Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"
How do the TWSBI minis hold up for travelling? (assume like just tossing them in a bag and/or in your pocket or something).

I just ordered one to have another "carrying around pen" (not my workhorses I leave at work or my fancy ones I keep at home) and was curious as to how they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Dirty Sock
Nov 4, 2005

Death to Legoland!
People have suggested the Lamy Safari as a good travel pen, and it's been true in my experience except for the drop test. I've had no trouble with tossing it in my bag and going, but accidentally knocking the pen off a desk will pop the cap. Just the kind of thing that you live with when it's not a screw-on cap, but the Metro has a much firmer seal in comparison.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
The TWSBI Vac 700 is a perfect travel pen: the cap is screw-on and you can twiddle a knob on the end to completely close the feed so changes in atmospheric pressure on a plane won't make it leak.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

wodan22 posted:

How do the TWSBI minis hold up for travelling? (assume like just tossing them in a bag and/or in your pocket or something).

I just ordered one to have another "carrying around pen" (not my workhorses I leave at work or my fancy ones I keep at home) and was curious as to how they do.

My brother has a pair of the Minis for just that purpose and he's had no issues of note.

In other news, the Goulet folks are reporting that the "TWSBI Classic" will be out in mid-November for around $50. Hell yeah!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

wodan22 posted:

They're fine. Never had any problem with one in my pocket, even on a plane.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Solkanar512 posted:

My brother has a pair of the Minis for just that purpose and he's had no issues of note.

In other news, the Goulet folks are reporting that the "TWSBI Classic" will be out in mid-November for around $50. Hell yeah!

I'm good with that. My problem is with that gorgeous rose gold accented Diamond 580. It looks amazing. But I already have a 580...and two 540s.

Rodney Chops
Jan 5, 2006
Exceedingly Narrow Minded
My metro came in a ordered from goulet today. Bought it for the sole purpose of using baystate blue in it, to save my all-star's feed. It was just going to be another 'cheapish' pen to abuse. I am astounded by how solid it feels. I know every says its a great pen for the price, but its really impressive they can sell it so cheap.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Rodney Chops posted:

My metro came in a ordered from goulet today. Bought it for the sole purpose of using baystate blue in it, to save my all-star's feed. It was just going to be another 'cheapish' pen to abuse. I am astounded by how solid it feels. I know every says its a great pen for the price, but its really impressive they can sell it so cheap.

I'll stand by what I said: the Metro punches well above its weight class and is probably the best value-for-money introduction and gateway drug to fountain pens you can get right now.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
My Platinum desk pen and other goodies should come in tomorrow!
I've been thinking of making my own base to hold the pen in and had a few ideas for a sort of non traditional but still classy looking stand. I'm thinking a wooden block with some lead weights in it and little rubber feet to stop it from sliding and an angled hole in the top with the pen cap glued into it

I want to paint it with the technique I used on this picture frame. I don't think the picture captures it perfectly, but it has a sort of glow to it that's just irresistible. Every person who's seen it in person loves the way it looks and I think it could work well for a desk item.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Gonna make your pen match your guitar? :v:

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!
My Platinum desk pen showed up today. Now I just need to decide whether to put in the carbon black cartridge or try out this new 54th Mass.

Edit: vvvv I don't know about Lamy stubs, but my TWSBI ones do tend to be hard starters with more inks, at least four me.
I'll go ahead and throw the 54th in and let you know how it goes!

SnakesRevenge fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 12, 2013

Rodney Chops
Jan 5, 2006

SnakesRevenge posted:

My Platinum desk pen showed up today. Now I just need to decide whether to put in the carbon black cartridge or try out this new 54th Mass.

I really loved the colour of 54th mass, honestly was the best of 4 blue-blacks I tried. It just started too hard for me, over and over. That was in a 1.1mm lammy all-star. Let me know if it seems the same to you, or if I need to give it another whirl in a different pen!

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Edmond Dantes posted:

Gonna make your pen match your guitar? :v:

I'm just so in love with this style of finish I want to put it on everything :kimchi:

But I'm envisioning a more understated version for the desk set compared to the flamboyant guitar

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008
The new Hero knock off Lamy Safaris are here: Hero 359
I'm honestly curious how well they'll work compared to their Lamy counterparts.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Reivax posted:

drat that's an identical ripoff. It does come with a converter so it's about 10-12 bucks cheaper than the real deal if you factor in converter price.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Got my Goulet order. I did receive Noodler's 54th Massachusetts as the free ink.
Also some tiny Apica notebooks for pocket usage.

