Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Hi, and welcome to the non-SA YouTube/Twitch/Let's Play/video game video playthrough thread. In here, we discuss LP-related videos, groups, and sites that aren't posted on SA.

Typically, this stuff tends to fall into the Sandcastle and Recommendation threads, so why not its own? Feel free to bring up people/things you like/dislike/think are interesting, whatever.

Special Rules:

1. This is a positive and negative thread. We're not looking for Retsupurae material - feel free to talk about people/groups outside of here you think are great and need more exposure. Also feel free to bring up that guy on Twitch who faked being paralyzed for donations.

2. "Don't touch the poop/No Internet Detectiving." If you find a lovely LPer you'd like to bring up to make fun of and all that, that is acceptable here, but don't go beyond what they've posted on their channel or related media. Example: If you'd like to talk about a bad LPer, consider videos posted or are posted about them fair game, or even their official Facebook/Twitter stuff. If you find their real name - even if they've disclosed it - and are able to look up something about their personal lives - that is over the line.

Basically, your objective should never be to destroy someone on the Internet. I mean, it's still just dumb videos at the end of the day.

3. Make sure your post is content-ful. Don't just post "This guy rules/sucks!" Try to include a bit about why you're posting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
I was gonna start with something good, but gently caress that, because there's one guy I wanted to talk about for awhile. ZiloanOP is - or was - a twitch.tv gamer, paralyzed from the waist down. He got about $20,000 in donations from people watching his livestreams. It's scarecam LP type of stuff, but for a good cause, right?

Except, whoops, he made one video where it turns out he's not actually paralyzed, and was scamming everyone. (Note his girlfriend try to tell him on the stream that he accidentally got up from the chair in front of the camera.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N5gixJ2X8M

Twitch banned him and are trying to refund his donations.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Slowbeef posted:

I was gonna start with something good, but gently caress that, because there's one guy I wanted to talk about for awhile. ZiloanOP is - or was - a twitch.tv gamer, paralyzed from the waist down. He got about $20,000 in donations from people watching his livestreams. It's scarecam LP type of stuff, but for a good cause, right?

Except, whoops, he made one video where it turns out he's not actually paralyzed, and was scamming everyone.

I had always assumed that poo poo happened, but now I have evidence.

Breaking away from terrible people and getting into terrible trends, I wanted to talk about YouTube custom Thumbnails.

Look up any popular YouTube person and you get a custom thumbnail on their videos that generally feature the name of the game, the number of the episode and...their face. If you happen to be this guy you may end up dressing like Ash from Pokemon for your videos of a Pokemon game that for some bizarre reason all feature a face cam

It goes beyond popular people, though. For some reason it's a trope that spreads from the top guys to people with ten views on six videos released in the span of two days a year ago.

What I can't understand is why this is a thing, it doesn't serve any purpose besides letting me know what the inside of your mouth looks like and to avoid you at all costs.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Scare cams, I guess, give a human element to the voice you're listening to? It's still really dumb, and the first time I recall ever seeing a scare cam would but on a show called FEAR which was like late 90s-ish? It's like the same idea: Make people scared have these cameras for reaction shots. It'll either be really funny or really scary because you can SEE and FEEL how frightened they are.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Do custom thumbnails actually... do anything for anyone? I don't ever really regard them when I go to watch videos - I usually find what I'm looking for via search and the title.

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.
Scarecams seemed like an interesting idea the first time I found out they were a thing. Then they became huge. Then youtube superstars started putting scarecams on every video ever just so you could see how they were reacting to episode 542 of Happy Wheels. I'll agree that it adds some human element, but there's so many at this point it seems like the gimmick for a horror LP would be to not have a scarecam.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Also, to address a DarkSydePhil thing from the Sandcastle:

David D. Davidson posted:

