Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Alereon posted:

Mantle is for all GCN-based products.

But the AMD Audio is or isn't included?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Tab8715 posted:

But the AMD Audio is or isn't included?

AMD TrueAudio is only included for the R7-260X and R9-290(X).

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Oy. So okay, we're looking at basically an upclocked 670 for a minor upgrade to the regular 760 (17% more CUDA cores, 5%-7% lower clocks). Equal power target, 170W.

But there's also a 760 (192-bit), which maintains the retail 760's core count but drops the clocks from 980/1033 MHz (base/boost) to 823/888 MHz and cuts the memory bandwidth by over 25% (192 bit @ 5.8 GHz instead of 256 bit @ 6, going along with 1.5 GB/3 GB of VRAM instead of 2/4). Approximating by core-hertz, the 760 (192-bit) will have slightly better compute than a 660 (albeit with very similar fill rates) but a slight drop in RAM bandwidth. Power target drops to 130W - watch for this in OEM smallboxes.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 9, 2013

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Alereon posted:

That's been there for a couple months I think, it's an OEM rebrand of the GTX 670. Releasing that could be an interesting choice, especially if they give it 4GB of RAM. At $299 that would be a killer card.
Forgive my ignorance, but why would this be a killer card? The R9-280X essentially trades blows with the 770, but only costs $299 now (with some 7970 OCs being found on sale for ~ $260-280). It seems like the 280X would still outperform a 760 Ti by a good margin, and they would both be the same price.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

SourKraut posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but why would this be a killer card? The R9-280X essentially trades blows with the 770, but only costs $299 now (with some 7970 OCs being found on sale for ~ $260-280). It seems like the 280X would still outperform a 760 Ti by a good margin, and they would both be the same price.
It'll depend on the exact pricing and configuration nVidia chooses, if this ever becomes a retail card. I mentioned the key stuff nVidia will point to, which includes the lack of a game bundle on AMD cards and AMD's driver issues. Even post-correction frame-pacing on single AMD cards is as bad as nVidia's SLI frame pacing, which is rather unforunate. If they do launch a 760 Ti 4GB at $299 that seems like it would be a pretty compelling alternative to the R9-280X 3GB for $299.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'm curious as to the gooncensus on how much free games/bundles factor in to GPU purchases.

In my mind they're at the bottom of my points of comparison between products, to the extent of being a non-factor. I'm curious if I'm an anomaly in this respect.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

El Scotch posted:

I'm curious as to the gooncensus on how much free games/bundles factor in to GPU purchases.

In my mind they're at the bottom of my points of comparison between products, to the extent of being a non-factor. I'm curious if I'm an anomaly in this respect.

The games in the bundles are getting pretty loving old at this point. They really need to add BF4 and maybe a few more headliners to get people interested again. Plus, supposedly the new cards won't be getting any games for a while.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
At NCIX they are selling Nvidia cards that come with Batman: Arkham Origins. That's not an out of date game is it?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Squibbles posted:

At NCIX they are selling Nvidia cards that come with Batman: Arkham Origins. That's not an out of date game is it?

I didn't know about that promo. It's a good move on their part since the Never Settle games are getting really old. If we're lucky AMD will come back with BF4 for the R7s and R9s.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Alereon posted:

Do you have a link to this? As far as I can tell nothing above R9 280X has been officially announced.

It -was- here, but they already took it down I guess. Someone must have oopsied. http://www.amd.com/US/PRODUCTS/DESKTOP/GRAPHICS/R9/Pages/amd-radeon-hd-r9-series.aspx#3

As far as 280x goes, my 7970 already overclocks to 1200/1450, and I only paid 280 for it :)

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Squibbles posted:

Nope, it hasn't even come out yet.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

El Scotch posted:

I am in the same boat. Most of the time I have purchased the game anyway on steam (or like service). I tend to purchase my cards unbundled with any games as a result.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

MiniSune posted:

I am in the same boat. Most of the time I have purchased the game anyway on steam (or like service). I tend to purchase my cards unbundled with any games as a result.

If you're wiley you can sell the game codes to counter the cost of the card a little bit. When I bought my 570 it came with Metro 2033 and a couple of other games with steam codes so I was able to ditch them online. Probably could have gotten $10-20 per game if I hadn't given them away here.

vvv - I would say that free games wouldn't make me choose a card model over another one but it might make me choose between manufacturers. If they are offering the same card for around the same price, why not get the one with the games.

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 10, 2013

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai

El Scotch posted:

For me, it's only a relatively small point if the cards I'm trying to decide between have similar performance. Like between a 7970GE and a GTX 770.

