Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Potato Alley posted:

I mean, this sounds like it wasn't a virtual server. But that can't be what you're saying. Can it? A non high-performance machine with no real need to be physical would of course be created as a VM in this day and age. Right? Right??

Who am I kidding, one of our clients still isn't convinced that virtualization doesn't create a 50% or greater performance hit on his lovely Business Objects server that is used by a grand total of 25 people, so I can believe that admins who don't have proper backups of their machines also don't know how to use virtualization properly.

Also, a year to build that, even with SCCM's complexity, seems....slow.

Well, they've basically been teaching themselves how it all works while simultaneously supporting the rest of the network. There's only 2 admins and what amounts to one junior admin (who was responsible for basically all the imaging and PXE stuff, and he's technically just a bench tech).

A lot of our stuff is virtualized, and has been for years. I'm not sure why this wasn't, but it may have something to do with our existing stacks being relatively old and loaded up with the rest of the active directory services.

Plus our admins are ossified and they routinely frustrate the junior with their Old Ways. I just learned that somewhere between our internet, firewall, and web filter, we have a layer 2 switch. A 17-year-old Allied Telesyn. One of the original devices from when we were still tied together with T1s and ARCnet. Most of our critical services these days are Internet-based.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Okay, I've been jonesing for an update all night. Anything new on the puppy front?

I was just catching up on the thread and saw this, Puppy as it turns out was someone's seeing-eye-dog in training. Apparently you get the puppy, and you're supposed to teach it to interact with people and part of that is when it's a little dog, you're supposed to get it used to behaving around poo poo tons of people, so you bring it to work/school whatever so it learns not to freak in crowds I suppose. He visits from time to time and its owner has been advised to please not leash him to the several million in taxpayer dollars in "That Big Air Conditioned Room With All The Blinky Blinky" However, he does stop buy my development department for the occasional piece of bacon from my sandwich. :smugdog:

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.
User brings in of our older laptops (still running XP, due for replacement soon)

:bahgawd: CollegeCop, I ran updates yesterday and Microsoft screwed up the screen on my laptop.

:cop: Let me take a look at it.

I open the lid and the screen is random pixels and colors.

:bahgawd: See, look at that. Microsoft really screwed the pooch on this one.

I pick the laptop up to move it to my bench to hook it up to an external monitor. As I grab it with my thumb on the keyboard bezel next to the left hand hinge, the screen suddenly clears. I remove the pressure on my thumb and the screen goes back to randomness. I've seen this before - the ribbon cable for the lcd "walks" out of the connector on the motherboard over time.

:cop: Hey, I think this a problem with the screen cable . . .

:bahgawd: Yeah, why would they push out an update that breaks peoples screens?

:cop: No, see. When I press here the screen clears up. (I demonstrate a couple of times)

:bahgawd: You would think they would test these updates before they send them out.

:cop: Wait, no. This is a hardware problem. The updates didn't cause this.

:bahgawd: I just hope you can fix whatever they messed up.

:cop: Yeah, Microsoft didn't cause this. It's a problem with a cable. I'll have you fixed in a minute.

:bahgawd: Blah, blah, blah, Microsoft, blah, blah, test, blah, break things, blah, Microsoft...

(Meanwhile, power down, four screws out, flip up keyboard, reseat connector, keyboard back in, screws back in, power up, screen good as new)

:cop: There you go!

:bahgawd: Oh, thank god! You should really call someone at Microsoft and let them know that their update broke my screen!

:eng99: Yeah, I'll get right on that. Have a good day! :suicide:

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Dick Trauma posted:

The CFO came to me because he was trying to install something and doesn't have admin rights. So I walk down to his office to take care of it and see what he's installing:

LEAGUE OF LEGENDS :stare:

Turns out our company is looking to do some sort of business with Riot and he said he wanted to understand what Riot's big product is. At least that's his story...
We've just been informed that because one of our devs had Dropbox installed on their laptop we're all losing local admin rights on our machines. Because THE CLOUD. It's a scary thing, this THE CLOUD. Our proprietary data might be out in THE CLOUD!

Nevermind that none of us are stupid enough to actually put proprietary information anywhere but company servers.
Nevermind that we're devs and consultants who actually need admin access to do our work.
Nevermind that we're a consulting company, and the consultants have long been told that so long as it doesn't affect work, go ahead and treat the company laptop like a personal machine. We're out on the road, so they're our lifelines back home, our entertainment, etc. Don't let clients see your games, and don't do anything illegal with 'em.

But it's :moreevil: THE CLOUD!!!! :ohdear:

Looks like I'm buying a personal laptop again.

