Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

gmq posted:

Mine has white marks from the keys but I stepped on it so yeah.

Protip: don't leave your computer on the floor next to your bed.

Haha, good to know. I keep mine in my Horizontal Brain Cell pretty much all the time so I think I'm okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

terriyaki posted:

Lexicon, try putting your laptop to sleep. I sometimes have this issue happen with my 15" rMBP and my U2412M as well.

Putting the laptop to sleep seems to fix the issue and once you put it to sleep once the display should turn off appropriately using the keysroke or after your power saver countdown if you have that setup (although it may pop up again in the future once you disconnect and reconnect to the display). I think it's a TB/mini-DP/DP issue with Dell displays.

It's actually a Mac Mini hooked up to the display. Regardless, today it's apparently working! I did a reboot and a software update in between times, and now it works. Odd.

Too bad there's apparently no command line method to sleep the display, as I'd ideally do this through Alfred, but no worries. Ctrl+Shift+Power will suffice.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

gmq posted:

Mine has white marks from the keys but I stepped on it so yeah.

Protip: don't leave your computer on the floor next to your bed.

Or just buy a Thinkpad if you want a laptop than can double as a welcome mat.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Apple event is October 22, for those holding out for a rMBP refresh.

I hope they honour my student card, because I wanted to get myself one as a graduation present but I just realised it expired End June 2013 rather than end 2013 :ohdear:.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

They don't care. Most of the time they don't even check for me, otherwise they'll just glance at your student ID or ask you to log into your school's email or something.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Fiki posted:

Dang, just a month outside of my return window for the rMBP I bought. But I was under a time constraint of needing a laptop for school. :(

If its the 15inch some would consider the old model superior, as the the Haswell version will reportedly do away with discrete graphics for the integrated-only Iris Pro.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

They don't care. Most of the time they don't even check for me, otherwise they'll just glance at your student ID or ask you to log into your school's email or something.

Hopefully the store near me will be that lax, not having to pay the 20% VAT would be like a £200 saving.

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007

rufius posted:

Wait. What the hell software do you need that hasn't transitioned to the Mactel world (if it's a game, I get it)? No modern equivalent available?

Version 7 of this piece of poo poo. One of my jobs requires this, despite my frequent urging to upgrade or do the logical thing and transfer to InDesign. I share files with my boss so I can't upgrade unless she does, and she doesn't know InDesign.

It's here. And my 14 day grace period extends one day past the announcement, just in case I decide I want something else instead. :woop: Hope this means I can retroactively get a free upgrade to Mavericks.

Rand McNally fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 9, 2013

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Bonobos posted:

If its the 15inch some would consider the old model superior, as the the Haswell version will reportedly do away with discrete graphics for the integrated-only Iris Pro.

A lot of the old speculation (including mine) was based on the apparent price premium Intel was charging for Iris Pro CPUs in their official price list, but then things like the new iMac happened (only the low-end 21 inch model uses Iris Pro). It may be the case that Intel didn't hit performance targets and OEMs like Apple decided to treat it as a more low end option (while extracting price concessions). If so that may have opened the door to keeping discrete graphics around for one more generation.

Long term, discrete is dead though. It won't retain a performance advantage (in notebooks, at sane system power requirements for truly mobile machines) for more than one or two more years.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Remember that they had an IGP only MBP 15" for a while before as the low end, so there's some precedence there too.

Lexicon posted:

It's actually a Mac Mini hooked up to the display. Regardless, today it's apparently working! I did a reboot and a software update in between times, and now it works. Odd.

Too bad there's apparently no command line method to sleep the display, as I'd ideally do this through Alfred, but no worries. Ctrl+Shift+Power will suffice.
Not really sure if it'll work, but can you send key commands through a script in Alfred? I know you can with AppleScript at least, but I don't know if it works to the point of triggering system shortcuts like that one. Maybe osascript + AppleScript sending key commands?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Apple event is October 22, for those holding out for a rMBP refresh.

