Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

^^^ So cute--! :)

The lady who wrote the article I contributed to last year on chicken behavior for 'Chickens' magazine is writing a new one on chicken keeping tips and tricks, and asked me to contribute again so I sent her some stuff. I don't know yet when it will be published but I'll post when it does!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

OMG! He's so adorable! Look at his little pompadour hairdo/crest! :3:

I have the perfect name. You need to call him Gladstone, after the character from the Disney Donald Duck comic books. Gladstone always looked like he'd applied pomade to his headfeathers. True, Gladstone is not a chicken but the new rooster's "hairdo" looks just like Gladstone's. :)

Below: Gladstone

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!
Ohhhh. If you have a "D-" naming thing there, how about Dillinger?

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
We named the girls with flower names (Daisy, Dahlia, Rose, Lily, Violet, etc.), but I do like Gladstone. My husband thought Briar might be good.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Lynza posted:

We named the girls with flower names (Daisy, Dahlia, Rose, Lily, Violet, etc.), but I do like Gladstone. My husband thought Briar might be good.

Flower names!

Wolfsbane, sage, Jacinto,

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Snapdragon!

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?
Triffid. :colbert:

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
Crabgrass :haw:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

So. drat. Cute.

It's like he has a little bowler hat on. :3:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

THIS THIS THIS. He even has a poof like a Triffid! :neckbeard:

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Lynza posted:

I've brought some pictures! I have the next 3 days off of work, so I've been hanging out with him pretty much all day. He loves the Chicken Facility. He hopped up on the low roost and has been hanging out there. I take him out, he eats grass for a couple minutes, then goes right back in. :3:

He looks so studious. Simon. He was the tall chimpmunk with glasses

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Man, I love Triffid, but the husband is protesting mightily. I'll have to work on him.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Lynza posted:

Man, I love Triffid, but the husband is protesting mightily. I'll have to work on him.

Do it the Chickam way and put the best names in a hat and draw one.

Your new Legbar roo is so cute! You obviously need a few female Legbars to go with him! ;)

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
The hens have the cute hairdos also! So yes, we'll have to get a couple for sure. Pretty blue eggs, and pretty green eggs would be awesome.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Inveigle posted:

Do it the Chickam way and put the best names in a hat and draw one.

Your new Legbar roo is so cute! You obviously need a few female Legbars to go with him! ;)

Better yet, just put Triffid in a hat 37 times and make your husband think that he's randomly selecting a name! Then if he protests, you can just say that it was the hand of fate that decided.

Admittedly, though, I like Gladstone just as much as Triffid.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
I put him in (temporarily) last night with the ladies. Daisy is basically the mellowest hen, so we put him next to her. She didn't mind.

He then decided to jump over her, onto the #1 Meanest Hen We Have. Literally hopped over Daisy and jumped on her back and sat there. I can't believe she didn't destroy him. We got him off her, and brought him back into the house to spend the night here instead.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Lynza posted:

I put him in (temporarily) last night with the ladies. Daisy is basically the mellowest hen, so we put him next to her. She didn't mind.

He then decided to jump over her, onto the #1 Meanest Hen We Have. Literally hopped over Daisy and jumped on her back and sat there. I can't believe she didn't destroy him. We got him off her, and brought him back into the house to spend the night here instead.

Hahaha! Great photo! "Gladstone" is already behaving like a ladies' roo! (although I'm sure it was more chick behavior than an adult's right now). :D

Sleeping chickens are so :3:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Lynza posted:

I've brought some pictures! I have the next 3 days off of work, so I've been hanging out with him pretty much all day. He loves the Chicken Facility. He hopped up on the low roost and has been hanging out there. I take him out, he eats grass for a couple minutes, then goes right back in. :3:

What breed of chicken is he? He seems like a nice fella!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

piscesbobbie posted:

What breed of chicken is he? He seems like a nice fella!

