Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
Please don't let "meatgelion" become a thing that people say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BdaaN
Oct 9, 2013

MeLKoR posted:

Am I the only one that hopes there are no more human-titans, at least on the side of the good guys? What attracted me the most in the beginning was seeing tiny humans fighting against a seemingly invincible juggernaut. I'm not a fan of giant vs giant fights, not least of all because in any numbers they'd make the human element largely irrelevant to the fight. In the anime this was even more evident in the last episode when apart from Mikasa cutting out Annie's fingers the rest of the crew just stood on top of a building and watched the fight in awe.

With only Eren he could be made a part of the team and his powers used to provide support, kind of like armor and infantry working together but if you add any more titans to the human side this stops being a humans vs titans series and becomes a titan vs titan series, the humans would become irrelevant.

I loathed Evangelion, granted I saw it in my 30s and all the angst was a huge turnoff. But even worse than the permanent barrage of :no_fuck_YOU_dad: was the fact that I just didn't feel any investment for the humans, they were passive elements who I couldn't be bothered to care for one iota. I hope AoT doesn't turn into Meatgelion.

I don't think there will be anymore titan shifters fighting for humanity (Unless it ends up in a really cliche battle between Humans+Shifters vs Monkey Trouble). Whether or not the other titan shifters can be considered good or evil is still hard to say considering we still know absolutely nothing apart from the fact that they wanted Eren.

BdaaN fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Oct 9, 2013

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 254 days!
I don't really have a problem with Mikasa having superpowers or whatever. She's comparable to Levi, the best member of the most elite, experienced squad. As a fresh recruit at the age of what, sixteen?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ArchangeI posted:

And now he found the command console.
Cheat code.

And when he gets to the basement, there will be a giant neon sign with the words 'LEVEL TWO' on it.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Neowyrm posted:

Please don't let "meatgelion" become a thing that people say

Don't worry, I'm working on making Erengelion a thing.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Say Nothing posted:

Cheat code.

And when he gets to the basement, there will be a giant neon sign with the words 'LEVEL TWO' on it.

It's going to be a book about CHIM.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

oh god

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Zeruel posted:

You may be happy to know that Erengelion has been a thing for quite some time over in Japan! I'm honestly a bit surprised it hasn't caught on more in English speaking circles.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

So would Annie have the same power as Eren then? Since she yelled and had the titans come at her in the forest capture?

Seems like Reiner knows about the power and is pissed that Eren has it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Annie just alerted the other feral titans to her presence so they'd come eat her, since they seemingly really hate human-titans. She never gave them a command.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Zeruel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVp5aoRgJPI

:unsmigghh:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Mangastream finally put their translation up.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Say Nothing posted:

The time period this is set in is an alternate version of current Earth, where the titans attacks begun in the middle ages, correct? This is why technological progress is somewhat diminished, so I'm guessing that nanomachines, utility fogs and other sci-fi Macguffins won't be part of the plot.

Judging by their rifles/cannons, they have at least a mid to late 19th-century level of technology (and that's ignoring all the weird technology that goes into their blades/3d gear).

edit: Modern-ish syringes also didn't exist until the 19th century!

It's my personal feeling that the world of Attack on Titan isn't meant to overlap with our world in any way.

BdaaN
Oct 9, 2013

Sadly mangastream translations are pretty terrible this time around. http://imgur.com/a/a42EB are the most natural sounding and the best ones out in my opinion.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

BdaaN posted:

Sadly mangastream translations are pretty terrible this time around. http://imgur.com/a/a42EB are the most natural sounding and the best ones out in my opinion.

Uh, what? :psyduck: "Mikasa, you can't! Not with those injuries!"/"Don't force yourself Mikasa! Your injuries aren't mild!" "What should I do? If Reiner's done for, then... should I help the Scouting Legion and cut out of here?!"/"How do I proceed now? If Reiner and them can't continue... should I just cooperate with the Survey Corps members and get through the current difficulties!?"

I agree that one of them's natural sounding, but it's not the one in your link.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
I think that was the joke. :shobon:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Judging by their rifles/cannons, they have at least a mid to late 19th-century level of technology (and that's ignoring all the weird technology that goes into their blades/3d gear).

edit: Modern-ish syringes also didn't exist until the 19th century!

It's my personal feeling that the world of Attack on Titan isn't meant to overlap with our world in any way.