I hope the Mac Pros make an appearance there.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

BobHoward posted:

A lot of the old speculation (including mine) was based on the apparent price premium Intel was charging for Iris Pro CPUs in their official price list, but then things like the new iMac happened (only the low-end 21 inch model uses Iris Pro). It may be the case that Intel didn't hit performance targets and OEMs like Apple decided to treat it as a more low end option (while extracting price concessions). If so that may have opened the door to keeping discrete graphics around for one more generation.

The chances of Apple releasing a 15" rMBP with Iris Pro (or, at least, Iris Pro as the only option) dropped to zero for me when they only made it available for the cheapest iMac. I think there's a good possibility of seeing it in the 13" one (maybe as a BTO option), but I'm pretty confident that that'll be about it.

On the upside, maybe we'll see a quad-core 13" this year... :allears: no we won't.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
So I'm looking at upgrading my 17" MBP because it's dying hard loving core and I haven't bought new tech in years. The problem is I'm a bit on the fence as to what to get. I used to have an air way back when they first came out, and I loved everything about it except for the battery life (I've heard it's really good now though), so I'm eying either the 13" or 11" air, though I'm really uncertain how to feel about the resolution after a 17", and I'm uncertain how comfortable the 11 would be as a near-primary computer if I was away from a base station all the time. I also like running Ableton Live with piles of VSTs, but I've heard that's not a huge problem. I've also considered jumping over to an iMac, though I'm curious if anyone here has tested one out for gaming (not that I do much, but I haven't really played games in years and it could be fun).

Alternatively hope Apple isn't a bunch of shitbags and releases a 13" Retina update on the 22nd and that my 17" which now has to be plugged into a wall to function survives until then. :argh:

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

So I'm looking at upgrading my 17" MBP because it's dying hard loving core and I haven't bought new tech in years. The problem is I'm a bit on the fence as to what to get. I used to have an air way back when they first came out, and I loved everything about it except for the battery life (I've heard it's really good now though), so I'm eying either the 13" or 11" air, though I'm really uncertain how to feel about the resolution after a 17", and I'm uncertain how comfortable the 11 would be as a near-primary computer if I was away from a base station all the time. I also like running Ableton Live with piles of VSTs, but I've heard that's not a huge problem. I've also considered jumping over to an iMac, though I'm curious if anyone here has tested one out for gaming (not that I do much, but I haven't really played games in years and it could be fun).

Alternatively hope Apple isn't a bunch of shitbags and releases a 13" Retina update on the 22nd and that my 17" which now has to be plugged into a wall to function survives until then. :argh:
I was going to suggest a retina MBP since I have a 15" and you can run the screen at 'effectively 1920x1200' resolution. They're absolute monsters hardware-wise, too.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
My biggest complaint is that I don't like having that large a computer, the 13" is light at least but I'll be damned if I'm buying something right before the new one comes out. It's going to be a drat pain since the keyboard I use isn't offered in Canada so I'll have to order the laptop and head to the mainland + cross the border just to pick it up.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
My old Lenovo finally crapped out on me so I'm looking for a new system. My use case has changed since I bought that and now I'm looking for lighter (7lbs once you add the power brick.) I had considered getting the 13' air since its thin and light but due to how much reading I do on my laptop I figured MBP retina might be better. I saw that the new one was coming out on the 22nd though. Is it really worth it to wait for it? Battery life isn't that critical to me since I usually have an outlet near me, and transfer speed on drives is only a mild luxury. I had planned to get it this weekend since I can't really function at work without a laptop.

