Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
1 A Ask Snarls: did it work? Did the sticks burst into flame? One bark for yes, two for no.

Then give him a belly rub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1. Stoke the flame, keep a torch going. Also ask Snarls if we made that fire, and if not us, then who or what and where? Also, we should ponder Dream Jorah's last words to us "Just be nice, ok?" Really contemplate and overthink the hell out of it. And if we find something that can function as a helmet, equip it.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Neraren posted:

A) Stoke the fire and take it with us.

Voting Ditto.

Ask Snarls if we made the fire.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

dyzzy posted:

1 A Ask Snarls: did it work? Did the sticks burst into flame? One bark for yes, two for no.
One bark.

dyzzy posted:

Then give him a belly rub.
Snarls wags his tail happily and his leg twitches in a way that can only be brought about by a good belly rub.

Your own belly, is grumbling and demands to be fed.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

Neraren posted:

1) We don't want to have to do that again.
2) A fiery branch is the best weapon available to us
3) Managing to keep a fire going for a month that we set with magic powers could potentially be an offering.

This has my vote. Although I'm not sure we actually made this fire ourselves. The way I read it, we might have smacked our head on a rock whilst we struggled to keep awake and had yet another near-death experience. Our guardian might have taken pity and left us with that fire.

the_steve posted:

1. Stoke the flame, keep a torch going. Also ask Snarls if we made that fire, and if not us, then who or what and where? Also, we should ponder Dream Jorah's last words to us "Just be nice, ok?" Really contemplate and overthink the hell out of it. And if we find something that can function as a helmet, equip it.

What if instead of one guardian, we have multiple guardians who all take on the form of Jorah and each of them has different plans in stall for us? Not-Jorah just mentioned he had some explaining to do to some other people, so he's clearly not alone. And it would explain why Not-Jorah goes from 'kill them all' at one moment to 'ha ha, just kidding. Be nice!' the next. It's just a baseless theory, but the other explanation is that we have one guardian who also happens to be schizophrenic. Or maybe Enkidel is the one who is insane.

Dio, did Enkidel wake up with his face resting on a rock? Is there any blood on the ground, or are there any traces charcoal/ash in his hair/beard/face/tunic?

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Diogines posted:

One bark.

No, it worked. And Diogines bolded our last magic words. BOLDED! Has to be magic. We fell unconscious from exhaustion. Probably.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Well that settles it. We have to go visit Uncle Jonah and/or confront our demon dad/not-dad.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Now we have to practice lighting arrows on fire in flight.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Zybourne Clock posted:

This has my vote. Although I'm not sure we actually made this fire ourselves. The way I read it, we might have smacked our head on a rock whilst we struggled to keep awake and had yet another near-death experience. Our guardian might have taken pity and left us with that fire.
A fire gifted to us by a Melachim (or whatever our guardian is) that we managed to nurse for a full month would be an even better sacrifice than one we made ourselves. So I'm for the idea as well.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I think it makes more sense that we made the fire, but were already so tired and famished that we passed out.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
1-A

I am not sure what happened, but I don't think it was just falling over and bumping our head. I think we invoked something and it wacked us to do it.

Do we actually have a contusion, bump or sore spot anywhere on our head?

Thinking back as best we are able, was there anything we notice that was different about the last Vayahi Or? It was the only bolded one. In terms of us having said it, does this mean anything that we would notice, represented by the bolding?

Before we move, is there any sign of anyone or anything else having been here as far as we can tell?

After these questions, I am good with trying to make a portable fire and moving on before we try again. Which would be 1-B I guess?

We said the bolded version and then:

diog posted:

You feel as if you have just been punched in the gut as all of the air in your chest empties out of you. The trees in front of you are tilting and seem to be shifting to a horizontal position.
That follows the bolded Vayahi Or and precedes falling such that our head could have been knocked.

Apparently as we are falling we see a light. The moon? Melechim? Light we called?

So the sequence is:
  • bolded 'Vayahi Or' after many un-bolded attempts and exhaustion
  • feel air punched from our lungs
  • falling
  • see light
  • see extreme detail dirt
  • black out
  • Jorah

This is for reference from the last "Jorah" encounter and apparently what he was referring to here:

Diog posted:

"Oh and um... do unto others as you would have them do unto you?"
"But nothing... nothing too extreme.... I think... and that one will work out okay."
"Yes yes... I know, hes waking up, it will be fine"

These words were interspersed between the huge Hunger screen resolving in to the Mereniel/Xuriel message. This is the second time he has referred to us as 'Creature' the way Azz did toward the end of our interaction. This is also the second time that the Jorah figure is talking with someone else we cannot see or sense. It's like we come in on the old new reporter routine where he does not know he is on the air.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 12, 2013

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Sogol posted:

Do we actually have a contusion, bump or sore spot anywhere on our head?

