Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

wallaka posted:

It had a steering wheel. :colbert:

I'm sorry but wrong thread. I would drive this everywhere.

:911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

that doesn't make it right.

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007
Love it or leave it, motherfucker.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

And if you take a turn too quickly you'll die

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

some texas redneck posted:

Expedition for size comparison. The hitch receiver was about the height of my face while sitting in my car :stare:

Wow. That's rediculously similar to the one I caught at the Hot Rod Power Tour in June:

Slightly different year, or I would think he's just go new plates.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I actually saw something very similar to that on my way home from work today. However in this case it was kind of awesome because it was rather dirty and on a trailer behind it was a jeep with a similar lift which looked like it was coming home from a fight with a rhinoceros in a mud-pit. Actually I think the jeep may have been rolled.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

Wow. That's rediculously similar to the one I caught at the Hot Rod Power Tour in June:

Slightly different year, or I would think he's just go new plates.

Bets that this person complains about gas prices and Obama a lot.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Frankly I'm surprised they were able to find 30 truckers who:

1. Believe in their cause
2. Aren't working on a Friday
3. Don't mind paying for their own fuel for this stunt
4. Have the motivation to drive more on their day off
5. Are willing to be pulled over and ticketed for this

6. Didn't notice the event was cancelled days ago

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

Snowdens Secret posted:

6. Didn't notice the event was cancelled days ago

The worst part is that some media sources treated this thing like something legitimate that was going to happen.

It's bad when you can't tell what's real and what's not real anymore. I might as well check The Onion for my news...

Also, it just sounded like a stupid idea in general, but I've been in the States long enough to know that even things that sound dumb as hell might be true. I mean, right now we have people that shut down the government because they don't want the common folk to have health care.

...maybe I should visit a shrink and see if I need some medications.

Jakcson fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 12, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

KozmoNaut posted:

Anything in particular wrong with Clarion? The OEM stereo in my car is a Clarion, and I have no complaints.

My second aftermarket head unit (and third, and fourth, and fifth, probably some others) were Clarion - not counting OEM stuff. I always liked them.

They seem to have dropped the ball for aftermarket lately though; their one (non multimedia) double DIN head unit is pushing 2 years old now, and none of their head units look very appetizing right now. :sigh: I get the feeling that they mostly focus on OEM stuff these days.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
My '89 Subaru XT had a factory clarion stereo. The speakers were blown to hell and the buttons on the dash were falling off by the time I got it. I did have an older Clarion flip down cassette head unit I used in my Saturn for a few years and that thing sounded drat good.

I havent seen a clarion head unit worth a second look for a long time though. Seems like they are out of the game for the most part. I like the look and sound of Pioneer stuff now. I've got a lower end Pioneer double din touchscreen in my GTP and its treated me very well.

In the late 90's to early '00s building a system was a lot of fun. Stock stereos have gotten pretty good and not many people seem to have the desire to build a good system these days. I sort of pine for the days when it was a big deal to go get a nice new amp or head unit and play show and tell with my buddies.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
All of these and more are the reasons I made the Clarion comment. I mean, you can find Clarion boomboxes at GoHastings, if that's an indicator. Their amps have been low-end Eclipse copies of the internals for almost a decade now, and you should see their website.

It's like Kenwood before Kenwood started giving a crap (and before they stopped giving a crap again).

E VVVVVVVVV:

If you can avoid the 500-series VFD Kenwoods, you're golden. I had a Kenwood in my first car in 2003, and have steadily upgraded models through 2010. They're decent for the price, though the bluetooth on the models that offer it is quite atrocious (like the price they charge for their XM and DIN -> RCA adapters). If you're not doing an external amp, look for a model with actual heatsinks on the back (the ones without are sometimes third-party or mass retailer versions, like how Home Depot sells lovely DeWalt drills sold only at Home Depot vs buying direct).

My father worked for 30 years in a small-business home theater and car/marine stereo sales and repair shop as one of the two head repairmen and car stereo installers (the other was his twin brother, true story bro), and still works there on the weekends as a third job for extra cash (and because they don't get many repairs anymore). He still gives me tips on things, and keeps up-to-date on current models of stereo and amplifier setups. He's the one that started me on Kenwood, Polk Audio, Alpine, and Marantz for most of my audio hobbying, and there's only been one real fuckup with Kenwood in the last ten years, and that was with the 500-series single-din model with the VFD display that degraded horribly in direct sunlight over six months.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Oct 12, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I have some beef with Pioneer's user interfaces - their single DIN UIs leave a lot to be desired, and the harnesses are toothpick thin. I've also found that Pioneer's Bluetooth stuff doesn't play nice with the Nexus 4 :argh: though that's partly to blame on LG.