Since we're talking about the podcast let me just say the Slowbeef got the story about phil and his computer wrong.
Okay so from what I under stand is that it when phil first got started and was gaining popularity Chris Furtado (aka the Mightyfurtado) and his friend Teo sent Phil a message say "hey is it cool if we make a site for you" Phil said yes and then they made thekingofhate.com. About a year or so later Phil posted on his website that he was in the market for a gaming PC and so Chirs and Teo contacted him again and said that they were doing an intership with Tigerdirect and would be willing to build him a gaming PC,and so it went more or less like you said on the video, they screwed up on the ram but besides that and the case getting cracked when they were shipping it to him everything was fine. They even threw in a bunch of software for him including Amensia, Crysis, and Sony Vegas Pro 10. Okay so then Slowbeef and Chip made their little video earlier this year. As a result, Phil is suddenly put under immense pressure to switch to direct capture. So he finally gives in and buys a hauppauger HD PVR. He then streams himself setting it up and calls on Chris and Teo for help. During the evening he starts getting frustrated when he has trouble setting it up for Livestreaming with his PS3 and begins lashing out and Chris and Teo and saying they the PC that they built for him is a lemon and that they ripped him off and generally berating them. A few days later during one of his Vlogs he tries to explain himself and then again starts laying into them and demanding that they give him the site and that they should apologize.

So in short Phil is an rear end in a top hat and Chris and Teo should be considered heroes for putting up with his poo poo for so long.

There's a whole lot more to DSP than we talked about in our podcast. I based what I said on a video that Mighty Furtado had put out, but didn't know that level or detail, nor that DSP had gotten the Hauppage as any sort of response to Chip's video with me. Or mine with Chip. Or however you want to put that.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Lazyfire posted:

What I can't understand is why this is a thing, it doesn't serve any purpose besides letting me know what the inside of your mouth looks like and to avoid you at all costs.

Essentially it's there because most of those LPs try to be personality-based. However for a lot of these people they think the best way to get viewers and thus the big bucks is to act whacky and over-the-top and what's whackier than pulling this face people dont usually do?

That or it's those reaction faces you see sometimes, these people wanna hit the big time and become the reaction face thus getting more popular in the process.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Slowbeef posted:

Do custom thumbnails actually... do anything for anyone? I don't ever really regard them when I go to watch videos - I usually find what I'm looking for via search and the title.

I use custom thumbnails for almost every one of my videos. I use them to upload an innocuous screenshot from the video because a lot of the time YouTube's three thumbnail options spoil stuff that happens in it.

But I guess that's nothing like the intended way to use them.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Slowbeef posted:

The ones people use for LPs? probably not. I've seen a ton of Vine compilations ("Wackiest Vine Videos, March-April 2013!) advertised with thumbnails showing a woman with her back to you wearing yoga pants and the like, or Reply Girls who use thumbnails of themselves from the chest up for the thumbnail and I'm sure there are plenty of 12 year olds who click the gently caress out of those videos.

Custom Thumbnails are, as you said, sort of redundant if you are searching and have the title in front of you. I think they would be helpful to someone looking for the next episode in a series from the recommended lists on the side or in the video space after the video is over. Too bad the utility of that is sort of negated by the fact people will put their faces over the text that would otherwise be helpful.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Slowbeef posted:

I'm not sure if they have any major benefits, but I've used a few occasionally just to either replace it with official artwork and/or prevent anyone from getting spoiled via related videos and the like. It seems to work pretty well for that if nothing else.

Now, the other use for them that I've seen (i.e. someone's face making a "wacky" reaction over a random arbitrary colour)? Yeah, I got nothing for that one.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

FutureFriend posted:

Essentially it's there because most of those LPs try to be personality-based. However for a lot of these people they think the best way to get viewers and thus the big bucks is to act whacky and over-the-top and what's whackier than pulling this face people dont usually do?

That or it's those reaction faces you see sometimes, these people wanna hit the big time and become the reaction face thus getting more popular in the process.

People actually want the camera. I remember watching some Battlefield video a while ago and glancing down at the comments, it was overflowing with people begging the guy to put himself on camera. It's weird.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Dragonatrix posted:

I'm not sure if they have any major benefits, but I've used a few occasionally just to either replace it with official artwork and/or prevent anyone from getting spoiled via related videos and the like. It seems to work pretty well for that if nothing else.

