Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Speaking of the yX10p, is the thing supposed to be throttling down the gpu/cpu when running on battery?

I was playing Just Cause 2 last night, and when plugged in it would run it like a dream, but then I unplugged it and took it over to my TV so I could play it on the home theater setup. I didn't bother plugging it in because it was just going to be a short session.

Performance went way down when on battery. I tried lowering the resolution and pretty much every setting, and I barely got it up to playable FPS.

Plugged it back in at my desk, and performance was back up to normal instantly.

I assume it's set to go into low power mode when unplugged. There should be power settings somewhere where you can change it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Klaus Kinski posted:

Here's my short review: The screen is pretty good, the speakers are ok. The build quality feels solid, I could probably break someone's skull with it and it would still boot. The touchpad and battery life (~4h power saving mode while watching movies/surfing, no tweaks) are poo poo, but I expected that.

One huge annoyance is that you can't enable the intel gpu when you run sli to squeeze a little more battery life out of it. I ran into the adaptive brightness bug when I did a fresh install of windows but it went away randomly when I rebooted.

In short: If you can you live with the short battery life and the fact that it's a pretty massive 15", it's really good value.
Yeah, my impressions of the y410p is this:

The screen is pretty good, but it needs calibrating as it is by default very washed out. I don't know what the best monitor settings are, I think I have the saturation a bit too high (although I kinda like these vivid colors.) It does have viewing angle issues like all LED monitors, but it's not the worst. The bezzle around the monitor is pretty large, and it's kinda weird how the top bezzle is larger than the bottom bezzle.

Build quality is pretty good. I agree with Klaus on the killability of the laptop. At least it seems pretty solid. BUT the Faux metal collects oil so you'll leave marks from your wrists after a couple hours of use. Kinda makes it look dirty. The keys feel really soft and feels good to type on. The Trackpad's "tap to touch" is loving terrible and unreliable, but it clicks pretty easily and it functions well enough once you turn that off.

The Hardware is nice. With a single 750M it will run just about any recent game on high or ultra at 720p. The 5400 harddrive is loving awful and I'm deciding to pull the trigger on a SSD for this thing.

But this thing isn't that portable of a Laptop. The battery life is bad, it's pretty big, and it's not a light laptop. When running graphically intensive games, it heats up pretty badly so I dropped $20 on a Laptop cooler. So now I'm carrying around that thing too. Although using the cooler on your lap you get the sensation like your balls are on a freezing mountain top, so that's a plus.

But for what I wanted to use it for, which is bringing it around to a friend's place or using it in the living room while watching television, works really well. It's a pretty good dGPU Laptop that's worth the $800.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 10, 2013

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Weird, my 510p doesn't get that hot but I pretty much never run it in SLI, does the slightly larger case make that much of a difference? Wipe it down a few times with wet wipes or random cleaning alcohol and you stop leaving disgusting marks.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You don't know hot laptops until you've tried to run games on a unibody Macbook. That thing nearly burnt my dick to a crisp.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Genocyber posted:

I assume it's set to go into low power mode when unplugged. There should be power settings somewhere where you can change it.

I think it's hardcoded into the 750m. I haven't been able to find settings to change it. It sort of make sense because I think the 750m would drain a full battery in like 15 minutes flat from the heat it produces.

With my y410p, I usually just switch over to the integrated GPU and play less demanding games on battery. But if the SLI disables that capability, I think you're pretty much stuck.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.
Has anyone had any feedback on the y580?

The graphics card looks good enough to play modern games, and notebookcheck found 4.5 hours of web browsing with the battery.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

"Mr. Roark, we're alone here. Why don't you tell me what you think of me? In any words you wish. No one will hear us."
"But I don't think of you."
Here's my review after a day with the y510P.

1. The display

The most important factor for me in choosing a laptop. In the sad state that is the modern day laptop screen, I'd say this is an above average display for a 1080P laptop. After calibration, there is some pretty good pop to the screen and everything is vibrant and colorful for the most part. Sadly, it really lacks compared to the IPS displays I've dealt with recently in terms of resolution. I think this is mostly an issue of me dealing with IPS displays on smaller devices, and thus being spoiled by the condensed pixels. Also, a lot of the issue has to do with content: many webvideos are still shot in 720P, so it's not always the case I actually get to use the 1080P display to its fullest.

