Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Panty drop gauge bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Expedition for size comparison. The hitch receiver was about the height of my face while sitting in my car :stare:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 11, 2013

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Put a watermelon in his tailpipe.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

"Please be aware that this car does *not* shoot pink flames out of the exhaust when you shift gears, and it seems to be missing it's Manifold warning system laptop. Also, I have pushed every button I could find while driving but have not yet found the one that activates the NOS. The system may have disabled itself because it can't warn me when my manifold is in danger, but my fiancée and I are not really car people, so we don't know.

I'm pretty sure these things can be easily fixed by fitting a new laptop and getting a tune up."

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Previa_fun posted:

Put a watermelon in his tailpipe.

Need something bigger. I could probably fit my head in there.

I'm just glad he didn't have a smoke tune.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The thing I'm most upset about is that whatever retard bought that wasn't around to buy my cars without asking any questions or, apparently, arguing prices.

Tell me about it. I'm trying to see if anyone wants to trade an older stock civic/corolla/etc +cash for my e46 330ci sport. It's like pulling teeth. No, I will not straight trade for a stock DX sedan with the same mileage.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

560hp on that loving Civic ahahahahahahahha

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

some texas redneck posted:

Expedition for size comparison. The hitch receiver was about the height of my face while sitting in my car :stare:

I really can't understand how these things are allowed to drive on public roads.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Bovril Delight posted:

With O pictures of the highly modified engine.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Bovril Delight posted:

I wonder if thats before the NOS!

I just picture them being super excited about their car purchase only to suffer the slow and painful realisation that they had made a horrible horrible mistake.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bovril Delight posted:

Dyno pics or it didn't happen.

tobu posted:

I just picture them being super excited about their car purchase only to suffer the slow and painful realisation that they had made a horrible horrible mistake.

"What do you mean it only has 110 HP?"

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Pham Nuwen posted:

Paging Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester, your welder is working side jobs.
I'd just like to point out that having raced a full season on that frame, at least 2 people we're competing with broke their frames or front ends, and we've had not even a bend, despite running into a wall twice. I win you lose. Boom.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Mitchard posted:

I really can't understand how these things are allowed to drive on public roads.

Texas plates :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The blue Honda has a Clarion amp. That's the icing on the very delicious cake of tears and lies.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

He rode the lightning.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Anything in particular wrong with Clarion? The OEM stereo in my car is a Clarion, and I have no complaints.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Tekne posted:

He rode the lightning.

Has anyone confirmed this to be the actual first wrecked C7? Any more info/shots?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

davebo posted:

Has anyone confirmed this to be the actual first wrecked C7? Any more info/shots?

The first civilian one maybe, there was that one that spun out on a desert road in Utah or some such and another one that was t-boned by a Lincoln Town Car at an intersection but those were all manufacturer demo/test cars.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kastein posted:

Aaaaaanyways. Here is a montage of "why you don't move a vehicle when an axle ujoint or shaft ear breaks":
Before it got moved (balljoints are slightly separated, but still holding)

Then they tried to drag it out of the obstacle it was in to fix it in a more convenient location and...

Don't do that!

I don't get why that would break. The axle shaft provides a rotational force and tension along its axis, but has no strength in either the vertical or horizontal axis. The ball joints and tie rod should hold that just fine without an axle shaft.

edit: the Dana 44 I have also has the cotter key and nut on the top of the axle, and the bottom is flat. What kind of axle is this one?

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 11, 2013

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

There is truck-related stupidity attempting to happen around the DC beltway today, which is conveniently being photo documented by twitter and shared through local news-radio WTOP. Notable amongst the early photos:

Nothing says "I care about safety!" like a bunch of crap blocking your view out the rear.

A sheet of plywood on either side of the truck bed. I hope there are no stiff winds today!