Gun technology didn't really progress because guns are pretty lovely against titans. All of their technical expertise was probably devoted to developing anti-titan weapons for obvious reasons. The 3d gear is what they came up with, and those are only moderately effective against titans.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

Gun technology didn't really progress because guns are pretty lovely against titans. All of their technical expertise was probably devoted to developing anti-titan weapons for obvious reasons. The 3d gear is what they came up with, and those are only moderately effective against titans.

Yeah, which implies that, if you wanted to map it against "real history", it would be at least mid to late 19th century (and probably later, given what you mentioned). But I don't really see any reason to assume that Attack on Titan takes place in the real world (or something that can be mapped to it in the sense of there being shared history, etc).

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I know it reads more stilted, but I kinda like having (what I hope is) a more literal translation.

E: the basement has the head of the Statue of Liberty in it. "You took it all!"

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, which implies that, if you wanted to map it against "real history", it would be at least mid to late 19th century (and probably later, given what you mentioned). But I don't really see any reason to assume that Attack on Titan takes place in the real world (or something that can be mapped to it in the sense of there being shared history, etc).

Except there is shared history, Sean and Bean were named after real people. Hanji said her story took place "500 years ago", which would set the series in 2100.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

change my name posted:

Except there is shared history, Sean and Bean were named after real people. Hanji said her story took place "500 years ago", which would set the series in 2100.

Hm, that's true. It still doesn't necessarily mean that the situation is such where from years X to Y history was the same as real life history, though. I'll just ignore the possibility of any overlapping with real life history unless the story explicitly makes it relevant.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I took the title of the first episode to mean that the action is literally taking place 2000 years from now?! I mean, tech is not an issue, after the roman empire fell it took us almost 1000 years to get back to where we were before. If some cataclysmic event took place ~850 years before that caused a civilizational collapse and a new calendar it could be that experimenting on "ancient tech" was what caused the entire titan debacle 100 years ago.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

change my name posted:

Don't the Japanese use "500 years ago" to mean "a really long time ago", my brain is vaguely remembering that from somewhere. Not arguing against the time-frame, just that the specificity may not be intended to be taken literally.

Edit:

MeLKoR posted:

I took the title of the first episode to mean that the action is literally taking place 2000 years from now?! I mean, tech is not an issue, after the roman empire fell it took us almost 1000 years to get back to where we were before. If some cataclysmic event took place ~850 years before that caused a civilizational collapse and a new calendar it could be that experimenting on "ancient tech" was what caused the entire titan debacle 100 years ago.

This is what I think may be the case.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What was kind of gruesome is that Eren bit his palm and bit all his fingers off trying to transform.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MeLKoR posted:

I thought it was "To you, 2000 years in the future" as in "To whoever reads this a really long time from now."

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder, if there was a group of people who had the power like Eren's to boss Titans around, could they order them to form themselves into walls?
It kind of makes you think about what the wall cult and the nobility are hiding.

redneck sushi
Aug 5, 2013

Say Nothing posted:

I wonder, if there was a group of people who had the power like Eren's to boss Titans around, could they order them to form themselves into walls?
It kind of makes you think about what the wall cult and the nobility are hiding.

I thought of something like that. The wall cult always looked wierd to me. I mean, The Great Wall of China kept people safe for centuries too, but it wasn't worshiped.

However, if it turns out the walls were built on titans, or rather on people who could turn into titans, it makes sense that it would exist a church-like organization both to keep it secret, and to convince its members that there was no other way to ensure humanity's survival and treat the titans (titan shifters?) inside the walls as heroes who sacrificed themselves to the cause.

That's my interpretation anyway.

Prof. Spectre
Apr 23, 2008
My 3 cents of speculation:

There are currently 4 distinct kinds of titans:
  1. generic human-like titans
  2. aberrant human-like titans
  3. humans shifting into titans
  4. Monkey
The first 3 of these are more or less confirmed to be of human origin, 3 being a given but 1 and 2 being heavily implied. Now with the new revelation we also know some people / titan-shifters have the ability to issue commands to titans of the 1st and 2nd kind. This power is also not a new discovery as Bert and Reiner knew about it before.

The 4th kind remains a mystery. It is unknown whether it is a single case or part of a larger group. Its lack of knowledge about human technology and generally very alien behaviour suggest to me it is not a human but rather an entirely different species. It seems to have some degree of control over titans.

I think the current situation is a result of conflict between humans and the monkey-titans. Humans turned into titans of the 1st and 2nd kind being used as a weapon by the monkey-titans and humanity counterattacking with their titan-shifters and later-on with some kind of control over mindless titans.