The platinum desk pen feels nice, if a little too light. It looks good and I've just popped the cartridge in and will put it on a test run postehaste

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
So I forgot to actually post in this thread that last weekend during the local pen posse I ended up buying a TWSBI 530 with a medium nib + an italic 1.1 - someone also gave me two Esterbrooks, one a desk pen. They are all pretty fantastic! The medium nib on the TWSBI is juicy, and I love the way it feels in the hand since it's a bit thicker than most other pens, but still fairly light because it's still all plastic.

I also picked up some of those Midori TN refills and doohickeys for a faux Midori I'm getting pretty solid mileage out of.

In other news...anybody want to buy a Nakaya Decapod? One of the local pen people is selling hers before moving to Poland.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Reivax posted:

Ugh I really can't stand it when these companies just blatantly rip off a product like that.

Let's see, if we take Hero's past experience in fantastic quality control, I'm going to go with maybe 10% might write well?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I gave the Decapod some thought because I'm pondering a Nakaya, but I can't justify $600 for a c/c.

Rodney Chops
Jan 5, 2006
I have 9 noodlers sample vials with only one cartridge worth of ink used from each one, so they all still have a couple ml in each. I've found the colours I liked. To pay back to the thread, I'll send them to whoever wants to pay for shipping. Either someone getting into pens or who wants to mix them. I'm in Canada, so not sure if it would be much savings to send them to another country. PM me if your interested!

Gone! To surprisingly to a goon who lives in the same city.

Rodney Chops fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 13, 2013

droneboat609
Sep 30, 2013
While the Pilot Varisty pens do write nice for the price, like others, I have found them to be scratchy so I dont think I will buy another pack. Ive got my sights on either a Pilot Metro or a Lamey Safari, I might just get both since they are not that expensive. Does anyone have ink recommendations?

emster88
Sep 16, 2007
Hi Guys

This is my first post!

I am a vintage fountain pen collector from Australia. I collect predominately vintage American parker pens from 1900 - 1930 concentrating on Duofold (1921 - 1929), although I have some Parker, Sheaffer, Mont Blanc and Pelikan pens all pre 1960. I also collect Parker ephemera and have a large collection of original Duofold adverts, boxes and pen shop trays. I don't know why I set myself the hard task of collecting items all of which are only available overseas. I purchase all my pens through dealers in the US and the UK and through Ebay.

Some of my collection is at my Flickr page at http://www.flickr.com/photos/emster/. I have many more.

I have used a fountain pen on a daily basis for more than 20 years (mostly at work) and currently use a Pelikan M1005, which is a brilliant everyday pen. I also have a variety of parker vintage pens I use on rotation.

I am happy to share my collecting experiences, especially with Parker Duofold, if anyone is interested. I also put together a guide to dealers on the internet I have come across (for a local pen collecting group) if anyone would like that.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Hi emster, you have had some difficulties in your initial posting, I've cleared them up. Please don't sign your posts.

That said, there are some very nice Parkers in your photostream, and in the unrelated pictures you have a very good eye for photo composition. Please post more of your collection!

emster88
Sep 16, 2007

angerbeet posted:

Hi emster, you have had some difficulties in your initial posting, I've cleared them up. Please don't sign your posts.

That said, there are some very nice Parkers in your photostream, and in the unrelated pictures you have a very good eye for photo composition. Please post more of your collection!

Thanks for that

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rodney Chops posted:

I have 9 noodlers sample vials with only one cartridge worth of ink used from each one, so they all still have a couple ml in each. I've found the colours I liked. To pay back to the thread, I'll send them to whoever wants to pay for shipping. Either someone getting into pens or who wants to mix them. I'm in Canada, so not sure if it would be much savings to send them to another country. PM me if your interested!

I can't PM, but I'm in Canada so if it makes shipping easier, I'd be down. I never tried Noodler's inks and I'm curious

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Nothing better than collecting vintage pens from a continent you're not in (e.g. US Parkers in Aus, or my penchant for UK Mabie Todds).

That's some freakin' amazing transparency!

P.S. angerbeet is so nice :3:

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

emster88 posted:

I am happy to share my collecting experiences, especially with Parker Duofold, if anyone is interested. I also put together a guide to dealers on the internet I have come across (for a local pen collecting group) if anyone would like that.

That would be great if you could post about your collecting experience and your dealers guide. I would find them extremely useful as I'm sure many other in the thread would too!

Looking through your pictures, you have some gorgeous pens in there. The bicolour nibs on some of your vacuumatics are fantastic. I like your DC-3, too!

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008
Great pictures of some amazing pens there, Emster! I love the style of the Duofold, but I am a poor grad student and can't afford one, at least any I have come across.

