Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
I think this was a fairly common, in not scary, problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

A 206? Is it a special Japanese-market model?

Yep, it is.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Das Volk posted:

Before you guys take this any further, people like Aventari learned about things like this in school: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therac-25

Embedded systems are frequently proprietary and some COTS systems often don't even have as much testing as even some open source software. Mistakes can and do happen.

Ooh, okay. I retract the tone of my earlier comment then. The systems aren't untested but some components can be as good as.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

Falken posted:

Late (1986) 944s housed their batteries behind the left rear wheel well, so you'd have to open the boot/trunk to get to it. Now, this wouldn't *normally* be an issue however the overly complicated and redundant boot locking mechanism on late model 944s just looooves to fail.

My hatch opens normally once in a blue moon, otherwise I have to climb in over the rear seats and pry the fucker. Really need to rip the entire mechanism out and see if I can shoehorn an early model 944 mech in. AS IT loving WORKS.

The two 86 944's I own both had the battery under the hood but behind the firewall and above the two ecu's. Usually after 20+ years of neglect that every 944 receives, rust forms in the battery tray and water will eventually drip onto the ecu.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

General_Failure posted:

But drums will get a car stopped just fine. Where they tend to fall over are situations that require a lot of repeated braking, like perhaps spirited driving on twisties, or going down a mountain where engine braking isn't enough for some reason.

I do in fact plan on running mine up and down the mountains quite a bit. Also, the car sat in a field for 30 years, the entire brake system had to be replaced either way, so why not spend the extra :20bux: and go full disk vs trying to source a set of 50 year old drums.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Slavvy posted:

Oh you! :allears:

A 'software glitch' (whatever that even means) can't cause your throttle to stick open. Drive by wire has two entirely separate monitoring circuits for the accelerator pedal sensor and two separate circuits monitoring the actual throttle position. If the difference between those two voltages becomes anything other than whatever value the designer picked, the entire electronic throttle system immediately shuts down/goes into limp home where a physical spring holds the throttle open a small amount just to be able to creep the car out of harm's way.

As for emergency shutoff, the ignition button on most push-button cars I've seen has roughly the same number of wires going into it as your physical ignition switch and has about the same stuck-on failure rate (read: almost loving never). But lets say your button fails and you can't stop the car. Luckily, if you mash the brake more than a certain amount while the engine ecu is giving it throttle, the esc system (a completely different system) realises that something isn't right, commandeers the engine and immediately cuts engine power. You don't even need to over-power the engine with the brakes like on an old car; it literally just stops making power.

The argument you make about luxury cars is a valid one, but by and large most of the things that fail which noone wants to deal with are non-safety-critical systems. When was the last time you saw an airbag in a car equipped with a dozen of them go off randomly and kill someone? BUT THE COMPUTER GLITCHES THEY MIGHT MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!

No. The car logs a code and a light comes up and you replace an expensive part. Noone gets hurt.

Yeah, uh, the difference is that a mechanical ignition switch just straight up cuts power. The "soft" ones just tell the computer to cut power.

If that computer gets confused (say, because it's now ten or twenty years old and the decoupling capacitors keeping the power supply for the MCU stable are running up against their expected lifetime, so the supply is somewhat noisy and the MCU sometimes gets lost) it could quite simply not be awake/aware to listen to the signal saying to turn the ignition off.

These are the things we (say, me and aventari, who are both embedded systems/software engineers, hell, I have a CAN bus transmission shift control module for a prototype vehicle my company is building on my other two monitors as I type this, it is quite literally a life or death design) think about, because if we don't, and the people who review the design don't, and the people who QA/test/validate the design don't, something could slip through and people could literally die because we hosed up.

Aaaaaanyways. Here is a montage of "why you don't move a vehicle when an axle ujoint or shaft ear breaks":
Before it got moved (balljoints are slightly separated, but still holding)

Then they tried to drag it out of the obstacle it was in to fix it in a more convenient location and...

Don't do that!

Bonus, here is another dude's dana 30 front differential:

That broke from shock loading (sudden transfer of torque from the rear to the front diff) when the rear driveshaft popped a ujoint/ujoint retention straps.

Here is another dana 30 suffering from too-big-tires-itis:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Falken posted:

Late (1986) 944s housed their batteries behind the left rear wheel well

Only the ones with the steering wheel on the incorrect side.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
The elusive SHELB Mustang.

Seconds later it roared limped across the street on 7 cylinders.

Also, the rear window was completely missing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
How to make your safety inspector die from laughter:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mazda-MX-5-Miata-RHD-Mazda-Eunos-Roadster-1990-jdm-rhd-mazda-miata-mx-5-eunos-/321196158465

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Holy poo poo that's terrifying. That pre-crushed pipe right behind your head sure is going to do great things in a crash.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I know literally nothing about proper cage construction [aside from what I've learned in posts in this thread] but holy poo poo those welds look horrible and that cage looks atrocious. :stare:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Did he recycle an HVAC vent cutout for that diagonal tube's ingress into the dash? Brilliant.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
What the hell is that made out of, exhaust tubing? EMT?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

kastein posted:

What the hell is that made out of, exhaust tubing? EMT?

PVC :unsmigghh:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
The second that cage takes any kind of pressure it's going to explode violently, isn't it? Those welds look like the pipes are an inch away from each other and just bridged with gigantic piles of hideous welds

e. oh god and the crushed ends on those pipes by the welds good gracious

e2. I will admit the vent in the dash thing is kind of cute in a way

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
My only cage knowledge comes from these threads, so pardon the stupid questions.