AcidRonin posted:

I was just catching up on the thread and saw this, Puppy as it turns out was someone's seeing-eye-dog in training. Apparently you get the puppy, and you're supposed to teach it to interact with people and part of that is when it's a little dog, you're supposed to get it used to behaving around poo poo tons of people, so you bring it to work/school whatever so it learns not to freak in crowds I suppose. He visits from time to time and its owner has been advised to please not leash him to the several million in taxpayer dollars in "That Big Air Conditioned Room With All The Blinky Blinky" However, he does stop buy my development department for the occasional piece of bacon from my sandwich. :smugdog:

Yay! Thank you!

CollegeCop posted:

User brings in of our older laptops (still running XP, due for replacement soon)
MICROSOFT BAD
That person will be pushing for a MacBook in the next few days. They'll cite "reliability issues". I've seen it a million times.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Urit posted:

That video is precisely what I was thinking about and wincing as they described their elaborate virtual training setup. And yes, they used new SL accounts.

In fairness, that's because whoever built that studio screwed up the permissions.

Set up on private land, disable the ability for non-group-members to create objects or run scripts and you won't get attacked by flying penises on live TV.

For something like the setup you describe, you'd also want to set the land to ban non-group-members from the land entirely.

It's still pretty stupid though. SecondLife is not an easy system to learn, for most folk you'd have to run a training course for how to use the drat client!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

JohnnyCanuck posted:

We've just been informed that because one of our devs had Dropbox installed on their laptop we're all losing local admin rights on our machines. Because THE CLOUD. It's a scary thing, this THE CLOUD. Our proprietary data might be out in THE CLOUD!

Nevermind that none of us are stupid enough to actually put proprietary information anywhere but company servers.
Nevermind that we're devs and consultants who actually need admin access to do our work.
Nevermind that we're a consulting company, and the consultants have long been told that so long as it doesn't affect work, go ahead and treat the company laptop like a personal machine. We're out on the road, so they're our lifelines back home, our entertainment, etc. Don't let clients see your games, and don't do anything illegal with 'em.

Looks like I'm buying a personal laptop again.

And you don't even need local admin to install Dropbox!

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Got a call yesterday from someone who was pissed off because a computer in a conference room was working. Couldn't get Outlook to connect to the Exchange server. I think it had a 169.254.x.x address. So I tried to /release /renew. Got an error that the RPC server was unavailable. The service was running and I don't have an option to restart it so it's reboot time. After the reboot everything comes up and connects. Okay. I leave.

Later my boss comes in all mad because I am supposed to be updating these at regular intervals (despite the fact that that wouldn't have prevented this anyway.) He was mad because they tried to pull up a Youtube video and it wouldn't play. They updated flash and still nothing. I went over there later and it loaded in Chrome no problem. Firefox would play a couple seconds and error out. I think Flash was crashing. Anyway, I was in a poo poo mood about it so I walked off and made lunch. Come back a bit later and it loads no problem. I resolve to come back later and clean out the startup items and remove some of the bloat on the computer.

After lunch I go back and start uninstalling bullshit only to realize it has lost its IP config again. Same error. I think this is related to an ongoing issue we have been having about DNS not resolving correctly internally, causing Outlook to not auth right and other apps to give hostname errors. I was able to run DCDIAG and find out that we have a delegated domain name missing a "glue a record" but I don't know enough about DNS to fix that or if it would actually be causing the problem.

I may have to call in our contractor who used to be backup for the guy I replaced. He charges something like $100/hr. I've been rather proud of the fact that he hasn't been here for about 4-5 months now, as I think his visits were much more frequent before I started this job. *sigh*

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

"Hey, I have a question. I was going to burn a DVD, so I put the DVD in the drive, but it didn't detect the DVD. When I ejected the DVD tray, there was no DVD in there! So I put another DVD in and burned that one, but now my tray won't open. Can you take a look at it?"

:stare:

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

And you don't even need local admin to install Dropbox!

Haha this is what I was going to bring up. I had to spend a bit of time and effort to ensure that people couldn't install dropbox on machines that they had no admin right.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

Nativity In Black posted:

Got a call yesterday from someone who was pissed off because a computer in a conference room was working.

I know this is just a typo, but it really made me laugh. Someone angry that their computer WAS FUNCTIONING? GRAAAAHAHHH I HATE IT WHEN OUTLOOK CONNECTS!

(because, you know, if your computer works, the user is expected to be working too)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

babies havin rabies posted:

"Hey, I have a question. I was going to burn a DVD, so I put the DVD in the drive, but it didn't detect the DVD. When I ejected the DVD tray, there was no DVD in there! So I put another DVD in and burned that one, but now my tray won't open. Can you take a look at it?"

:stare:

The beast must feed.

I was working on a laptop recently and found a scratched-up DVD stuck between the optical drive and the case. Like, it wasn't stuck in the drive, it was stuck on top of the drive.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Entropic posted:

The beast must feed.

