Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
They're currently in the middle of bumfuck nowhere, days from the nearest coastline, so I'm sure Durkon can prepare multiple Wind Walks if that's the strategy they go with. Besides, he can use Gaseous Form indefinitely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'd like to see someone try to force Durkon to Transport via Plant. I'm not sure if this would be funnier earlier, or funnier now that he is a vampire.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Couldn't they just cast flight on the dinosaur?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Can you fit a T-Rex into a bag of holding, breathing issues aside?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

World Famous Whore posted:

Can you fit a T-Rex into a bag of holding, breathing issues aside?

I think a dinosaur would weigh too much even for the largest bag of holding, and it would be almost impossible to get it inside one in the first place.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

jng2058 posted:

The problem with Wind Walk is that you transform into an insubstantial mist form that gets blown around by magical wind. That makes it hard to carry things.

He could just cast the spell twice if they really want to bring the Dinosaur. Wouldn't he need another one for Mr. Scruffy and Blackwing anyways, or are they just going to travel in FamiliarSpace?

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
We've already seen the Order going out of their way to help Mr. Scruffy so I think the alternate dimension FamiliarSpace they disappear to no longer applies here. Too bad they don't have Azurite Pokeball technology. Blackwing could just fly provided he gets some decent meals along the way--after all, plenty of real birds migrate between continents twice a year.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Ravens aren't distance flyers. They don't migrate as far as I know. The are hella agile though.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Familiars count as equipment/self when they need to, according to the rules. Mr scruffy is not so lucky.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Eifert Posting posted:

Ravens aren't distance flyers. They don't migrate as far as I know. The are hella agile though.

There's also the part where Windwalk means cruising along continuously at 60mph for Durkon's level in hours. I think that's a bit much for a bird (though also a moot point given the above).

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What is the air speed velocity of an unladen Raven?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

greatn posted:

What is the air speed velocity of an unladen Raven?

Plot :v:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Familiars get the same buffs their masters get through the Share Spells ability, so Blackwing could fly as effortlessly as V.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
:siren: New comic! 924: Resource Management :siren:

Looks like we're not done yet!

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Well, it looks like we now know how and why the T-Rex will die. This should be pretty awesome.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
This is gonna be great :allears:

Lamhirh
Sep 8, 2012
We've got a new plot point with Laurin's favor! I would be thrilled if we spent another book in the desert dealing with all of this. Tarquin's party is great.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Looks like this thing is getting settled!

I'm getting some subtle vibes off Tarquin's buddies that they might have started to consider him a liability and plan to nip that in the bud. Can't really point to anything in particular as a clear indication for that, except maybe that when people in OotS say things like "by all means, mighty general" it rarely ends well for at least one party involved.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh no, what if something happens to Tarquin and that's the end of The Order of the Tarquin? He's just so awesome and interesting and not played out at all you guys.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

Looks like this thing is getting settled!

I'm getting some subtle vibes off Tarquin's buddies that they might have started to consider him a liability and plan to nip that in the bud. Can't really point to anything in particular as a clear indication for that, except maybe that when people in OotS say things like "by all means, mighty general" it rarely ends well for at least one party involved.

Actually I got the opposite vibe. Rich used this strip to point out how a Lawful/Neutral Evil party would work in terms of co-operation; mutual self-interest. The other two aren't helping out Tarquin 'just because', he calls in a favour off one of them and Laurin demands a future favour in exchange for her help. There's no greater cause or altruism binding them, just trust and a structured system of obligation that lets them call upon each other.

'Evil characters are rational and nuanced' being a drum that Rich likes to bang over and over again.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I really, really hope that Roy cleaves Tarquin the gently caress in half.

It would be a fitting end for that jerk.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Anyone familiar with that wormhole power? Psychoportation seems like a discipline that would take a lot of psionic power points. Especially if you already held one big enough for trexs open long enough for an army.

Also, Belkar still has Tarquin's axe, right?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

greatn posted:

Anyone familiar with that wormhole power? Psychoportation seems like a discipline that would take a lot of psionic power points. Especially if you already held one big enough for trexs open long enough for an army.

Also, Belkar still has Tarquin's axe, right?

I can't find any Power similar to the effects of the Wormhole in the SRD, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be an Epic Power or a researched one. As for power cost, a 9th level power costs 17pp (but can be augmented) while an Epic Psion has 343pp base. If she has a low Intelligence stat for an Epic character, say 20, that's a bonus 50pp for a total of 393pp, which lets her cast 23 9th level powers with a few pp left over. So it's not like she doesn't have the points for a few manifestings. And if it's an Epic Power, then it costs no points:

d20srd.org posted:

Just as spellcasters use no spell slots to cast epic spells, psionic characters use no power points to manifest epic powers. Instead, they freely manifest their known epic powers a number of times per day equal to their Knowledge (psionics) skill divided by 10 (round down).

