Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That's cool, it would especially help take advantage of the benefits of sharing layers all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So how does Mari integrate with external renderers now? I remember PTex not being widely supported when I first heard about Mari. If I make a big ugly sculpt in Zbrush, and bring it into Mari to texture, what am I baking out or saving so I can import my sculpt+textures into 3dsMax to render with VRay? I thought the benefit of Mari was to get rid of the need to UV, but are good UV's still preferred? I've only ever watched "Getting Started" videos.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
You can render ptex files in vray now, have been able to for some time i think.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So Mari exports it's own Ptex file type, and VRay materials understand what they're looking at when you import one into diffuse/spec/whatever? And it imports like it were any old image format? Or is there a PTexShader for Vray that does all the magic?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Vray has a ptex shader, I tried to use it with an object ptex painted in mudbox and couldn't make it work. This was a year ago or something though.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
That may have been before the 'reverse vertex order' button was added - remember it took vlado ages to figure out why it would work with some packages and not others. There's a multiple page thread of discussions and tests over on their forum.
I'm pretty sure everything works as intended now though.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
What plugins or libraries are recommended for trees in archviz nowdays? Premade Evermotion stuff or procedural meshes in the likes of onyxtree?

For use with vray of course.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Evermotion are the best.

I'd well recommend spending the time required before using them in a scene going through every single one of them, re-linking bitmaps, collapsing to an edit poly (some scripts to do this gently caress up mapping so check that, make sure the pivot is at 0,0,0) and then converting to a vray proxy (save as so you've still got the original...). Merge all those proxies into one scene, optimize the materials (ref depth to 1, no opacity on the leaves) and you're set.

We have all these scenes loaded into forest pack libraries & took the thumbnails from the pdf's, so bringing trees into a scene is now 'click library -> select the 2/5/10 you want -> click import' and they're in. will save you so much time in the long run. you can do that for 2 volumes in a day if you're quick.

e: the r&d group ones are decent too, although the earlier volumes dont work well close up.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

cubicle gangster posted:

Evermotion are the best.

I'd well recommend spending the time required before using them in a scene going through every single one of them, re-linking bitmaps, collapsing to an edit poly (some scripts to do this gently caress up mapping so check that, make sure the pivot is at 0,0,0) and then converting to a vray proxy (save as so you've still got the original...). Merge all those proxies into one scene, optimize the materials (ref depth to 1, no opacity on the leaves) and you're set.

We have all these scenes loaded into forest pack libraries & took the thumbnails from the pdf's, so bringing trees into a scene is now 'click library -> select the 2/5/10 you want -> click import' and they're in. will save you so much time in the long run. you can do that for 2 volumes in a day if you're quick.

e: the r&d group ones are decent too, although the earlier volumes dont work well close up.

Hey man thanks for the awesome answer!

I'm really sorry by the way, I just realised I didn't even thank you for the mail explaining how you set up the render for chair I did.

I'm still working on learning some stuff but it's coming along. I made a small library set for scenes and did a quick render. Athough simple it's the best thing i've done yet with Vray.

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's the job market like for non-animation positions? I'm still learning, and animation isn't really my strong suit, which is lighting and rendering. Is being a decent animator mandatory for consistent employment?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
not even slightly, there are countless jobs you can do without animation.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So question, this animator has been going on rants about how the Frozen designs are bad. Sure, I buy that, and it's all a matter of opinion anyway. But then they said this: http://typette.tumblr.com/post/63657239682/so-people-wanted-my-input-on-the-matter-i-dont

quote:

"When the other Snow Queen that’s coming out, and movies like Sintel and Blue Sky’s Epic have more progressive and modern modeling techniques… Frozen doesn’t. The massive eyes and the really horrible mouth/nose topology made my eyes bleed just a little eentsy bit"

here are my repaints of what I think the Frozen girls could look like if they put a little effort into weighting their models properly, and maybe taking a more realistic, little more mature, a little unique(Elsa has a long face and Anna has a big nose- relatively of course) and… OKAY I admit it…. less rapunzel-y approach. Honestly, though, if you make films you need to evolve, don’t be like Pixar and use topology and modeling workflow from 1997 on movies like Brave. (seriously? merida’s face. what even is)"

So...what are they talking about? I've done face rigging and it seems to me that Disney and Pixar use very cutting edge techniques. This person seems to be mistaking artistic choices for lapses in technical know-how. What are these rigging workflow differences between Disney and Blue Sky?
Also I'm wondering what the topology differences are. Are they referring to using displacement maps instead of modeling something in, or what?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

It could be that they're talking about topology being the proportions of the face rather than edge flows etc. But they do bring up modeling techniques, so who knows what the gently caress they're waffling on about, or why it's even important for someone working in Canada.

What I got from that post is that they're incredibly annoying and probably awful to work with.

typette posted:

roflmao you picked the wrong person to bring that poo poo up with. You know I’m a 3D animator, it’s literally my job, and I deal with industry poo poo like this every single day right?

do not talk to me about 3D models and the problems and implications of setting up a new model iteration reference source across many separate files in various stages of animation, sim and rendering. You have no idea what it entails.