2. The speakers

The best I've ever heard on a laptop. Both the quality of the sound and the noise is very much improved from my Toshiba satellite. Ultimately, though, it just isn't loud enough for use in the way I wanted, i.e. washing dishes and getting a glass of water without having to switch to another sound input device. I use my laptop as my primary media device, and it just doesn't get loud enough. Maybe no laptop can.

3. Various notes

I haven't had time to game yet, so I'll just point out some other bits. The keyboard is the best I've ever felt. It's responsive and smooth with no flex. The trackpad is among the worst I've ever used. It's sloppy and awkward and clicking is uncomfortable. The bezel around the screen is comically large. Face unlock and start button included are nice touches.

4. Conclusion

I'm going to give this another couple of days. With tax, this sucker is a hair under a grand. While it's certainly better than my POS Toshiba, is it $1,000 better? Right now that answer is no. If I'm not getting the display I want, the sound isn't loud enough for my needs, and the trackpad is awful, why not return it and just get that new HP chromebook? The IPS display may be just what I need. Like I said, I'll give it some more time, but it's a no go as of now. Really not looking forward to fighting with Lenovo over their deceiving return policy.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Socrates16 posted:

Here's my review after a day with the y510P.

1. The display

The most important factor for me in choosing a laptop. In the sad state that is the modern day laptop screen, I'd say this is an above average display for a 1080P laptop. After calibration, there is some pretty good pop to the screen and everything is vibrant and colorful for the most part. Sadly, it really lacks compared to the IPS displays I've dealt with recently in terms of resolution. I think this is mostly an issue of me dealing with IPS displays on smaller devices, and thus being spoiled by the condensed pixels. Also, a lot of the issue has to do with content: many webvideos are still shot in 720P, so it's not always the case I actually get to use the 1080P display to its fullest.

Could you share your calibration settings?

And yeah, the display on my y410p is, at best, disappointing. I'm getting used to it, though, and I know I was spoiled by my Macbook Pro that I had for 4 years.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

"Mr. Roark, we're alone here. Why don't you tell me what you think of me? In any words you wish. No one will hear us."
I just calibrated using the "calibrate display color" application within windows. I don't have specific numbers. All I really did was lower the gamma to about a quarter from it starting at about half. Everything else seemed to be spot on out of the box.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

mugrim posted:

Has anyone had any feedback on the y580?

The graphics card looks good enough to play modern games, and notebookcheck found 4.5 hours of web browsing with the battery.
I'm still using mine (purchased about a year ago now). You can stretch the battery that far if you go with 50 or 60% brightness.

The only thing I didn't like about the Y580 out of the box was the slow 5400 RPM harddrive, but I bought my own 128 gb mSATA drive and made it the boot drive while keeping the 1 tb drive for files.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

So, turns out there is a major wifi issue on the y510p. Anyone else experiencing this? It looks connected for the computer but the internet won't work. There's a massive thread on it in the lenovo forums: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/New-y510p-with-a-wifi-problem/td-p/1163533/page/2

What a mess. The router I use is in a neighbor's apartment, as is the hard line, so I'm not fixing this today, or likely tomorrow because I have class until 9PM. That's a "Lenovo Error" if I ever heard one(from their shady rear end return policy). I'm calling them. This sucker is going back.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Plus, I don't think the Windows Install disk lets you create new partitions (other than the one needed to install Windows), but I might be wrong.

That's okay if you just want to run on the SSD anyway; you can always create one or more partitions on the HDD once you've booted into Windows

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is there anything decent in the 11 or 12 inch netbook-ish running windows area?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Socrates16 posted:

So, turns out there is a major wifi issue on the y510p. Anyone else experiencing this? It looks connected for the computer but the internet won't work. There's a massive thread on it in the lenovo forums: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/New-y510p-with-a-wifi-problem/td-p/1163533/page/2

What a mess. The router I use is in a neighbor's apartment, as is the hard line, so I'm not fixing this today, or likely tomorrow because I have class until 9PM. That's a "Lenovo Error" if I ever heard one(from their shady rear end return policy). I'm calling them. This sucker is going back.

