Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

vaginal culture posted:

Actually catching the ball is cool and good. I'm American so was just naturally really good at goalkeeping, like all my countrymen. I got some good gloves and was all set.

Always thought of you as a catcher tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
Anyone got a recommendation for a good 5-a-side ball? Tired of my floaty Nike Vector, waste of money.

Ephex, how's the Select Royale holding up? I fancy trying something new.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Just get a Mitre. None of that fancy shite.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
Hmmm, not so sure about this Chas. I'll have a think about it

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
No joke though, the Mitre Tactic is a good, weighty ball. You should try it out in your nearest sports retailer.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Chas McGill posted:

No joke though, the Mitre Tactic is a good, weighty ball. You should try it out in your nearest sports retailer.
Who wants a weighty ball? Give me a flyaway that I can make dip and swerve completely by mistake all day, every day :cool:

Well, that or one of those yellow, fuzzy indoor balls. Those are magnificent and I would play with them outside if the fur wouldn't get ruined.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

On the sore hands goalkeeping subject:

Get some good gloves with finger protection in them (eg. the strips along the backs of the fingers to stop you bending your fingers back). Also, I tape my fingers individually as I find they are a lot more comfortable that way, and i have a lot more confidence in my punching and extended palming-offs. Had to play a couple of games this season back with cheap gloves and the difference was night and day - they just had almost no comparable strength in the fingers and it was much harder to dive and fingertip the ball around the post.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Hallowed Turban posted:

Anyone got a recommendation for a good 5-a-side ball? Tired of my floaty Nike Vector, waste of money.

Ephex, how's the Select Royale holding up? I fancy trying something new.

Top top quality, the lads love it.
Prefect weight and good surface with a nice grip.

Tends to lose air though.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Anyone have a decent way to get rid of shin splints?

UnhappyEggWhisk
Oct 25, 2003

Soulex posted:

Either strap the arch of your foot, or take a break.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Soulex posted:

Use foam rollers to massage your shins.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
I've started playing in a 7-a-side league, and my team has me playing at CB in a 2-3-1. They say it's historically been the best formation for them, but for me it's an absolute mess. The midfield spreads wide so you've got one guy in the middle of the pitch, and it's hard for the wide players to track back. So what ends up happening is the CBs get pulled all over the place. :ughh:

Playing in a futsal tournament tomorrow despite hurting my 5th metatarsal the other day... hopefully just a bruise and not a little crack in it. :(

Kempo
Oct 8, 2006

Soulex posted:

New astros immediately solved my sudden, crippling shinsplints after struggling with it for a while.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Kempo posted:

New astros immediately solved my sudden, crippling shinsplints after struggling with it for a while.

Astros?

This is with any shoe. Running shoes, work boots and my football boots.

Beem goin on for about 3 weeks now.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Soulex posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=375275177&forumid=175p

Sit and cross your leg, putting your right ankle on your left knee. Take the top of your right foot in your left hand and place the heel of your right hand against the back of your right heel for leverage. Pull the top of your foot and toes to stretch that muscle, moving your foot around to where you feel the best stretch. Do this for about 10-20 seconds, firmly massage the muscle for a few more, then do the other leg. (You can't really do this with shoes/ankle guards/shin guards on, so do it before you gear up.)

The first picture here shows how, just put the heel of your other hand against the heel of your foot. Once I started doing this I never got them again.

Soup and a Sandwich
Apr 8, 2008

skeng

Soulex posted:

Astros?

This is with any shoe. Running shoes, work boots and my football boots.

Beem goin on for about 3 weeks now.

get some sports insoles, you might just need the extra arch support. if it's shin splints proper you're going to need to rest it for a month or more.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

So who got their limited edition white copas? Better get 'em now - I thought I'd wait until today to order mine, and soccer.com was completely out of my size (10). In fact, all they have left are 11's and up. Found some 10's direct from Adidas, though.

So beautiful... :allears:

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
For goalkeeping, if you are only playing 6 a side I dont know how applicable this is but if you only use your gloves for important games then don't bother during training or fun games etc it will toughen you up.

If you are catching the ball the impact should be spread over 2 hands and shouldnt hurt that much, I would have thought you are getting bruising if you are getting your finger tips to the ball and kind of stubbing them.

I wouldn't stop trying to catch if possible.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Lazlow posted:

So who got their limited edition white copas? Better get 'em now - I thought I'd wait until today to order mine, and soccer.com was completely out of my size (10). In fact, all they have left are 11's and up. Found some 10's direct from Adidas, though.

So beautiful... :allears:

Nah mate, I only wear garishly colored boots.

I've actually never worn Copas which is probably kinda odd since I've been playing for 25 years.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Have my first game where I actually play on Tuesday. 5 a side indoor, I'm in goal. Started my involvement in the sport coaching a middle school team that couldn't find a coach. Been watching for 4 years now, finally getting on a field. Excited! The guy that manages this team during the winter organizes 11 a side teams in the spring/summer, so I'm hoping to make that transition too.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Riven posted:

Have my first game where I actually play on Tuesday. 5 a side indoor, I'm in goal. Started my involvement in the sport coaching a middle school team that couldn't find a coach. Been watching for 4 years now, finally getting on a field. Excited! The guy that manages this team during the winter organizes 11 a side teams in the spring/summer, so I'm hoping to make that transition too.

It may seem like you're easing in, but you should expect many, many more shots on target in 5-a-side than full-field. Good luck! Indoor gets really hot and humid, but stick with pants and long sleeves or you'll be covered in turf rash.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Thanks for the heads up. That made it easier to accept the losing score of 9-4. I actually feel pretty good about that for having never guarded anything larger than a hockey goal. Especially since I think they had twice to three times that many shots on goal. Apparently this team used to suck, and our team went in rather lazily, and it turns out they don't suck!, leading to a first half score of 6-1. I think next time the field will be a little more on their game. I'm also gonna go out this weekend and try to have some people kick my rear end in front of a real goal instead of the cones I've been practicing with.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
First time being a goalie today. Got a ball straight in my throat and jammed my finger. Any tips after i get well?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

The Biggest Jerk posted:

First time being a goalie today. Got a ball straight in my throat and jammed my finger. Any tips after i get well?

