Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
Same thing is happening in China and South Africa already. South Africa's stadia are all but deserted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I can't help but think it would be more cost-effective to select a country to host a permanent Olympics site. It's pretty clear at this point that the one-off of the Olympics never brings in enough money to offset the cost of building all the infrastructure, a lot of which never gets used again.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

sepp blatter puts any north american sports figure to shame. not only is he objectively racist and sexist his corruption is both complete and transparent. he paid african delegates $100,000 a piece to vote for him in his 1998 election to the fifa presidency. through an intermediate. the delegate from qatar. where the next world cup is being held. the delegate from qatar who was later suspended for ethics violations.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

Redeye Flight posted:

I can't help but think it would be more cost-effective to select a country to host a permanent Olympics site. It's pretty clear at this point that the one-off of the Olympics never brings in enough money to offset the cost of building all the infrastructure, a lot of which never gets used again.

They're getting a little smarter; IOC and FIFA are kinda, sorta working together. They gave Brazil the 2014 World Cup and the 2016 Olympics, which should help cover some of the costs. Russia got the 2018 games and is hosting the winter games in 2014, so Sochi's Olympic stadium should get some double-use. Since Qatar is getting the 2022 World Cup, it's possible they also get the 2024 Olympics, but the ban on gays may be a far more serious issue for Olympics.

Still, it's justification for a pretty lovely process and the exploitation of slowly developing countries who should absolutely be spending this money on infrastructure rather than international sports.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

The broken bones posted:

They're getting a little smarter; IOC and FIFA are kinda, sorta working together. They gave Brazil the 2014 World Cup and the 2016 Olympics, which should help cover some of the costs. Russia got the 2018 games and is hosting the winter games in 2014, so Sochi's Olympic stadium should get some double-use. Since Qatar is getting the 2022 World Cup, it's possible they also get the 2024 Olympics, but the ban on gays may be a far more serious issue for Olympics.

Still, it's justification for a pretty lovely process and the exploitation of slowly developing countries who should absolutely be spending this money on infrastructure rather than international sports.

Hell, we could put the Olympics in loving Greece, which is where they originated. Greece still has most of the infrastructure and it would cost a lot less to refurbish the poo poo that's deteriorated than building all-new poo poo. It'd also give a huge, regular cash boost to Greece's economy, which is primarily tourist-based anyway.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

The broken bones posted:

Since Qatar is getting the 2022 World Cup, it's possible they also get the 2024 Olympics, but the ban on gays may be a far more serious issue for Olympics.

Maybe 10 more years of social change will make a difference, but Russia has basically banned homosexuality and they're in no danger of losing the games.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

Redeye Flight posted:

Hell, we could put the Olympics in loving Greece, which is where they originated. Greece still has most of the infrastructure and it would cost a lot less to refurbish the poo poo that's deteriorated than building all-new poo poo. It'd also give a huge, regular cash boost to Greece's economy, which is primarily tourist-based anyway.

They did in 2004. Unless you're saying put it there permanently? Which would be nice for historical accuracy.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

dshban posted:

They did in 2004. Unless you're saying put it there permanently? Which would be nice for historical accuracy.

Yeah, that's what I'm getting at. Making Greece the permanent location invokes all kinds of callbacks to the historical Olympics and the shared Greek dickli--I mean, heritage that all or most modern nations aspire to. That it would provide a nice permanent boost to the Greek economy, which as mentioned is VERY strongly tourist-based, would also be a big positive.

The downside is that other countries would stop getting that cash infusion, but as already discussed that infusion isn't enough to offset the cost of rebuilding international-capacity infrastructure every 20 years or so. It also raises the question as to where to put the Winter Olympics, since Greece's winters are pretty mild and not looking to get colder thanks to climate change.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Oct 10, 2013

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
They're not going to stop moving the Olympics around because it's not about money. Countries want to show off to the rest of the world, meanwhile the Olympic committee gets to be treated like tiny kings. Nobody has ever consulted or will ever consult any of the people who actually need that cash. Just like nobody's ever going to consult the homeless people that always get rounded up.