I think this is just a driver issue you can fix by updating to the latest intel drivers. It definitely went away for me after I reinstalled windows, at least.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Acer just released a new Chromebook (running a Haswell Celeron, not an ARM chip like the Samsung Chromebook)

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/10/acers-c720-chromebook-launched-thinner-longer-lasting-and-haswell/

8.5 hours of battery life and performance far exceeding the ARM chip. Plus it should be way easier to get Linux and such working on one. It does have a crap 11.6" screen, where the latest HP Chromebook is IPS.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Phoenixan posted:

I'm still using mine (purchased about a year ago now). You can stretch the battery that far if you go with 50 or 60% brightness.

The only thing I didn't like about the Y580 out of the box was the slow 5400 RPM harddrive, but I bought my own 128 gb mSATA drive and made it the boot drive while keeping the 1 tb drive for files.

The lenovo site waited until I got paid to take down all the ones that didn't have French Canadian keyboards....

On that note, what is the difference between a Intel Core i7-3537U and an Intel Core i5-3337U? Is i7 fast enough to make games and what not run better (with a 710m graphics card), or is it just wasted horse power? It would also mean giving up a touch screen if I did so and installing classic shell.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
My y510p arrived and I'm in the process of setting it up/migrating things from my old laptop.

A couple of questions:

1. What is the intended purpose of the small SSD (24.9 usable gigs) that is installed alongside the main drive? Right now it just has a drivers folder and an Application folder (containing only McAfee). Is this just a faster speed drive to use for whatever I want, or should I reserve it for specific things?

2. Speaking of McAfee, what pre-installed poo poo should I strip out, and what is actually useful to keep around?

I'm swapping the 1TB drive for a 256GB SSD as well.

Edit: Derp, that drive is just a partition on the 1TB (6 partitions total!) The SSD is invisible, and I guess just used by the OS.

Hillridge fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 10, 2013

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

Bob Morales posted:

Download Macrium Reflect Free Edition.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Buy or borrow a USB to SATA converter. Cannibalize an old external HD if you want.

Boot into Windows and go to computer management and disk management and shrink down your windows partition so that it will fit on your SSD (just make it like 100GB). Then use Macrium Reflect to clone the factory HD to your SSD. Switch the drives out and then boot up with the SSD, and when you get back to Windows expand the partition so it fills up the drive. Bam! If you want you can delete the recovery partitions and poo poo and just keep the factory HD around for a backup.

Nope. Just plug that poo poo in.

Quoting this from wayyy back.

When I try and clone my 1TB to a 256GB SSD, I get an "Insufficient Space" error. I shrunk the C: partition down to 55GB, and it along with the other 6 partitions add up to less than 256GB. I think it is trying to clone the hundreds of GBs of unallocated space, but I can't figure out how to tell it to ignore that.

Ideas?

Edit:
:doh: You have to drag and drop partitions. Apparently checking the ones you want doesn't work.

Hillridge fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 10, 2013

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

So now that most of the Haswell offerings are out, is there a consensus on the best laptops on the market? I'm a physics grad student who is looking for a work laptop in the ~$1100 range. I'll be spending a lot of time on it and carrying it around in my backpack, so my priorities are a comfort, a quality keyboard, weight, and to a lesser degree power (I'll be analyzing some large-ish datasets on it so it's gotta have a decent processor, and probably SSD memory). A decent battery life would also be nice, just so I don't have to worry about always having it plugged in. Windows and Mac are both fine by me, although if it's the former I'm just going to install Ubuntu on it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hillridge posted:

My y510p arrived and I'm in the process of setting it up/migrating things from my old laptop.

A couple of questions:

1. What is the intended purpose of the small SSD (24.9 usable gigs) that is installed alongside the main drive? Right now it just has a drivers folder and an Application folder (containing only McAfee). Is this just a faster speed drive to use for whatever I want, or should I reserve it for specific things?

2. Speaking of McAfee, what pre-installed poo poo should I strip out, and what is actually useful to keep around?

I'm swapping the 1TB drive for a 256GB SSD as well.

Edit: Derp, that drive is just a partition on the 1TB (6 partitions total!) The SSD is invisible, and I guess just used by the OS.