The walled area would seem like a compromise that was giving the rest of the world to the monkey-titans in exchange for the continued survival of the human race inside the walls. Not everyone agreed with such a solution though and the titan-shifting faction came to be. Destroying the walls was a way to change the status-quo and maybe then liberate the titans that form the wall to rebuild a titan-shifting army against the monkey-titans.

Prof. Spectre fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Oct 10, 2013

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Monkey could be the urtitan.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Besides all this, there seem to be three different general categories for titan appearances:

1. Like humans, but oddly-proportioned, sometimes extremely so. So far all non-shifter titans seem to fall into this category.
2. Skinless humanoids; three of the shifters are here, plus the wall titans whose shifter status is unknown.
3. "Elf-eared"; besides this trait, looks vary immensely. Eren's titan form is mostly humanoid but has that zig-zag jaw and other odd features, Ymir's looks like some sort of gremlin, and Monkey Trouble is an ape. Two of these three are confirmed shifters, while the third is something really, really bizarre.

I've been wondering if there's some sort of reason behind the differing appearances. Different titanification processes for skinless versus elfish titan forms, maybe? I dunno, there isn't quite enough to go off of yet. Monkey Trouble might not even be related to Eren and Ymir, assuming those two have some connection. That last category has only three entries that, besides the ears, shifter status for two, and their being really different from most other titans and/or exceptional in one or more ways, are pretty drat different from each other, really. I've mainly grouped them because the thread as a whole tends to do, so from what I've seen.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Oct 10, 2013

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Roland Jones posted:

I've been wondering if there's some sort of reason behind the differing appearances. Different titanification processes for skinless versus elfish titan forms, maybe? I dunno, there isn't quite enough to go off of yet. Monkey Trouble might not even be related to Eren and Ymir, assuming those two have some connection. That last category has only three entries that, besides the ears, shifter status for two, and their being really different from most other titans and/or exceptional in one or more ways, are pretty drat different from each other, really. I've mainly grouped them because the thread as a whole tends to do, so from what I've seen.

I think perhaps you're looking too far into it. The sympathetic Titans look less human to avoid the uncanny valley the regular titans have, whereas Reiner's Titan form is more like a metallic human. It simply looks less "off" to us than the "humanoid but not quite" regular titans and the somewhat creepy and oddly-proportioned Bertholt's titan and skinless Annie titan. To me it seems as a simple way to remind the viewers "these are the good guys" when they look less like freaks and more like fantasy critters.

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

Roland Jones posted:

I've been wondering if there's some sort of reason behind the differing appearances. Different titanification processes for skinless versus elfish titan forms, maybe? I dunno, there isn't quite enough to go off of yet.

I'm sort of wondering if the "titan formula" that Eren and Ymir had may even be based on whatever creature's DNA is inside the Monkey-Titan. Those may not be elf-ears, but Monkey-ears.

Prof. Spectre posted:

I think the current situation is a result of conflict between humans and the monkey-titans. Humans turned into titans of the 1st and 2nd kind being used as a weapon by the monkey-titans and humanity counterattacking with their titan-shifters and later-on with some kind of control over mindless titans.

The walled area would seem like a compromise that was giving the rest of the world to the monkey-titans in exchange for the continued survival of the human race inside the walls. Not everyone agreed with such a solution though and the titan-shifting faction came to be. Destroying the walls was a way to change the status-quo and maybe then liberate the titans that form the wall to rebuild a titan-shifting army against the monkey-titans.

Reiner says that their objective was to "Wipe out all the humans within the wall, but that's no longer neccessary" and that if Eren were to go with them, they would "Never touch the wall again." It was implied that the extinction of humanity was a better alternative than letting... something happen... up until Eren starting stomping around.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Prof. Spectre posted:

Destroying the walls was a way to change the status-quo and maybe then liberate the titans that form the wall to rebuild a titan-shifting army against the monkey-titans.

While I don't necessarily think that liberating the wall titans was part of the motive behind breaking through the walls (since they just broke the gate and no wall titans were liberated*), changing the status-quo in a situation where the government inside the walls made a compromise like you mentioned is a good example of a motive that Bertholdt/Reiner's faction might have that isn't evil. It is certainly at least morally ambiguous, but I don't believe they broke through the wall for an "evil" reason. I think that I compared it to carpet bombing earlier in the thread; it's possible for large numbers of civilians to be killed in a war and for it to not be wrong**; in Reiner/Bertholdt's case, for example, there isn't really any other way they could have attacked the humans inside the walls. They would have ultimately been killed if they transformed inside the walls and tried fighting themselves.