Now, the other use for them that I've seen (i.e. someone's face making a "wacky" reaction over a random arbitrary colour)? Yeah, I got nothing for that one.

I don't even have the option to use custom thumbnails probably because I am not a partner but I am fine with the three thumbnails usually. I try to pick the closest one to the beginning as I can if the default doesn't work.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Slowbeef posted:

Except, whoops, he made one video where it turns out he's not actually paralyzed, and was scamming everyone. (Note his girlfriend try to tell him on the stream that he accidentally got up from the chair in front of the camera.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N5gixJ2X8M

Twitch banned him and are trying to refund his donations.

So while we're talking about this guy, I watched Diablo 3 streams pretty religiously for the first 6 months of Diablo 3's lifetime and through doing so I found Zilian's stream as well as plenty of others. I really disliked Zilian the whole time, irrespective of any disability fraud. He was just a real dick to his chat and even to his girlfriend who he'd have on a separate cam covering another quarter of his screen.

Anyway, fast forward to the last couple of months, these guys run a 24/7 stream taking shifts playing video games in their "streamer house", at the helm is a dude called Inigo who is all right if not a bit of a goofy pothead, he took the Zilian drama and ran with it though, one thing they did was grab a wheelchair, fake beard and grey hat like Zilian wore and did random poo poo with it in their old stream house. Apparently the wheelchair is even signed by Zilian, which kind of just paints how big of a scumbag he is, that he shrugs it off enough to sign something that's being used to make fun of the poo poo he pulled.

Either way, he's a total scum gently caress and I'm glad he got caught.

Edit: Oh, DSP has already been mentioned. Well what about the time that I pissed off his girlfriend despite never addressing her directly before she tweeted at me.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 10, 2013

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
This completely validates custom thumbnails for me:

That said, I often find them annoying. Many people use them to put a generic game logo or similar on it, which in my opinion just makes it harder to identify what the video is about exactly.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Slowbeef posted:

If you subscribe to a whole bunch of people, they're quite useful. Particularly given that youtube likes to cut off longer titles, they're a quick way of seeing what it is. For me it's quicker to see the thumbnail that says GTA V 18 than it is to scroll down and read Blahblah Blahblah plays Grand Thef... and work it out by hovering the mouse or something to see the full title. Even more so if you have half a dozen different minecraft series. They're not all quite so horrible.

Even though there's a whole load of entirely unrelated things in the top one, it's instantly clear what's what. I can scroll through someone's videos and immediately identify what anything is, particularly if it's part of a series I'm watching, and I recognise the thumbnail. The second one, not so much, but since there's generally not more than one or two things on the channel, it doesn't matter so much. I know I'm not interested in Fatal Frame, so I can move on. In the third image, there's some riffing on a lovely Dangan Ronpa LP, some riffing on a lovely art game and a podcast, but the only one you can easily identify is the podcast because it has a distinct and obvious thumbnail. There's no identifying information in the others to tell me what the video is about, what game we're seeing or anything. Given that there's not a lot you can do since apart from maybe gaming in the clinton years and billymc, there isn't really a whole lot of continuity between videos with retsupurae, it doesn't matter so much. But it's still less immediately obvious.

If you're competing with dozens of other people on some guys front page, the thumbnail is the immediately visible advert that's going to draw them to your video, that guy is probably going to click on the neat looking thumbnail which tells you the episode number, the LPer and the game rather than some empty unidentifiable background or a minor characters dialogue face. You barely have to read anything to recognise a thumbnail. I imagine for the average user of this forum, they're probably pretty useless, though. Tobuscus' face will draw in 12 year olds like nothing else.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 10, 2013

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Slowbeef posted:

There's a whole lot more to DSP than we talked about in our podcast. I based what I said on a video that Mighty Furtado had put out, but didn't know that level or detail, nor that DSP had gotten the Hauppage as any sort of response to Chip's video with me. Or mine with Chip. Or however you want to put that.