Urgh.

tuna fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 12, 2013

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ccs posted:

So...what are they talking about? I've done face rigging and it seems to me that Disney and Pixar use very cutting edge techniques. This person seems to be mistaking artistic choices for lapses in technical know-how. What are these rigging workflow differences between Disney and Blue Sky?
Also I'm wondering what the topology differences are. Are they referring to using displacement maps instead of modeling something in, or what?
Most likely someone who couldn't hack it in the industry..

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

They should stop trying to talk like a TD if they don't know what they're talking about.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Do we have a sliding scale to place bets on them not even working on films right down to 'owns a pirate copy of maya and hasn't figured out the interface yet'?

edit: holy poo poo

quote:

On your post about Frozen you're saying that the topology is out of date compared to Blue Sky's approach, but your criticism seems to be about the design. Are you actually criticizing the edge flow of the models and the technical aspects of the rigging or are you just using CG terms like topology and weighting to make your opinions sound more legit? Because to a character TD it sounds like you don't know what you're talking about

quote:

lol, you’re a TD huh? are you generalist then, if you model as well? or are you the “TD” in a small company where you do both?

I haven’t seen any of the meshes or topology for the Epic characters, but you don’t have to be good at modeling to tell the modeling around the mouth corners for the Frozen girls, in comparison, is pinched and forms that really old and ugly looking naso-labial fold Pixar can’t seem to get rid of, and since the modeling and topology is directly tied to that poor design it results in, yeah, they are related. if they weighted it properly, that ugly fold wouldn’t be there. if you think topology and edge flow don’t have anything to do with design, you’re a lovely character TD. you can’t have one without the other. topology, weighting, rigging, modeling and proper edge flow, character design, and animation are tied at the hip. if you want it to look good, anyway. it’s not HORRIBLE, it’s just… I’ve seen better and Disney deserves to be the best, y’know??

like I said before, don’t start this battle with me bro, you know I know my poo poo and saying I don’t won’t make me mad, it will make you looked uninformed.

…whatever character TD you’re talking about, give them my regards :)

fake it till you make it, apparently.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 12, 2013

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

"Oh no they have nasal labial folds! BAD TOPOLOGY. SO 90s!"

Geez. When I did facial rigging we specifically put joints on that part of the model so we could create those creases when the characters smiled, so it looks more natural. It creates an easily readable expression that's good for cartoony animation. Sure, you can reduce that if you're doing something in the "Epic" style where the characters are on the more realistic side of things (tending into the uncanny valley a bit) but even they have some of that because it's an anatomical feature, and to argue that it's bad topology and weighting, as opposed to a stylistic choice...

Urg.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think that blog is run by a lady if the portfolio link is accurate. Have a beaked dragon WIP to cleanse the palette.

Legs and arms still need a lot of work but I'm happy with the face. Now I need to give it a custom scale job on the head, and a noise pattern for most of the body, except where the legs and arms attach, they get custom scales.

Think those wings would support flight? They seem small, but fit over the back nicely when folded up. Any larger and they seem too big when resting.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 13, 2013

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
The membrane on the wing looks really thick and heavy, the wings are quite a bulky structure overall. They don't seem overly small - if it was animated you could show them being as efficient as possible yet still struggling and it'd look fine. The pose is helping you a lot - seems like he relies on arms & legs to get about a fair amount, so the wings only need to be good enough.
I think the size is fine, but paying attention to the definition of the limbs will help make the way he moves very apparent.

looking forward to seeing it finished!

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

cubicle gangster posted:

Do we have a sliding scale to place bets on them not even working on films right down to 'owns a pirate copy of maya and hasn't figured out the interface yet'?

quote:

hm, that’s interesting.

well, I mean, I have nothing to prove to you… I already have job, and 2 years of school for it tells me I know what I’m saying, sooooo you saying I don’t doesn’t really make me mad or anything… just a little confused on your part

I’m honestly just curious about what you think I’m wrong about more than anything

PS, you don’t need to pirate the last few versions of Maya because they give you the full student version for free when you register with them, but I’m sure you already know that lol

You were oh so close with the latter. Who comes out of school and into a job and still manages to think they know anything about anything? Nine months in AAA gamedev learning new things every day and the list of poo poo I Don't Know is still growing. How does someone this insufferable even get past the interview stage?

Can I see a dorsal view of the dragon showing off the structure of the wings? I can't quite tell how they're set up from this angle. Digging the head, though.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

More views of the head would be cool, I can't get a good sense of it's shape in 3D. I'm guessing some talons will go on the feet. If you're looking for reference or inspiration at all someone did this really cool model: http://konartist3d.deviantart.com/art/Vultureman-Redesign-WIP2-152641214

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks for the comments guys, here are a few more views of the head and wings. I worked a bit today adding some muscle to the wings, trying to figure out how the how the bones would interlock.

One thing to note about the head is that it will be covered on large scales, the surface won't be smooth for long. The feet are straight out of ZSpheres at the moment, no work put there yet but I want them to be like velociraptor feet with that giant talon on the heel. Because I want the raptor feet I think human fist hands won't really work so I might change the hands to tented fingers similar to the rear legs so they aren't as human.

