Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

i read this as "home brewing rov" and thought of a big boiler on wheels that chugs around your property brewing and dispensing beer

don't steal my idea

try to find a high school near your job that has a FIRST robotics team, then offer to be a "mentor" to them with your programming and electronics expertise. you get to build fancy robots with a budget much larger than a single dude at home would have, you teach kids all about science, and the competitions are awesome like the homecoming football game but for big nerds

highly recommended. our team made it to the nationals and placed in the top 10% last year

first is a massive autism hugbox full of really really REALLY smelly children and manchildren

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

madeupfred posted:

i dont know if they still do this but if you go to an elementary school book fair they sell a box full of electric bits for like $10, looks exactly like what's in that indiegogo, plus you give an elementary school two dollars.

woah i didn't know you could go to an elementary school book fair if you weren't in elementary school

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Werthog 95 posted:

woah i didn't know you could go to an elementary school book fair if you weren't in elementary school

i havent been to one since i was in elementary school. not a lot changes in a week but w/e

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
today would be a good day to eat some cactus

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bloody posted:

first is a massive autism hugbox full of really really REALLY smelly children and manchildren

i'll grant you the autism but like, dude, it's a competition for high school students. a lot of high schoolers smell, oh well it happens. and every high school event is going to be surrounded by awful manchildren parents living through their kids -- unavoidable. but when everything is working right it's awesome

i think it's a ton of fun and i like showing the high school kids something like tig welding and they go "woowwaaow that's the coolest thing i've ever seen." v rewarding

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
and then they decide to make a career poisoning themselves

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'd love to be a mentor/teacher, but sadly as a nonchildhaver I have learned to pick my battles, and parents are too helicoptery to understand that type of thing any more

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hey not all of us are concerned for our child's wellbeinf

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

and then they decide to make a career poisoning themselves

nah most of them are strongarmed by their parents into going to whatever brand-name engineering school they can get into. of course then instead of poisoning the body with metal fumes they're poisoning the mind with toxic engineers' opinions and attitudes

Jonny 290 posted:

I'd love to be a mentor/teacher, but sadly as a nonchildhaver I have learned to pick my battles, and parents are too helicoptery to understand that type of thing any more

eh? you mean the parents would be upset that you don't have any kids? you're married, that's good enough for most, and you're not going to be allowed to be alone with the kids without getting fingerprinted anyway so

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

nah most of them are strongarmed by their parents into going to whatever brand-name engineering school they can get into. of course then instead of poisoning the body with metal fumes they're poisoning the mind with toxic engineers' opinions and attitude

that's all good though things like welding are better hobbies than jobs, better to make more money doing less physical things. I trained to be a welder out of high school and gently caress looking back now if I ha succeeded doing that instead of going into health sector I would hate myself right now so much

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

i'll grant you the autism but like, dude, it's a competition for high school students. a lot of high schoolers smell, oh well it happens. and every high school event is going to be surrounded by awful manchildren parents living through their kids -- unavoidable. but when everything is working right it's awesome

i think it's a ton of fun and i like showing the high school kids something like tig welding and they go "woowwaaow that's the coolest thing i've ever seen." v rewarding

oh nah im harshing on the kids in my college who """mentored""" the high schoolers. by mentor i mean "do every loving thing for" of course. those kids were nasty

the high schoolers yeah who cares theyre children

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ah yeah a lot of the mentors are pretty awful that way. i haven't met too many serious spergs though, mostly the horrible engineer know everything about everything types. but its always great to walk around the pits at a competition and see the teams that are like five dads working on the robot and one kid standing there handing them tools.

theres a team in texas that apparently designs the whole thing in solidworks in a week, then sends it out to various water jet dads and welder dads and cnc dads and powder coating dads and eventually gets their robot back with everything but the electronics package professionally assembled and ready to go. our robot wasn't pretty but it was clearly primarily hacked together by a bunch of 15 year olds out of home depot extrusions and plywood. the only "professionally" made parts were some critical frame welds and one cnc'd mechanism

i'm going to teach them to do carbon fiber layup this year :getin:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

ah yeah a lot of the mentors are pretty awful that way. i haven't met too many serious spergs though, mostly the horrible engineer know everything about everything types.

those are spergs fyi

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

not really. they're not especially obsessive about anything and in social settings they're more likely to be creepy egotistical mras than unsettlingly autistic.

everyone knows at least one engineer who thinks that because he has an undergraduate engineering degree he's automatically the smartest person in the room and, lacking any other particular defining skills or features beyond "went to engineering school", that inflated sense of superiority defines his person.

