Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So I've been debating this over the summer, and I finally decided. I'm going to run a best song competition through the next hiatus. Nominations will last until the Thursday after the winter hiatus begins, with the tournament likely beginning the Sunday after.

Three rules for nominations:
1) Please wait until a week after First Listen Monday in order to give you time to properly appreciate the song, process how much the performance affects the song, and get rid of both positive and negative initial feelings. Any nomination submitted before this grace period shall be ignored. (The songs from The Quarterback will not be eligible until 10/14 at midnight, Eastern time.)
2) Please submit your nominations (no formal limit, but please do not just nominate every song your favorite singer sang... unless it's Tina; that's not too many) to GleeBestiesSA@gmail.com, with the subject "Glee Besties," so that my gmail filter will forward it to my main email.
3) Please submit the songs in this format:
Song Title - Season #, Episode #, "Title" - Singer(s) (Character name or appropriate nickname, please. Sebastian Smug is fine, G-Gus Dark Lord of Dalton would be rejected). Bold and italics optional. Please include your SA name in the body of the email so that I may know who nominated what. I will likely place a name next to the person who nominated it.

The tournament will be double elimination, with per-selected filler songs serving to balance the brackets.

Nominations open at Midnight Eastern time on 10/11 (so in like 2 minutes). Get nominating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Oh gently caress, Burt talking about hugs. His mom..this whole scene... :cry:

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
West Coast DVR screening just completed and wow -- that was really really nice and emotional. I made it okay until I got to the Hudson-Hummel clan and how real that was, well at least how real it could be for a TV show. I think it perfectly sums up how it feels for a parent to lose a child and the grief that comes with it.

Episode did have it flaws, but it really did feel like a Season 1 type of episode. Nice to see the old Rachel.

Only problem with the episode was Will stealing the jacket and letting everyone blame Puck. Just came across as creepy - I get the background and understanding why he did and it was very in character. Just removed me from the emotion of the scene because all I kept thinking was "wow, dude, don't steal a coat from a girl who is sleeping in the nurse's office and then lie about where it is."

Good job Glee. It's been awhile since we could say that. Also, having the newbies not say much was great because it was like a homecoming for the original cast.

Tuna_Fish_Odyssey
May 15, 2013

courtney_beth posted:

Only problem with the episode was Will stealing the jacket and letting everyone blame Puck.

Yeah, that kinda bothered me too, but still, that was a hell of an ending scene, so I'm willing to, once again, leave logic at the door for the sake of Glee.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
I'm glad that Will broke down in private - Finn was his best man and best friend. It'd make sense that after everyone else cried he would too. And in a way the show started with Will seeking out Finn and it seemed like a good way to end it.

I'm getting sad thinking about it again :(

We need some happiness in this thread!

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

courtney_beth posted:

We need some happiness in this thread!

I don't think there are enough kitten pictures on the internet to help me right now. :(

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
I'm glad they didn't screw this up. It was nice feeling something for Glee other than loathing.

RobinPierce
Aug 29, 2009
My god, I made it 1.14 seconds in before I got misty eyed.

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
Just finished the episode. I'm surprised I didn't break down into an ugly sob, but from "Seasons of Love" and onward I had that misty-eyed, tight chest feeling and it hasn't stopped yet. The ONLY thing that would have made that song more emotional is if they had stood in a single line with one space missing like they do in Rent.

The Hummel/Hudson scene broke me. Puck freaking out in the locker room broke me. Lea singing one of my absolute favorite songs of all time (and seeing everyone sob during it) broke me. Then WILL FINALLY BROKE DOWN and that was it. Jesus Tap-Dancing CHRIST.

It really was like saying goodbye to a friend. Have a good line, indeed.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS

KilGrey posted:

I don't think there are enough kitten pictures on the internet to help me right now. :(

You could always try the SA Kitten Cam? A new batch of kittens are up and playing (:3:), though you could move the DVR back and forth to find them active. It's helping me a bit.

http://new.livestream.com/FosterKittenCam/TheArtificialIntelligenceFosters

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
This may sound bad, but my favorite scene was Tina complaining about having to wear black, it was just such a perfect Glee moment, to make fun of things in a sad episode.

Tuna_Fish_Odyssey
May 15, 2013
When Glee is all said and done, I would love to know what Jenna and Dianna did to make the writers seemingly hate them so.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

KilGrey posted:

I haven't read the rest of the thread because I just started the episode. I'll be honest, I was kinda rolling my eyes at some of you saying you didn't know if you could watch and how you'd cry. I'm kind of a bitch and don't get emotional at stuff often. But gently caress...I just watched the first song and I don't know if I can do it. You can just so clearly see the pain on their faces. gently caress this is so meta and just...gah.

Can someone send me a box of tissues and a pint of ice cream stat, please?