I was working on a laptop recently and found a scratched-up DVD stuck between the optical drive and the case. Like, it wasn't stuck in the drive, it was stuck on top of the drive.

Slot load, yo. :v: I seem to recall popping open somone's case (might have been doing an upgrade or something) and finding frigging *coins* jammed up in there.

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Entropic posted:

The beast must feed.

I deal with smart cards at my workplace, and this happens ALL THE TIME with our internal card readers. people jam them right up on in there with no regard for petty things like "is it actually in the slot?"

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I find it hilarious that I am entrusted to engineer and administrate administer millions of dollars worth of customer infrastructure, but I am absolutely too stupid to hhave admin rights on my windows laptop.

This is the same IT team that pushed a group policy to deny adobe PDF reader to be opened outside of their "safe sandbox mode" while our AV completely breaks "save sandbox mode."

Nobody has been able to read PDF's for 7 days, until today.

This is also the same IT team that got the first infection of Crypto Locker.

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 10, 2013

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

nitrogen posted:

I find it hilarious that I am entrusted to engineer and administrate administer millions of dollars worth of customer infrastructure, but I am absolutely too stupid to hhave admin rights on my windows laptop.

I find it hilarious when experienced admins take it personal when they don't have local admins rights on their machines. People who should understand the need to have standardized configurations across the enterprise for all the reasons they are necessary.

:smug:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Sickening posted:

I find it hilarious when experienced admins take it personal when they don't have local admins rights on their machines. People who should understand the need to have standardized configurations across the enterprise for all the reasons they are necessary.

Lookit this guy who doesn't run all standardized configurations in VMs so that he can test everything with snapshots.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Lookit this guy who doesn't run all standardized configurations in VMs so that he can test everything with snapshots.

Sucks for that guy, my GP always works. :smug:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Sickening posted:

I wouldn't mind it so much if my IT department could take care of routine requests and tasks in a timely manner.

The fact that the entire enterprise cannot use adobe reader for a week, due to their incompetence is a great example of the problem.

Plus, you're a shithead.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

nitrogen posted:

I wouldn't mind it so much if my IT department could take care of routine requests and tasks in a timely manner.

The fact that the entire enterprise cannot use adobe reader for a week, due to their incompetence is a great example of the problem.

Plus, you're a shithead.

I am a shithead, this much is known.

Things do get done in a timely manner though in my neck of the woods. I do however deal with devs, dba's, and everyone else who believe they should be the exception too. Everyone who has the same complaint you do just in different forms from time to time. If I never get to hear someone tell me how valuable their sandbox was yet they can't install itunes when they want I would die a happy man. If admin rights didn't cause the issues they do, I honestly wouldn't give a gently caress.

I thought on this quite a bit last week. My work would be so much easier if I didn't have to worry about security issues. poo poo would be so simple if only I didn't have to consider local admin rights, acl's, network permissions, and physical security. :smith:

Sickening fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 10, 2013

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Sickening posted:

I am always surprised when experienced admins have physical access to a machine and don't have local admin.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
D A M N I T

I was in our other building fixing this stupid goddamn email problem people are only having because they insist on using their personal laptops.... while a fist fight almost broke out...

One guy is this super intense angry bastard who, as I type this, is reaming some dude over the phone for not being able to fulfill some parts order.

The other dude is this goofy nice dude who is always smiling, always like "HEYYY DRUKQS HOWS IT GOIN BUDDY??" never seen or heard the guy do or say anything in anger.

Apparently their dispute got to the point where they were like "DONT TOUCH ME" "GET THE FSCK OUT OF MY FACE"

I'm here when the women's shitter is clogged, but I completely airballed a retard slapfight.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Slot load, yo. :v: I seem to recall popping open somone's case (might have been doing an upgrade or something) and finding frigging *coins* jammed up in there.

Often times that's the result of trying to wedge things in gaps to dampen the noisy vibration of an old power supply or something. There's usually at least some sort of reason. Ok, maybe not usually, but sometimes.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Entropic posted:

Often times that's the result of trying to wedge things in gaps to dampen the noisy vibration of an old power supply or something. There's usually at least some sort of reason. Ok, maybe not usually, but sometimes.

It's undoubtedly a toddler. They love to put things in other things

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Potato Alley posted:

I mean, this sounds like it wasn't a virtual server. But that can't be what you're saying. Can it? A non high-performance machine with no real need to be physical would of course be created as a VM in this day and age. Right? Right??

Who am I kidding, one of our clients still isn't convinced that virtualization doesn't create a 50% or greater performance hit on his lovely Business Objects server that is used by a grand total of 25 people, so I can believe that admins who don't have proper backups of their machines also don't know how to use virtualization properly.