He's a Legbar! :3:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Inveigle posted:

He's a Legbar! :3:

I LOVE that chicken! That cute wisp of feathers on the top of his head is adorable. I stopped by the Utah Poultry Fancy Show this morning. I would say 95 percent of the chickens there were bantam sized Wyandotte, bantam Brahma, skinny Modern Game chickens. I only saw what appeared to be 4 or 5 full size heritage chickens. A Rhode Island Red, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Langshan... so that is only three normal sized chickens I saw there. What is the deal!?! I guess people here don't want to have full size heritage chickens. There are several farms I pass if I take the scenic route home from work. One afternoon I was standing on the side of the road looking at the goats, sheep and chickens when the farmer told me to go ahead and drive around and go in and take a look. He was so nice. I noticed a couple of other coops in the area. I might have to go sight seeing. After all, a middle aged female on crutches or in the wheelchair can't be too dangerous?!?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

piscesbobbie posted:

There are several farms I pass if I take the scenic route home from work. One afternoon I was standing on the side of the road looking at the goats, sheep and chickens when the farmer told me to go ahead and drive around and go in and take a look. He was so nice. I noticed a couple of other coops in the area. I might have to go sight seeing. After all, a middle aged female on crutches or in the wheelchair can't be too dangerous?!?

I wouldn't go alone though! Some lonely farmer might get the wrong idea! :eek:

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
He's so funny. We keep him in the house at night because it's pretty cold (low 40s, sometimes high 30s) and the girls aren't really cuddly with him yet. He stays outside all day, but stays in the house. I put him out, he pecks at the grass, then immediately goes back inside. He seems to like to be up on a roost, or at least near the door (we have a "high" door with a block so the deep litter doesn't block the door).

As he gets better feathered I'll probably put him in with the girls at night. He's smart enough to know to avoid them if they come at him, at least.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

piscesbobbie posted:

I LOVE that chicken! That cute wisp of feathers on the top of his head is adorable. I stopped by the Utah Poultry Fancy Show this morning. I would say 95 percent of the chickens there were bantam sized Wyandotte, bantam Brahma, skinny Modern Game chickens. I only saw what appeared to be 4 or 5 full size heritage chickens. A Rhode Island Red, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Langshan... so that is only three normal sized chickens I saw there. What is the deal!?! I guess people here don't want to have full size heritage chickens. There are several farms I pass if I take the scenic route home from work. One afternoon I was standing on the side of the road looking at the goats, sheep and chickens when the farmer told me to go ahead and drive around and go in and take a look. He was so nice. I noticed a couple of other coops in the area. I might have to go sight seeing. After all, a middle aged female on crutches or in the wheelchair can't be too dangerous?!?

Unless we warn them of your chicken love and to make sure they frisk you before you leave for the odd banty or pullet stuffed under your coat. :raise:

Also...DON'T LOOK AT THIS CHICKEN

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 13, 2013

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

What a cute rooster! I like his little crown. He looks like some kind of ancient sun god, in chicken form. Inti or Quetzalcoatl perhaps! Triffid and Dandelion are both good names for him.

Here are some pictures of my chickens having fun in the old chook pens.

Alecto digs quite formidable potholes.

Kali inspects my phone to see if it is edible (it is not).

The majestic Kali boat.

More Kalisthenics.

As it's spring, the local crows are quite busy raiding bird nests for their eggs. Sometimes they steal chicken eggs, too, if free range chickens decide not to lay in their nesting box. There is a large tree on the edge of our paddock that the crows like to use for breaking eggs open. Small eggs they seem to eat whole while larger eggs they crack open first. Sometimes they smash them open on the branches but mostly they just drop them onto the ground and swoop down to eat it up.

Sometimes, however, they are unfortunate enough to drop their eggs when there is a very surprised but greedy chicken lying in wait at the bottom, which then decides to steal the egg for itself. This tends to create quite a stir as crows chase around chickens, while concerned parents of eggs chase the crows. So far, chickens seem much better than crows at sprinting.

