Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Lum posted:

What are the actual advantages?

It's great if you love SkyDrive.

Apart from that? meh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The last one I bought for home was 2007. I would have probably been better off with 2010. I got 2013 because I used my old student email address for a massive discount.

Frankly the only thing that keeps me in the Microsoft system for home is OneNote. I love that programme so much, and Evernote just isn't as good. I haven't actually set up OneNote to work with SkyDrive, so I just paste anything I need remote access to into free Evernote.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
People who hideously break their sites and ask you to help fix them, fine, I can deal with that.

People who hideously break their sites and then yell at you because its broken, then expect you to fix it, and when you do just before you clock off at midnight, proceed to do the same thing they did to break it which breaks it again. Those people piss me off.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Lum posted:

Is there actually any compelling reason to go to Office 2013 at all. This in the context of a home user who currently has the 3 user family pack for Office 2010.

So far I've heard nothing but complaints which may or may not be true.

lovely installer, lovely licensing model, enforced cloud bullshit.

I don't know honestly, it was my boss that bought the licenses. I've not even had the chance to use 2013 yet. We have 2007 deployed on some machines here, but not enough licenses to install it everywhere. Due to non-profit pricing we were able to get enough licenses on the cheap to cover every computer, I imagine buying the 2013 licenses made more sense than continuing to install software two versions behind.

Also we've got one department bitching about needing Access 2010 for some reason they've yet to justify to us.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Sirotan posted:

I imagine buying the 2013 licenses made more sense than continuing to install software two versions behind.

Office 2013 licenses gives you the right to use older versions too.. or is that just people on a Select Agreement?

DagPenge
Jun 4, 2011

Looks like our civilians are fine, thank god for the capitalist spirit!

Crowley posted:

It's great if you love SkyDrive.

Apart from that? meh

I use SkyDrive and Office 2013 and I have no idea why that is great, please enlighten me, because so far I haven't seen that much in the way of intergration. Except for that fact that you can save as and choose skydrive as a location.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Yep, I've had to show people how do poo poo in Excel many times because HR didn't know how to do something and [IT Guy] didn't know how to do it. Really simple poo poo like adding all the figures in a column and outputting that result into another cell.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Sirotan posted:

We're planning on rolling out Office 2013 company-wide, so I went to install it on my computer to begin to familiarize myself.

And then I uninstalled it because our Exchange server is 2003 which doesn't work with Outlook 2013. :suicide:

Man, I was freaking out about this for a second because we are about to move everyone from Office 2003 to 2013 and then I remembered that our Exchange Server was 2007. I was not looking forward to telling the people in charge of the budget that we need to upgrade the Exchange server too.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Good news everyone! We no longer have an HR department.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Having a huge argument with my fuddy duddy boss about even getting a QUOTE from Dell for new servers.

"I don't want Dell"

"What makes them special?"

What makes HP special you loving gently caress?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

One of my customers rebooted their Dell server the other day. Because of reasons, this one server is on a remote site.

It didn't come back up.

Turned out the DRAC card was being pissy about something and demanding that someone press F1 on the physical keyboard to continue.

That's right, the card that makes it easier to remote manage servers prevented this server from being able to reboot cleanly without someone physically present.

Thanks Dell.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

teethgrinder posted:

The last one I bought for home was 2007. I would have probably been better off with 2010. I got 2013 because I used my old student email address for a massive discount.

Frankly the only thing that keeps me in the Microsoft system for home is OneNote. I love that programme so much, and Evernote just isn't as good. I haven't actually set up OneNote to work with SkyDrive, so I just paste anything I need remote access to into free Evernote.

OneNote on Skydrive is awesome.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Sirotan posted:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bob Morales posted:

What makes HP special you loving gently caress?
iLO.

What makes Dell suck? DRAC.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Sirotan posted:

You can't just say this and not spill the juicy details. Cough it up!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

The no longer employed new guy decided to go through all of the User Access Rights GPO settings and delete LOCAL SERVICE and whatever else he felt like from every policy.

He then tried to add a bunch of IIS app pools to every policy by typing their name in rather than the account that uses them, so now I have DefaultAppPool in every Policy but not the account that runs that app pool.

He did this to the Default Domain Policy and Default Domain Controller Policy.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

RadicalR posted:

You can't just say this and not spill the juicy details. Cough it up!

Oh it's just that the remaining person in HR has been fired/quit. I was asked to deactivate her account and that is all I know.

Given that we are 6 months out from my boss quitting with no replacement in sight (a part-time consultant is filling in), this does not bode well at all. The turnover we have here is tremendous, and they couldn't even keep up when we did have an HR department.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

evol262 posted:

iLO.

What makes Dell suck? DRAC.

I told him the management tools were the real difference and we don't use them anyway...it's just a 3-node VM cluster

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Oh it's just that the remaining person in HR has been fired/quit. I was asked to deactivate her account and that is all I know.

Given that we are 6 months out from my boss quitting with no replacement in sight (a part-time consultant is filling in), this does not bode well at all. The turnover we have here is tremendous, and they couldn't even keep up when we did have an HR department.