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
This Beltway mess should be entertaining. Great way to get support: pissing off the entire region on a wet holiday weekend Friday.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

StormDrain posted:

I don't get why that would break. The axle shaft provides a rotational force and tension along its axis, but has no strength in either the vertical or horizontal axis. The ball joints and tie rod should hold that just fine without an axle shaft.

edit: the Dana 44 I have also has the cotter key and nut on the top of the axle, and the bottom is flat. What kind of axle is this one?
At a guess, when the U-joint went out, the remaining parts hit each other hard enough that it semi-unpressed the balljoints, so when they tried to move it with brute force the joints decided the easiest option was to just finish extracting themselves. There's a clip in the rock crawling DVD Hammer Down where an XJ does the same thing to itself while reversing off a section, and the noise is like someone's knee joint being pulled apart.

If it's an XJ, I think it's a Dana 30?

nurrwick posted:

There is truck-related stupidity attempting to happen around the DC beltway today, which is conveniently being photo documented by twitter and shared through local news-radio WTOP.
What are they protesting for/about?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Angry Rednecks in DC, guess what they might protest about

:argh: Obama/Obamacare!

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

[off-topic]

InitialDave posted:

https://www.facebook.com/ridefortheconstitution
Here's the facebook page for this event.

http://www.scribd.com/fullscreen/173970005?access_key=key-1bm0isg5xzp1c30lui9i&allow_share=true&view_mode=scroll
This is the press release full of "Obama-scare," "gas-roots," "Barack Hussein Obama" intellectually vacant tea party bullshit they published a few days ago.

[on-topic]
It's kind of a horrible car thing in itself to convince truckers to take time away from their livelihoods to do this stuff anyway.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

I'll defer to community judgment but I believe this is horrible:

My place of employment has sprung for at least two chrome-rimmed, tinted-windshield, custom-logos-on-the-seats golf carts.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
It's only terrible if they don't let you drive it

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Crustashio posted:

My fiancé and I have a 1995 Honda Civic - Completely Remodeled for sale. It has 560HP, Lamborghini Doors, Clarion Sub/Amp, a drop down TV screen with PS3 hookups. (and much, much more) There is some damage to back bumper, it will be shown in the pictures. The car was an impulse purchase, with hopes of getting into the car world, but life took us in a different direction. Neither of us know to much about it, so as for specifics we are open to having viewings with any prospective buyers. We are open to Reasonable offers, but are not going to humor/answer anything unreasonable. As for questions regarding it we would prefer for you to come and see it for yourself, so you can know what it entails. (As we are not aware of all details)
It may seem silly, but I figured I would put it all out there up front and advise if you're interested to call and book a viewing.
Clearly, he's not a car guy, so he's trying to put it on the real estate market, instead.
Needs more New carpet and appliances.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

KozmoNaut posted:

Anything in particular wrong with Clarion? The OEM stereo in my car is a Clarion, and I have no complaints.

I bought some replacement speakers that were Clarion a couple years ago and they were pretty drat good for the price. I guess the joke is that it's fitting that a cheap amp was installed onto a cheap car with cheap/tacky modifications.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

nurrwick posted:

[off-topic]

https://www.facebook.com/ridefortheconstitution
Here's the facebook page for this event.

http://www.scribd.com/fullscreen/173970005?access_key=key-1bm0isg5xzp1c30lui9i&allow_share=true&view_mode=scroll
This is the press release full of "Obama-scare," "gas-roots," "Barack Hussein Obama" intellectually vacant tea party bullshit they published a few days ago.

[on-topic]
It's kind of a horrible car thing in itself to convince truckers to take time away from their livelihoods to do this stuff anyway.

...and they got pulled over!

http://www.nbc12.com/story/23667282/police-pull-over-truckers-in-protest-convoy

SierraEchoBravo
Jun 23, 2010

NBC12 posted:

Police say a convoy of about 30 trucks began traveling north on Interstate 95 from Doswell, Va., on Friday morning. The truckers are circling the Beltway.

Organizers say the truckers are protesting unconstitutional actions by the federal government, including the health care overhaul and the Patriot Act. They are calling for President Barack Obama to be removed from office.

