Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

MF_James posted:

this.is.seriously.important. Working from home 1 day a week will save me probably $15 and a 2hour round trip commute, allow me to sleep an extra hour, and not want to slaughter everyone since I work 6 days a week and spend about as much time in a vehicle (truck/car) as I do sleeping a week.

This is the best part besides not having to ever put on pants, I saved several hundred a month working from the house. I did make a habit of going to the office about once every two weeks just so people would see me occasionally and think I still worked there.

Sickening posted:

It appears my boss has just outlawed working from home for all the admins. He decided this while he was working from home it appears. It seems he is worried about our dept image if we don't have all the staff in the office everyday.

The irony hurts.

Does your company have a telecommuter policy? I got reclassified as a telecommuter so I was not expected to be in the office ever, my boss cares about what people get done and can quantify than what people feel like is being done though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Wonder if I should put in my vacation request now for the local WorldCon in 2015...

Is that the one in London, or is that 2014? (Not sure as my GF is organising our trip to this con)

I'm going to that, and as soon as we've finished getting borged into the new company I'm putting in requests for all the cons I'm doing this next couple of years.

seadweller
Mar 30, 2010
Has anyone ranted about printers today yet? No? Right - HP why do you feel that making a crucial part of a heavy duty printer out of plastic so that it snaps cleanly off is a good idea? Can I suggest some harder wearing substance hmm metal perhaps? FFS I'm now remapping an entire corridor of users because of this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Let's explore the IT storage room

Gateway Pentium 450. Yes really. We haven't had one chance to throw this thing away in the last ten years. Good thing it has all those HP servers to keep it company. They are Xeons but I don't know if they are P3 or P4.

Old software and books. The next row is all DOS. There are also great books like "Getting to know your Leading Edge computer!" (That used to be a brand name a long time ago)

We have a couple piles of lovely broken laptops. Why don't we throw these away? None of them work. And they're all Pentium M or Core Duo.

Here's a few stacks of 'new' PC's waiting to go out on the office floor. Since we have people that are still using loving Pentium 4's that take a halr hour to boot up and load MS Office. My boss can't pass up a good deal so when he sees a lot of 10 refurbished AMD X2's or A4's on the internet he scoops them up!

He gave one to a developer, with 32-bit Windows and 3GB of RAM. I would have quit on the spot if I were that poor fucker.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Looks and sounds a lot like my last job. One of my last tasks there was cleaning out half that kind of poo poo. I got rid of all the P2s & 3s that were in storage. (I think two poor fuckers were still USING P3s though). My boss wouldn't let me throw out the books. I did get rid of all the Win3.11 boxes + related software though.

edit: not sure what I did with the pictures of the drawers full of 3.11 boxes. Darn.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 10, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

teethgrinder posted:

Looks and sounds a lot like my last job. One of my last tasks there was cleaning out half that kind of poo poo. I got rid of all the P2s & 3s that were in storage. (I think two poor fuckers were still USING P3s though). My boss wouldn't let me throw out the books. I did get rid of all the Win3.11 boxes + related software though.

My boss's excuse is they haven't had time to schedule a disposal pickup. But it's just part of the way he works where he keeps poo poo around for as long as possible because he is such a cheap gently caress. He was using a CRT when I started.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
My former job didn't have anything as stupendously old as a P3-450 box (although they DID have a typewriter!), but what they lacked in age they certainly made up for in messiness!

If you guys can con Drighton into posting pictures of it, you'll get a laugh.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
It pisses me off when some cloud architect comes in the room to tell me how some application works using nothing but Salesforce.com as a reference. It pisses me off even more when it's clear he doesn't actually know how Salesforce.com is architected. It pisses me off most when I realize 5 minutes into the meeting that he doesn't even know how to spell the name of the application which he's trying to describe.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

teethgrinder posted:

My boss wouldn't let me throw out the books.
Self-quote, but I just remembered a very pertinent detail. This is the same boss that only works in classic ASP.

