkman character.

Pretty sure he got chosen but his mechanical coin thing scared off the chalk man, since they hate clockwork.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
I wonder what the stance would be on publicly posted codes which have been encrypted and require solving a puzzle to get access to.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Hey thanks!

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I just bought Warbreaker last night because it was the one Sanderson book I hadn't read yet and I gotta say, it's taking all of my willpower and more not to read the annotations for every chapter before I read the book. They are very, very interesting but at the same time they kind of spoil the chapter in question.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
This has probably been reported but there's a new GRRM & friends short story collection coming out, with Sanderson and goon favorite Jim Butcher as well:

It comes out December 3, I might have to pick this up.

Story list:

quote:

• “Some Desperado” by Joe Abercrombie – A Red Country story
• “Nora’s Song” by Cecelia Holland
• “Bombshells” by Jim Butcher – A Harry Dresden story
• “Wrestling Jesus” by Joe R. Lansdale
• “Neighbours” by Megan Lindholm (who also writes as Robin Hobb)
• “Shadows For Silence in the Forests of Hell” by Brandon Sanderson
• “A Queen in Exile” by Sharon Kay Penman
• “The Girl in the Mirror” by Lev Grossman – A Magicians story
• “Virgins” by Diana Gabaldon – An Outlander story

computer parts fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 8, 2013

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Tunicate posted:

Thanks. Any idea what you're going to ask him?

I checked out a couple of signing reports from last week. The Mistborn video game has been pushed back to 2015, but the Mistborn TV rights just got sold, so that's cool.

YES!!!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Doesn't necessarily mean that anything's going to get made, but hey, money in the bank. Brandon didn't say who it was, just that they were a fairly big tv company, and that he wouldn't have sold the rights if it weren't for the success of serialized things like Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones.

Apparently the option for Alcatraz movie rights paid Brandon more than all the books put together, even though the studio just held onto it for years and never did anything with it.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I'm talking with my friend who's reading Steelheart and I just realized why I like David so much. His 'super power' is that he has a complete set of Magic: The Gathering cards on all Epics in Newcago and the Reckoners deck.

Sanderson is such a nerd.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Yeah, getting optioned is pretty much free money, since it just means "we'd like the option of considering to make a movie/tv show with your property, but we might not ever do it. Please accept this money to reserve the rights for a few years". I think it was Stephen King that said he preferred options that never became a movie, because people always bitch about how bad the adaptations are and he just rakes in the cash.

Still, if Brandon has enough control over the rights that he's gotten to be a little discerning, maybe it'll actually amount to something halfway decent. Or we could get another The Dresden Files.

Edit: Honestly, I love all three Mistborn novels, but I'd rather see The Final Empire done as a single mini-series, full stop. I'm not sure how well the other two books would work out on the small screen and still keep up viewer interest without heavy alterations. The Final Empire would work well with the heist aspect and Vin's training, culminating in the tear down of the Lord Ruler. It's got the right number of main characters for a starring cast, is almost serialized for a week to week viewing with the balls and training happening in sequence, and doesn't have a lot of expensive on-location shooting. Well of Ascension? Hero of Ages? I love them, but no, please don't try to wrangle them onto the screen.

Mortanis fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 8, 2013

Yeroc2
Aug 13, 2003

"The glow is the combination of all your past lives, focusing their energy through your body."
Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

EDIT: I just spammed half the thread in PMs. I hope this is acceptable - I heard apparently they look down on people begging publicly or something.

If you're still handing this out, I'd love to get it.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.
Are we allowed to discuss the stories? Because holy balls. Good stuff.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Tunicate posted:

Ah, he's hitting Seattle exactly a week from now. Would it be too much to ask for you to record it, or at least write down any questions you ask him?

How do these usually work? They do questions, then signing at the end?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Cicero posted:

Basically. There's usually a Q&A, often a reading or two from something (sometimes something released, sometimes something unreleased), maybe a couple of personal stories, and then a signing at the end.

And God help you if you're towards the end of the line. I went to one a couple years ago that started at 7PM and ended up being something like the 5th to last person in line. I got out of there around 2AM.

I still need to think of some good questions, though. Is there anything anybody would be interested in?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cicero posted:

Well, order changes around, but at the beginning Brandon talks for a while, and there's a public Q&A, and a reading of some unpublished book (or books), and maybe another Q&A or something. Depends on time and venue.

After that's done, there's the signing. Brandon encourages fans to ask him questions in person while he's signing their books because he's a nice guy (and I suspect because signing for hours on end with no conversation but 'I really like your books' is probably a bit tedious). He used to write out random cosmere hints on request, but he doesn't do that anymore - it's all questions. For spoilers or undecided things, he might give you a RAFO, which stands for Read And Find Out, a phrase he inherited from Robert Jordan. Rarer is the PAFO, which is 'Go ask Peter Ahlstrom, he's the guy I hired to handle continuity and I can't recall this particular detail at the moment'.