Did you pay extra for the 1TBHDD + 24GB SSD? The small SSD is actually just a cache; a copy of files that are used regularly will wind up in there for faster access. You can't use it like a normal hard drive and have wasted some money. Sorry!

If you're going to replace the 1TB drive with a 256 GB SSD then I wouldn't bother removing anything yet; just do a clean install on the 256 GB SSD and that will be the same as removing all of the bloat, but a lot easier

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

VikingofRock posted:

So now that most of the Haswell offerings are out, is there a consensus on the best laptops on the market? I'm a physics grad student who is looking for a work laptop in the ~$1100 range. I'll be spending a lot of time on it and carrying it around in my backpack, so my priorities are a comfort, a quality keyboard, weight, and to a lesser degree power (I'll be analyzing some large-ish datasets on it so it's gotta have a decent processor, and probably SSD memory). A decent battery life would also be nice, just so I don't have to worry about always having it plugged in. Windows and Mac are both fine by me, although if it's the former I'm just going to install Ubuntu on it.

If you're a physics grad student, then there's a 99% chance that your analysis can take place on a machine in your building and you'll just need a way to SSH to it. If that is the case, then just get a netbook or a Chromebook (and install Ubuntu on it). Your analysis code will probably finish faster on the server, and you can move locations with your netbook without interrupting your analysis.

If you don't have a server or desktop in the physics building to run your analysis on remotely, then buy a desktop to run your analysis on and then just get a netbook or a Chromebook. It'll be cheaper and more effective than trying to run computationally intense code on your laptop.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

QuarkJets posted:

Did you pay extra for the 1TBHDD + 24GB SSD? The small SSD is actually just a cache; a copy of files that are used regularly will wind up in there for faster access. You can't use it like a normal hard drive and have wasted some money. Sorry!

If you're going to replace the 1TB drive with a 256 GB SSD then I wouldn't bother removing anything yet; just do a clean install on the 256 GB SSD and that will be the same as removing all of the bloat, but a lot easier

It came with the build (y510p can't be customized like the Thinkpads). I'm trying to clone the 1TB to an SSD, but it's being such a pain in the rear end that I may just do a clean install.

Also, could someone please explain to me why I have 7 partitions on the main drive?

WINRE_DRV - NTFS - 300-1000MB
SYSTEM_DRV - FAT32 - 27.4-260MB
LRS_ESP - FAT32 - 496.8-1000MB
(none) - unformatted - 128MB
Windows8_OS (C:) - NTFS - variable
LENOVO (D:) - NTFS - 3.30GB-25GB
PBR_DRV - NTFS - 13.9-14.31GB

in particular, what is the 128MB of unallocated space? I assume the LENOVO drive is 25GB to allow for a series of restoration points, but can it be shrunk to save some space?

Hillridge fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 10, 2013

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Is the general consensus to wipe new laptops when we get them, or just uninstall everything we can? I just got one of the new Inspiron 14 7000s and it has a ton of Dell Upgrade, Dell Recovery, Dell Delivery, Dell Backup (which won't let me make a driver backup to an external USB disk, only USB stick wtf), Dell Assistant, My Dell, Micheal Dell Skypes Your Mother, McAffee This and McAffee That, SQL Server Compact...

I am adding a 240GB SSD tonight and was going to keep this crap hard drive for data storage (Virtual Machines wheee) and I'm wondering if it is better to start from scratch or to try and shrink copy the partition.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
I guess it depends exactly on what you get preinstalled and if you actually use it. My y510p came with a ton of garbage freeware and trial AV/firewall software, none of which I actually use so I just wiped it clean.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

Why would you not be able to use the 1TB + SSD as a normal drive? I think the worst case scenario is that the SSD caching won't work if you don't use it as your main drive.

Hillridge posted:

It came with the build (y510p can't be customized like the Thinkpads). I'm trying to clone the 1TB to an SSD, but it's being such a pain in the rear end that I may just do a clean install.

Also, could someone please explain to me why I have 7 partitions on the main drive?

