Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Is this the de facto Mid-Atlantic thread?

The new documentary about Jim Crockett Promotions is pretty good. It's two hours but doesn't drag. All the usual people are there as well as three Crockett brothers. There are RF shoot clips of Flair, Arn, and Dusty. It suffers because there's very little footage since WWE owns everything. They even bought the rediscovered footage after the movie was made. It's not full of new information, but it's fun if you're into WCW history.

It basically should be. I'm glad you posted that as I want to order and forgot. The Crocket interview alone seems worth it.

Also, in 35 minutes WCW TUESDAY NITRO! JOIN ME AS I EAT MY NWO CHICKEN!

GAWK AT EL TECHNICO!

THRILL (AND CHILL) TO GLACIER!

SEE (AND SMELL) THE NEW WORLD ODOR!

WITNESS THE PUBLIC ENEMY!

ROCK OUT TO THE AYATOLLAH OF ROCK N ROLLAH

http://psp-tv.com/r/greatestnitroinhistoryofoursport 8 PM!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

MassRafTer posted:

WITNESS THE PUBLIC ENEMY!

Do I have to?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I loved Public Enemy when they took wild table bumps in bad matches no Nitro. And they won the tag titles, that was pretty awesome.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

laz0rbeak posted:

I don't think money was an object when it came to WCW's decision-making. They paid Dennis Rodman in the millions to make 2-3 appearances per year.
Master P was paid around $100,000 per appearance.
I had no idea who he was when he appeared in WCW.
I still have no idea.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Say Nothing posted:

Master P was paid around $100,000 per appearance.
I had no idea who he was when he appeared in WCW.
I still have no idea.

Your post got me to pull out my copy of "The Death of WCW" again and, holy poo poo, it was actually higher than that at $200,000 per appearance. Also, $400,000 a year for the contract they gave to Swoll, one of Master P's No Limit Soldiers.

I also like the line

The Death of WCW posted:

Nitro the following Monday was at the SuperDome in New Orleans before a paying crowd of 15,593. Master P had bragged to the company that his presence would make the building sell out. Considering that the building could hold over 55,000, Master P was wrong.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 9, 2013

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Pfft, more like Mister P.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I feel like Master P was exactly the kind of guy an out of touch, white, 40-year-old millionaire would pay to do apperances in the late 1990s. He was like, kind of cool, but there were a million other rappers everyone liked way more.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
OK, maybe WCW missed the boat with Master P, but how about a wrestler based on KISS? That'll bring the people in!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I feel like Master P was exactly the kind of guy an out of touch, white, 40-year-old millionaire would pay to do apperances in the late 1990s. He was like, kind of cool, but there were a million other rappers everyone liked way more.

There were a lot of indications that Master P was going to be much bigger than he ended up being at that point. The angle was horribly mishandled as hell (wcw.txt) but I don't think picking him was a bad choice at the time.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

flashy_mcflash posted:

There were a lot of indications that Master P was going to be much bigger than he ended up being at that point. The angle was horribly mishandled as hell (wcw.txt) but I don't think picking him was a bad choice at the time.

Perhaps, but absolutely no one is worth $200k per appearance in late 90s WCW.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
The best part about wasting all that money on Master P was that it got the borderline racist heels over, which was not WCW's intention at all.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I like that Bischoff supposedly scoffed at getting Tyson and the amount of money WWE had to pay him, then proceeded to panic and throw gobs of money at loving Master P and KISS once the ratings swung the other way.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Chris Gaines posted:

The best part about wasting all that money on Master P was that it got the borderline racist heels over, which was not WCW's intention at all.

Hey that rap is crap song was catchy.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Chris Gaines posted:

You say that like this exact thing isn't happening with Real Americans. Wrestling fans love racism.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I'll always love WCW bringing in Master P because it gave us the greatness that was the West Texas Rednecks.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

If it were WWE, they would have gotten pissed at the Rednecks accidentally getting over and spent the next six months having them all lose to Hornswoggle.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I wonder if there's a Nasty Boys/Public Enemy match compilation out there. I strangely enjoyed two lovely teams blasting each other.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MD2020 posted:

OK, maybe WCW missed the boat with Master P, but how about a wrestler based on KISS? That'll bring the people in!
That was my other favorite stupid waste of money; they must have spent a fortune licencing the character and KISS entrance music.
Dale Torborg, the guy who played The Demon (after Bryan Adams rejected the character), was trained by The Warlord and Jim Neidhart and was green as hell when he was brought in. The main thing he had going for him was size (6'7" 275lbs) and a good physique.