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

wintermuteCF posted:

My former job didn't have anything as stupendously old as a P3-450 box (although they DID have a typewriter!), but what they lacked in age they certainly made up for in messiness!

If you guys can con Drighton into posting pictures of it, you'll get a laugh.

Alas most of it has been cleaned up and I never took any pictures. Even if I did, this is a very paranoid and litigious company, so I'm extra careful about what I post.

The Toshibas, Inspirons, and Vostros are gone, the cabinet drawers were cleaned out, the old yellow NAS boxes were recycled and anything that was kept was organized somewhat neatly. Although I did start a minor war trying to clean out the server room, since the boss had to get involved to say what had to be kept. But I challenged every decision like it was a Hoarders episode. Anything I felt was unnecessary that he wouldn't let go ended up in his office (including the Typewriter).

Drighton fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 10, 2013

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Files provided by a company you will have heard of (Fairly confident this is anonymous enough!)
Co-worker found these powerpoint files (yes, there is a major vendor out there that sends out forms to be filled in as powerpoints) were crashing Mac Office and decided to check for viruses. I really REALLY hope these are false positives, especially as I opened them on my machine to work on them (x64 office with macros off) and my antivirus didn't pick up anything.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mac Office crashing is a feature. It's not because of a virus.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

Drighton posted:

Alas most of it has been cleaned up and I never took any pictures. Even if I did, this is a very paranoid and litigious company, so I'm extra careful about what I post.

The Toshibas, Inspirons, and Vostros are gone, the cabinet drawers were cleaned out, the old yellow NAS boxes were recycled and anything that was kept was organized somewhat neatly. Although I did start a minor war trying to clean out the server room, since the boss had to get involved to say what had to be kept. But I challenged every decision like it was a Hoarders episode. Anything I felt was unnecessary that he wouldn't let go ended up in his office (including the Typewriter).

No way! Did He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named finally get yelled at about the condition of your storage? Did that giant cabinet filled with 710m's finally get nuked? And he kept the typewriter? Oh man, I'm dying of laughter here :D

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I'm trying to get a replacement CD From some HP software that we seem to have lost. So I sent them copies of the original order and license keys and such that they sent us back in 2004.

HP Outsourced Support posted:

Hi Bob, regarding your concern can you please tell me in what link you are find this item.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Bob Morales posted:

Mac Office crashing is a feature. It's not because of a virus.

When I try and open office on my mac, there is a 50/50 chance that it will just crash when it opens. Its insane how bad it is.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Every time I try to use Office on my Mac it wants to update, and then the updater doesn't quit and eats CPU until I force quit it.

It's like they made it bad on purpose.

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

wintermuteCF posted:

No way! Did He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named finally get yelled at about the condition of your storage? Did that giant cabinet filled with 710m's finally get nuked? And he kept the typewriter? Oh man, I'm dying of laughter here :D

Nah, we were forced to clean things up when the department was relocated. Yeah those 710's are gone too.

I get that he's been around a while and might be attached to something 'historical' or whatever. But I would expect an IT guy to be emotionally attached to the company's first server or something of that vein, not a loving typewriter.

After cleaning out one of the IDF's which had boxes of tangled cables and devices that haven't been used in years, I caught him digging through the trash bin as I left that day.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Typewriters are awesome, and I would totally keep one in my office if I had either an office or a typewriter.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Inspector_71 posted:

Typewriters are awesome, and I would totally keep one in my office if I had either an office or a typewriter.

We have antique (aren't they all) typewriters all over our HQ on top of the filing cabinets. I will snap a pic.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I found an electric typewriter in my basement at home during high school. Whenever I made mix CDs I would type up liner notes using it.

I think I actually wrote at least one essay on it, too.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

Inspector_71 posted:

If I had a manual typewriter, I would totally (and unironically) assign it to people as a loaner machine in the event of user-created damage.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
I get disproportionately pissed off when people CC their boss or an executive every time they email a request. Joe Shmoe project manager CC's his boss and former director of operations every single time he emails me to tell me he can't scan or what have you. It's hard to not straight up ignore those requests out of spite. This same user emailed me a request to compose an out of office reply for an employee in his department who quit. Do I look like your scribe, rear end in a top hat?