You reach up to touch the side of your head.

You have a small lump on the side of your head.

Sogol posted:

Before we move, is there any sign of anyone or anything else having been here as far as we can tell?
There are no obvious signs anyone else has been here.

Sogol posted:

Thinking back as best we are able, was there anything we notice that was different about the last Vayahi Or? It was the only bolded one. In terms of us having said it, does this mean anything that we would notice, represented by the bolding?
I am not sure I can answer this one. You will have to look over old posts and interpret them as you will.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 12, 2013

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Neraren posted:

Yep.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Usually when words are bolded, they tend to be of the sort that we are able to "touch." I would guess that this means our last "Vayahi Or" had that particular magical quality to it that we've seen from Tudiya from time to time.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sogol posted:

This is for reference from the last "Jorah" encounter and apparently what he was referring to here:

These words were interspersed between the huge Hunger screen resolving in to the Mereniel/Xuriel message. This is the second time he has referred to us as 'Creature' the way Azz did toward the end of our interaction. This is also the second time that the Jorah figure is talking with someone else we cannot see or sense. It's like we come in on the old new reporter routine where he does not know he is on the air.

Maybe we are a prophet? A prophet would fit in with what we were told at the beginning of the game. The whatevers know we are a prophet, so they are being careful what they tell us, so we don't found a stupid-rear end religion with horrible rules. Some of the religions in this world, ie "demon farms," haven't turned out so well.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

Diogines posted:

You are a little groggy from having woken up, but it looks like a nights sleep was just what you needed, though you are hungry, very, very, very hungry, as if you have gone a whole day without eating.

We pretty definitively started the fire, guys. It took a lot out of us, but it wasn't a melachim descending from on high with a lighter.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Note to self: sit down next time we try this. Our head falls from 7'3” when we keel over.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Diogines posted:

You reach up to touch the side of your head.

You have a small lump on the side of your head.

Ok, maybe we should get a helmet. Or at least get on our knees when we think we will fall unconscious. A fall from kneeling height shouldn't bump our head too bad.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Neraren posted:

3) Managing to keep a fire going for a month that we set with magic powers could potentially be an offering.

I'm also voting for keeping the fire going. I like the idea of it possibly being an offering too.
Dio, how would a magically lit olympic torch be percieved as an offering? It doesn't really have any material value, but I'm guessing Tudiya and perhaps El would approve of the effort involved in keeping it going all that time.
We can say that we are returning the fire to El that he gave us in our time of need.

Rahul fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 13, 2013

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Neraren posted:

Also, we should definitely sit down, prevent damage from passing out, the next time we try this.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Rahul posted:

Dio, how would a magically lit olympic torch be percieved as an offering? It doesn't really have any material value, but I'm guessing Tudiya and perhaps El would approve of the effort involved in keeping it going all that time.
We can say that we are returning the fire to El that he gave us in our time of need.

Based on what you know of Zepath, you can predict that there is going to be enormous skepticism that you actually lit it. Beyond that, according to Tudiya, kindling a fire is a very minor use of Labaras power.

Having a source of fire as you try to eek out an existence out here is probably handy though.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

If we can keep the fire going for a month straight through all our travels, I think that would make a fantastic offering to El.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Hey, what's wrong with pearls? We might want to keep the fact that we (might have) pulled this off a secret for a while, too.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fire is a lame offering guys. We aren't Prometheus.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Is our offering a public thing that everyone will know about?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We could go with pearls and fire and anything else exotic we find

"I have dived for pearls off the coast of X, studded this contract with one, and put several more inside this contract to el. Tended this fire granted me by El going for Y. And I blah de blah third thing. Beat that!"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pearls are grand. We should try to get pearls.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Honestly I just think keeping a fire constantly going will be too much effort. We should make sure that we can repeat the process or figure out a mundane way, and then set off. Food and water should be our #1 priority now.

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

A flaming stick that we claim to have lit by magic isn't an offering unless people believe it. Tudiya will try to see into our mind, and either come up empty due to Magic Fruity Drink, or come out with plausible illusions, convincing him that we're lying.

Pearls, get some.

Yes, we're a good pearl diver, but it's not just the hardship in getting the offering, it's the hardship in getting TO the offering.

We have dealt with a Djinn-thing without getting screwed, signed ourself into the Line of Zepa, made fire from sheer bullheadedmess, and we're not even done yet!

Whatever we bring will have value, because it'll be a thing at the end of *this* road.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

UnassemblyRequired posted:

If we can keep the fire going for a month straight through all our travels, I think that would make a fantastic offering to El.

"Dear El,

I think that you are so fantastic, that I kept warm for a month in honor of you.