I know, Even since the first video you did about that guy he has become something of a Trainwreck fascination for me. The connection with your video and him switching over to direct capture is just speculation on my part really. Most of the details I got about the whole situation come from this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucF8k7a2oSQ

I think the idea behind custom image tumbnails is to create a more professional look thumbnail as opposed to just a random screenshot from the video. Most of the facecam poo poo is just part of the dumb trend that YouTube letsplayers buy into. Hopefully they'll grow out of it.

SUPER ASIA
Apr 4, 2008

SUPER ASIA

Slowbeef posted:

I think they can help out, if done well and have a consistent format. Eye-catching ones might bring in more people and that's always a good thing. My boyfriend does all the art for my show and my thumbnails generally consist of my persona cosplaying as a character from the game, with the Channel title, the game name, and an episode number. People have generally commented on really liking them, and I noticed an upswing, however small, in subscribers after I started using them. If nothing else, well done ones add just a little bit of class to the whole channel, and that's never a bad thing.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Slowbeef posted:

Like people have said, they're good for preventing spoilers within the video in a way. But I find them useful for some playlists/search results/personal pages for videos with longer titles or navigating my subscriptions. Sometimes the title is too long or doesn't fit on my screen ("Let's Play Metal Gear Rising: Revengeace Part 20 Section 2/3" for example), so the big fat number on the custom thumbnail telling me which part this is helps out.

And they just really stand out more than text. I know it only takes a second to read it but there's just something about it that feels faster. Like the icon for your podcasts for example, that's immediately recognizable.

EDIT: Jeez, talk about EFB. MooCowlian put in much better words than me.

I think I'm lucky that no one I follow does the face thing and the one time they did, it was as a parody of dumb horror LPs.

HGH fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 10, 2013

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Thanks for this because this gives me an excellent example of the thing I hate:

Sure, you can instantly identify the game, but apart from that you have no idea what's the difference between GTA V Part 15 and GTA V Part 20, because they use exactly the same image!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Slowbeef posted:

The way I use them is to accent something I want people to see like the Mighty No 9 video I made. Since no other video really has a custom thumbnail or whatever it should tend to stand out more and was hopefully going to get more people to support that game.

Though I guess it just shows more effort has been out into the video if you can edit a picture together.

Zain fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 10, 2013

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Sure, you can instantly identify the game, but apart from that you have no idea what's the difference between GTA V Part 15 and GTA V Part 20, because they use exactly the same image!
Really? I see it the other way around. I prefer it when there is the same background picture for all videos in a series, but an episode number printed hugely.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I still watch him sometimes so I'm biased, but I'm not really sure what you want out of it. A full description in a tiny box? Given that GTA isn't a game that easily splits into mission or something, there isn't a lot of difference between part 15 and part 20 apart from the fact that one happened a couple of hours after the other. They're not as good at telling information as the actual title, sure, but those seem pretty good given the amount of space you have to reasonably show information. The NHL ones tell you which team he's playing. When that's got to replace your title for idiots who won't read things (viewers), as well as serve as an advert, it seems pretty good to me. The mindcrack ones do change with the video too. I haven't watched them so I can't tell you how relevant those images are, but I assume that they're at least partially relevant, showing a picture of what he might have been building or something in the episode.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 10, 2013

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Here is a weird little website I found a year or so back called Game Anyone?(the "?" is part of the title). Basically it's just YouTube filtered out for LPs.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

As much as I dislike a lot of their content, the one thing the MindCrack guys seem to do is make decent thumbnails. Outside of that they are almost all practitioners of some really bad YouTube LP habits, like posting videos within hours of the game coming out, reading everything out loud and then forgetting the instructions seconds later and of course, constant personality over content videos.

Gum Drop
Aug 17, 2013

Competitive player of a dead game.
Here's something pretty bad I found while preparing an LP for the Flash Games thread. It's of a flash RPG, where not only is every single line of dialogue read, but read by different people for each character during a live stream. To say it's an unorganized mess is an understatement.