Also; holy poo poo I take people who can browse the internet for granted. Every now and then I'll run into some sheltered retard who can't even type in a URL or click on things without doing something horribly wrong. Trying to get remotely connected using gotoassist with idiots makes me want to eat my desk phone.

e: :laffo: I need to get a loaner typewriter.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
We get a few like that. Message going to the helpdesk? Better address it to the helpdesk, and make sure to CC every member of the IT department, the school principal, the vice-principal, and then a few other random addresses for good measure.

Number of people who receive it? 8. Number of people who care? 1.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

When I deal with CC: whores I just make sure to keep everyone copied CC'ed on all subsequent emails even if they are dropped after the initial email. It is also good to send several status emails on the issue daily so everyone knows the status, it must be urgent if they copied everyone. Be very polite and professional and their manager will take care of it for you in most cases. :)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I YOTJ'd last year when my boss founded a start-up. He'd left a major company he was VP at, feeling it was a sinking ship and the CEO was toxic.

One of that company's ripped-off investors finally had enough, just bought the whole thing and ousted the CEO.

Now the new owner is looking to recruit my boss back :ohdear:

edit:

I don't think my boss would leave me in a lurch, but working at that company would be ... very less-than-ideal for me. Going to work on getting my driver's license ASAP...

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

SPF and cheap barcode scanners are the poison today...

Is SPF as poorly implemented as it seems to be? I've got several different sources authorized to send mail from our main domain, including a Wordpress/Community site, Office365, a web server on premises, another web server at a colo, a couple of IP addresses, etc. I understand the need to prevent needless DNS lookups, so too many makes your record invalid, but one of the IPs is also the mail server for an old company of my boss'. Even though the IP is explicitly included, the reverse DNS lookup shows this other domain that's not authorized by name to send mail so our record is considered a failure. The record is very long: Five IPs, one A record, one include and two mx entries.

The "Barcode Scanner" comes with a programming sheet that has each barcode for the programming less than 3mm from its neighbor, and the minimum size the laser bar makes is about three times as wide as each code. Along with this I was offered a Wasp WWS800 manual, it took me a little while to notice it wasn't a Wasp reader, so of course the programming info doesn't work either. Of course, it's also Bluetooth and the USB charging cable only has two wires, and so the cable certainly isn't going to improve my programming options. I'll probably look into making the software (Filemaker report) it interacts with not require this tab character at the end of each bar code. The current wired model appends 090A0D, the new one just 0A0D.

the bravest snowball
May 23, 2004

Hi I'm Buddy-dot-gif

goobernoodles posted:

Also; holy poo poo I take people who can browse the internet for granted. Every now and then I'll run into some sheltered retard who can't even type in a URL or click on things without doing something horribly wrong. Trying to get remotely connected using gotoassist with idiots makes me want to eat my desk phone.

Yeah, I can't believe how many idiots can't type "fastsupport.com" then hit enter. More often than not they end up typing the URL into the search box or into the page they're viewing and they end up clicking some advertisement.

Also, when GoToAssist goes to launch and the user says, "Click yes or run when prompted, what does that mean?"

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
So true with cc. I just reply-all to cover my arse but surely it causes a lot of clutter.

Did a walk around yesterday. It's supposed to be good service. In fact everyone was just WHAT DO YOU WANT WHY AREN'T YOU IN YOUR CAVE? :argh:

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

Thermal printers. Over serial.

Over parallel, through a network box.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Inspector_71 posted:

I found an electric typewriter in my basement at home during high school. Whenever I made mix CDs I would type up liner notes using it.

I think I actually wrote at least one essay on it, too.

My father had an electronic typewriter (a :airquote: word processor :airquote:) at his office for a long time. It was actually sort of neat; there was an input buffer with a small 80x4 screen hooked up to the keyboard, and the strikers would methodically pull a key off of the buffer until empty. If you made a mistake typing, you could hit backspace. If the text had not yet been printed, you were just amending the buffer. Otherwise, the built in white out strips would recover for you.