Lasik surgery

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

So, went to the doctor today and was told that I do not have shin splints, I have Compartment syndrome in both my legs

Essentially, I'm out for a long time if things go bad. This loving sucks.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Unlucky with getting hit in the throat but at least your positioning was good.

With your fingers I am not sure what to say, rarely do I jam them, do you know how you did it?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Soulex posted:

So, went to the doctor today and was told that I do not have shin splints, I have Compartment syndrome in both my legs

Take some percs and handle it!!!!

No but seriously that's lame.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Soulex posted:

That's a pretty loving serious condition, man. What kind of treatment are you looking at?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Soulex posted:

Sorry to hear that. Take care and I hope you can get treated and sorted out soon.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Lazlow posted:

That's a pretty loving serious condition, man. What kind of treatment are you looking at?

I'm going through physical therapy right now to find out how bad it really is. As of right now, I just now that it causes me pain to walk around a mile or so. This quickens if I am running, or walking up or down hill. It sucks. It really really sucks. It's killed my football time, and really stressed my work and my life out. I can't even really go out and walk around town on a nice day anymore with my wife and dogs. She thought I was just being lazy until I made her look at what the condition actually meant. It makes you look lazy when you can't take the trash out without stopping because it hurts (we live on top of a hill, and the trashcan is about 100 yards down hill).

After the initial PT session, where I'll get needles jammed in my legs to test "pressure" I'll better know the course of action. As of right now, surgery is on the table, and on the forefront. Truthfully, I'm fine with whatever. Surgery doesn't bother me anymore, I just don't want to lose my legs. As of right now, the Doc has me walking less than five minutes at a time, no jumping, no running, no anything. Keep in mind I'm in the military, so I'm essentially a poo poo bag because I can't do normal PT.

I hate this even more considering I had JUST bought Nike Maestri CTR360 boots, and got to wear them a whole one time before the pain started.

Fake edit: ^^ Thanks, and cheers.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
compartment syndrome is tough, looks like you'll be on the shelf for a while. hope this doesn't shut the door on your playing career

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

iajanus posted:

On the sore hands goalkeeping subject:

Get some good gloves with finger protection in them (eg. the strips along the backs of the fingers to stop you bending your fingers back). Also, I tape my fingers individually as I find they are a lot more comfortable that way, and i have a lot more confidence in my punching and extended palming-offs. Had to play a couple of games this season back with cheap gloves and the difference was night and day - they just had almost no comparable strength in the fingers and it was much harder to dive and fingertip the ball around the post.

Yup, as a regular goalkeeper I wear gloves with fingerspines in them, used to use Adidas Fingersave Allround (not the replicas, they're shite) but now the weather is getting wetter I'm using Sondico Aquaspines (basically the latex gets tackier in wet weather, you can literally soak these bad boys like sponges and the grip will still hold, I love 'em.)

As a keeper, punching the ball should always be a last resort, why would you want to put the ball back into play while you're out of position (ie. on the ground?) Even worse is goalkeepers that just parry the ball in front of them, you can get away with it in 5-a-side due to the no entering the box rule but in 11-a-side it's suicidal.

Seriously, get some decent gloves and just practice catching shots, a goalkeeper who can't catch or is afraid to catch the ball shouldn't be playing in goal.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Took a ball straight to the trachea tonight from close range. That was fun. It'll be fun explaining the giant round bruise on my throat to my coworkers too.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Riven posted:

Took a ball straight to the trachea tonight from close range. That was fun. It'll be fun explaining the giant round bruise on my throat to my coworkers too.

"Took a ball straight to the trachea." Sounds simple enough.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
It would be harder to explain if you were hit by a quantity of balls greater than one.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I've walked into work with so many knocks from soccer that they've begun to assume they all are. Made explaining the black eye I got from walking into an open cabinet much, much easier.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Tigren posted:

"Took a ball straight to the trachea." Sounds simple enough.

I didn't say it would be complicated.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I like to explain all my sport related injuries as "my girlfriend walked me into a door"

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Dell_Zincht posted:

Yup, as a regular goalkeeper I wear gloves with fingerspines in them, used to use Adidas Fingersave Allround (not the replicas, they're shite) but now the weather is getting wetter I'm using Sondico Aquaspines (basically the latex gets tackier in wet weather, you can literally soak these bad boys like sponges and the grip will still hold, I love 'em.)

As a keeper, punching the ball should always be a last resort, why would you want to put the ball back into play while you're out of position (ie. on the ground?) Even worse is goalkeepers that just parry the ball in front of them, you can get away with it in 5-a-side due to the no entering the box rule but in 11-a-side it's suicidal.

Seriously, get some decent gloves and just practice catching shots, a goalkeeper who can't catch or is afraid to catch the ball shouldn't be playing in goal.

Agreed wholeheartedly, although not much is more fun than crashing through a group of players at a corner to punch the ball away. That's always satisfying. Bonus points if the attackers have been trying to impede you or are just otherwise annoying.

Also we have the same Adidas gloves (although mine actually are now residing in a bin as the palms eventually wore out from overuse, and I need to replace them). Great choice :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ungratek posted:

I've walked into work with so many knocks from soccer that they've begun to assume they all are. Made explaining the black eye I got from walking into an open cabinet much, much easier.

Yeah, the general assumption when I limp into work on Monday is that I broke myself in Sunday league again.