*I say "liberated" since it seems to be the case that they were turned into the wall against their will; otherwise why would the priest be afraid of them being exposed to sunlight? If they did it voluntarily, there wouldn't be a problem with them temporarily regaining consciousness.

**Though in real life it turns out that most of the time it is wrong, even if you're talking about something like carpet bombing in World War 2. But it's possible to imagine a situation where technological limitations make it so that the only way you can end a war reasonably fast is to do something like carpet bomb industrial centers.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

My speculation is that Eren will awaken the wall titans and we will find out that they are the true enemy of Bert and Reiner's clan. Humanity is simply a pawn in this Titan war.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm wondering if we aren't facing some sort of situation similar to Gunbuster / Diebuster. Aka humanity was fighting against titans like monkey trouble and made the humanoid titans to fight against him, then walled themselves up for so long they forgot that the titans immediately outside the walls aren't the REAL titans.

Maybe long ago some lovely leader issued a command to the titans to attack the people in the wall (or maybe that's why they built the wall in the first place) but then died before it could be called off. Humans within the walls have been killing normal titans since, while humans outside the walls have been panicking cus their main attack force is not only dwindling, but focused on a target that isn't the enemy. So they send Bert and Reiner to go wipe them out so their titans will stop being idiots and go back to fighting monkey trouble. Then they find Eren, and realize he can control titans, thus he can issue the order to stop attacking humans and go fight the REAL titans again.
There are probably plenty of holes in this theory, but it sorta makes sense?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

CodfishCartographer posted:

I'm wondering if we aren't facing some sort of situation similar to Gunbuster / Diebuster. Aka humanity was fighting against titans like monkey trouble and made the humanoid titans to fight against him, then walled themselves up for so long they forgot that the titans immediately outside the walls aren't the REAL titans.

Maybe long ago some lovely leader issued a command to the titans to attack the people in the wall (or maybe that's why they built the wall in the first place) but then died before it could be called off. Humans within the walls have been killing normal titans since, while humans outside the walls have been panicking cus their main attack force is not only dwindling, but focused on a target that isn't the enemy. So they send Bert and Reiner to go wipe them out so their titans will stop being idiots and go back to fighting monkey trouble. Then they find Eren, and realize he can control titans, thus he can issue the order to stop attacking humans and go fight the REAL titans again.
There are probably plenty of holes in this theory, but it sorta makes sense?

I think something similar. My take on it was Reiner, Bert, and Annie's mission was to breach the walls over time and get as many humans killed off as possible before the rest of the titan-shifters attack the walls. They need something in the walls, or whatever, there isn't really enough information to speculate their objective towards killing humanity.

However now they realize there is the "coordinate" who can control titans, which is a much better and less genocidey alternative for their ultimate objective than killing off humanity. Now the problem is they've made so many mistakes. They've made Eren furious enough that he will (possibly) never help the titan-shifters so I assume Plan A is going to be back in effect.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

At this point I think I'm more excited to go to Bert and Ernie's village than I am to go to the basement, so many questions will get answered when we find out what the gently caress the warrior's deal is.

The notion that the community behind the walls isn't the last bastion of humanity, and may even be a sequestered splinter is really interesting but without much solid foundation right now. I think it would totally fit and answers a lot about how the walled society functions - especially the wall cult.

What if that preacher near the very beginning was right in a way? Given that at least one coordinate exists, what if the titan plague is punishment for the actions of the wall builders against a more powerful faction with a coordinate of their own? The idea that instead of the inner city ruling class just being isolated autocrats, they are the descendants of people who lied and rewrote history to obtain total control over their citizenry fits so well in the setting. But then again, I never saw any of the other big reveals coming so what do I know?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Have we seen anything of the Wall Maria since that territory was lost? If we can logically assume that wall is also jammed full of colossal titans, have they been... recruited? Rescued? There have got to be an ungodly number of waiting monsters out there in the ruins.

It's possible that's where Monkey Titan come from. He could have been sitting dormant in those walls, and been awoken by all the hullabaloo.

I eats my spinach
Jan 16, 2005

'sup gordon

change my name posted:

Also when Hanji's spear-wielding lackeys are talking behind her back they mention her previous Titan test subjects were named Albert and Chikatilo, if the "infamous cannibal/serial killer" naming convention applied to them as well she presumably named them after Albert Fish and Andrei Chikatilo. Those two were only identified and apprehended in 1934 and 1990, respectively, which further suggests "future setting on Earth"

edit: wait, this may have only been in the anime :(

I eats my spinach fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012
They find tinned food in the manga, which kind of throws a dint in the idea that this is a world where Titans culled humanity in the 1600s.