Yours Truly,
E."

spacetimecontinuu
Dec 31, 2004
Maybe we were only able to light the fire because we were doing it out of service to our best friend in the whole world and El is cool with that.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

RandomPauI posted:

We could go with pearls and fire and anything else exotic we find

"I have dived for pearls off the coast of X, studded this contract with one, and put several more inside this contract to el. Tended this fire granted me by El going for Y. And I blah de blah third thing. Beat that!"

I like this. I want us to have an offering which impresses everyone. Since different groups are impressed by different things (effort, monetary value, etc.), this sets our challenge a bit higher.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Vavrek posted:

I like this. I want us to have an offering which impresses everyone. Since different groups are impressed by different things (effort, monetary value, etc.), this sets our challenge a bit higher.

That's actually a good point. I get the feeling that we only get one choice really, but that might not be the case. Diogenes, would it be frowned upon to make more than one offering for sacrifice? Or would that be seen as ostentatious?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Okay, first off - I want to know this story! - I'm guessing a vote will have to come about to get the whole thing:

Diogines posted:

You are combing the beach for orange starfish while reciting the latest story your father taught you, that of Amal the Moonfish Amal.

So. We know that human sacrifice is taboo with worshiping El. I think this means blood sacrifice (cutting our hand with a sharktooth) as well. There could have been a disagreement with the Melachim about the worship that involves sacrifices involving human lives and led to a conflict at some point about this issue.

Collating all the times Tudiya uses The Voice:

Diogines posted:

Tudiya raises a hand and cuts her off, he speaks and you suddenly understand him perfectly, the tone of his voice has not changed at all but you suddenly feel it, as if his voice was a thing with weight. "El has truly blessed you child, to have a mother teach you to be a man when she was surrounded by animals for many years." Your mother beams.

Wait. No one seems surprised at Tudiya speaking your tongue, not even your mother, did you just understand his? Did something else occur? No one gives any indication that anything strange has occurred, but something surely just has.

What just happened?

Diogines posted:

Tudiya speaks, all of the outsiders kneel, as does your mother, who translates his words.

"Sweetling " your mother says "the King says and Labaras was born among the hills and valleys and as his clans had done, he prayed to the beasts of the field and to the moon and sun and stars. And the beasts did not answer him, nor did the sun, nor moon nor stars and so he wandered to search for god. He searched in the trees and in the hills and in the valleys and in the seas and could not find him. And as Labaras climbed Mount Har, he heard a voice."

"Labaras!" Kudiya says. His voice seems you have acquired weight and depth, almost as if you could touch it. "You stand upon the Sacred Mountain of the Creator Who is El! Make yourself Holy! Remove your sandals, anoint yourself with oil and cut your hair before you would seek El!" your mother is still translating and acts as if Tudiya has spoken the outsider tongue, yet you have understood him perfectly.

Something very odd you may not understand is occurring but no one else seems to be aware of it.

The enormous man takes out his very long knife, a sword, the same one you saw him behead a man with and Tudiya cuts your hair to just below shoulder length and ties it into a loose knot with a piece of string. He continues to speak. Your mother translates, even though you still understand him clearly and swear you could almost reach out and touch his words.

"I am Tudiya, Blood of Labaras and King of Zepath. In the name of El I declare this child shall be as if he was born among us. Who will deny me?"

Tudiya looks over the other kneeling outsiders for a moment and several of them give short responses which you guess might mean "not me" though you can't be certain.

Tudiya continues. Your mother keeps translating the outsider tongue as if she needed to, she clearly is hearing the words as if they were in the outsider tongue. "As the wild man Ekindu, a beast of the wilds was brought to El, far from the cities of our fathers, so was this child. I declare his name shall be Enkidel, for he was as Enkidu and brought to El from afar."

Diogines posted:

At that, Tudiya does speak up. Your mother translates, even though you understand and can almost reach out and touch his words. "Child. Remember always that a heart filled with El is greater than any sword or dragon."

Diogines posted:

Tudiya speaks. "El cannot be made into any graven image or sign. He is perfect, eternal and beyond our ability to comprehend."

Diogines posted:

HiHo - Just click the drat link to see the creation story.

Not El/Tudiya related, but we have FELT emotion another time:

Diogines posted:

You try to remember the words your father chanted when he shot lightning at Tudiya and the others, but you barely heard them at the time and can not recall them now as the other men fight and as the beasts charge at you.

You take off the enormous tooth you wear around you neck in one hand and grip it tightly.

You cut your other palm and think as hard as you can LIGHTNING!!!!

As the tooth makes contact with your blood, you feel your mind your mind FILLED with a booming emotion, it is not a voice, but a FEELING and an overwhelming one which nearly overrides your taste, smell, hearing, sight, touch, all of your senses.