Rodney Chops
Jan 5, 2006

Duro posted:

I can't PM, but I'm in Canada so if it makes shipping easier, I'd be down. I never tried Noodler's inks and I'm curious

Sorry Duro, beaten. :(

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Just got my Safari, 2 new inks (Diamine Syrah is gorgeous), and some rhodia and clairefontaine notebooks. The paper is really nice in the rhodia pads, the ink just glides on them. :allears:

Quick question, I currently have two lamy pens, the Safari with a 1.5 itallic nib, and the CP1 which has a 1.1 itallic nib. I think I'd like to leave the Safari as an "everyday pen", and the CP1 for doing fancy stuff, can I just switch the nibs between them?

/edit: Welp, my question's been answered!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtvwzv_6tWM

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 14, 2013

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

kim jong-illin posted:

Dark brown ink recommendations? Noodler's Walnut works nicely but the nib creep is annoying and it gunks up pens after a while.

I was looking through an ink journal that a friend of mine is doing and it seemed like she was getting a fairly similar color to Walnut with Private Reserve Chocolat and Diamine Chocolate Brown. Her notes don't mention anything about nib creep as she primarily uses dip pens. Having said that they were similar, they did seem, at least to my eye, to be a bit more red than the Walnut.

Alternatively if you really like the color, you may want to try giving the pen a complete cleaning every time you would refill. I've had to do that with my Lamy Vista from the start as it just gets gunked up on subsequent fills.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.
How the piss do I open this thing to refill it? It's a Plaisir, I'm pretty sure I got it off eBay, and it doesn't unscrew, nib doesn't pull out, nothing. It's got Nikita Red in it, so I know I've refilled it at least once, but damned if I can remember how...

(click for huge)

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
That looks like the platinum preppy that came with my noodlers heat of darkness, you just unscrew it. You sure it just isn't stuck?

/edit: yeah, I'm pretty sure, you can even see the threads in the middle.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

daggerdragon posted:

How the piss do I open this thing to refill it? It's a Plaisir, I'm pretty sure I got it off eBay, and it doesn't unscrew, nib doesn't pull out, nothing. It's got Nikita Red in it, so I know I've refilled it at least once, but damned if I can remember how...

(click for huge)

I'm fairly sure that's a Preppy, not a Plaisir. The body should just screw off from the section, it may be stuck if it doesn't.
Here is a video from the Goulets that explains how it's converted so maybe that will help you!

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Edmond Dantes posted:

That looks like the platinum preppy that came with my noodlers heat of darkness, you just unscrew it. You sure it just isn't stuck?

/edit: yeah, I'm pretty sure, you can even see the threads in the middle.

I gave it to the fiance, he yanked on it for a bit and then it came right off with a wet squelch. :argh: Apparently I was too afraid of breaking the thing and spewing ink everywhere.

Vitamins posted:

I'm fairly sure that's a Preppy, not a Plaisir. The body should just screw off from the section, it may be stuck if it doesn't.
Here is a video from the Goulets that explains how it's converted so maybe that will help you!

It's definitely a Plaisir, got it off eBay, the logo on the nib is a double-lined P.

Thanks!

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Looks like a bunch of ink dried on the threads. Twist harder!

Note: Not responsible for breakage

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

daggerdragon posted:

It's definitely a Plaisir, got it off eBay, the logo on the nib is a double-lined P.

Thanks!

Glad you got it open!

Sorry though but it's definitely a Preppy! The Plaisir and Preppy both have the same style nib with the double-lined P. Plaisirs have a metal body and cap though, while Preppys are all plastic. They both have different style caps too. Though yours seems to be missing the little label on the barrel that has Preppy written on it.

Preppy:

Plaisir:

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

daggerdragon posted:

Thanks!

Edit:^^^beaten

It's definitely a Platinum Preppy.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Well then. Silly sellers rubbing the labels off my pens. Then again, what do you expect for $5 from China?

I like that pen because with the clear barrel filled with Nikita, it looks like I'm writing with blood. :black101:

So far I've removed all the dried-on crud and it's currently soaking in the ultrasonic cleaner, just working water through the top bit. Thanks again, I have my pen back :)

Note to anyone else reading this thread: don't leave your cheap pens quarter-filled and then put them in storage for a year. They will dry out and gunk up the works and then you have to go get a Big Strong Man™ to open them for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

daggerdragon posted:

I gave it to the fiance, he yanked on it for a bit and then it came right off with a wet squelch. :argh: Apparently I was too afraid of breaking the thing and spewing ink

Hahaha, a friend of mine always says she keeps her husband around just for his can-opening prowess.

Speaking of preppys, mine kinda... leaks from the nib. It starts out alright, and after a minute of writing it starts gathering more and more ink on the nib until it drips. I know it's an eye dropper pen, but that's a bit ridiculous. Anything I should check? I don't user it much, but it's the "black pen" while the other ones have the fabulous colours.