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

You know, I should have realized Tarquin would be getting back into play...why else spend a panel re-arming him with the whip if he was never going to use it?

On one hand Tarquin stood off the whole Order (less V) by himself, and with Miron and Laurin to back him up he'll be that much tougher. On the other hand, V is here this time and with many or even most of her spells intact AND Durkon's become Durkula.

Should be an interesting fight.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Even Belkar's death is back on the table since none of Tarquin's team use arrows or projectiles.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
Why do I think Laurin's favor is of the sexual kind?

Also I'm interested in seeing how nasty of a badass Miron is. I mean, all three of them saw the Order fight, and they're still pretty confident, and I don't think it's hubris.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Who What Now posted:

I can't find any Power similar to the effects of the Wormhole in the SRD, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be an Epic Power or a researched one. As for power cost, a 9th level power costs 17pp (but can be augmented) while an Epic Psion has 343pp base. If she has a low Intelligence stat for an Epic character, say 20, that's a bonus 50pp for a total of 393pp, which lets her cast 23 9th level powers with a few pp left over. So it's not like she doesn't have the points for a few manifestings. And if it's an Epic Power, then it costs no points:

Ah, the only time I messed with phonics was way back in second edition, and psychoportation schools took a poo poo ton of pp's. Also was broken, having powers such as unrestricted time travel.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

None of Tarquin's team is Epic, but they're certainly very high level.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Noah posted:

Good question, why do you think that?

More seriously, establishing the favor thing makes me think they probably won't be killed in the upcoming confrontation, just so that we can have a chance to see what that favor is. Of course, asking for a favor might just be a plot device to help explain why Tarquin's party members now want to get involved and show how they normally operate, without actually getting explored. Or maybe it'll be some kind of end-of-arc gag once they're dead? Cut to her daughter and she's complaining about a tax audit, or something?

Whatever happens, this should really be it for the Tarquin plot. Of all the things he's inheriting from Nale, staying well past the point the plot should've moved on isn't something he should keep.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Noah posted:

Because you're a pervert. :shrug:

I think her favor is buying a ticket for her daughter to the Eastern Continent, or some other safety-guaranteeing measure.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Man I have no idea how the Order is supposed to survive this one.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Colonel Cool posted:

Ian saves them.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Glory of Arioch posted:

Because you're a pervert. :shrug:

I think her favor is buying a ticket for her daughter to the Eastern Continent, or some other safety-guaranteeing measure.

Yeah it's almost assuredly something Tarquinn can do to make her daughter safe, that seems to be pretty much her #1 priority.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Colonel Cool posted:

Maybe Tarquin and co aren't really as high level as they think they are compared to the order. Plus they are outnumbered, and the orders HP total seems to have been going up, not down throughout this fight. Plus v has many spells one failed saving throw away from killing any of these guys, plus Durkon can dominate these guys with one failed will save. Haley can icy burst at any time with a lucky roll.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Tarquin single-handedly messed up the entire OotS.

And he's the fighter.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

inthesto posted:

Tarquin single-handedly messed up the entire OotS.

And he's the fighter.

Single handedly if you count air support, and no wizard. And then later the same order messed up his entire party sans cleric.

Miko single handedly messed up the entire order too, once.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

greatn posted:

Single handedly if you count air support, and no wizard. And then later the same order messed up his entire party sans cleric.

Miko single handedly messed up the entire order too, once.
Also worth noting that Tarquin disoriented the hell out of the Order by pretending to be Thog and thus catching them off-guard when he actually fought with skill and tactics.

I do hope that Roy's the one to take Tarquin down, though. Aside from Tarquin's hubris, it'd be genuinely interesting to see two smart fighters engage in serious combat.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Paul.Power posted:

Also worth noting that Tarquin disoriented the hell out of the Order by pretending to be Thog and thus catching them off-guard when he actually fought with skill and tactics.

I do hope that Roy's the one to take Tarquin down, though. Aside from Tarquin's hubris, it'd be genuinely interesting to see two smart fighters engage in serious combat.

Roy with bonuses from Elan's inspire greatness or heroics. Or possibly Elan countersonging the gently caress out of some visual or audio based psionic attacks, or fascinating and suggesting something to someone.

Cause I guess this is kind of Elan's moment to shine if anyone's.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Elan could win this fight because Tarquin's going to want him surviving. Just keep walking in the line of enemy fire, Elan, they have to pull their shots!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

nimby posted:

Elan could win this fight because Tarquin's going to want him surviving. Just keep walking in the line of enemy fire, Elan, they have to pull their shots!

Grab a board, tie Elan to it, use it as a shield!