WINRE_DRV - NTFS - 300-1000MB
SYSTEM_DRV - FAT32 - 27.4-260MB
LRS_ESP - FAT32 - 496.8-1000MB
(none) - unformatted - 128MB
Windows8_OS (C:) - NTFS - variable
LENOVO (D:) - NTFS - 3.30GB-25GB
PBR_DRV - NTFS - 13.9-14.31GB

in particular, what is the 128MB of unallocated space? I assume the LENOVO drive is 25GB to allow for a series of restoration points, but can it be shrunk to save some space?

I honestly wouldn't bother cloning the drive. Just download all (well, most) of the drivers in this page into a USB drive and then flatten/reinstall Windows. Once you have Windows back up, go ahead and run all the .exes and you'll have all the relevant programs installed again. The only thing to look out for is that for whatever reason Nvidia won't let you install the 750m's drivers until you've installed the Intel drivers.

All those partitions you listed are the Lenovo recovery partitions. As long you know how to reinstall Windows yourself, you don't need them.

Edit: apparently I'm wrong and those are supposed to be partitions that Windows 8 sets up to support UEFI and Secure Boot. I haven't seen those partitions replicated in my SSD after a clean install, and I've booted up the machine without the mechanical drive, so I honestly don't think they're necessary, but I don't want to tell anyone to delete them until I'm sure.

Someone asked about Antivirus. Windows 8 comes pre-installed with Windows Defender, which bundles up Microsoft Security Essentials (Microsoft's antivirus) and the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool (anti-spyware, basically) into one handy integrated solution. You can opt to install another anti-virus if you want, but I think they're good enough.

Edit: small caveat, when I did a clean install of Windows 8 on my y410p, I had a strange issue where Windows would freeze for a few seconds once a minute or so. That went away after I installed the drivers from the Lenovo page.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 11, 2013

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

I've preordered the HP Chromebook but now I'm having trouble deciding between it and the new Acer one, I guess I'll wait for some more hands on reviews to come up.

Dr. Fingerguns
Dec 26, 2011

What if all cats were THIS?
Recently, I've become interested with the idea of getting a UMPC, specifically a Wibrain B1, but I can't find one for sale anywhere. I have two questions for the thread: 1. Are UMPCs worth getting into, and 2. Where can I find a B1 for sale? It seems like an appealing idea to have all of the functionality of a laptop in a smaller size profile and the ability to use it for applications that you couldn't quite use a smartphone for. I figured that this was the right thread to post in, given that this is generally about mobile computing.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
I don't think you can buy new UMPCs anymore. Googling for the Wibrain B1 gets lots of news articles from 2007-2008 but nothing recent and searching Google Shopping for UMPC generically gets lots of hits for used hardware and the new hardware it does find is both extremely expensive and has worse specs than a modern tablet. If you really need something smaller than an ultra-portable laptop that can run Windows software your best bet is probably the Surface Pro or one of the other Atom-based full-PC tablets we were discussing on the last page.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Dr. Fingerguns posted:

Recently, I've become interested with the idea of getting a UMPC, specifically a Wibrain B1, but I can't find one for sale anywhere. I have two questions for the thread: 1. Are UMPCs worth getting into, and 2. Where can I find a B1 for sale? It seems like an appealing idea to have all of the functionality of a laptop in a smaller size profile and the ability to use it for applications that you couldn't quite use a smartphone for. I figured that this was the right thread to post in, given that this is generally about mobile computing.

Are you serious? What year is it?

edit: for context, this is the thing this guy wants to buy in the year of our lord 2013.

That is a 30gb MECHANICAL hard drive and 512mb ram, running XP. What the gently caress are you thinking.

Oh and it cost $700 new.

Magic Underwear fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 11, 2013

Dr. Fingerguns
Dec 26, 2011

What if all cats were THIS?
I saw one that sold really cheap on ebay and I figured that it might be useful if I could get it on a bargain. I think I'll look into those atom-based tablets instead.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I like that they couldn't even unplug it for the photograph. Probably shuts right the gently caress down if you do.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Buy an Acer Iconia W3 (8-inch x86 Windows 8 tablet) and tape a keyboard to it.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 11, 2013

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

MikeJF posted:

Buy an Asus Iconia W3 (8-inch x86 Windows 8 tablet) and tape a keyboard to it.