Unfortunately the Kiss Demon was screwed from the start. The only guy who believed the character would be a success was Bischoff, who lost his position with the company before the Demon's wrestling debut.

Here's a more detailed write-up on the whole clusterfuck from wikipedia...

quote:

KISS was guaranteed their "Demon" themed wrestler would wrestle a Main Event match with the contract they made with WCW. This was supposed to happen at a special 1999 New Year's Eve PPV against Vampiro. The PPV and the match were taken off the table, however, after Eric Bischoff lost his position in September 1999. In order to fulfill the contractual obligation, he was booked in a "Special Main Event" match at Superbrawl in early 2000. Uncharacteristic to "Main Event" matches, it was the fourth match on the card and saw Torborg face The Wall which saw The Wall win with a chokeslam. Because Bischoff lost his position before the character's wrestling debut, The Demon character got off to a rocky start, losing to Terry Funk in its debut. Bookers at the time wanted to make Eric Bischoff look bad. Torborg contends that the character was hurt because the KISS concert to debut The Demon was one of the lowest rated segments in the history of WCW Nitro up to that point and even though Bischoff believed in the character, others believed it was dead on arrival.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

flashy_mcflash posted:

You say that like this exact thing isn't happening with Real Americans. Wrestling fans love racism.

To be fair, only Cesaro seems to be over, esp now that he's swinging people around. Nobody cares about Swagger.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'll always remember Master P for the No Limit Soldiers, a group that was, in hindsight, a precursor to Aces & Eights making GBS threads all over TNA (from what I've heard, anyway).

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
The deal with Master P was that at the time, he was billed as an incredibly successful rapper, a music mogul of sorts. The owner of a record company empire. I remember Cribs and all sorts of articles about Master P's assets, his mansion, his golden chandeliers. He was P Diddy when P Diddy was Puff Daddy. Therefore, WCW thought he'd bring in ratings. At least hip hop fans, right?

I really stuck with WCW, almost till the end. The Kiss Demon, the ICP, Vampiro VS. Sting, even Berlyn - I gave all that crap a chance, because I wanted WCW to be good, and that's not because I wanted them to beat the WWF, I just wanted good wrestling, which meant having the choice of watching several decent promotions. But too many disappointments in a row made me stop watching.

Still, the WWE's revisionism of WCW and the Monday Night Wars feels like a low blow. And it doesn't serve them well, showing a promotion they bought as vastly inferior, instead of showboating about how the WWE took over a company with an uncanny legacy.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

spongeh posted:

To be fair, only Cesaro seems to be over, esp now that he's swinging people around. Nobody cares about Swagger.

Cesaro and Colter are over! People have been chanting 'We The People' along with Zeb since this started. That gimmick is no less mishandled than Rap Is Crap, save the amount of money spent.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
The Real Americans are over because Dutch Matel keeps cutting hilariously over-the-top promos. They are really really funny even though they are raciest.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 9, 2013

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Zack_Gochuck posted:

The Real Americans are over because Dutch Matel keeps cutting hilariously over-the-top promos. They are really really funny even though they are raciest.

Yeah, but why give your racist heels a)Funny things to say and b)a chant-friendly catchphrase? It boggles the mind.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Maybe they're being sneaaaaaaaaaky with their fanbase.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Zack_Gochuck posted:

They're mostly over because Cesaro does cool poo poo.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Eric Bischoff should have shelled out for DMX and the Ruff Ryders.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Or Sisqo or Nelly. That dude is going places.

TBH a weekly live performance of The Thong Song on Nitro instead of DJ Ran would've put at least one butt in the seats (mine)

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I like Dutch, but this gimmick is a kiss of death for Swagger. Even if it turns into a comedy gimmick, it's still one that portrays Jack as a racist, and not an intriguing one, either. It seems like the whole drive behind the character is for Swagger/Dutch to find someone, and decide somehow they're foreign or are a foreign symptathizer - they make the decision on a feud first, and find justification later. That's lazy as hell, and it's why no one is giving a poo poo. Worse yet, his tag team partner is becoming a thing, independent of Swagger or the gimmick.

At least if you're going to portray Swagger and Dutch as wildly racist, have them specifically target Latino characters, and wrestle in Deportation matches or something, and try to capitalize on the Latino market they want. He's still going to have the stink of the gimmick, but at least you can hide him on SmackDown! or something.

The college jock gimmick wasn't huge money or anything, but with some tweaking, that could be a more interesting character.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

Or Sisqo or Nelly. That dude is going places.

