Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rahu X posted:

I remember the days when people use to be enraged over Firefox 4.0's UI changes.

The heat death of the universe is pretty much the only thing that can stop the internet from freaking the gently caress out about minor UI changes in web browsers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

withak posted:

The heat death of the universe is pretty much the only thing that can stop the internet from freaking the gently caress out about minor UI changes in web browsers.
I welcome UI changes as long as I get to keep panorama :colbert:

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Dice Dice Baby posted:

I welcome UI changes as long as I get to keep panorama :colbert:

Moonchild has an addon for that.

withak posted:

Except this one does not seem so minor in my opinion.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Panorama is supposed to be surviving as an addon, for those of us who actually found and use it. So that's nice, at least.

Regarding search: eh. I used keyword triggers in the URL bar for a while around ten years ago, because some browser hack I was using (Crazybrowser?) had it and my first brush with tabs. The whole thing really didn't grab me, but my housemate loves it.

I prefer a simple error message when I mistype a URL, or accidentally paste a string of text into the URL bar. For me, being dumped out to a search window --and if it isn't Firefox sending me to Google, my ISP is going to try, and I've had DNS providers do the same drat thing-- is annoyingly intrusive. I'm admittedly a weird case, but I figure there's someone else out there who knows how to hack this stuff and has the same bugbears, who is willing to share how to hack it. And if not, I'll cope.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Fangs404 posted:

Since we're talking about address/search bar poo poo, I figured I'd give props to InstantFox. It's like Omnibar, but it's completely customizable. "y ufc" searches youtube for ufc. I added one for imdb - "i lost" searches imdb for lost. It's really great. I used to really like the separate awesome bar and search bars, but this extension has changed my opinion.

This short-cut functionality has been in Firefox for ages just by using keywords, like Avenging Dentist posted about earlier.

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai

withak posted:

To be fair, it's not that minor (it's pretty much making Firefox look and function like Chrome skin deep), but I do agree with you on that.

As always though, the UI will be further refined with time, and people will probably learn to accept it. Those who don't will move onto other web browsers.

At least it wasn't as large of a change between Presto based Opera 12 and Webkit/Blink based Opera 15. I can only imagine how upset Opera 12 users were.

Guerrand
Mar 12, 2006

RING RING RING RING RING RING

Gromit posted:

This short-cut functionality has been in Firefox for ages just by using keywords, like Avenging Dentist posted about earlier.

Shortcut, sure. But Instantfox does autocomplete, like the search bar and unlike search keywords. (It also does Google Instant-like page loading but I've turned that off.) Moreover, since the autocomplete and the search urls can be independently defined, you can do things like search a website that doesn't support autocomplete using suggestions culled from Google's autocomplete.

Guerrand fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 10, 2013

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Avenging Dentist posted:

As I mentioned above, "Firefox picks the currently-selected search instead of the default search engine because third parties kept changing users' default engine." It was causing a lot of confusion for people.

If the currently selected engine is not the same thing as the default engine, how do you change the default engine? Does the default engine actually do anything?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Applebees posted:

If the currently selected engine is not the same thing as the default engine, how do you change the default engine? Does the default engine actually do anything?

I think the default engine used to be determined by some hidden prefs.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Rahu X posted:

I can only imagine how upset Opera 12 users were.

I'm still using Opera 12 as my main browser. Currently I'm still more likely to switch to Firefox or Chrome than Opera.. 17 I think is the next version.

If I'm going to have to unlearn my old habits, I might as well go with a browser that has market share/support.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Why are HTTP Auth requests still presented to the user as pop up dialog boxes, that steal focus from other tabs, and lock you from doing anything else with Firefox until you type in the information and hit OK? Why don't these work like javascript alerts or use notification bars?

Is this problem fixed in Australis?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I'm using Aurora 26 on Windows 8.1 - the shortcut on the Start screen starts up the Metro version of Aurora, and when I click links from inside other Metro apps it opens there as well.

How can I essentially disable Metro Aurora?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Does anyone else use Firefox nightly on android? I use it as my default browser, and I had aurora installed too. Sadly something with the update when haywire yesterday, and used 60+ % of my battery in the space of 3 hours. I deleted and reinstalled and it seems fine again now.