That sounds pretty terminal, hope you are applying for other jobs

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
This isn't pissing me off, but it's probably pissing someone off today.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

mewse posted:

That sounds pretty terminal, hope you are applying for other jobs

If I knew what was good for me, yeah I probably should. It's starting to feel like rats fleeing the sinking ship around here.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

anthonypants posted:

This isn't pissing me off, but it's probably pissing someone off today.

Now *that's* a dongle.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm thinking of moving off of Thunderbird for email, do you guys have any suggestions? Sorry to ask here but there doesn't seem to be an appropriate thread, and I figured that most of you will have the same needs I do (e.g. multiple inboxes, some just admin messages from reporting services, fast local search, etc.)

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Lum posted:

Is there actually any compelling reason to go to Office 2013 at all. This in the context of a home user who currently has the 3 user family pack for Office 2010.

So far I've heard nothing but complaints which may or may not be true.

lovely installer, lovely licensing model, enforced cloud bullshit.

I can't really say what the advantages are for home users, the big one I'm seeing a lot of is that Lync is part of Office 2013 Pro Plus, and is installed along with it. For any company staying up to date, that's one less license to deal with. The 2013 Office 365 installer adds a string to the download that associates the install with a particular Office365 account, which is yards better than the Online Services Sign-In Assistant that went along with 2010. A couple of our users just couldn't be authenticated against their servers, so their Office license would time out after 30 days (though in practice this never happened, of course.)

I'm sure as far as Lync goes one man's cure is another man's poison, but the tabbed interface that keeps all chats in one window with a stack of tabs down the left, plus the multi-way video chat, make Lync 2013 client and Lync 2013 Server a good combo. Of course if you still have XP or Vista machines, you'll have to stick to 2010 as well, as Office/Lync 2013 are only supported on Windows 7 and 8/8.1, last I heard. The 2010 client works with 2013 server and vice versa, but of course you lose the extra video chat options provided by 2013 server.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Lum posted:

One of my customers rebooted their Dell server the other day. Because of reasons, this one server is on a remote site.

It didn't come back up.

Turned out the DRAC card was being pissy about something and demanding that someone press F1 on the physical keyboard to continue.

That's right, the card that makes it easier to remote manage servers prevented this server from being able to reboot cleanly without someone physically present.

Thanks Dell.

Either the card is faulty, or they didn't set it up properly (like configuring it and plugging it in, much like my co-workers). They ought to be able to simply log in to the DRAC, bring up the console and hit F1.

They do make remote management easier. Try the lovely IP KVM connected to a lovely KVM switch like most companies would likely do if given a choice (I'm currently using this awful setup for my test bench). Sometimes keys register, sometimes they don't. The mouse cursor doesn't align properly, so it appears as though there are 2 mice. Then, of course, there's the whole "can't power stuff back on remotely" thing.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Having a huge argument with my fuddy duddy boss about even getting a QUOTE from Dell for new servers.

Why would anyone want to buy new Dell servers when can get these quality refurbished HP units that are old as gently caress! My boss seriously just asked me 'check out the deals they have'.

Here is this week’s mailer with our first batch of DL380 Gen8’s. We also have a fully loaded G6 listed complete with COA!
If you need storage space, check out the MSA60 set up! Let me know what you might be looking for an I will quote.

Mid October Mailer!

HP DL380 Gen8 E5-2420 6core 1.9Ghz Processor, 16GB RAM, 8 Bay SFF, Redundant 460W powersupplies, Rails. Warranty to July 2016!
Price $1855.00 Qty. 2

HP DL380 G6 TWO Quad Core 2.8Ghz, 24GB RAM, 2 x 146GB 6G 10K SAS, 4 x 300GB 10K SAS, P400 Raid w/ 512MB Battery backed cache, Lightscribe DVD/RW, redundant 750W powersupplies, rails, WINDOWS Server 2008 R2 1-4CPU 5 clt COA
Price $1755.00 Qty. 1

HP DL380 G6 Quad Core 2.26Ghz processor, 8GB RAM, 2 x 72GB 10K SAS, RAID, 460W power supply, Rails
Price $395.00 Qty. 2

HP t5745 Thin Client 2GHz, 2GB Flash, 2GB RAM HP REFURBISHED IN HP BOX
Price $175.00 Qty. 20

HP DL360 G6 Quad Core 2.26Ghz Xeon, 12GB RAM, 3 x 146GB 10K SAS, Raid
Price $395.00 Qty. 16

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
It appears my boss has just outlawed working from home for all the admins. He decided this while he was working from home it appears. It seems he is worried about our dept image if we don't have all the staff in the office everyday.

The irony hurts.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Sickening posted:

It appears my boss has just outlawed working from home for all the admins. He decided this while he was working from home it appears. It seems he is worried about our dept image if we don't have all the staff in the office everyday.

The irony hurts.

Time to disable the VPN, since obviously nobody needs it.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Lum posted:

Save and share files in the Cloud!