Also, a year to build that, even with SCCM's complexity, seems....slow.

You should/can use VMs for high performance, too. We do for web hosting.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
We technically have local admin rights on or computers, but have software installed that won't let anything be installed or run that isn't on its whitelist. Really they are only useful for being able to install approved stuff without waiting a week or two for it to do it.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

dotster posted:

I am always surprised when experienced admins have physical access to a machine and don't have local admin.

We don't have admin rights to our local DC's (which is probably a good thing) despite being the I.T. department. Yeah, with physical access I know I can gain local admin privs, but I really have no reason to and it's not worth losing my job over.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

TWBalls posted:

We don't have admin rights to our local DC's (which is probably a good thing) despite being the I.T. department. Yeah, with physical access I know I can gain local admin privs, but I really have no reason to and it's not worth losing my job over.

I was not suggesting that you should break into the machine and if you don't really need it to do your job, no need to have it. They can't blame you for a problem that you can't cause right. :) Still, lots of folks I have worked with over the years have not been stopped by these things so it surprises me when I run into IT folks that want to keep life simple.

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".

Yea, I think starting a file push at 5 minutes from close for a desperate user was a good idea.

Ticket came in...
Subject: We don't have enough mans!
Summary: How are we supposed to eat all these cinnabons?! THIS IS AFFECTING PERFORMANCE!!!

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Sylink posted:

You should/can use VMs for high performance, too. We do for web hosting.

I meant more for stuff like high frequency trading, where as far as I know the latency of your NIC means the difference between starvation and extra 5 million on your bonus check - I presume those machines are all physical OS to make them as fast as possible. Personally I'm firmly of the opinion that for the 99% of companies that don't do that kind of poo poo a VM will incur so little performance hit these days, both because of the various extensions added to CPUs to enhance virtualized performance and because theoretically the VMware and Microsoft (and I suppose Xen) VM software stacks have gotten a lot more efficient, that it's absolutely not worth the loss of all the convenience, redundancy, blah blah, to make it a physical machine.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Yah, that make sense, but gently caress high frequency traders so I'm not sure how I feel :commissar:

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Sylink posted:

Yah, that make sense, but gently caress high frequency traders so I'm not sure how I feel :commissar:

not to derail too much, but HFT is generally seen as a good thing. It speeds price discovery and actually makes the market more stable, and makes it harder for the warren buffets of the world to see gaps and make billions off of them.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

It's great for technology because it gives smart people huge budgets and pushes boundaries, similar to how gaming advances desktop computer architecture and porn pushes web services. You're parroting HFT public relations talking points, though. HFT turns the small investor into a grease spot and has created situations where markets have varied wildly and people are unable to explain why. People like Buffet help the small investor by giving them strategies they can follow. HFT doesn't help anyone except for the HFT companies and the markets who serve them.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
A ticket came in...

Dumbass posted:

Spellcheck isn't working in Word and the options are greyed out. Please check the Office GPO to see if policy is turning it off.

A ticket was closed...

me posted:

Proofing module wasn't installed. Installed module, spellcheck works.

He doesn't even try to troubleshoot, took all of one Google search to get in depth troubleshooting steps from Microsoft.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

You wouldn't even have a job if your staff ever discover what :google: is.

...oh your stealth edit made my statement rather banal.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

You can choose not to install proofing?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

the littlest prince posted:

You can choose not to install proofing?

Yes, I've seen this often.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bort posted:

It's great for technology because it gives smart people huge budgets and pushes boundaries, similar to how gaming advances desktop computer architecture and porn pushes web services. You're parroting HFT public relations talking points, though. HFT turns the small investor into a grease spot and has created situations where markets have varied wildly and people are unable to explain why. People like Buffet help the small investor by giving them strategies they can follow. HFT doesn't help anyone except for the HFT companies and the markets who serve them.

HFT is also on the way out, for a whole host of reasons.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

hihifellow posted:

A ticket came in...

A ticket was closed...

He doesn't even try to troubleshoot, took all of one Google search to get in depth troubleshooting steps from Microsoft.

Hah! I had exactly the same issue today. A colleague of mine found that exact issue [In Outlook, not Word] - Instead of doing anything about it he just stealth closed the ticket and didn't bother telling the customer. It took me 10 seconds to navigate to the first Microsoft technet article.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Our IT managers have the same mortal fear of the cloud, but with better reason. A few of our executives thought it would be a great idea to use Dropbox to correspond on project. We caught them through the sheer amount of bandwidth being used, as they were uploading 5-20Gb PST files and sharing them to people outside the company. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I get the cloud fear: it freaks lawyers out. Your trade secrets go into some random company's privacy policy. :suicide:

• Locked thread