EphemeralToast
May 30, 2013

Slowbeef posted:

I hadn't heard of this guy before, and this is a scummy thing to do. But I just want to make sure that people understand that sometimes people in wheelchairs don't need to use them every second of every day. Sometimes people with chronic health conditions use crutches or a cane normally, then have a bad day and need to use the chair, for example. Sometimes people use wheelchairs for exhaustion or pain issues, not because of paralysis. Just because you see a person get up and walk away from a wheelchair does not automatically mean they are a faking shithead.

That said, if the guy specifically said he is completely paralyzed from the waist down and then does this, he is not only a shithead but making life harder for those of us with legitimate disabilities to be taken seriously, so gently caress him.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

infinitycanvas posted:

Here's something pretty bad I found while preparing an LP for the Flash Games thread. It's of a flash RPG, where not only is every single line of dialogue read, but read by different people for each character during a live stream. To say it's an unorganized mess is an understatement.

You know how when you're REALLY tired but you're fighting it, then you start to nod off but you're aware of it happening so you immediately feel disoriented? I just got that in the opening 15 seconds of that video.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I mostly use custom thumbnails because I enjoy making them, to be honest. I've got a smidge of graphic design in me so I kinda hate it when all the thumbnails are just a frame of me being awful at a video game.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

In terms of the good, I'm fairly fond of Katrinonus and Helloween4545 (:siren:Current thumbnail for most recent video is :nws::siren:). I haven't watched recent stuff, but I had fun with the older things they did. Yes, there is some bumbling (specifically Katrinonus' main Haunting Ground run), but I've found them to be fairly good.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

EphemeralToast posted:

I hadn't heard of this guy before, and this is a scummy thing to do. But I just want to make sure that people understand that sometimes people in wheelchairs don't need to use them every second of every day. Sometimes people with chronic health conditions use crutches or a cane normally, then have a bad day and need to use the chair, for example. Sometimes people use wheelchairs for exhaustion or pain issues, not because of paralysis. Just because you see a person get up and walk away from a wheelchair does not automatically mean they are a faking shithead.

That said, if the guy specifically said he is completely paralyzed from the waist down and then does this, he is not only a shithead but making life harder for those of us with legitimate disabilities to be taken seriously, so gently caress him.

You're right, and I've thought about that before, but a few things:

1. His girlfriend is pretty clearly in on it. She talks to him in code to let him know the camera's on him.

2. Their story changed a couple of times. Firstly, according to him, he got up to get his dog a bowl of water or something, and immediately fell over off-camera (though he still manages to push the camera down when he realizes, somehow). Then, his girlfriend claimed he had undergone physical therapy and was able to stand for short periods.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
Let's talk about an awesome youtube LPer for a while, and one I personally think deserves a lot more exposure than he gets: Un, proprietor of I Played A Thing. The fact that he's been one of my best friends for about ten years, shockingly, doesn't actually enter in my assessment of him as an LPer. No, seriously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6oI_h7-WIs

Un tends to cover games that are either extremely obscure, qualified cult classics, or just plain off-center. He's got a particular love affair with the Saturn, having done quite fantastic LPs of Astal, Dark Savior, and Princess Crown. As shown above, he's also done the fantastically bizarre Aquanaut's Holiday: Hidden Memories. I chose the above video specifically for his reaction starting about 4 minutes in, which is absolutely enthralling. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMDGlAbFyuk

One of the things I love about Un's LPs is his sheer, unflinching dedication to quality and informative content over all else. He is a very funny dude with a solidly dry wit, but what really makes his LPs is the attention to craft and the almost encyclopedic knowledge he displays regarding what seems like every goddamn game ever made. His earlier stuff isn't of the most fantastic quality audio-wise, but it's also compelling to watch him grow over time from 'pretty good' to 'actively fantastic' as he gets more of a handle on the technical details of his own setup.

