Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

OldTennisCourt posted:

He raises a ton of good points and you sound unusually angry that he didn't like the mediocre retro platformer based on an internet personality. I've heard tons of people call it mediocre.

Even as an AVGN fan that Game Over screen is dumb as hell and looks like it gets old fast.

For the record ProJared is really good too.

Yeah, Jared's reviews are pretty good. I hadn't realized he left Screwattack - haven't been to that site in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

cubs2084 posted:

I don't understand your hostility. Either in regards to anyone daring criticizing the game, or your seeming grudge against ProJared. He didn't like a game you did, so what?

You're right. :saddowns: I made the mistake of reading too many YouTube comments about the game and getting pissed off.

I suppose ProJared is the fairest of all of them. I didn't even know he used to be on ScrewAttack. I'm not sure if that would negatively or positively influence his review of AVGN Adventures, which was developed with the participation of ScrewAttack. It probably doesn't matter.

In happier news there's finally another Half in the Bag, featuring a glorious film called Things, which I must see.
http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-the-conjuring-only-god-forgives-blue-jasmine-and-things/

Ema Nymton fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 8, 2013

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, Jared's reviews are pretty good. I hadn't realized he left Screwattack - haven't been to that site in a while.

I found him through youtube, so I didn't discover until recently that he was ever on ScrewAttack. Not til he replied to some commenter asking if he still worked there, saying he got fired. I doubt that affected his review, though. Since he seemed to indicate he was a fan of AVGN, just that his humor didn't translate well to the game, since references aren't enough.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

cubs2084 posted:

I found him through youtube, so I didn't discover until recently that he was ever on ScrewAttack. Not til he replied to some commenter asking if he still worked there, saying he got fired. I doubt that affected his review, though. Since he seemed to indicate he was a fan of AVGN, just that his humor didn't translate well to the game, since references aren't enough.

It's pretty baffling that he got fried since he's better than 90% of the people there now. Seriously their top 10 lists are so loving bad.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Wow, I didn't know that. Yeah, he was probably the best person they had working there too, at least from what little content I watch on that site. I don't frequent the site that often anymore, not since Craig and Tom had a falling out.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009
I'm a little late to the Room in Rome discussion, but oh well.

Ven's very long bit at the end was an awkward and sour note for the whole review. I understand why she (or Kyle, if it was his idea) felt the need to interject, give the take on the movie from an actual lesbian and not the straight male. That's fine. But the way she (literally) shoves him aside to essentially go "this is eventually a beautiful and wonderful piece, but only for lesbians" really put me off. Kyle pointed a lot to the hackneyed dialogue speaking of beauty and poetry apropos to nothing or at all in the way actual humans speak even in the most intimate settings. Then along comes Ven with her own bizarre dialogue about how "lovers develop their own little games and eventually speak their own language, to be spoken with or by no one else, to express higher and deeper concepts that words can't." I was waiting for Kyle to give her that same perplexed and aggravated look he gave the movie after a bad point of writing. And just capped it off with "well, the straight male perspective is just as valid, whatever", even though I as a straight male came away feeling like she was telling me that I have no right to judge this movie's relationship or characters, because I don't have this magical romantic connection that she does. Because I have a penis and want to see two women get naked and writhe together.

I haven't minded her popping into his other videos one bit, as they have fun interplay usually. But good god. Kyle shouldn't bring her in to undermine his entire perspective and point like that any more.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013
You know who is on Screw Attack?

Good old Fanservice Fiesta! He apparently has been putting out new videos all along. I'll admit, I watched the most recent on Burn Out! for some cringe-inducing laughs, but it steers mostly clear of creepy and actually has a decent segment about the human trafficking problems in Japan and how those relate to the movie.

So either he's steered away from ogling or this was the luck of the draw.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Just so you know Ven is genderqueer/identifies as male. I know you didn't mean anything by it but you should probably use "he" in the future. :)

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

dijon du jour posted:

Just so you know Ven is genderqueer/identifies as male. I know you didn't mean anything by it but you should probably use "he" in the future. :)

I did not know that. Noted. Even so. As a viewer, I felt like I was being talked down to, told my perspective is invalid. Feel that attempts to say the straight male perspective is just as valid despite what was just said moments before was disingenuous. That's what ultimately irked me about it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Jared's review seemed fair enough for the score he gave it. He's a pretty good reviewer, in my opinion. I had no idea why he got fired, he was the whole reason I watched their newscast videos everyday.

Jimbot posted:

not since Craig and Tom had a falling out.

Wait, what? Is it kosher to discuss that here(do they count as internet critics?) because I have no idea what happened here and am really curious.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Apparently Blip is culling a bunch of videos? MikeJ and Film Brain were bringing it up on Twitter.