Honestly that's only slightly better than a 5 year old XP tablet with a mechanical hard drive.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Verge has a review up of the new HP Chromebook

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/10/4822576/hp-chromebook-11-review

HP’s smartest move was making the charger a Micro USB port, and including an ultra-powerful USB charger with the Chromebook 11 that works with phones and tablets too. You can even charge your laptop from another laptop, if you’re into that — anything but HP’s included cable takes a long time to charge the Chromebook’s large battery, but it does work. There’s almost no chance you’ll find yourself chargerless and out of luck. It’s a smart, customer-friendly move from Google and HP, and I hope other manufacturers follow suit.

The keyboard is solid, too: clicky and comfortable despite the cheap, plasticky feel of each of its keys

The trackpad, on the other hand, is pretty bad. It’s sticky and plastic, and doesn’t allow your finger to glide smoothly at all; my fingers jittered around as I tried to move the cursor, and the screen jittered even worse as I tried to scroll with two fingers or pinch to zoom on the screen.

It works fine, with no deal-breaking issues, but it’s not exactly fluid — scrolling is slow and stuttery on heavy webpages, HD videos often stutter and drop frames and occasionally just stop playing entirely, and even typing can lag behind your fingers. Nothing surprising for a $279 laptop, but Chrome OS is designed to be so light, so easy, so fluid that it can run well on any hardware. Using a Chromebook 11 next to a MacBook Air or even a Pixel is like using an Android phone from two years ago: it runs, but it’s lost a step or two.

That’s why the biggest issue with all Chromebooks, including the Chromebook 11, is battery life — at between four and five hours of normal use, it’s solid, but it’s neither enough for a cross-country flight nor enough that I can leave it on my coffee table for weeks at a time, like I can with an iPad.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

Officially entered the form on Lenovo to return my y510p. It now lays useless. Wifi will not work and my neighbor(who has the hardline) is asleep.

So, what's the word on chromebooks? That new HP with the IPS display is really tempting. Can they play anything on the web? I think the biggest problem I'll have is that one of my favorite boxing platforms, wealth TV(which, ironically, I only get online) uses microsoft silverlight of all things. Besides that, any other issues with web play? Does flash content run well,what about other, obscure videos on the web? Some fights are literally not available in the U.S. so I have to watch on obscure websites using unknown streaming technology.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Socrates16 posted:

So, what's the word on chromebooks? That new HP with the IPS display is really tempting. Can they play anything on the web? I think the biggest problem I'll have is that one of my favorite boxing platforms, wealth TV(which, ironically, I only get online) uses microsoft silverlight of all things. Besides that, any other issues with web play? Does flash content run well,what about other, obscure videos on the web? Some fights are literally not available in the U.S. so I have to watch on obscure websites using unknown streaming technology.

There is a link to the review of the HP Chromebook right above your post.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

I saw it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

One thing to consider about the HP Chromebook is that it's basically the same as the Samsung Chromebook except it's in a new case and has a nice screen. It's last-gen hardware and there should be a much improved model coming out very soon.

http://gigaom.com/2013/05/31/new-samsung-chromebook-may-use-8-core-chip-for-power-and-performance-boost/

I want one since I love the 11" form-factor but I've played with them briefly at Best Buy and they feel slow.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So I'm trying to deal with an X1 Carbon where the mouse pointer keeps jumping to the top left of the screen every few seconds, bouncing around and doing click+drag erratically. IBM support recommended that I reimage the thing, and they're sending out recovery discs.

This is the CEO's laptop, so I'd like to get something done sooner. I'm about to see if the same thing happens in Safe Mode, and if it doesn't I'll uninstall pointing devices from Device Manager. Any other ideas?

EDIT: It still happens in Safe Mode. In any case I uninstalled the two instances of mice from DevMgr, plus the ThinkNav. Just rebooted, let's see...

EDIT: Didn't help. Doing System Restore.

EDIT: System Restore didn't help either.

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Magic Underwear posted:

Are you serious? What year is it?

edit: for context, this is the thing this guy wants to buy in the year of our lord 2013.

That is a 30gb MECHANICAL hard drive and 512mb ram, running XP. What the gently caress are you thinking.

Oh and it cost $700 new.

It does look like a fun toy for playing emulated games and stuff like that, if it was $650 or so cheaper.