Yeah, that's what happened with me, too. I normally have a heart of stone and never cry at stuff on TV but this episode was the thing that did it. I think it's mainly because the grief was real.

Tuna_Fish_Odyssey posted:

When Glee is all said and done, I would love to know what Jenna and Dianna did to make the writers seemingly hate them so.

I'm not sure about Jenna. With Dianna, depending on who you listen to she had a humongous fight with either Ryan Murphy or Lea. Who the gently caress knows if any of it's true?

KenjiKaizoku
Oct 21, 2008
The writers don't hate Jenna and Diana. They just never knew how to write for them, and still don't. So, whenever they're the focus of any scene or episode, they end up looking like terrible people. This isn't to be attributed to malice -- it was stupidity killed the beast.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I'm just glad they actually memorialized Finn Hudson and not some perfect saint we've never met before. Nothing about the S3 finale pissed me off more than the attempted canonization of Finn. He wasn't perfect. He didn't need to be perfect. He just needed to try, and to learn, and slowly but surely, he did. That was what I loved about him. And I was so worried that the character was going to get lost in the show's need to memorialize Cory, but he didn't. They remembered Finn. Goofy, phrase-mangling, chair-kicking, sweethearted Finn. :unsmith:

I'm going to miss that boy.

Arclight
Jan 26, 2006

I'm not sure how much truth to the rumors that Lea Michele and Ryan Murphy purposely kept Dianna out of this episode, but her absence is totally jarring, especially given all of the history between Finn and Quinn. The fact that she's only mentioned once in the entire episode certainly makes me think that there's something going on more than just what the Glee PR machine is saying, but I guess we'll never know for sure.

I think Santana was trying to make up for Quinn's absence, especially with the tirade at Sue and the scene on the empty stage. I felt like that should have been Quinn all along.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Is it possible to have some kind of "Stop feeding rumors about Dianna Agron" moratorium or something? I'm so sick of repeatedly seeing scandals based on literally nothing but LA gossip rags each and every time her name gets brought up here, along with the usual "Wow writers must hate actors if they can't write the characters well!" shindigs that go round and round and round.

Anyway, what a one-of-a-kind episode. To be completely honest I was totally prepared and braced myself for all manner of narrative faults, weird characterization, pacing issues, or even shoddy editing, simply based on the fact that these were pretty extenuating circumstances that no one should ever have to make a TV show under, but when all was said and done it was really one of the best, tightest episodes of any series ever. It's easy to forget that, at the end of the day, these are all people who make a living manipulating the hell out of our emotions. :shobon:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I'm glad that in such a heartrending, brutal episode, they still gave us one more instance of Will Schuester being the Worst Person Alive to laugh at.

Before ending on a grown man sobbing his loving heart out. :(

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

See, I would gladly accept that kind of Worst Person Alive behavior from Will on a regular basis; like, it's so freaking terrible but it's also really humanizing and tragic. If we got that on the regular instead of...the stuff we usually get...the guy wouldn't be so bad after all.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

That is probably the worst thing Will has ever done, in my opinion. What a piece of poo poo. He has no boundaries.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Dianna wasn't in the episode because she was promoting a movie at roughly the same time as filming would've happened.

Quinn was awful because they had no idea what to do with her after those first 13 episodes. Similarly, Tina is awful because they feel forced to give her screentime but still don't know what to do with her either. I wouldn't be surprised if she's as gone from the show as Quinn once she graduates.

I mean, there's a hundred and one rumors that will probably never be completely confirmed or denied. The only reason I'm sure any of them have caught on at all is because Ryan Murphy has come across as a spiteful dick in the past (see: his "feud" with Kings of Leon or whoever about getting music rights).

cathalc
Oct 9, 2008

Well if it'll make you feel better, you could punch me in the face.
I too felt kinda bad for Jenna getting stuck with the role of the person who makes the death all about them, but I guess the show needed a moment of humor to let people come up for air. And they at least threw in a close up of her bawling during Rachel's song so she didn't come off completely heartless.

Rachel was what broke me. I'd had some tears in my eyes that I held back in pretty much every other scene and then that just did me in. It was a strange thing to notice but it was really obvious they were using the studio recording here (as they do for pretty much every song) because it sounded way too held together for how she looked. I can't imagine how sad the actual rendition Lea did in the choir room sounded.

And, I didn't like myself for it but I did chuckle a little at going from "Finn Hudson, 1994-2013" to "Cory Monteith, 1982-2013"

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

cathalc posted:

Rachel was what broke me. I'd had some tears in my eyes that I held back in pretty much every other scene and then that just did me in. It was a strange thing to notice but it was really obvious they were using the studio recording here (as they do for pretty much every song) because it sounded way too held together for how she looked. I can't imagine how sad the actual rendition Lea did in the choir room sounded.