Is there a convincing reason to wait?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kenishi posted:

Is there a convincing reason to wait?
We don't know because we don't know the specs of the new rMBPs. Presumably Haswell will just bring battery life and minor performance improvements, but beyond that we really don't have any safe guesses.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
Ya that's what I was reading. Just to clarify. Is the 22nd going to be the day it hits the shelf or will they unveil it then and launch a week or so later? Based on how they usually do it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kenishi posted:

Ya that's what I was reading. Just to clarify. Is the 22nd going to be the day it hits the shelf or will they unveil it then and launch a week or so later? Based on how they usually do it.
We don't have a lot of experience with "usually" since the Mac refreshes have been all over the place lately. It seems like we can expect (based on the iMac last year at this time) almost immediate availability.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
So is the rumour mill pointing to a 13" refresh? How much horsepower is the 13" in comparison to a 13" Air?

Also I'd still love to hear from anyone who used an 11" as their daily. :)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

So is the rumour mill pointing to a 13" refresh?
That's a safe assumption.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

How much horsepower is the 13" in comparison to a 13" Air?
For 2012, the 13" rMBP wasn't actually that much faster than the Air. On paper the MBA's CPU base clock is ~1 GHz slower, but I believe they have similar turbo caps (don't quote me on that) which explains why the rMBP was only ~10-15% faster in most workloads.

I'm mostly looking at the 13" rMBP and 2012 Air performance data from these graphs:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7113/2013-macbook-air-core-i5-4250u-vs-core-i7-4650u/2

Yeah it's a 2013 Air performance article, but it includes 2012 machines so it's useful.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
drat, will haswell really make that big of a bump in new rMBPs, you think? Since it seems to me like it's a resolution vs battery life tradeoff.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

So is the rumour mill pointing to a 13" refresh? How much horsepower is the 13" in comparison to a 13" Air?

I've used the 11" as my daily computer for a couple months. You get used to it, though the lack of vertical space grates after a while. I think the rMBP lineup is so close in weight (and superior in form factor) that the only justifications for considering the Air right now are either battery life or cost. Which is fine, if that's your thing.

Incidentally, it's a year away, but according to the supply chain leak yesterday the next generation of airs is finally going to be the one to get a chassis redesign.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

If you're that concerned about the 11", I'd go with the 13" Air instead. The 11" seems really neat because its *just so drat small* but I'm pretty sure it'd be a pain for me to use as my primary. The 13" is just as thin and only negligibly heavier- but the screen, palmrests, and SD card slot make it so much more usable IMO.

Also, the only thing that's guaranteed to be announced on the 22nd is iPad stuff. While it would make sense for Apple to refresh the MBP lineup then, I wouldn't hold my breath for any absolute certainty. If you can wait, awesome- but if you need a new computer then get one.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Oct 10, 2013

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If you can wait, awesome- but if you need a new computer then get one.

Another thing I thought about was get the MBP now and if they make a big announcement on the 22nd, return it. It'll still be in 14 days. Are apple stores pretty anal about returns?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If it's working and within 14 days it's fine to return it. There's no fee or anything.

That said, I don't think there will be an announcement. A lot of times with Mac refreshes it just shows up on the site. It could pop up tomorrow or 3 weeks from now. They only talk about it in Keynotes if it's a big deal like a new form factor or design.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The chances of Apple releasing a 15" rMBP with Iris Pro (or, at least, Iris Pro as the only option) dropped to zero for me when they only made it available for the cheapest iMac. I think there's a good possibility of seeing it in the 13" one (maybe as a BTO option), but I'm pretty confident that that'll be about it.

On the upside, maybe we'll see a quad-core 13" this year... :allears: no we won't.
Iris Pro is only on the quad core CPUs :eng101:

13" will probably get plain ol Iris, and the Iris parts are lower wattage than the current 13" MBP's parts to boot (on top of the general Haswell efficiency improvements). I'm really interested in seeing what kind of battery life they'll get.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

drat, will haswell really make that big of a bump in new rMBPs, you think? Since it seems to me like it's a resolution vs battery life tradeoff.
If you mean a bump in battery life, yeah I'm expecting a significant gain (see above).