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007

Mornacale posted:

They're not going to stop moving the Olympics around because it's not about money. Countries want to show off to the rest of the world, meanwhile the Olympic committee gets to be treated like tiny kings. Nobody has ever consulted or will ever consult any of the people who actually need that cash. Just like nobody's ever going to consult the homeless people that always get rounded up.
It's really become the modern equivalent of the World's Fair (not that there aren't World's Fairs anymore, just nobody gives a poo poo the way they used to)

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

AceFace905 posted:

It's really become the modern equivalent of the World's Fair (not that there aren't World's Fairs anymore, just nobody gives a poo poo the way they used to)

Shanghai hosted a World Expo in 2010 and the site for that is like a military complex now. That city is so vibrant and amazing, but the Expo location is off to one side, separate from everything and it seems completely abandoned. That was only three years ago, I can only imagine what it will look like in a decade.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Remember Rick Reilly's father-in-law who was totally cool with the Redskins name? Well, he isn't behind that name in the slightest.
http://deadspin.com/rick-reillys-am...dium=socialflow

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Rick Reilly has to be fired. Either he deliberately and completely misrepresented someone or he's too stupid to comprehend basic human interaction.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ElwoodCuse posted:

Rick Reilly has to be fired. Either he deliberately and completely misrepresented someone or he's too stupid to comprehend basic human interaction.
He should be fired on general principle anyway.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

ElwoodCuse posted:

I don't see how this can be walked back so yeah

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That is way down on the list of reasons to fire him, but sure.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

ElwoodCuse posted:

His father in law wrote that he has repeatedly asked Reilly to correct his column by putting his words in context. Rick has refused to do so. He's just a turd.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
I just keep thinking about what Reilly's wife must be thinking and oh man.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Emanuel Collective posted:

His father in law wrote that he has repeatedly asked Reilly to correct his column by putting his words in context. Rick has refused to do so. He's just a turd.

No see, Doug Gottlieb knows that he didn't misunderstand his father in laws words, what REALLY happened was all of his friends called him up and were like DUDE its racist and that the elder council of the tribe is basically just like the NCAA board of regents and leaned on him to do this. God dammit why do I listen to sports radio.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

At least don't listen to Doug Gottlieb jesus christ

E; Satisfying answers!

https://twitter.com/ReillyRick/status/388441470350680064

Rick Reilly posted:

While I stand by the reporting in my Sept. 18 column about the Washington Redskins nickname controversy, and felt I accurately quoted my father-in-law in the piece, clearly he feels differently. This is an incredibly sensitive issue, and Bob felt he had more to say on the subject after that column was posted on ESPN.com. We've spoken and cleared this up. I admire Bob and respect his opinions, and he's welcome to express them. Bob and I are good and I'm looking forward to my next steak with him.

:munch:

Jackie D fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 11, 2013

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Holy poo poo, PFTCommenter is killing it.

PFTCommenter posted:

no offence but who didnt see it coming that the Indian guy woud go back on his own word

quote:

not 2 be racist

quote:

Next thing u no well find out Riley doesnt think teeth are funny at all smh

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Groucho Marxist posted:

Remember Rick Reilly's father-in-law who was totally cool with the Redskins name? Well, he isn't behind that name in the slightest.
http://deadspin.com/rick-reillys-am...dium=socialflow

It's not even a slight mischaracterization of his opinion. It's just the complete opposite.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Holy poo poo, PFTCommenter is killing it.