Really demonstrates the shrinking minority that these people cling to. 30 trucks, really? I would have figured more.

loving idiots.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

SierraEchoBravo posted:

Really demonstrates the shrinking minority that these people cling to. 30 trucks, really? I would have figured more.

loving idiots.

I'm guessing the rest of the truckers in the DC area were, you know, trucking. I'm sure there were some things that actually needed to be delivered today.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

bigbillystyle posted:

I'm guessing the rest of the truckers in the DC area were, you know, trucking. I'm sure there were some things that actually needed to be delivered today.

Frankly I'm surprised they were able to find 30 truckers who:

1. Believe in their cause
2. Aren't working on a Friday
3. Don't mind paying for their own fuel for this stunt
4. Have the motivation to drive more on their day off
5. Are willing to be pulled over and ticketed for this

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

StormDrain posted:

Basically:

InitialDave posted:

At a guess, when the U-joint went out, the remaining parts hit each other hard enough that it semi-unpressed the balljoints, so when they tried to move it with brute force the joints decided the easiest option was to just finish extracting themselves. There's a clip in the rock crawling DVD Hammer Down where an XJ does the same thing to itself while reversing off a section, and the noise is like someone's knee joint being pulled apart.

If it's an XJ, I think it's a Dana 30?
... is correct.

The ujoint yoke ears snap off, the inner shaft is fairly long (18" on the short side) and doesn't have anything except the ujoint keeping it on-axis in the tube at the outer end. So it flops around from the sudden jolt of the ears breaking off, the remainders of the ears sorta jam/ride up/flop around on the outer shaft's ears/broken off ears, and the torque ends up forcing the outer knuckle down via the axleshaft instead of turning things like it is supposed to. This separates the balljoints and whoops, there goes your wheel/brakes/steering/knuckle/everything.

I had this happen once, the shaft was already slightly weakened so it popped the second my tire hit the ground (bounced over some large rocks, tire went up, tire came down, tire hit rocks, snap crackle pop wheel/bearing/knuckle fell off) - I had absolutely no time to react. Sadly, I don't know who took pictures of it, so I haven't got any evidence, but it sucks to fix. The knuckle was already disconnected from the axle housing so I took the tire off, removed the inner axleshaft, stuffed a rag in the axle tube to keep water/mud out and lube in, then used a combination of a large hammer, the stock bottle jack, a high lift, and someone else's winch to compress the suspension/jam the knuckle back up and reset the balljoints. They were still trash, but the weight of the vehicle on them (don't worry, not as sketchy as it sounds, AKA it will stay in unless you corner so hard you lift a tire) kept my truck from dislocating its knees again until I got back to camp and could replace them properly.

And yes, it's a dana 30. A friend had the same thing happen on a dana 44 (the balljoints go the other way in a dana 44 as you noted, but are still balljoints) but I couldn't find any pics of that incident when I half assedly snooped around in his photobucket. This doesn't happen to kingpin dana 60 axles because of the way they're designed, the outer knuckle wraps around the inner knuckle, the upper kingpin screws into the inner knuckle and seats into the outer knuckle, then the kingpin taper bearing goes into the lower inner knuckle arm and a giant pivot pin gets installed through the lower outer knuckle into it. Unless you break the knuckle or shear either the upper kingpin or the lower pivot pin, it aint coming off. I know people who have broken those too but I haven't found where the pictures went yet.

Basically, the rule when dealing with balljoint axle housings and broken ujoints is - when it breaks, stop immediately. If it's still all attached, replace the shaft before you move it even a foot. If it isn't, hope you have spare balljoints with you. This is why people prefer kingpin type steering axles for high performance offroad solid axle vehicles.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

nurrwick posted:

I'll defer to community judgment but I believe this is horrible:

My place of employment has sprung for at least two chrome-rimmed, tinted-windshield, custom-logos-on-the-seats golf carts.

Sorry dude golf carts, no matter how stupid and done up they are, loving own. There aren't many vehicles out there you can completely hoon around in with little or no consequence.