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010

After many years and failed attempts, I finally created the elusive chicken/parrot hybrid.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

... no... no... nonononononono what have you done!? Holy poo poo that thing will poop AND chew everything you hold dear! And it now has opposable thumbs, kinda.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
Hi Chickgoons- I had a quick question and thought that anyone livestock related might know a little bit better than the average pet person. I have an outdoor water trough (Doggies) and an outdoor bowl (for local stray kitties that wander about :ohdear:) that both have a bad habit of collecting algae. I've heard whispers on cattle and livestock forums that cow and chicken owners sometimes put Mrs. Stewart's liquid bluing in their troughs to cut the algae down. The website says it's safe for pets and livestock but 'at your own risk' for anything other than a laundry additive.

Can anyone else chime in on this and say if it's safe? If so, how much would you even use? I would never wanna harm my animals, so I wanted some reassurance or naysaying. I just thought the farm-oriented goons might know a bit better. Thanks if anyone has any advice or opinion. :3:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Freakbox posted:

Hi Chickgoons- I had a quick question and thought that anyone livestock related might know a little bit better than the average pet person. I have an outdoor water trough (Doggies) and an outdoor bowl (for local stray kitties that wander about :ohdear:) that both have a bad habit of collecting algae. I've heard whispers on cattle and livestock forums that cow and chicken owners sometimes put Mrs. Stewart's liquid bluing in their troughs to cut the algae down. The website says it's safe for pets and livestock but 'at your own risk' for anything other than a laundry additive.

Can anyone else chime in on this and say if it's safe? If so, how much would you even use? I would never wanna harm my animals, so I wanted some reassurance or naysaying. I just thought the farm-oriented goons might know a bit better. Thanks if anyone has any advice or opinion. :3:

Why not just use apple cider vinegar? 1 tablespoon to 1 gallon of water.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Yep, apple cider vinegar is great. We started using it recently and it makes a huge difference in the amount of algae in the water troughs.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Hahaha, our border collie has been outside with our hens for the last hour. She knows she isn't supposed to bother them so she takes it to the extreme and sits statue still watching them. She took it to such and extreme there was a squirrel sitting right next to her head and she was so drat excited but she knew she wasn't supposed to move. Wish I had gotten a photo before the squirrel left, I have a good dog.:3:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

I was going through my pics to update my website...

Here, have a silly pic of Skillet as a youngster, caught mid-yawn. :keke:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Skillet's such a pretty bird. :3:

I was reading about a free range chicken farm earlier about how the 5000 free range birds swarm visitors.

:stare:

And also apparently love playing with the tractors.

quote:

On a property near Calliope, manager Dan Carney is cautious about leaving almost 5,000 head of chooks alone with the tractor.
At Silver Dale Eggs, it appears these birds are bred like no other.
"You can't leave it running when you get off because they love climbing up on it, you'll hear the engine rev up," says Dan.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/photos/2013/10/15/3869181.htm?site=&xml=3869181-mediarss.xml#bigpicturepos

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Why not just use apple cider vinegar? 1 tablespoon to 1 gallon of water.

...! Ahaha, I should have thought of that; my Ma uses that for everything. I even remember being forced to drink that crap as a kid :3: thanks.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Ahahahaaa! That's a great shot. I love seeing close-ups of birds. Their feathers are so cool! Post more outtakes photos, please!

Look at all those chooks, begging for treats. That is hilarious! :D

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Freakbox posted:

...! Ahaha, I should have thought of that; my Ma uses that for everything. I even remember being forced to drink that crap as a kid :3: thanks.

You can also just paint the inside of the tank black, and move it to a shady spot. Algae won't grow in low light.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Velvet Sparrow posted:

EEEEEE. Oh how I love her look! Best chick ever. What bias? :haw:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Velvet Sparrow posted:

THERE IS NO SKILLET. THERE IS ONLY ZUUL.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Lynza posted:

If only I had room for chickens.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Skillet will always be my favourite Chickam 2013 chicken. :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Skillet didnt keep the tuxedo pattern, did she?