Oddly I finally had to reset my long serving Firefox profile at work today. It was hitting 800MB with 10 tabs open, and lagging a bit.
I checked afterwards and my old profile had got up to 1.6GB.
It's nice and snappy now, and sync has got me back almost everything I had setup before. My addons all reappeared magically. Sadly all the extension settings didn't though.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

How can I change the way searching from the URL bar works back to the way it used to? Before, no matter what the actual search bar was set to it would just use Google from the URL bar. And I could put in "wiki pineapples" and it would bring me to the pineapples wiki page. Recently it changed somehow, and now I need to set the search bar to Wikipedia for it to go to Wikipedia, and I can't put "wiki" in front or it tries to search in Wikipedia for "wiki pineapples" and obviously that doesn't work. If I set the search bar to Google, it will just Google "wiki pineapples" and not actually go to the page automatically.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

drunken officeparty posted:

And I could put in "wiki pineapples" and it would bring me to the pineapples wiki page. Recently it changed somehow, and now I need to set the search bar to Wikipedia for it to go to Wikipedia, and I can't put "wiki" in front or it tries to search in Wikipedia for "wiki pineapples" and obviously that doesn't work.

Create a keyword search by clicking on the search box dropdown and going to Manage Search Engines. Add keywords for the various searches you care about, and then use those keywords in the address bar.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Try instantfox too, it's an addon which does the same, and comes with some keywords already configured.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Instant Fox doesn't seem to work with POST based search forms (like the forums search) though.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Do any of the desktop browsers (ie, ff, chrome, opera) have the equivalent of the double-tab feature on mobile browsers? Where it does a smart-zoom in on whatever DOM element you double tapped? It's probably the most useful feature of mobile browsers, I wonder why it hasn't made its way back to the PC.

I like being able to load up some lovely page, like a HuffPo article, and then have the browser zoom in so that all the side bars and crap are excluded, and all that's left is the content itself. Why can't we do that on the desktop versions? (Or can we now, and I've just missed it?)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

xamphear posted:

Why are HTTP Auth requests still presented to the user as pop up dialog boxes, that steal focus from other tabs, and lock you from doing anything else with Firefox until you type in the information and hit OK? Why don't these work like javascript alerts or use notification bars?

Is this problem fixed in Australis?

File picker dialogs as well.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Does anyone know of an extension that prevents sites from stealing the '/' keypress event? I use the '/' key a lot for the built-in find on page and it's incredibly annoying when a site steals it for their own search box.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Will they finally ship that new Australis theme next week with FF25, or is it pushed back for the 17th time?

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Looks like Mozilla released Lightbeam two days ago—I'm going to let it run on my home and work machines to see what gets collected. One thing worth mentioning: it looks like it installs set to disabled for some reason, so you have to manually enable it via the Add-ons page.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

sauer kraut posted:

Will they finally ship that new Australis theme next week with FF25, or is it pushed back for the 17th time?

It's still not in Aurora 26, so it'll be another few months at least before it's in the release version. Parts of it have already been implemented though, and I'm told it's not entirely front-facing UI stuff - they apparently rushed out a lot of UI code to ship Firefox 4 (it was delayed by nearly a year). Mozilla has spent the past 2 years replacing or removing poo poo code that slowed down responsiveness etc.

I'd say that a lot of the resources Mozilla would have poured in to the desktop versions have been reallocated to mobile, which is why it's taking more than 2 years to ship Australis from the initial mockups.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Firefox 25 is here, with HTML5 audio support!

Google Music doesn't work with it :eng99:

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

fivre posted:

Firefox 25 is here, with HTML5 audio support!

Google Music doesn't work with it :eng99:

Is this a bug, or because Mozilla won't support the mp3 format?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

xamphear posted:

Is this a bug, or because Mozilla won't support the mp3 format?

Firefox has supported the MP3 format for quite a while (at least on Windows Vista+). MP3 support for XP (and probably Linux) is coming in 26. Not sure about OS X. The new audio stuff in Firefox 25 is the Web Audio API, which lets you do considerably more advanced stuff than mere <audio> tags, like generating audio from waveforms, really low latency, etc. It's mainly for games, but an HTML5 music player could probably take advantage of it to get gapless playback.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Avenging Dentist posted:

Firefox has supported the MP3 format for quite a while (at least on Windows Vista+). MP3 support for XP (and probably Linux) is coming in 26. Not sure about OS X. The new audio stuff in Firefox 25 is the Web Audio API, which lets you do considerably more advanced stuff than mere <audio> tags, like generating audio from waveforms, really low latency, etc. It's mainly for games, but an HTML5 music player could probably take advantage of it to get gapless playback.