FIRST has a lot of those, yes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i actually did make a point to complain to the parents last year that the creepier boys on the team were scaring off the girls and we needed to get that poo poo stamped out so they would grow up to be upstanding young men instead of terrible sperg mras. it seems to have worked so far cause we have a lot more girls now and the boys have quit using terms like "feminazi", thank god

just making a difference in my little corner

Dec 26, 2012

we had a guy who mentored FIRST working in our lab

he had clearly decided that college meant he didnt have to shower or cut his hair anymore

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

i live on a toxin free diet and don't have to bathe more than once a week or wear deodorant

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

CamH posted:

i live on a toxin free diet and don't have to bathe more than once a week or wear deodorant

here's one weird tip:

yes you loving do

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Why do we fall, sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up. - Alfred Pennyworth

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Sagebrush posted:

i actually did make a point to complain to the parents last year that the creepier boys on the team were scaring off the girls and we needed to get that poo poo stamped out so they would grow up to be upstanding young men instead of terrible sperg mras. it seems to have worked so far cause we have a lot more girls now and the boys have quit using terms like "feminazi", thank god

just making a difference in my little corner

you're doing the lords work sagebrush

how old are these boys and why are they slinging terms like "feminazi" around? i know, reddit etc but still.

also gently caress you rush limbaugh for coining that phrase and giving rise to all of this stupidity in the first place

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Gas.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

CamH posted:

same that smell is just my alpha endorphins pheremones

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

madeupfred posted:

i dont know if they still do this but if you go to an elementary school book fair they sell a box full of electric bits for like $10, looks exactly like what's in that indiegogo, plus you give an elementary school two dollars.

thge entire point of that indiegogo is that a lot of educators can't afford to buy arduino lemonardos for all the kids. what this guy basically did was to rejig the lemmonardo a bit (its open source) and get enough orders from people to be able to drop the price of the lemonardo from about $25 to below $10, as a not for profit venture. note that i'm specifically talking about the lemonardo, not the uno, not the nano, not the duedecimilliardobongo, not any of the other ones. it's easy and cheap, often free, to get hold of random electronic poo poo - this is not the point. in fact getting the lemonardos, for me, was secondary - i was primarily backing the guy's neat idea. BLUB BLUB YOU CAN BUY A THING AT FASTTECH or BLIB BLOB PAY A MONEY TO A SCHOOL AND GET JUNK is not quite the goal here.

fuk u lemonardo

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

spankmeister posted:

here's one weird tip:

yes you loving do

fine. ill compromise and bath every third day and put on a dab of cologne on off days

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
ordering of tertles changes from 1st pane to next, immersion ruined

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

you're doing the lords work sagebrush

how old are these boys and why are they slinging terms like "feminazi" around? i know, reddit etc but still.

also gently caress you rush limbaugh for coining that phrase and giving rise to all of this stupidity in the first place

they're mostly 15 to 17 years old and they use those terms 100% because reddit. when they don't get along with another boy they say he's an idiot or whatever, but when it's a girl out comes the "feminazi" and "get back on the kitchen make sandwiches lol".
i think that most of it originally comes from two or three really unpleasant rear end in a top hat kids who are already fat bully creeps but it rubs off on the others because they're 15 year old nerds who have no other experience interacting with girls normally.

so anyway because I think at least some of them look up to me I try to emphasize that every mature person is just grossed out by sexism and in fact the girls will like you a lot better if you treat them like a normal person and don't try to belittle them etc

when it works, feels good man

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

they're mostly 15 to 17 years old and they use those terms 100% because reddit. when they don't get along with another boy they say he's an idiot or whatever, but when it's a girl out comes the "feminazi" and "get back on the kitchen make sandwiches lol".
i think that most of it originally comes from two or three really unpleasant rear end in a top hat kids who are already fat bully creeps but it rubs off on the others because they're 15 year old nerds who have no other experience interacting with girls normally.