Either way I'd suggest the 13" retina cause the resolution considering you're coming from a 17". The virtual resolution only goes to 1680x1050 (vs the 15" going to 1920x1200) but its form factor has a smaller footprint than the 13" MBA and only weighs around half a pound more.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Mercurius posted:

I was going to suggest a retina MBP since I have a 15" and you can run the screen at 'effectively 1920x1200' resolution. They're absolute monsters hardware-wise, too.

1920x1200? I thought they were 2880x1800.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Oct 10, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ijyt posted:

1920x1200? I thought they were 2560x1600.

They are, but you can choose to run the screen at other resolutions and since the pixels are so small it looks alright. You can even run the 13" at 1920x1200 with QuickRes

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

They are, but you can choose to run the screen at other resolutions and since the pixels are so small it looks alright. You can even run the 13" at 1920x1200 with QuickRes

Yeah, I just had a bit of a morning idiot moment. 2560x1600 would be fine on the usual 30" monitor but then I remembered these were screens have half that size, so native resolution would barely be legible.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 10, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ijyt posted:

Yeah, I just had a bit of a morning idiot moment. 2560x1600 would be fine on the usual 30" monitor but then I remembered these were screens have that size, so native resolution would barely be legible.

There are people on forums who claim to use their Retinas at native res.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

japtor posted:

Either way I'd suggest the 13" retina cause the resolution considering you're coming from a 17". The virtual resolution only goes to 1680x1050 (vs the 15" going to 1920x1200) but its form factor has a smaller footprint than the 13" MBA and only weighs around half a pound more.

Shoot, if it's literally half a pound more I may have to do that. I don't plan on needing the battery life that much. Can you still return something within the window if it was upgraded? Say, nonstandard keyboard, HDD upgrade, etc.?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The 13" Retina already has a 7 hour battery, it should increase when they get Haswell. Plus Mavericks. You should be looking at 10-hours at least.

If it comes out with a 12-hour battery it will probably be the first Mac I buy on launch day.

ShadowFox1001
Sep 21, 2013
I'm looking forward to seeing the specs for the next MBP. It'll certainly help me with my decision on getting either that or an iMac to replace my early 2009 iMac later on.

eames
May 9, 2009

Does anybody happen to know if the 2012 Macbook Air can be used with the larger battery from the 2013?

My battery is now below 50% capacity an it is time to replace it.
The new 2013 MBA has a battery with a "carrier" and connector that appears to be identical to the old one.
It has a nominal voltage of 7.6 V instead of 7.3 V, but a ~4% increase doesn’t seem like a huge difference considering the voltage of Li-ion batteries fluctuates depending on their state of charge. The capacity would be higher too (7150 vs 6700 mAh) which would be nice for that extra half an hour of battery life or so.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

What, you bought a 2013 MBA battery thinking it'll work fine in a 2012 MBA?

Please feel free to tell us the results, but if you take it to a Fruit Stand and ask them to put in a 2013 MBA battery into a 2012, I am very sure they won't do that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

The 13" Retina already has a 7 hour battery, it should increase when they get Haswell. Plus Mavericks. You should be looking at 10-hours at least.

If it comes out with a 12-hour battery it will probably be the first Mac I buy on launch day.

A 3 hour bump in battery life seems very optimistic. What is making people think this will happen?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

Please feel free to tell us the results, but if you take it to a Fruit Stand and ask them to put in a 2013 MBA battery into a 2012, I am very sure they won't do that.

The better battery capacity was also due to slightly shrinking the SSD footprint for the 2013 model.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I said come in! posted:

A 3 hour bump in battery life seems very optimistic. What is making people think this will happen?

The Airs pulling that jump off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

No, I am about to buy a 2013 MBA battery hoping it will work fine in my 2012. The batteries aren’t hard to replace, I have the screwdrivers and the warranty is no problem since I didn’t buy Applecare for such a relatively cheap device.

Some comments on ifixit indicate it works fine:

http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/131665/Will+the+A1496+batery+fit+in+Mid+2011+MacBook+Air