It was a nice piece of transition technology, I have to admit.

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013

dotster posted:

When I deal with CC: whores I just make sure to keep everyone copied CC'ed on all subsequent emails even if they are dropped after the initial email. It is also good to send several status emails on the issue daily so everyone knows the status, it must be urgent if they copied everyone. Be very polite and professional and their manager will take care of it for you in most cases. :)

This works a treat, I do it all the time - I love how the final 'thanks' email is always from the one single account :D

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I hate people who CC the world too, but I think I hate people who turn on read receipts for all emails even more. Nothing you do is that important, assholes. I decline to send them whenever possible.

Annoyingly, iOS automatically sends them when requested. As far as I can tell there's no way to disable that behavior, nor does it so much as tell you one was requested.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Toxteth OGrady posted:

This works a treat, I do it all the time - I love how the final 'thanks' email is always from the one single account :D

CC everyone and respond with "You are welcome. Please make sure to keep me posted of any further issues."

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013

guppy posted:

I hate people who CC the world too, but I think I hate people who turn on read receipts for all emails even more. Nothing you do is that important, assholes. I decline to send them whenever possible.

Annoyingly, iOS automatically sends them when requested. As far as I can tell there's no way to disable that behavior, nor does it so much as tell you one was requested.

grrrr, read receipts. So passive aggressive. I can't click 'no' fast enough.

Sounds like another reason to avoid ithings amirite?

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

the bravest snowball posted:

Yeah, I can't believe how many idiots can't type "fastsupport.com" then hit enter. More often than not they end up typing the URL into the search box or into the page they're viewing and they end up clicking some advertisement.

Also, when GoToAssist goes to launch and the user says, "Click yes or run when prompted, what does that mean?"

I had a guy at a previous job who I literally had to teach to use the internet in order to fix his issue. I got audited on the call and was marked off pretty badly for being "audibly frustrated."

I think people put up mental blocks. As in "I'm not good with computers." And then they just give up. And expect you to make it work for them.

Pissing me off today:

MS Office licenses cost almost twice what Win 7/8 licenses do. I get why this makes sense from MS's standpoint, but it is making it much harder for me to replace computers around here.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Toxteth OGrady posted:

grrrr, read receipts. So passive aggressive. I can't click 'no' fast enough.

Sounds like another reason to avoid ithings amirite?

i'd love to see read receipts get used at my current job. instead the big bosses demand that everyone reply to every email, no matter how insignificant. if you don't do this you usually get a followup email or phone call.

yes, i got the email, if i didn't get it you'd get a bounceback error you fuckwit

Fortunately, I'm leaving this place after next Tues :toot:

emdash fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 11, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I need to use read receipts because so many people here just ignore important announcements and just say they didn't get the email.

Not that it helps much... I had to schedule some work, lab imaging mostly, around a custodian's schedule (doing the floors and stuff, so no one could be on them for a week). When I turn up to get started, they're already doing the floors. Apparently she didn't get the email.

Even after printing off her side of the email chain, where she plainly stated that I was there at a good time and they wouldn't be started until the next week, she flat out denied ever getting the email. She's a bit on an inbred troll so not indicative of most people, but still that was infuriating trying to reschedule the rest of my summer while still being accommodating to people that can read and write.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

TheQat posted:

yes, i got the email, if i didn't get it you'd get a bounceback error you fuckwit

Could have gotten stuck in a spam filter or Outlook rule or....

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Bob Morales posted:

Could have gotten stuck in a spam filter or Outlook rule or....

the people making these rules don't know what either of those things are. they're barely computer literate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

TheQat posted:

the people making these rules don't know what either of those things are. they're barely computer literate.

I had someone freak out and do a cc-to-everyone-important including all of the firm's partners and my boss because I "broke the email" when they had just set up a rule that automatically deleted all email coming from a specific email address.

Who knows what the gently caress they were thinking.

Doing a reply-to-all when that happens is kind of satisfying though.