It ultimately comes down to the price/performance ratio in the end though. I'm not going to lie, a few free games would sweeten the deal even more, but it's never enough to push me to one side.

norg
Jul 5, 2006

El Scotch posted:

I figure you can still eBay them for a decent amount of money, which in turn effectively lowers the price of the card.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

Factory Factory posted:

But there's also a 760 (192-bit), which maintains the retail 760's core count but drops the clocks from 980/1033 MHz (base/boost) to 823/888 MHz and cuts the memory bandwidth by over 25% (192 bit @ 5.8 GHz instead of 256 bit @ 6, going along with 1.5 GB/3 GB of VRAM instead of 2/4). Approximating by core-hertz, the 760 (192-bit) will have slightly better compute than a 660 (albeit with very similar fill rates) but a slight drop in RAM bandwidth. Power target drops to 130W - watch for this in OEM smallboxes.
It's a rebadge of GTX 660 OEM with no functional differences. Funnily enough, I was hoping that this configuration could have been released in the shops as well as it is on the paper much more balanced than the GTX 660 I have. Though the 660 GTX runs everything I play on 1440x1080 resolution without issues.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Rosoboronexport posted:

1440x1080 resolution without issues.

Huh, unusual screen. I didn't know there were 4:3 screens with this res these days. What is it?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

CRT, or someone using 4:3 on a 16:9 display for some reason.

Or using 16:9 with stretched pixels to save on GPU strain but I don't even know of games that do that on PC. (A few do it on the consoles, usually PS3, as a bit of a development cheat.)

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

HalloKitty posted:

Huh, unusual screen. I didn't know there were 4:3 screens with this res these days. What is it?

As guessed before, CRT monitor. While electric hog and space heater, it gives flexibility (currently using it at 1920x1200 resolution in letterbox mode) it gives flexibility with old games that might not support widescreen/high resolutions or run at specified resolution.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

So how does the nVidia 780M perform? I am picking up an iMac for my home PC use for the next 4-6 years or so, and on the off chance I want to play a Windows game it would be good to know if the 780M offers much of a benefit over the 775M, and what that kind of performance translates to in terms of desktop performance.

My current GPU is a 6870 bought with Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I am hoping for a bit of a bump to keep up with the higher resolution screen, even if I have to turn down the effects a bit. But with the 4GB GPU memory option, I will only be hurting for shader effects, not texture resolution, correct?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's basically the difference between the 670 and the 680. It's probably even smaller than that because mobile GPUs have to hit stricter power targets so the 775m might be able to hit higher sustained boost clocks than the 780m, making up a bit for the ~10% lower core count. The 775M will be a dramatic step up from the 6870. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/780?vs=830 almost applies, but because the 670 is a desktop card it's able to run ~25% higher clock speeds than the 775M.

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

Turnquiet posted:

So how does the nVidia 780M perform? I am picking up an iMac for my home PC use for the next 4-6 years or so, and on the off chance I want to play a Windows game it would be good to know if the 780M offers much of a benefit over the 775M, and what that kind of performance translates to in terms of desktop performance.

My current GPU is a 6870 bought with Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I am hoping for a bit of a bump to keep up with the higher resolution screen, even if I have to turn down the effects a bit. But with the 4GB GPU memory option, I will only be hurting for shader effects, not texture resolution, correct?

They're fairly close, the 780M has ~200 more shaders and I think 100Mhz more clock speed, and faster memory. Probably looking at 10-15% difference. Don't plan on playing any demanding games 4-6 years down the road with either of them though.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Alereon posted:

Even post-correction frame-pacing on single AMD cards is as bad as nVidia's SLI frame pacing, which is rather unforunate.

Source? Everything I've seen since the single GPU fixes show single GPU AMD cards with both faster frame rates and smoother frames in the majority of cases vs comparable Nvidia GPUs, never mind SLI setups. I haven't followed this for a while, but I somehow doubt that Nvidia has pulled some magic drivers in the mean time.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Arzachel posted:

Source? Everything I've seen since the single GPU fixes show single GPU AMD cards with both faster frame rates and smoother frames in the majority of cases vs comparable Nvidia GPUs, never mind SLI setups. I haven't followed this for a while, but I somehow doubt that Nvidia has pulled some magic drivers in the mean time.
Check out the per-frame latency graphs in the TechReport article, by using the buttons to switch between the cards you can see that the GTX 680 graph is perfectly flat while the 7970 graph has some stutter. Though the 7970 does do perfectly in Sleeping Dogs, and AMD should be congratulated for the progress they've made in these games, the overall story of poor frame pacing on AMD cards remains true.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I have always had a bit of stuttering with my 7870 but this more recent Tech Report review paints a LOT better picture for AMD latency-wise: http://techreport.com/review/25466/amd-radeon-r9-280x-and-270x-graphics-cards/8. More mature drivers? Slight differences between the 7970 ghz and the r9280x? (I doubt this one, since they are essentially the same.)