So why doesn't FF work with Google Music's HTML5 playback?

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

hoping for Australis when Aurora 27 drops

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

xamphear posted:

I don't use Google Music, so I'm just gonna go with "because Google sucks", which is probably close enough to the truth anyway.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

xamphear posted:

Google Music only supports the deprecated Mozilla Audio Data API from Firefox 4.0, which was experimental and non-standard. This API was turned off in Firefox 25 in favor of the HTML5 Web Audio API, and Google doesn't fall back to the cross-platform method.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Alereon posted:

Google Music only supports the deprecated Mozilla Audio Data API from Firefox 4.0, which was experimental and non-standard. This API was turned off in Firefox 25 in favor of the HTML5 Web Audio API, and Google doesn't fall back to the cross-platform method.

Ahh, that makes sense. Hopefully they'll sort it out soon, having to turn flash back on is a bummer.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

drunken officeparty posted:

How can I change the way searching from the URL bar works back to the way it used to? Before, no matter what the actual search bar was set to it would just use Google from the URL bar. And I could put in "wiki pineapples" and it would bring me to the pineapples wiki page. Recently it changed somehow, and now I need to set the search bar to Wikipedia for it to go to Wikipedia, and I can't put "wiki" in front or it tries to search in Wikipedia for "wiki pineapples" and obviously that doesn't work. If I set the search bar to Google, it will just Google "wiki pineapples" and not actually go to the page automatically.

You'll want this addon:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/keywordurl-hack/

It'll restore the old url bar behavior, unless it broke since I last looked at it. The description says it's a sloppy implementation, hopefully it'll work well enough or someone will come up with a better alternative.

edit: I've been experimenting with Chrome so I forgot I actually was using this in my firefox:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/keyword-search/?src=search

From what I recall I preferred this over the hack above.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 30, 2013

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Hm, I guess it's about time for the thread title to be updated again.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Alereon posted:

That's weird, before it would just auto-failback to Flash like Youtube does.

Well, now Youtube seems to be pretty reliably converting new stuff into webp or whatever Firefox <video> supports, but only at 360p. Oh well.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Mr.Radar posted:

Does anyone know of an extension that prevents sites from stealing the '/' keypress event? I use the '/' key a lot for the built-in find on page and it's incredibly annoying when a site steals it for their own search box.
'Fraid I can't help you specifically, but have you considered just enabling type-ahead search under Options->Advanced->General tab? It's the number one feature that makes me stick with FF instead of Chrome. That way you can just begin typing to search.

There's also generally a config: setting that toggles whether FF always takes a first look at pressed keys, overriding a website's own interpretation of them, but I forgot what it's called. For example on Wikipedia, you can press Alt+F to focus the search box, and you'll have to press Shift+Alt+F to send Alt+F to FF itself. The setting reverses this.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Fangs404 posted:

Hm, I guess it's about time for the thread title to be updated again.
Firefox: Australis coming 2016!

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

The Merkinman posted:

Firefox: Australis coming 2016!

Don't forget "Electrolosis coming 2020!"

Oh, and in case anyone is curious a bunch of Mozilla employees (volunteers?) did an Ask Me Anything over on Reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1phhx1/we_are_mozilla_ask_us_anything/

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Looks like Firefox is going to get h.264 support across the board now, thanks to Cisco of all things.

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2013/10/30/video-interoperability-on-the-web-gets-a-boost-from-ciscos-h-264-codec/

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

xamphear posted:

Looks like Firefox is going to get h.264 support across the board now, thanks to Cisco of all things.

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2013/10/30/video-interoperability-on-the-web-gets-a-boost-from-ciscos-h-264-codec/

Too bad they aren't getting AAC support with it. This is just for WebRTC (hence Cisco's involvement), which primarily uses Opus and G.711. It's not meant for YouTube or other video sites, so I doubt there will be an easy way around the patent issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

dpbjinc posted:

Too bad they aren't getting AAC support with it. This is just for WebRTC (hence Cisco's involvement), which primarily uses Opus and G.711. It's not meant for YouTube or other video sites, so I doubt there will be an easy way around the patent issues.

This actually brings up something I've wondered about. Mozilla has implemented PDF support in JavaScript and is working on Flash support, what is there to stop them from implementing AAC the same way? A group did this a few years back. (search for aac.js) Keep in mind it's only is for decoding. I just wonder what makes reverse engineering flash and pdf different than reverse engineering a codec.