PFTCommenter posted:

no offence but who didnt see it coming that the Indian guy woud go back on his own word

So perfect that I almost assume he pulled that from an actual PFT comment.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
Do you think that Adrian Peterson is to blame for his son's brutal, unthinkable murder? Because he got a speeding ticket and stuck around in a club too long? Because he had a child out of wedlock? Because Peterson's own father was a criminal? No? Well Phil Mushnick is here to blow your mind:

Son's Death Doesn't Make Adrian Peterson A Great Person posted:

We in the media — especially those working event broadcasts — have a horrible habit of blindly or wishfully reporting great achievers are additionally blessed: They’re great humans.
Among many others, we did it with Tiger Woods and Lance Armstrong. Last year, we began to do it with Adrian Peterson, before, and then after, he was selected the NFL’s MVP. With every big game — 2,037 running yards worth — the media bloated his profile: There runs Superman, a super guy, too.
“We talked with him after practice, and let me tell you this and that about Adrian Peterson.” “Adrian Peterson still finds time to do charity work in the Twin Cities area.” Blah, blah and blah. Good equals goodness.
Thus it was unsurprising Peterson’s downside went ignored. In 2009, he was busted for driving 109 mph in a 55 mph zone. He dismissed that as no big deal, which was doubly disturbing — his older, full brother was killed by a reckless driver.
Last summer, Peterson was in a club when he and friends were informed that it was closing time, past 2 a.m. Apparently, Peterson and pals felt they would decide when it was time to close. The police report noted three cops were needed to subdue Peterson.
He spent the rest of the night in jail, arrested for resisting arrest (a charge that was later dismissed).
Of course, we all have to operate from are our own set of values, our personal sense of right from wrong. Perhaps, given current standards among NFL players — mostly college men, no less — Peterson qualifies as a man of good character.
Still, I’m stuck with what I’ve got. And it’s sickening the NFL’s latest MVP, hours after his son died — allegedly murdered — declared he was “ready to roll,” ready to play football.
Me? I’d be fighting for breath, my knees weak with grief, demanding to know why, who, how. Then, I suspect, I’d seethe with rage, swearing retribution. I even think I’d take off a day or two from work. Maybe a week.
The suspect in the beating murder of Peterson’s 2-year-old is the boyfriend of Peterson’s “baby mama” — now the casual, flippant, detestable and common buzz-phrase for absentee, wham-bam fatherhood.
The accused, Joseph Patterson, previously was hit with domestic assault and abuse charges.
With his resources, how could Peterson, the NFL’s MVP, have allowed his son to remain in such an environment? Did he not know, or not care? Or not care to know? Or not know to care?
Peterson couldn’t have provided his son a better life, a longer life?
Money can’t buy love, but having signed a $96 million deal, he could not have provided his child — apparently his second from a “baby mama” — a safe home?
But given Peterson’s father did hard time for drug money laundering, and his half-brother was murdered, maybe we’re both stuck with the values in which we were born, raised.

On Friday, Peterson said he was “focused” on football. On Sunday, he played. But it’s not as if murder doesn’t now regularly afflict the NFL.
Maybe Peterson’s son is just one more stands-to-reason murder victim, just another child born to just another “baby mama,” one more kid who never had a shot, anyway. Maybe, by now, even if we can’t accept it, we can expect it.

http://nypost.com/2013/10/13/sons-death-doesnt-make-adrian-peterson-a-great-person/?utm_source=SFnewyorkpost&utm_medium=SFnewyorkpost

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Do you think that Adrian Peterson is to blame for his son's brutal, unthinkable murder? Because he got a speeding ticket and stuck around in a club too long? Because he had a child out of wedlock? Because Peterson's own father was a criminal? No? Well Phil Mushnick is here to blow your mind:

http://nypost.com/2013/10/13/sons-death-doesnt-make-adrian-peterson-a-great-person/?utm_source=SFnewyorkpost&utm_medium=SFnewyorkpost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M86c6DqaHTw

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

that's maybe the most despicable thing I've ever read.

e: I mean I know he's a NY Post writer and they're all shooting for the lowest common denominator, but seriously, that lowered the bar quite a bit.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

The broken bones posted:

that's maybe the most despicable thing I've ever read.