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Alereon posted:

Check out the per-frame latency graphs in the TechReport article, by using the buttons to switch between the cards you can see that the GTX 680 graph is perfectly flat while the 7970 graph has some stutter. Though the 7970 does do perfectly in Sleeping Dogs, and AMD should be congratulated for the progress they've made in these games, the overall story of poor frame pacing on AMD cards remains true.

Yeah, you're right. The differences shown by Fraps are minuscule, but Nvidia does do better when looking at the FCAT graphs. I was thinking of pcper's 13.2 beta 7 reviews(http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Frame-Rating-GeForce-GTX-660-Ti-and-Radeon-HD-7950/Far-Cry-3, http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Frame-Rating-GTX-660-vs-HD-7870-plus-HD-7790-HD-7850-GTX-650-Ti-BOOST) when FCAT wasn't a thing yet.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Apparently there is a newer beta driver out for AMD that makes a huge improvement, although it still doesn't fix frame pacing on crossfire + eyefinity setups.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Should I always be looking to have the latest Catalyst drivers? I just upgraded from 13.4 to 13.9 and have been experiencing more CTDs than I am used to (almost none except in Fallout:NV). I tried the 13.11 beta drivers and they seem to be flakey as well. For some reason I hate using old drivers but they seemed to work better. What's the consensus on the best Catalyst drivers at the moment?

I have an ASUS 7970 and 64 bit Windows7 if that matters.

edit: bought some more bits

fuckpot fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Oct 12, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

fuckpot posted:

I have an ASUS 7970 and 54 bit Windows7 if that matters.

There's yer problem.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

fuckpot posted:

Should I always be looking to have the latest Catalyst drivers? I just upgraded from 13.4 to 13.9 and have been experiencing more CTDs than I am used to (almost none except in Fallout:NV). I tried the 13.11 beta drivers and they seem to be flakey as well. For some reason I hate using old drivers but they seemed to work better. What's the consensus on the best Catalyst drivers at the moment?
Always use the latest Beta drivers, never use release drivers on AMD cards because it takes ~six weeks for Microsoft to approve a Beta driver for release so they can't contain the latest required fixes. If you're having trouble, make sure you use Driver Fusion (free) to remove the remnants after uninstalling the old ones, before you reboot to install the latest drivers. Also use the GPU-Z sensors tab to check GPU and VRM temperatures, as the new drivers are more efficient, resulting in higher framerates in games and potentially higher temperatures.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What kind of power supply do I need for a 280X?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Tab8715 posted:

What kind of power supply do I need for a 280X?

As it's basically a tweaked 7970 Ghz, the power requirements will be about the same (I ran a Sapphire Vapor-X 7970 Ghz on an Antec BP550 with an SSD and 4 HDD's with no issues). I'd probably err on the side of caution and get a reputable 600W PSU.

Here's a look at the Sapphire R9 Toxic 280X.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 13, 2013

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
The recommended 550W PSU in the Parts Picking thread will handle it fine.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What about a Earthwatts 500?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Tab8715 posted:

What about a Earthwatts 500?
That's pushing it pretty hard, what's in the rest of the system? The videocard has a TDP of 250W, figure 100W for a non-overclocked CPU, that puts you at ~400W before any overclocking. Generally once you load a power supply past about 50% fan noise starts to go up rapidly and efficiency and power quality go down. When you consider that a 500W Antec Earthwatts is rather old and hasn't aged very well, I'd pick up something new in around the 750W range, especially if overclocking is considered. It depends on your tolerance for noise and how hard you plan to push the system, though.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Not sure how reliable videocardz.com is, but they're now saying that the launch of the 290 series is being delayed to an unknown date.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

fuckpot posted:

I have an ASUS 7970 and 64 bit Windows7 if that matters.

edit: bought some more bits

For me, I usually check reviews and performance before jumping on a driver update, especially if the ones I'm using at the time are stable and don't have any issues. Before I had to RMA my 6970, I didn't notice anything different between the 13.4 and 13.9 Catalyst drivers when I updated, and I think outside the frame pacing stuff, there wasn't anything majorly different between the two.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

SourKraut posted:

Not sure how reliable videocardz.com is, but they're now saying that the launch of the 290 series is being delayed to an unknown date.

That's really odd just like how it's mentioned that reviewers are already doing things like disseminating pics after taking apart the cards.

Block diagrams are out too, and it's confirmed that the 290s have the PS4's same fancy compute feature added on. Wonder how much of HSA we'll be seeing within the next six months if any.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Anyone looking forward for the 290 non-X? Looks like this would be the best bargain buy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

Anyone looking forward for the 290 non-X? Looks like this would be the best bargain buy...

I've been debating between the non-X 290 or going with the ASUS Matrix R9-280X.