so anyway because I think at least some of them look up to me I try to emphasize that every mature person is just grossed out by sexism and in fact the girls will like you a lot better if you treat them like a normal person and don't try to belittle them etc

when it works, feels good man

ok this kind of garbage alternately makes me want to sally forth and actually try to teach some, and run loving screaming into the hills

so torn

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

ok this kind of garbage alternately makes me want to sally forth and actually try to teach some, and run loving screaming into the hills

so torn

children just reflect the most accessible pieces of our culture back at us

it turns out our accessible culture is hosed to poo poo: MRAs, creeping sexism, rape culture triumphant. thanks internet

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Honked posted:

thge entire point of that indiegogo is that a lot of educators can't afford to buy arduino lemonardos for all the kids. what this guy basically did was to rejig the lemmonardo a bit (its open source) and get enough orders from people to be able to drop the price of the lemonardo from about $25 to below $10, as a not for profit venture. note that i'm specifically talking about the lemonardo, not the uno, not the nano, not the duedecimilliardobongo, not any of the other ones. it's easy and cheap, often free, to get hold of random electronic poo poo - this is not the point. in fact getting the lemonardos, for me, was secondary - i was primarily backing the guy's neat idea. BLUB BLUB YOU CAN BUY A THING AT FASTTECH or BLIB BLOB PAY A MONEY TO A SCHOOL AND GET JUNK is not quite the goal here.

oh dang sorry i confused you with my wording. it wasnt a random box of poo poo, it was a perforated box that you could turn into a breadboard that was full up with electric bits the included book explained. again this happened a while ago so im not sure if the prices are comparable, im just saying that this kind of existed already. but yeah its a cool idea sorry again.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

madeupfred posted:

oh dang sorry i confused you with my wording. it wasnt a random box of poo poo, it was a perforated box that you could turn into a breadboard that was full up with electric bits the included book explained. again this happened a while ago so im not sure if the prices are comparable, im just saying that this kind of existed already. but yeah its a cool idea sorry again.

gently caress YUO

that sounds really cool actually

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the moment i saw this in nickelodeon magazine i knew it had to be mine

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
so incredibly triggered

This is the one I grew up with. I worked it until the cardboard disintegrated, and then I ripped the variable capacitor out of it and built a shortwave antenna tuner with it

http://www.amazon.com/Elenco-200-In-1-Electronic-Built-In-Out-Front/dp/B0057M168Q

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Werthog 95 posted:

the moment i saw this in nickelodeon magazine i knew it had to be mine

aw yeah

i had this one

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i had a bigger radio shack one too but not one with op amps. could have used a head start on those :I

fun with electronics board was pretty sparse in comparison but the fuckin cd-rom with cartoon components teaching u poo poo thru wacky hijinks made up for it

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

children are the future

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

so incredibly triggered

This is the one I grew up with. I worked it until the cardboard disintegrated, and then I ripped the variable capacitor out of it and built a shortwave antenna tuner with it

http://www.amazon.com/Elenco-200-In-1-Electronic-Built-In-Out-Front/dp/B0057M168Q

and here you are making teh yosvape

truly an inspiration :patriot:

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
when i was a kid, i had a pile of junk, that i scavenged parts from. i used to make radios and things by soldering components directly together. stripboard was incredibly precious, i had a small piece but it was too precious to use. one day someone gave me a breadboard, it was the best thing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Dr. Honked posted:

when i was a kid, i had a pile of junk, that i scavenged parts from. i used to make radios and things by soldering components directly together. stripboard was incredibly precious, i had a small piece but it was too precious to use. one day someone gave me a breadboard, it was the best thing

i remember marveling at my first purchase of raw one-sided PCBs, on which I could actually etch circuits. no more projects done on hammered nails in a piece of wood

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

so incredibly triggered

i also had this one when i was a kid
i was just playing around with it trying to do things and had no real idea what i was doing and i think i managed to burn one led and a transistor once

i also got one where it was just a small microcontroller and a keyboard, a bunch of leds, a 7 digit display and a speaker (you had to wire the things up together with spring just like the above) and you could make small programs in machine code on it
i actually had more fun with that one, i was always more a software guy than a hardware guy i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Zlodo posted:

i actually had more fun with that one, i was always more a software guy than a hardware guy i guess

I fumbled and hosed about with electronics for the past 20 years, but only in the last five have I been really excited, mainly due to the explosion in physical computing and microcontrollers. Hardware is cool but it's a different animal than software, and blending the two is MAXIMUM POWER