From the signings I've been to, most authors tend to have the people who bought whatever book is being promoted from the store in the front of the queue, and each cycle through you get three or four books signed - so if you bring a collection of like, fifteen books, expect to go through the line a few times. Typically you don't technically need to buy anything, but it's polite.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think I'd wait longer than an hour to get a signature, I guess they don't really mean much to me. Meeting the guy would be more important to me.

What is the appeal in getting something signed anyway? Assuming you don't want it so it's worth more (which is just greed imo)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

bowmore posted:

I don't think I'd wait longer than an hour to get a signature, I guess they don't really mean much to me. Meeting the guy would be more important to me.

What is the appeal in getting something signed anyway? Assuming you don't want it so it's worth more (which is just greed imo)

It's a souvenir, you get to hang out with other fans, and it makes the book more personal. And if it's a new release signing, who cars if you have to wait in line? You literally just got a new book.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Yeroc2 posted:

If you're still handing this out, I'd love to get it.

I, too would like to sign up for this.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tunicate posted:

It's a souvenir, you get to hang out with other fans, and it makes the book more personal. And if it's a new release signing, who cars if you have to wait in line? You literally just got a new book.
Yeah I appreciate that it might mean that. I can understand waiting hours in line for a brand new book and getting it signed would be a bonus, I still don't think I would do it though.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

bowmore posted:

Yeah I appreciate that it might mean that. I can understand waiting hours in line for a brand new book and getting it signed would be a bonus, I still don't think I would do it though.

Well, you get the book right at the beginning, so you can read it in line. Getting the book is the quick bit.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Fezz posted:

I, too would like to sign up for this.
Ditto.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Mortanis posted:

Edit: Honestly, I love all three Mistborn novels, but I'd rather see The Final Empire done as a single mini-series, full stop. I'm not sure how well the other two books would work out on the small screen and still keep up viewer interest without heavy alterations. The Final Empire would work well with the heist aspect and Vin's training, culminating in the tear down of the Lord Ruler. It's got the right number of main characters for a starring cast, is almost serialized for a week to week viewing with the balls and training happening in sequence, and doesn't have a lot of expensive on-location shooting. Well of Ascension? Hero of Ages? I love them, but no, please don't try to wrangle them onto the screen.

Yeah, I agree. A 10 episode treatment of the Final Empire could really be amazing

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
You guys are probably right that it couldn't work on TV but I would still love to see that avalanche from Hero of Ages done in animation or something.

The way all those pieces fell into place made me literally giddy. It's easily my favorite Sanderson writing.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think I've seen any TV show where "magic powers" as the main thing has been done justice.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Misfits did it pretty well.

Mazer__
Jul 29, 2003

I would also like access if you're still giving it out.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
New Words of Radiance chapter from the 17th Shard forum: Chapter 2

Straight from a reading.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There's a WoR prologue reading on youtube as well. Not sure if I linked it.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

Fezz posted:

New Words of Radiance chapter from the 17th Shard forum: Chapter 2

Straight from a reading.

That was really good. Can't wait for more!

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
Wait, he did a reading from Shadows of Self too?!?! :neckbeard:

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Could I get the code too, if it's still being handed out?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Wow, Steelheart. :stare:

By sheer chance my UK edition had the climax laid out perfectly. The last three lines of page 375:

"I know everything," I whispered. Then I smiled.

Steelheart pulled the trigger.

Inside the gun, the hammer struck the back of the bullet's

I had to put the book down and just take a moment. David had fiddled with the gun! He knew and I knew and it was happening! I actually thought he'd rigged the gun to backfire somehow, though, because I'd forgotten about the pen. Whoops.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Nettle Soup posted:

Misfits did it pretty well.

To be fair, Misfits never went for the flashy powers. Telepathy, Invisibility, Immortality, Time Travel, and the ability to make people lust for you aren't hard to film. Throwing blasts of energy around or telekinesis are harder and more expensive. Misfits is what happens to people dispute powers, not focusing as hard on them as say Heroes.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Wow, that selection from Words of Radiance from the Steelhunt code :stare:

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Yeah, it was great. Engaging action, new answers as well as new questions. The government reminds me of Twoflower's home in the Discworld books. Obviously taken from the same real world source

If you haven't yet, read Sixth of the Dusk.. If the rest of it is like the excerpt, it will be on par with the Emperor's Soul.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007
Just finished Steelheart and I have to say I didn't enjoy it much. Every time I pick up a Sanderson book I get the impression that his sense of humor strongly disagrees with mine. "Bad mataphors" has to be the kind of obnoxious character gimmick that only someone who writes fantasy 10 hours a day could enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
His sense of humor really can only be described as horribly lame. Still, the man has a talent for plotting that I haven't seen matched by any other writer.