Is that mid-car loop tube actually crooked or is that just a trick of the camera angle? And if it is crooked (assuming all other welds were not poo poo), would that necessarily be a problem?

If the welds weren't poo poo and the tubes properly notched instead of crimped AND it wasn't electrical conduit/exhaust pipe, could this design be a good cage or is the tube placement that bad?

The tube the drivers seat is connected to... if the car got into an accident, couldn't that end up twisting your back and being really really bad?

quote:

Needs: roll cage to be bolted in the rear (currently bolted in the front), alignment (I may have it done before the final purchase), body work (if you want it show car perfect), seat brackets if you want to bolt the NRG carbon fiber seat to the floor.
Aren't both of these, oh I don't know, really loving important?

And how the hell is this car "street legal"? Were the modifications done after the last inspection?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
No there is a lot wrong with that even if it was built properly. No front/door bars, no dash bar, and that big x rear brace thing is mounted way farther back than it needs to be.

There's no way that was ever used as an "enduro racer" because it wouldn't pass tech.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

The best shot:

That harness is terrifying.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I'd love to see someone buy that thing and put it through a series of crash tests with a dummy and post the video.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Paging Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester, your welder is working side jobs.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Pham Nuwen posted:

Paging Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester, your welder is working side jobs.

Why are the roll cage joints so...crushed? That looks like a bag of poo poo.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Are you sure those are actual welds, and not just, like, painted bondo-globs?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
So no-one else is bothered by the rear bulkhead being totally cut out to make room for the deathcage? Unless the body is designed way differently to the way I think it is it's probably as floppy as a wet noodle.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

General_Failure posted:

So no-one else is bothered by the rear bulkhead being totally cut out to make room for the deathcage? Unless the body is designed way differently to the way I think it is it's probably as floppy as a wet noodle.

too much fail going on with the actual cage for anyone to notice the little things :)

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I actually noticed the rear bulkhead being missing first, but that horrible abomination of a cage kinda took over all my attention. Why are the ends crushed like that? It almost looks like instead of cutting the tubing to fit they just smashed it flat and bent it to create two bars from one, and then welded the entire mangled tube to the main hoop. Please someone tell me I'm wrong here.

Quick and dirty edit to show what I mean:

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 10, 2013

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

Terrible Robot posted:

I actually noticed the rear bulkhead being missing first, but that horrible abomination of a cage kinda took over all my attention. Why are the ends crushed like that? It almost looks like instead of cutting the tubing to fit they just smashed it flat and bent it to create two bars from one, and then welded the entire mangled tube to the main hoop. Please someone tell me I'm wrong here.

I don't disagree, but how the making GBS threads gently caress is that easier than cutting it?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
That looks almost exactly like the tubing used for cyclone fencing.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

:stare: Jesus gently caress I think you're right. Chew up the middle of a soda straw and you can make bends *exactly* like that.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Terrible Robot posted:

Amazing.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

But, a single piece is stronger, right guys?

It's like, a billet cage or something. :smuggo:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
"I just blue myself"

quote:

My fiancé and I have a 1995 Honda Civic - Completely Remodeled for sale. It has 560HP, Lamborghini Doors, Clarion Sub/Amp, a drop down TV screen with PS3 hookups. (and much, much more) There is some damage to back bumper, it will be shown in the pictures. The car was an impulse purchase, with hopes of getting into the car world, but life took us in a different direction. Neither of us know to much about it, so as for specifics we are open to having viewings with any prospective buyers. We are open to Reasonable offers, but are not going to humor/answer anything unreasonable. As for questions regarding it we would prefer for you to come and see it for yourself, so you can know what it entails. (As we are not aware of all details)
It may seem silly, but I figured I would put it all out there up front and advise if your interested to call and book a viewing.
Phone # 817-5796 or 830-5975

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-Completely-Re-Done-1995-Honda-Civic-560HP-Lambo-Doors-W0QQAdIdZ531740238

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Every ricer stereotype, every dumb oval office stereotype and the spirit of this thread encapsulated in one vehicle. If you look at it from another perspective, it's a masterpiece.

Eight THOUSAND dollars.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I don't even know where to begin with that thing. That interior is... and that... and the... gently caress it really is this_thread.jpg.

Maybe what bugs me the most is the rear end end of it. It's just zero effort styling. It's like they looked at the rear end end of a skyline [which I assume is the inspiration for most round tail light mods like that] and said "yep, round tail lights, that's the only reason that looks nice" and they made the back of that "civic" totally flat and cut six holes for round lights and called it good.

e. and they put 350z headlights on that, didn't they

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 11, 2013

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Crustashio posted:

"I just blue myself"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68ugkg9RePc

TRANS AM 20000
Apr 17, 2010

Time to punch it!

How many things can you possibly monitor that warrant having so many gauges? Why?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

General Wiggles posted:

How many things can you possibly monitor that warrant having so many gauges? Why?

Clearly at least one of them is this one.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The thing I'm most upset about is that whatever retard bought that wasn't around to buy my cars without asking any questions or, apparently, arguing prices.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

General Wiggles posted:

Obviously you've never had to monitor 560hp.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Crustashio posted:

"I just blue myself"

What's going on with that head unit? Is it just floating there like magic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Clearly at least one of them is this one.

Then why isn't it pegged to redline? Oh, because none of them are working.