I honestly think that, just for this episode, they should have done live singing instead.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

BreakAtmo posted:

I honestly think that, just for this episode, they should have done live singing instead.

That's way to difficult to do, even on a non-emotional day. One scene on a TV show can take a whole day to shoot, there is no way their voices would hold up through all the takes and re-sets.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

KilGrey posted:

That's way to difficult to do, even on a non-emotional day. One scene on a TV show can take a whole day to shoot, there is no way their voices would hold up through all the takes and re-sets.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, though. You don't always want everything to sound perfect and polished.

Tuna_Fish_Odyssey
May 15, 2013

XboxPants posted:

You don't always want everything to sound perfect and polished.

Not if you want to get those sweet iTunes downloads.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

KilGrey posted:

XboxPants posted:

That's not necessarily a bad thing, though. You don't always want everything to sound perfect and polished.

This is my point - sure, they would probably sound pretty imperfect and ragged, but that would completely fit.

Not if you want to get those sweet iTunes downloads.

Nothing's stopping them from also recording regular polished versions for sale. Hell, they could then sell both versions of each song and make even more.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

The point is they'd have no voice left by the end of the day and you'd hear more raggedness from over straining their vocal chords than you'd hear emotion. It'd also be hard to edit if they went to use bits from the beginning of the day with bits from the end of the day. They'd have to sing their song a thousand times.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

cathalc posted:

I too felt kinda bad for Jenna getting stuck with the role of the person who makes the death all about them

Why? It is a fictional show, all the other people are playing a character, I don't see how she did any different.
It is not like she was affected less by this, just because she didn't cry on screen for an hour.

She should be happy to have a scene that was truly in the spirit of Glee.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

KilGrey posted:

In defense, they've done it twice with Darren Criss now.

It's not impossible, but it is pretty difficult and would be nerve-wracking for everyone involved. Particularly if you've got a musical theater voice like Lea, which requires a fair bit of warmup to get going in just the right way and also a bit of recovery time in between takes.

No, it couldn't have happened for this episode. I still hold out hope that it'll happen at some point before the show ends, but I do sympathize with them if their rationale is "too much effort for too little payoff."

Arclight
Jan 26, 2006

cathalc posted:

And, I didn't like myself for it but I did chuckle a little at going from "Finn Hudson, 1994-2013" to "Cory Monteith, 1982-2013"
I'm sort of glad Mark Salling isn't going to be on much more, because him playing a 19-year old at age 31 would have stretched the boundaries of credulity for me.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

KilGrey posted:

Oh gently caress, Burt talking about hugs. His mom..this whole scene... :cry:

This and Rachel's song got the most tears out of me.

I kind of hope Will doesn't keep the jacket though.

I don't really have words - just that they did it right. They actually did it right.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Just wanted to chime in and say that Seasons of Love is actually way, way better with headphones, to the point where I totally flipped my opinion of it and it's now my favorite song on the album.

cathalc
Oct 9, 2008

Well if it'll make you feel better, you could punch me in the face.

Tupping Liberty posted:

I kind of hope Will doesn't keep the jacket though.

Yeah, I really hope Santana gets a FedEx package from an anonymous sender (for Will's sake) at her door in some episode soon.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
The episode was fairly flawless for me except for that jacket moment and the implications behind it.

If we had to find something to find a flaw with or complain about, I'm glad that it's only that small detail. But it's very true to Will's character to do it, so while i don't agree with the decision to have him do it, I get why he did.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Not just that he stole it but when Puck went to him after everyone in the room had left just looking for one person to believe him, believe in him, that he hadn't stole it, Will didn't do that even though he loving knew Puck didn't steal it.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Sub Rosa posted:

Not just that he stole it but when Puck went to him after everyone in the room had left just looking for one person to believe him, believe in him, that he hadn't stole it, Will didn't do that even though he loving knew Puck didn't steal it.

Did anyone really expect any better from him? He is the world's worst teacher and this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. The only positive about all of this is that Santana will go all Lima Heights on Will if she ever finds out

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
One one hand, I feel like I should just pretend that the series ended at the Will and Emma's wedding episode so that everyone (except Mr. Shue) lives happily ever after. On the other, I feel like now they're going to be forced to write a storyline for Rachel that doesn't hand all her dreams immediately to her. I wonder if she would've been given the part if Finn were still around or if they would've dragged it out forever. I also wonder if Murphy is ever going to tell us what the original script was.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

The play hasn't premiered; her dreams are haven't come true yet. They have already done all but one or two of the "big" songs from Funny Girl (People), so there isn't much iTunes money left in that plot and thus it might burn out sooner than later.

However, if this somehow results in a real Funny Girl revival with Lea as Fannie that would be totally ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Are they even making that much money from those songs? I cannot imagine most people are familiar with most of the musicals, and how many care enough to buy them?

• Locked thread