He does have a few things I consider mild flaws, like his habit of reading dialogue aloud, but I don't really mind it that much because holy poo poo have you heard this dude's voice? He's like the glorious starchild of Walter Cronkite and Casey Kasem. The video linked above is a good example of a situation where it would be more or less mandatory, given he's playing a game where all the text is in Japanese and is actually consulting a translated script as he plays so the viewer knows what the hell is going on. And yes, he did that for the length of an entire game, just because he thought it deserved showing off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcWZn3_xACg

Part of what makes Un's stuff so good is all the poo poo he DOESN'T do. Scarecam? gently caress that. 'Ratecommentsubscribe' chants? Hell no. Day-1 LPs of new stuff everyone else is doing? Nope. Catchphrases? Nuh-uh. His entire style is characterized by a degree of shocking humility and serenity that borders on unheard of for youtube LPs. You very much get the sense that he's into this because he wants to showcase games he loves, and not just shill himself as a product to advertisers. If you're looking for something that feels a lot like Frankomatic or Nidoking's LPs, Un is pretty much who you want among Youtubers.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Agent Interrobang posted:

Let's talk about an awesome youtube LPer for a while, and one I personally think deserves a lot more exposure than he gets: Un, proprietor of I Played A Thing.

Thanks for a good writeup. I will check him out.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013
Not entirely "LP's" but I'm a big fan of both Sullla and T-Hawk's game reports. Sullla has a lot of learning articles, taking you through his experience of playing games from the start, to being really pretty drat good and he does a great job of showcasing the games he reports on. T-Hawk generally expects a higher level of knowledge on the part of readers for the games he writes about, but has done some crazy games, like Alpha Cenaturi 76 turn transcendence, or 1 million point Civ 4. It's often quite technical stuff, but I find it fascinating.

A youtuber called Nakateleeli was my first exposure to Let's Play. I still think he is pretty good. He puts effort into his videos(editing, good video quality etc.), does games he knows, doesn't leap onto new game bandwagons and is pretty funny and informative. His solo series's tend to be informative runs aiming for 100% completion, and he does more casual/comedic game runthroughs with a co-commentator on alternate days. Some of his stuff I've not liked. His minecraft LP was an attempt at a storyline thing, and I just found it kind of mortifying to watch when it kicked in; and some of the longer LP's he has done get boring. If you feel like giving him a try, I'd recommend some of his shorter LP's where he is less prone to running out of game stuff to talk about.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
If anyone hasn't seen the Conker's Bad Fur Day Director Commentary LP then I heartily recommend you do so at some point. The LP is done with a camera, so the visual quality is debatable, but the videos feature a slew of ex-Rareware developers who all offer commentary on how the game was made, their motivations for doing certain things in it, explanations for a few in-jokes, etc. Chris Seavor is a riot to listen to, particularly since he never censors himself in his contempt for the direction game development has gone over the past decade.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Idle Thumbs are a small group of guys in the videogame industry who do a pretty well respected podcast. It's very good but often they found themselves not having much shared game experiences so before recording a podcast they decided to stream a game together just to give them something they could all talk about. They then uploaded these streams (and podcasts) up the ol' youtubes.

These streams include;
The delightful Super Pole Riders, a game combining Pole Vaulting and soccer.

"Look at that Sun!"; a three video rampage through Farcry 2. These videos reminded me of the Freelance Astronauts in humour and energy.

The real draw for me though is the Epic of Ragnar, a video blind LP of Crusader Kings 2. You know, the game that's literally just looking at a map of Europe, North Africa and the Middle East that's rather complicated for beginners. It shouldn't work, it's a terrible idea. It's fantastic. The stream chat helps them with certain aspects but the players never rely on the chat, making their choices for good or bad. They get into the narrative and without overtly trying that much weave a funny and engaging story of gardening, conquest and wife murder.

Idles on Twitch.

Scott Manley
Scott, the Scottish-American and fellow goon is best known for his EVE Online and Kerbal Space Program videos. He really does some impressive stuff. I've only watched his KSP vids and he really is rather good both at the game and presenting it. Dude understands editing out tedious poo poo so we can get all the action as he sets up a 100% reusable space program (sadly ends due to bugs) or a manned mission to Kerbals version of Venus that involves landing a mobile lab, a submarine and a return launch vehicle for his four brave heroes. He's funny, capable and very knowledgeable on Astrophysics.