Revamped user interface for a smoother experience!

Revamped licensing model!

None. There are no advantages over 2010.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Sirotan posted:

Outsourced that poo poo to ADP, did you?

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Agrikk posted:

Save and share files in the Cloud!

Revamped user interface for a smoother experience!

Revamped licensing model!

None. There are no advantages over 2010.

The one and only advantage I know of is that my company offered a license for it for only :10bux:. Not entirely an advantage over 2010, as they had offered it for that as well, but I missed out on that offer. I didn't even use it, I ended up giving it to my mom since she loves Publisher for some reason. Me, I'll stick to LibreOffice/Google Docs.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sirotan posted:

If I knew what was good for me, yeah I probably should. It's starting to feel like rats fleeing the sinking ship around here.

I got my current job by complaining to my friends that I wasn't making any money at my previous job. Despite that, I was actively sending my resume to places so when this opportunity came up I was able to send my resume to my buddy as soon as he mentioned the job. If work is draining, it's hard to go home and get this crap together but do your resume up and start looking at linkedin for new jobs and at least you won't feel as hopeless as you watch stuff going down the tubes.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
:black101: Oh <supervisor>, I wanted to verify that we're open for Columbus Day; I want to make sure the courier service knows, since I'm off all next week.

:downs: We're open, it's not on the Outlook calendar.

<minutes pass>

:black101: "Hmm, suddenly there's a whole series of entries popping up in Outlook regarding coverage while I'm out. Totally forgot about it, did we?"

Wonder if I should put in my vacation request now for the local WorldCon in 2015...

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sickening posted:

The irony hurts.

Sorry to hear that. I just got the exact opposite news, I can WFH as soon as I finish getting all my token info tied into my accounts and a few other miscellaneous things, and do a test run while at home one day to make sure everything works.

this.is.seriously.important. Working from home 1 day a week will save me probably $15 and a 2hour round trip commute, allow me to sleep an extra hour, and not want to slaughter everyone since I work 6 days a week and spend about as much time in a vehicle (truck/car) as I do sleeping a week.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
We've been planning to upgrade from Exchange 2003 to 2010 for at least the entire year, and the Exchange admin is finally doing testing on moving production mailboxes and calendars over. One of the objects he moved was the IT vacation calendar, so nobody can see that calendar anymore. I have a feeling our Exchange admin fixed it for IT management, since his bosses are handwaving it awat as a non-issue and saying all we have to do was remove and re-add the calendar from Outlook, but that's not working for anyone else. I am eagerly anticipating a widespread 2010 rollout.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

quote:

poo poo that pisses you off

sendmail.

Can't get a DNS lookup for some mail's destination? CONSUME ALL CPU ON THE SERVER

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Sickening posted:

The irony hurts.

One of the group directors I used to work for didn't even want you closing the door to your office. He didn't want to take the chance the VP might walk down the hall and think his people were out.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

:colbert: Dilbert anything but FC is not an enterprise solution.
:v: So why is VAAI Fast provisioning for NFS such an awesome feature for View as well as X/Y/Z. Also most people who we have deployed FC for is because the engineer didn't want research any of the requirements of the customer.
:colbert: That doesn't matter, FC is an enterprise solution and IP based storage is not.
:v: But it saves the design so much cost/deployment/time and complexity, which benefits the clients needs.
:colbert: FC is enterprise protocol anything but FC and your customer will laugh you out; I know some engineer told me one time.
:v: So what about the fact that I can do FCoE on the design as well as other IP based solutions which is more forgiving and easier for the client engineers to understand. Where as to FC I am limiting the client to FC engineers; and limiting their scope of troubleshooting?
:colbert: It's no pure FC

I really double question myself, then I realize everyone I work with is 95% 20/yrs military. Who was programmed to think one way and one way only.

We just hired a new guy and I've been training him the last 2 weeks. He's been in the military for the last few years and keeps arguing about the things I show him. His fallback argument is just "I was in the military so I'm thinking about things the military way, you just don't get it." God damnit is that poo poo annoying. We're not the military, you're generally wrong or full of poo poo, and have really hosed up priorities.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's not as bad as "well that's how I've always done it, and I've been doing this x years".

You're right - why bother trying to keep up with your industry when you can just keep doing things the way you were taught all those years ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Oddhair posted:

I can't really say what the advantages are for home users, the big one I'm seeing a lot of is that Lync is part of Office 2013 Pro Plus, and is installed along with it. For any company staying up to date, that's one less license to deal with. The 2013 Office 365 installer adds a string to the download that associates the install with a particular Office365 account, which is yards better than the Online Services Sign-In Assistant that went along with 2010. A couple of our users just couldn't be authenticated against their servers, so their Office license would time out after 30 days (though in practice this never happened, of course.

See with 2010, I didn't have to create an account anywhere, and I haven't had to create one to use it. I just make documents and save them to my NAS or whatever.

As for Lync, can't comment our company doesn't use it, even though we really could do with it after the office closure fiasco that made the entire team into homeworkers.