Agreed on the 90s-early 00s. The stock stereo in my car (06 Saturn Ion 3 - it has the typical higher end GM corporate double DIN w/aux input) is drat good. My only gripes so far have been the lack of RCA outs and lack of Bluetooth - I fixed one of those with a speaker to RCA converter (so now the sub and amp from my old car are living in this car). I can deal with plugging a cable into my phone when I get in the car for now. Even the stock speakers are... decent. Not fantastic, but for factory (especially in an economy car), they're really good.

I haven't touched anything from Kenwood in a long time, but I know my last Alpine head unit (their very bottom of the line unit for that year - I think it was a CDE-102?) had a better UI than most of the Pioneer stuff I've owned. I'm leaning heavily toward Kenwood for my next one..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Oct 12, 2013

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I had a lot of Kenwood stuff back in the 00's. I had the first model with the motorized flip around faceplate. It all sounded great and was built very well back then but I've still noticed a dropoff in their quality as of late. I stand by my Pioneer stuff these days. My only complaint is that if you don't buy a fairly high end model up front they want you to buy seperate modules for satellite radio, Bluetooth and nav. This can be avoided by just dropping the extra coin up front for an up level unit. I use my smart phone and iPod for all that but those add on modules add up. I still say that for the money a pioneer offers the best bang for the buck.

Grumbletron 4000 fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Oct 12, 2013

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Is there a single new car that even has a removable head units?

Ulfhednar
Dec 16, 2006
Blood for the Blood God!

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

Is there a single new car that even has a removable head units?

When I stopped by best-buy to get new speakers for my Thunderbird (ended up going through crutchfield and got some pretty swanky 3-way kenwoods to go with my stock cassette deck), they were a bit surprised that under head unit removal instructions, it was just remove unit.

It's really convenient for removing the deck to get out stuck tapes (the one pictured is the lower end of the two it had. I've got the higher end one that supports the trunk CD player) but it does look pretty unsightly with those holes and that big gap around it.

And speaking of radios, my parents want me to swap out the bare-bones radio on their new F150, and the radio that's in it is perfect for this thread. So much unused real-estate, if it at least had an AUX in, it'd make up for no CD player:

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

some texas redneck posted:

Expedition for size comparison. The hitch receiver was about the height of my face while sitting in my car :stare:

I know I've seen that truck on Parker too. The sound of him accelerating off the line just about made me crap myself.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Ulfhednar posted:

And speaking of radios, my parents want me to swap out the bare-bones radio on their new F150, and the radio that's in it is perfect for this thread. So much unused real-estate, if it at least had an AUX in, it'd make up for no CD player:

I don't know anything about aftermarket head units but the CD version of that unit is a direct swap and can probably be found for next to nothing on ebay or at a junkyard. My dad and I did that on his poverty spec F150.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Why on earth didn't they make it about half the size, and include a little storage tray or something useful in there?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

InitialDave posted:

Why on earth didn't they make it about half the size, and include a little storage tray or something useful in there?

Nav systems? To clarify, Nav needs to fit and they don't give a poo poo about lower spec. The 1997-2003 models were largely the same, even the stock six disk in my 2003 looked orphaned in that sea of plastic.

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 12, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The things I see when I go to Worcester.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcMEZPkp-jw
Disregard goony sperging about the heritage unit of terrible cars.

There was more chrome on the front but I had to put the camera down to drive.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

The fish makes it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Galler posted:

I don't know anything about aftermarket head units but the CD version of that unit is a direct swap and can probably be found for next to nothing on ebay or at a junkyard. My dad and I did that on his poverty spec F150.

Don't listen to this man. Do not do this. The only functionality the 1/6 disk changer had over that unit is the ability to permanently store 1/6 disks. There are about 1800 parts inside a Ford in dash cd changer and they are all poo poo.

Any 200 dollar double din unit will fit in there worth a 20 dollar mounting kit

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Powershift posted:

Don't listen to this man. Do not do this. The only functionality the 1/6 disk changer had over that unit is the ability to permanently store 1/6 disks. There are about 1800 parts inside a Ford in dash cd changer and they are all poo poo.