That is, if you avoid doing donuts until the engine blows up, but what do I know about that?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

MrChips posted:

Sorry dude golf carts, no matter how stupid and done up they are, loving own. There aren't many vehicles out there you can completely hoon around in with little or no consequence.

That is, if you avoid doing donuts until the engine blows up, but what do I know about that?

True story. A friend of mine works for HSN and when being interviewed he had a tour of the campus in the company golf cart that was done up in something like flamingo pink.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Holy poo poo, the comments. This country is full of morons.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

It had a steering wheel. :colbert:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kastein posted:

Basically:

... is correct.

The ujoint yoke ears snap off, the inner shaft is fairly long (18" on the short side) and doesn't have anything except the ujoint keeping it on-axis in the tube at the outer end. So it flops around from the sudden jolt of the ears breaking off, the remainders of the ears sorta jam/ride up/flop around on the outer shaft's ears/broken off ears, and the torque ends up forcing the outer knuckle down via the axleshaft instead of turning things like it is supposed to. This separates the balljoints and whoops, there goes your wheel/brakes/steering/knuckle/everything.

I had this happen once, the shaft was already slightly weakened so it popped the second my tire hit the ground (bounced over some large rocks, tire went up, tire came down, tire hit rocks, snap crackle pop wheel/bearing/knuckle fell off) - I had absolutely no time to react. Sadly, I don't know who took pictures of it, so I haven't got any evidence, but it sucks to fix. The knuckle was already disconnected from the axle housing so I took the tire off, removed the inner axleshaft, stuffed a rag in the axle tube to keep water/mud out and lube in, then used a combination of a large hammer, the stock bottle jack, a high lift, and someone else's winch to compress the suspension/jam the knuckle back up and reset the balljoints. They were still trash, but the weight of the vehicle on them (don't worry, not as sketchy as it sounds, AKA it will stay in unless you corner so hard you lift a tire) kept my truck from dislocating its knees again until I got back to camp and could replace them properly.

And yes, it's a dana 30. A friend had the same thing happen on a dana 44 (the balljoints go the other way in a dana 44 as you noted, but are still balljoints) but I couldn't find any pics of that incident when I half assedly snooped around in his photobucket. This doesn't happen to kingpin dana 60 axles because of the way they're designed, the outer knuckle wraps around the inner knuckle, the upper kingpin screws into the inner knuckle and seats into the outer knuckle, then the kingpin taper bearing goes into the lower inner knuckle arm and a giant pivot pin gets installed through the lower outer knuckle into it. Unless you break the knuckle or shear either the upper kingpin or the lower pivot pin, it aint coming off. I know people who have broken those too but I haven't found where the pictures went yet.

Basically, the rule when dealing with balljoint axle housings and broken ujoints is - when it breaks, stop immediately. If it's still all attached, replace the shaft before you move it even a foot. If it isn't, hope you have spare balljoints with you. This is why people prefer kingpin type steering axles for high performance offroad solid axle vehicles.

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense and I think I may dig up a Spicer 60 Manual just to look at it. http://www2.dana.com/pdf/5309-3.pdf

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

wallaka posted:

It had a steering wheel. :colbert:

Don't worry, it's based on the Focus. It's a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You can see what I mean here:

The outer knuckle "wraps around" the inner one and so things have to seriously go pear shaped for the two to separate without a wrench being involved.

As opposed to a dana 30, this one's minus the brake parts and unit bearing but it shows the knuckle/inner knuckle/balljoint setup well:

The outer knuckle is below the inner knuckle on both balljoint interfaces and aside from the tensile strength of the balljoints (which isn't very high - probably only a few thousand pounds - and they're pressed into the axle or knuckle anyways, so...) so only the weight of the vehicle is really keeping them engaged fully. If the axle/ujoint explodes and forces the outer half down, it's all over in a split second.

There are balljoint dana 60s as well, and this is one of the reasons people don't like them as much as kingpin ones.

e: how the gently caress did I confuse this thread and the horrible failures thread when I first posted those pictures that started this derail? I am dumb.

kastein fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 11, 2013