I know most of you will likely know the next two links already but gently caress it, if you don't, you should;
Giant Bombs Endurance runs. GB's Quick Looks and Endurance Runs are their big draw after the Bombcast. The QL's tend to be very good and well produced. There's a thread in Rapidly Going Deaf which has a list of must watch QLs.
Onto the ER's. Where QL's are half hour to an hour long the Endurance Runs go for the whole game, just like a real, grown up LP. They're usually blind or as close to blind that it makes no difference but they tend to move at a good pace. The first was Persona 4, run by Vinny and Jeff. They have a great chemistry and the game itself is great fun so it's easy to enjoy. My only warnings are that they don't cut out grinding but they keep the banter going so it's not bad and it's pretty long (over 100 hours).
The second was the dual Runs of Deadly Premonition by team Vinny and Jeff and team brad and Ryan. Vinny and Jeff probably have the funnier run and finish a bit faster but Brad and Ryan are still worth a look. If you enjoyed SuperGreatFriends LP I'd still say this is worth a look so you can see just how hard this game can be to non-experienced players.
Most recently Patrick Klepek and Ryan Davis ran Chrono Trigger. Less "laugh a second" than previous ER's it's still very good.
If you become a subscriber then check out Backflips and Bioforge as well.

Finally the gamespot twitch channel. Just watch any of the Randoms Encounters you can. Danny's start to finish run of VVVVVV is great, the stream of streams inception madness that was Salty Bet is also bananas. The real treasure though is Danny reading you Hatoful Boyfriend, a.k.a The Pigeon Visual Novel. The game is actually kind of funny in a weirdly dumb yet charming way and Danny handles it with fitting levels of confusion and moderate contempt. My only complaint is that he has a facecam, less a scarecam and more a "what the gently caress did I just read?" cam. It's a minor flaw but he has an Irish accent to make up for it.

I feel really recommending a bunch of Blind LPs and ending on a "The guy just reads everything off the screen" which are normally horrible but these folks really do it well thanks to great personalities, production values and enthusiasm.

Popo fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 10, 2013

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

On that note, go watch the developer commentary for Ratchet and Clank 2 and 3. I think 3 is finished, but I haven't watched the entire thing yet. A couple of devs got together to play it through, and they talk all about how the games went together and a lot of the other people involved. I wouldn't say it's necessarily a masterpiece of humour or technology or anything, but they show off a fair bit including easter eggs and stuff. I think they even confirm what we all knew in the the lava gun upgrade was really terrible and stupid.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Popo posted:

Giant Bomb

It's subscriber content, but since you mentioned Bioforge, I feel like it's also worth mentioning the currently ongoing Load Our Last Souls, in which Vinny loaded up his old Dark Souls save and is now trying to beat it. He has a couple of people (one who's beaten the game, the other has played more than Vinny has) to help guide him, so he never gets totally lost. They guide him just enough so it's not frustrating to watch, but not so much that they take all the fun out of a blind Dark Souls run. His save is more or less immediately after the Lord Vessel, so you miss out on the first half of the game, but it's still an entertaining watch.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

You know, before the DSP subject gets hammered on too much, I wanted to point something out. His YouTube Wiki (Yes, that's a real thing) continuously insists he was fired from a desk job at Sikorsky Aircraft in 2010 "Most likely due to the bad economy at the time."

I worked for a United Technologies company until last year, desk job layoffs were always super rare, especially in the US. Usually it was factory floor type people from across the company. In October of 2010 they fired 200 salaried people out of 20,000 Phil was apparently one.

You have to work incredibly hard to get fired from a UTC desk job. However, if he brings the personality from his videos into that job he would be gone at the first opportunity available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I sort of wonder about the thumbnails that show the facecammer somehow in the game, like this one:

I like to imagine them late at night, hunched over a stolen copy of Photoshop, crying into their Cheetos as they slowly adjust the layer mask, trying to get Mario's 3D sideburns aligned perfectly on their face.

• Locked thread