Any 200 dollar double din unit will fit in there worth a 20 dollar mounting kit

Or gutter strapping and random hacksawed off hardware store bolts. I've had two cars where POs have done exactly that. I also found a lovely tape deck in the shed that I got with a box of things at a garage sale where someone had riveted gutter strapping to a DIN mount to make an under dash holder.
What the gently caress is it with people, car stereos and gutter strapping?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

madeintaipei posted:

Nav systems? To clarify, Nav needs to fit and they don't give a poo poo about lower spec. The 1997-2003 models were largely the same, even the stock six disk in my 2003 looked orphaned in that sea of plastic.
No, I mean for the basic one, instead of taking up the same space as the full-house system with the big display etc, why not just make a unit that fits in the same slot but incorporates a storage tray etc?

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
The shape of the cheapo radio housing behind might be similar to a unit with the nav/cd unit (double din) so they just throw that on there and call it a day. Or they make it as ugly as possible to entice buyers out of an entry level model... "For only $1500 more you get this normal looking dash with a factory installed cd player!"

cormorant
Nov 3, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Maker Of Shoes posted:

You'd look like a nerd everywhere.

an AMERICAN nerd.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

InitialDave posted:

No, I mean for the basic one, instead of taking up the same space as the full-house system with the big display etc, why not just make a unit that fits in the same slot but incorporates a storage tray etc?

When I changed out the factory double-DIN radio in my Ford a few years back for an older JVC single-DIN, the aftermarket conversion kit was exactly this: a frame for the JVC & a storage slot underneath. Looked fine.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

cormorant posted:

You'd look like a nerd everywhere.

an AMERICAN nerd.

I passed a dude driving one of these not too long ago. While this one was just yellow and not so eagleicious, the driver was pretty much the Spurdo Sparde American Biker stereotype. His passenger looked quite embarrassed.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

InitialDave posted:

Because making that storage tray etc costs money.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Saw this on a Mecum auction on TV. Have a Carrera GT for a fraction of the price! :barf:

http://www.carkitinc.com/carkit2.php?id=9

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

InitialDave posted:

Because you can't have a poverty spec vehicle with a feature that a more expensive model lacks. :pseudo:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

rear end in a top hat casserole posted:

I know I've seen that truck on Parker too. The sound of him accelerating off the line just about made me crap myself.

Goddamn, yeah. It sounds like it's about to rape unborn babies just before it shifts into 2nd. I'm just thankful the owner doesn't have a smoke tune - he pulled up next to me when I had both windows + sunroof open, and I didn't have enough time to close them before the light turned green.

Galler posted:

Do Ford head units not require a reflash if you drop them into a different vehicle? Even my 2006 GM econobox has the stereo tied to the VIN; dropping another GM factory head unit in requires a trip to a dealer.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

As far as I remember we just pulled out the old one and stuck in the new one and everything worked. Pretty sure we didn't have to input a code and definitely didn't go to a dealer.

My dad bought the truck and while waiting for the dealership to finish up everything the salesman offered it to him for 10 or 20 bucks. He said it was from his truck old which he had put an aftermarket head unit in. I wasn't there for that part.

Anyway he's happy and if it breaks he's not out much.

E: this was on an 11th Gen F150.

Galler fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 13, 2013

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Wrong¹.
Kit cars are awesome.
Kit car on a non-poo poo-car? Double awesome.

Factory Five Type 65 - Mustang Donor

¹ That orange is fugly, though.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 13, 2013

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Kit cars that are nothing more than an appearance package to make a car look like a much more expensive car are pretty lame though.

e: Someone should show grover that though, doesn't he have a 97-04 boxster and a propensity for tasteless DIY additions

rscott fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 13, 2013

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

rscott posted:

Kit cars that are nothing more than an appearance package to make a car look like a much more expensive car are pretty lame though.

e: Someone should show grover that though, doesn't he have a 97-04 boxster and a propensity for tasteless DIY additions

Dont encourage him posting here though

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

I saw this horrible piece of poo poo today in Millersville, MD.

(not my picture, but either this is the truck pre-purchase or they made several)

http://www.f650pickups.com/truckin.html in case you'd like more information!

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
To be honest, the kit probably makes the 986 look better than it did before - while I still can't be convinced that a 996S 911 looks particularly bad, the original Boxster suffers a lot from 90's politeness (for lack of better words) in its design language.

Can't do much to save the horrendous Toyota-sourced interior though:

I had been considering trading the 987S to get and modify a 996TS, but about three seconds after sitting in one I decided that I'd probably drive the thing into a tree if I had to stare at the Tercel interior any longer than it took to test drive it.

(ten years later, for comparison)

Spades fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
I walked around the corner and thought i'd found a kit car..

but no it's the Ford LASER LYNX! The least graceful member of the cat/laser family hybrid.