Edit: http://support.blip.tv/entries/23277196-An-Important-Update-from-Blip-Regarding-Account-Removals So basically if you're not making Blip any bank, your account's being pruned. drat.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Zeether posted:

http://support.blip.tv/entries/23277196-An-Important-Update-from-Blip-Regarding-Account-Removals So basically if you're not making Blip any bank, your account's being pruned. drat.

Again? Didn't Blip do this exact same thing around a year ago? If they're still circling the drain that's probably a sign that they need a new strategy, not that they should do the same thing over and over again because the consultant they hired had a really spiffy PowerPoint saying it would work.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Blip is like the RadioShack of streaming video websites in that the person running it has no idea how it even makes money to begin with.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

WickedHate posted:

Wait, what? Is it kosher to discuss that here(do they count as internet critics?) because I have no idea what happened here and am really curious.

I probably don't know as much about it as others do, but this page seems to explain the situation pretty clearly.

quote:

"2006 was not all fun and games though. Stuttering Craig would register the company as a LLC by himself despite Handsome Tom having helped create the company. Craig promised Tom shared ownership if he could demonstrate he cared about the company. On camera though, Craig and Tom had a great relationship despite tensions off camera."

"2008 would be a big year for ScrewAttack, but for the wrong reasons. Around the time of their second birthday, not only would ScrewAttack ink a third deal with GameTrailers, but would also switch the hosting of their video from rewer to blip, with many others following their move. Ironically, rewer would subsequently shut down, which Craig attributes to ScrewAttack's switch. Also at the same time, tensions between Handsome Tom and Stuttering Craig grew. Craig still did not feel Tom was pulling his weight and would not give him partial ownership. After not coming to the office for weeks, Tom and Craig met to discuss their predicament. Tom told Craig he would stay on if he could be paid based on achievment like James Rolfe or was given partial ownership. As a small business, Craig could not give Tom the former and did not feel he would work hard enough to deserve partial ownership. Feeling there was no other option, Tom left and Craig hoped to make a goodbye video."

A cursory Google search also brought up what appears to be a forum post detailing Tom's side of the story: http://thehealingtouch.wordpress.com/2008/03/14/news-of-the-now-handsome-toms-side-of-the-story/

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

WickedHate posted:

This came up in the last thread (which I can't find at the moment), but there seemed to be a lot of 'he said she said' shenanigans going on. Also this was years ago, so I may miss something. As Screw Attack was getting more popular, Tom seemed to want a greater financial and creative stake in the site, making it a partnership between him and Craig. Craig claimed that in the weeks before he left and/or was fired, Tom was coming in late for work and showing little to no interest in work at Screw Attack. At some point, Craig assumed full control of the site financially and creatively without consulting Tom about it, which promptly caused Tom to quit Screw Attack and make his own site (which I think is defunct now?).

EDIT: gently caress, beaten.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tom was a part of some reviewer team on TGWTG but they apparently quit a year or more ago

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Tom was a part of some reviewer team on TGWTG but they apparently quit a year or more ago

Yeah, Game Heroes. They were NOT funny. They made a video about the "Top 5 Farts in Video Games". This wasn't some gag thing. They actually searched for situations where characters farted in a video games and talked about it. At that point I could never even attempt to watch a video from them again to see if they got any better. Cause how could I?

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Zeether posted:

Apparently Blip is culling a bunch of videos? MikeJ and Film Brain were bringing it up on Twitter.

Edit: http://support.blip.tv/entries/23277196-An-Important-Update-from-Blip-Regarding-Account-Removals So basically if you're not making Blip any bank, your account's being pruned. drat.

A couple of Agony Booth producers have been cut. On the other hand, Cheapskate Reviews is still alive, so yay me?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zeether posted:

That's a pretty douchebag update. Instead of pretending the demarcation was between quality and shoddiness of shows, they should just be honest that it's about popularity.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Zeether posted:

quote="dijon du jour" post="420328740"]
Again? Didn't Blip do this exact same thing around a year ago? If they're still circling the drain that's probably a sign that they need a new strategy, not that they should do the same thing over and over again because the consultant they hired had a really spiffy PowerPoint saying it would work.
[/quote]

Yeah, no. Blip stated last december/january that they were gonna review all their accounts (about 900 000 of them, with 50 000 actual shows) and remove the ones that didn't fit in with their vision, whatever the hell that was, until there were gonna be just 4-5000 shows. They have apparantly finished, and today emails have gone out to a whole bunch of producers, saying either their accounts will be deleted within thirty days, or they are fine. So they're not doing anything "again" this is just one process.

As far as I can tell, sound only podcasts are out (Nerd to the 3rd power, a podcast on TGWTG, is out), along with a whole bunch of other stuff.

It's a sad day for a whole bunch of video makers, and there are a lot of angry people out there right now, and they have every right to be. This is completely screwed up.