TBH a weekly live performance of The Thong Song on Nitro instead of DJ Ran would've put at least one butt in the seats (mine)

I thought of this, too.
DMX and the Ruff Ryders would have actually made sense.

The WWF made a much better business move later, when they hired Method Man to record 'Know Your Role'.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Rad R. posted:

I thought of this, too.
DMX and the Ruff Ryders would have actually made sense.

The WWF made a much better business move later, when they hired Method Man to record 'Know Your Role'.

Don't forget Ice-T for the Godfather song (though the one on the album is a far superior Slick Rick joint).

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
This talk about bringing in outside stars suddenly reminded me how awesome Floyd Mayweather ended up being, once WWE realized that a super cocky rich guy should be portrayed as a heel.

Not WCW chat, but man, that was great.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
Some googling later, and I'm reminded of the fact that the WWF did an entire hip hop album, with rappers rapping through wrestling themes. It was called Aggression and it was released in the year 2000. Aggression? Well, twas a sign o things to come. My point: WWF Aggression was a much better business move than Kiss, The No Limit Soldiers and country singers on Nitro.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Rad R. posted:

Some googling later, and I'm reminded of the fact that the WWF did an entire hip hop album, with rappers rapping through wrestling themes. It was called Aggression and it was released in the year 2000. Aggression? Well, twas a sign o things to come. My point: WWF Aggression was a much better business move than Kiss, The No Limit Soldiers and country singers on Nitro.

That album is great. I found a copy for $1 at a dollar store a couple of years ago. The Gangrel one is pretty amazing and the album also features Snoop rapping over Austin's theme.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Rad R. posted:

My point: WWF Aggression was a much better business move than Kiss, The No Limit Soldiers and country singers on Nitro.

Both Bischoff and Vince want(ed) their programs to be much more than just wrestling. Bischoff hired bands, cheerleaders/dancers, and Jay Leno.

McMahon did pretty much the same thing to give his shows a broad entertainment appeal - Sawyer Brown performed at WWF Unforgiven in 1998. Limp Bizkit performed at another show, Drowning Pool at another, and this past WrestleMania had Pitbull (who?) or Puff Daddy or something, I guess.. Vince routinely trotted out poo poo like the Diva Search, giving away a million dollars, an angle in which he died, and a Trump/Rosie O'Donnell "wrestling match" that the fans poo poo all over. One of Vince McMahon's greatest criticisms is that he tries to make his product something more than just pro wrestling, which he usually fails spectacularly at. He hasn't seemed to learn much from watching WCW repeat this mistake repeatedly, but at least McMahon isn't hemorrhaging money on these ventures. His hardcore audience continues to watch (that's us - the adult male, 18-45), hoping to catch some actual wrestling, but we really sit through an awful lot of crap in order to see it.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
What surprised me at the time was that Bischoff didn't know how to pick the right celebs, at least when it comes to music, and he had Time Warner backing him up. McMahon didn't have that, and he still got the better pick and won in the end. I guess that's because his livelihood depended on it.

I was watching one of the later seasons of Malcolm in the Middle. A Christmas episode. The intro features Bret Hart VS: Chris Benoit in WCW, but when the boys get their presents, a bunch of WWF stuff is featured on screen. I don't remember WCW stuff being shown in earlier seasons. WCW could have been advertised all over the place.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Rad R. posted:

What surprised me at the time was that Bischoff didn't know how to pick the right celebs, at least when it comes to music, and he had Time Warner backing him up. McMahon didn't have that, and he still got the better pick and won in the end. I guess that's because his livelihood depended on it.

I'd think that Shane and Stephanie are the ones we have to thank for a lot of the more relevant pop culture elements that popped up in late nineties WWF. Bischoff didn't really have anyone in that age range he paid much attention to.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

On the other hand, WCW had Bob Mould on staff as Creative so you'd think he'd have a suggestion or two of what musicians might be good to bring in. Imagine if WCW had managed to snag the Foo Fighters or something.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

On the other hand, WCW had Bob Mould on staff as Creative so you'd think he'd have a suggestion or two of what musicians might be good to bring in. Imagine if WCW had managed to snag the Foo Fighters or something.

By the time Mould was hired WCW was in such a financial crunch that they wouldn't be able to hire any special guests. At the end WCW had to fire a mid carder for every mid carder they hired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

By the time Mould was hired WCW was in such a financial crunch that they wouldn't be able to hire any special guests. At the end WCW had to fire a mid carder for every mid carder they hired.

Ah, that's right - it was close to the end. Apparently they didn't listen to Mould much anyhow, in Creative matters or otherwise.