After seeing the Post link and the title I knew it was Mushnick and decided not to read it. Mushnick is a crotchety "back in my day where white men ruled the world" kind of concern troll.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

I stopped reading him a few years ago. He's literally a broken record who works for a newspaper that contradicts a lot of what he says. I feel like my life is better for it.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Having never heard of this guy, I think you folks that said you stopped reading him with a mild "oh he's crotchety and trolly" dismissal should at least upgrade your dismissal to "this dude is a real piece of poo poo", because man is that a creepy, awful hit piece.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I wonder how that dude feels about welfare programs (hint he only thinks the children of wealthy nfl players deserve to be provided for)

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Reformed Pissboy posted:

Having never heard of this guy, I think you folks that said you stopped reading him with a mild "oh he's crotchety and trolly" dismissal should at least upgrade your dismissal to "this dude is a real piece of poo poo", because man is that a creepy, awful hit piece.

Last year in this thread we brought up his racist piece on the Brooklyn Nets logo. And nothing came of it.

http://nypost.com/2012/05/04/dont-rely-on-media-to-evaluate-bad-behavior/#ixzz1tv7HYjXM

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Reformed Pissboy posted:

I've been reading Mushnick since I was a kid. I'm going to guess he wrote something vaguely racist and sexist, and severely out of touch, that contradicted and criticized a media narrative on a hot button issue. Is that about right? He's been doing that gimmick for at least 20 or 25 years, probably longer.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Vertical Lime posted:

Last year in this thread we brought up his racist piece on the Brooklyn Nets logo. And nothing came of it.

http://nypost.com/2012/05/04/dont-rely-on-media-to-evaluate-bad-behavior/#ixzz1tv7HYjXM

Casual racism is a dime a dozen in journalism, but pissing on the grave of a dead child and a mourning father is pretty cutting edge. People are right that Mushnick has been a troll for years, though he mostly focused on the WWE and nobody paid attention. He's been expanding his range in old age.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

jeffersonlives posted:

I've been reading Mushnick since I was a kid. I'm going to guess he wrote something vaguely racist and sexist, and severely out of touch, that contradicted and criticized a media narrative on a hot button issue. Is that about right? He's been doing that gimmick for at least 20 or 25 years, probably longer.

That doesn't strike me as a "gimmick".

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Casual racism is a dime a dozen in journalism, but pissing on the grave of a dead child and a mourning father is pretty cutting edge. People are right that Mushnick has been a troll for years, though he mostly focused on the WWE and nobody paid attention. He's been expanding his range in old age.

Mushnick has been writing crazy racist things about NBA players for like 10 years plus at this point. Maybe outside of New York nobody paid attention but his AP column is just an extension of his ~NBA thug~ rage.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

FIFA and FIA put anything that North America can come up with to shame.
Brazil's governing body for soccer has been so spectacularly corrupt over the course of history that for at least one year in the 1990s the top Brazilian league had to be organized by a third party because the Brazilian FA had too many of its resources tied up in lawsuits that were filed against it.

It also gave the world Joao Havelange, who transformed FIFA from an administrative body into what it is today.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
The NYTimes has a good article up right now about 'clutch' hitters. Nothing surprising to most SAS readers but it's nice to have a lot of evidence laid out. Turns out good hitters are generally good and clutch is mostly perception.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mozi posted:

The NYTimes has a good article up right now about 'clutch' hitters. Nothing surprising to most SAS readers but it's nice to have a lot of evidence laid out. Turns out good hitters are generally good and clutch is mostly perception.
Unsurprisingly nearly every single comment is "You're wrong because intangibles, NERD!!!"

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Buster Olney wrote this short paragraph today that made my eyes bleed, enjoy.

quote:

Cabrera is regarded with awe by other players and is generally known as the best hitter on the planet. He can't run and he's a right-handed hitter, and despite those disadvantages, he's won three straight American League batting titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

leokitty posted:

Buster Olney wrote this short paragraph today that made my eyes bleed, enjoy.
He put two completely different thoughts into one short paragraph, and added an extra comma as well. It reads like ninth-grader wrote it.