I don't know what hosed up metric they've used to decide who stays and who goes, but I can absolutely, positively say that "making bank for Blip" or having a huge audience, is not the yardstick they're using.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Bad Wolf posted:

dijon du jour posted:

Yeah, no. Blip stated last december/january that they were gonna review all their accounts (about 900 000 of them, with 50 000 actual shows) and remove the ones that didn't fit in with their vision, whatever the hell that was, until there were gonna be just 4-5000 shows. They have apparantly finished, and today emails have gone out to a whole bunch of producers, saying either their accounts will be deleted within thirty days, or they are fine. So they're not doing anything "again" this is just one process.

As far as I can tell, sound only podcasts are out (Nerd to the 3rd power, a podcast on TGWTG, is out), along with a whole bunch of other stuff.

It's a sad day for a whole bunch of video makers, and there are a lot of angry people out there right now, and they have every right to be. This is completely screwed up.

I don't know what hosed up metric they've used to decide who stays and who goes, but I can absolutely, positively say that "making bank for Blip" or having a huge audience, is not the yardstick they're using.
To be fair Transmission Awesome has been defunct for a long long time, and I still miss it :smith:

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Yes, it's very hard to tell where the management of Blip is coming from, but so far I appear to be fine. I'm classed as "pro", which I'm thankful for, because I'm really not sure how well my stuff would work on Youtube - I'd be concerned about a lot of music and footage being frozen. Some of the movies which I've put footage from from on Youtube - even private videos - have received pretty full-on cease and desist notices almost immediately.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

http://blip.tv/nostalgiacritic/nc-why-do-we-love-zombies-6656064
I think Doug missed on one important point why people are afraid of zombies and that is because there are so many goddamn zombies. Which leads to good social commentary on the lower class rising up to eat the rich or consumerism. Happy to see my hometown in the video too.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Any idea how many people are getting culled?

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

I have no idea what these two have planned here, but I'm game.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/phelous/40876-halloweenie-scary-candy

God I love these shorts Phelous does, I think its the intro music that gets me.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

cubs2084 posted:

I have no idea what these two have planned here, but I'm game.

Jesus, Doug and Brad doing a MythBusters gag? With Rachel as Kari? This looks goddamn awesome. Wait. Was that what Brad shaved his head for? To play Jamie Hyneman?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like Obscurus Lupa has started a new review series; there's certainly material aplenty if she means to cover the entire series!

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Lupa is a much stronger woman than I...

...seriously, I never "got" Baywatch. My sister loved it, so did her best friend and their whole house. I'd try and watch it and be bored as hell.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

So she's not doing the Charmed thing anymore?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Thunderfinger posted:

So she's not doing the Charmed thing anymore?

She's in the worst seasons of that show. I think she deserves a break.

EDIT: Yeah she confirmed on Twitter a few days ago she's still doing Charmed.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
I am indeed still doing Charmed. :) And Baywatch gets amazing during it's peak, I'm looking forward to getting there.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh, hey Lupa! While you're here let me say I greatly enjoy your videos, and the Charmed reviews you have been doing are out of this world. I'm sure your Baywatch series will be too. Keep up the great work. :3:

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Miss Wallace posted:

I am indeed still doing Charmed. :) And Baywatch gets amazing during it's peak, I'm looking forward to getting there.

Oh snap, all this time and I never knew! :aaa: I've been looking forward to more Charmed and Baywatch despite not having so much was watched an episode of either!

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
You guys seriously have no idea what's awaiting you on Baywatch. Orangutans! UFOs! Lifeguards reincarnated as dogs! Hulk Hogan! And so much more!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Miss Wallace posted:

Awesome.

I caught more of Charmed than I wanted on account of the fact that my father's ex-girlfriend watched it all the time, and it just sucked; seeing these reviews tear it down has been very funny to me on account of that. Although at least they had Orgy on it once, I guess!

Baywatch is a phenomenon I was always aware of but was too young to ever get the 'appeal' of when it was still on, so I look forward to seeing what was going on with it other than slow-mo boobs.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Miss Wallace posted:

Any plans to revisit Baywatch Nights in the course of this new series? I know you did an installment of Manic Episodes but I can't remember if you reviewed the whole thing or just singled out a couple of episodes.

As for myself, pretty much my entire exposure to Baywatch was knowing that it was Joey and Chandler's favourite show in Friends.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
You know what? I probably am a James Rolfe & AVGN fangirl.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
AVGN has some legit funny stuff. There's a lot of his videos that rely too much on him just shouting and screaming poop related words but there's also a decent amount that's just him making fun of terrible games in a funny way. Plus he's tried really hard to move on past 'the nerd' to do actual reviews, hasn't he? I can respect a dude knowing when he's reached the end of a gimmick and letting it die instead of riding it forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Didn't the Baywatch Hawaii spinoff star a very young Khal Drogo? Baywatch, to Stargate, to Game of Thrones, to Conan. That's a hell of a career arc.

• Locked thread