Diogines posted:

"You ARE TOO YOUNG TO DIE BUT NOT TOO FOOLISH!" Ishamal yells through the wooshing of air and hunger. You can FEEL his words and understand him perfectly.

I think we missed the italicized part here:

Diogines posted:

"CLOSE YOUR EYES AND COVER YOUR EARS." he says. You again understand them perfectly and almost feel as if you could reach out and TOUCH them! In fact, maybe you could and you are SO GODS DAMNED HUNGERRRRRRRRY!!!!! HUNGERRRRRYYYYYY!!!!!!!

Diogines posted:

That was not Ishamal hitting you. That was thunder. Very, very close to you. You see flashes of a bright light, even through your closed eyes and your hands.

"EL HA ZIKARO"- You can feel Ishamal's words and you can certainly feel the clap of thunder very close to you in rapid succession, you shake slightly with each.

BOOM, BOOM, BOOM.

It has suddenly gotten very cold. You feel wind blowing about you in many directions now, more than simply the woosh of air due to your movement ahead. Your course seems to change slightly as a gust of air pushes you.

"SMYTHOS HA"- BOOM, BOOM, BOOM.

You feel a sticky liquid coming out of your ears and dripping onto your hands.

BOOM BOOM BOOM

You are suddenly very wet and feel the rain pouring upon you.

"ELOHIM KOL HAOLOM, HA MELE"-

BOOM BOOM BOOM

A gust of wind forces one of your eyes open for a moment.

You appear to be inside of a storm cloud. In addition to immense hunger, you are also very dizzy and disoriented. It is now pitch black, except for Ishamal, who is now a man shaped figure made of glowing light, still hanging from you by one arm around your midsection, his other arm raised above you. He holds a finger up.

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 13, 2013

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
I still think that pearls alone are a bad offering. Sure, they're expensive and will probably make the temple people and Zepathans happier, but they don't MEAN anything to us. Nor is there any form of sacrifice involved in obtaining them.

Maybe we should try and find a monster to kill on the way back from pearl hunting. That would be a proper sacrifice.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I disagree about the worthiness of the pearls (I think it's more about what we endure to get them, not necessarily how difficult finding them might be), but I certainly wouldn't be averse to other trophies, assuming we don't bite off more than we can chew.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I have gone back and done that same research. I found an interesting update.

This one and the one following it.

url=http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550307&userid=129241&perpage=30&pagenumber=8#post416631328][/url]

Our own internal dialog is in bold. I think this is the only example. It takes place when we walk ourselves into unconsciousness.

Also, following this we relate our first :bang: dream to Tudiya. During this Ishamal laughs for some reason. Tudiya asks us if we have ever seen anything flying in the sky that was not a bird, or birds behaving strangely? We say 'no'. But if we include the :bang: trips this is not true at all. We see whales flying in the sky all the time, even by the time he asks the question.

For the Asherak whales are the sign of Ninveh, Gentle Mother. Jorah told us this and Ninveh is his favorite 'child of Asherah'. He tells us that Ninveh taught us how to make boats.

If there is an Ophanim correlate for Ninveh I don't think we know it yet. Amal is the Great Moonfish and the Ophanim associated with fishermen and the Moon is Yalef. Labaras is said to have given men all arts. Surely there is an Ophanim of ship building?

Sogol fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 13, 2013

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

dyzzy posted:

I disagree about the worthiness of the pearls (I think it's more about what we endure to get them, not necessarily how difficult finding them might be), but I certainly wouldn't be averse to other trophies, assuming we don't bite off more than we can chew.

Well, true. But let's look at it this way:

We are, or were, very good at getting pearls. We amassed a huge bag of them for Jalitha.

What lives in the ocean? Asherah.

So we're either going to have an uneventful time getting pearls. Or we might just draw the attention of a pissed off Fishgod. Y'know, the one that caused a tsunami after Athar was raided and Shushem killed. The one that turned us into a human cannonball and required divine intervention to get us loose.

I'd much rather take our chances with a minotaur or something, than a Fishgod that we've crossed twice.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Diog: How many fingers did Azz have when we saw him? and how many does "uncle Jorah" have in our blackout moments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

I still think that pearls alone are a bad offering. Sure, they're expensive and will probably make the temple people and Zepathans happier, but they don't MEAN anything to us. Nor is there any form of sacrifice involved in obtaining them.

Maybe we should try and find a monster to kill on the way back from pearl hunting. That would be a proper sacrifice.

We also have to go near into the ocean. The ocean which has been described, more than once to us, as a place of immense danger. You know, that place that has the angry Whale-God of Hunger who wants to loving devour us?