My little cousin saw me working on the dragon and he wanted to try "drawing" so I started him off with a Dynamesh sphere, and taught him about Move brush, Clay Tubes, ZAdd, ZSub, and brush sizes and let him go nuts. Then I showed him how to select paint colours. I was surprised when he actually came up with something, and thought you guys would enjoy it. He named it himself, I thought he was making a duck skeleton or something:

His little sister was giggling so much as she watched him paint the thing.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 14, 2013

Forti
May 5, 2009

There is the beginning of a fantastic concept artist, right there :v:

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Most likely someone who couldn't hack it in the industry..

She would self destruct if she worked at a major studio environment. You got to realize at that level the rigger & TD is so far removed from the character design process it isn't even funny. Especially if you are talking about a Disney princess which is basically design by committee a very big one.

If that's her actual art on that site than she's a good artist at least but in commerial art you are getting paid often times to do someone elses vision even if it goes against what you think is good.

I see the attitude a lot from artists who are strong 2D artists or animators but are forced to work in cg instead of working on a 2D animated epic.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 17, 2013

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I've been approached about instructing grades 6-12 in modeling/animation, and I cannot afford to look any horses in the mouth right now.

Are there any 'small learning curve' programs that handle both modeling and animation out there that I am not aware of? Right now I feel like Maya is the answer, but that may be personal bias and I know very little about 4d/XSI/Houdini(as I understand it the latter two are more about FX/rendering/lighting/composition, yeah?). I also don't know what it's like to animate in 3DS. I do know that I much prefer doing UV mapping in Maya, yet 3DS has that easy mode preset texture library.

I am going to explain these pro/cons of Maya/3ds to this contact, and I'd like to rule out 4d but I can't do that out of hand. And the possibly unknown software. And ugh.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If you're teaching in a zero budget environment Blender is always a free option, apparently the interface is usable now. If you're going to be teaching though don't be one of those teachers that learns a piece of software they don't know one lesson ahead of the class. It's really obvious as soon as one student improves faster than the rest. I'd stick with Maya since you know it, and maybe look into this: http://students.autodesk.com/ if you're worried about getting your students the tools they need.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

DiHK posted:

I've been approached about instructing grades 6-12 in modeling/animation, and I cannot afford to look any horses in the mouth right now.

Are there any 'small learning curve' programs that handle both modeling and animation out there that I am not aware of? Right now I feel like Maya is the answer, but that may be personal bias and I know very little about 4d/XSI/Houdini(as I understand it the latter two are more about FX/rendering/lighting/composition, yeah?). I also don't know what it's like to animate in 3DS. I do know that I much prefer doing UV mapping in Maya, yet 3DS has that easy mode preset texture library.

I am going to explain these pro/cons of Maya/3ds to this contact, and I'd like to rule out 4d but I can't do that out of hand. And the possibly unknown software. And ugh.

Of the packages you mentioned, here are my own thoughts:

Cinema 4D is probably the most intuitive of the bunch, and the easiest for someone who's never touched a 3D program before to get off the ground with. Softimage these days is mostly used for simulation and FX work with the ICE tools, but I think it's a pretty friendly general-purpose package as well. Houdini is an amazing program, but its traditional polygon modeling tools will likely be a bit more awkward for someone just getting started - it is really geared toward procedural modeling / animation, simulation and FX work.

However, ACanofPepsi is absolutely correct - you should really teach the program you know best. It depends on the timetable I suppose - if you have enough of a head start to gain a solid understanding of one of the other packages that might be option, otherwise Maya is probably your best bet.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Big K of Justice posted:

If that's her actual art on that site than she's a good artist at least but in commerial art you are getting paid often times to do someone elses vision even if it goes against what you think is good..

I remember one junior animator quitting because the client didn't approve his animation :).
Similarly when I moved to a studio that previously had done a lot of TV work and a lot of their staff were used to getting their work approved with very few changes on said work. Some of them had a torrid time getting used to the 'process' of doing feature work. One guy in particular, refused to do changes that he didn't get a sufficiently convincing explanation for.
It takes a very special mindset to maintain creative thought and individuality in the feature film process and a lot of people get disillusioned with the whole thing. There's certainly room for individuality and ego, but you really have to pick your battles.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
More Zbrushings:

It could go either way between a dragon and an alien I suppose.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 20, 2013

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

I recently have got some freelance work doing art for indie video games, it's a lot of fun and pushed me to improve quite a bit - here's a couple weapons I made for one project:

I'm decent at props and weapons and the like, I'd like to start practicing organic models, making people and junk.

edit: sorry for the kinda obtrusive logo, I didn't do the final render and don't have any pics without 'em

Telltolin fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 20, 2013

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Been trying to adjust to Maya after 3ds Max keeps getting worse with each iteration. I can't model for poo poo so I mostly look for how things are when it comes to animation. The CAT tool in 3ds Max is amazing but mirroring has been broken for several years and Autodesk is too stupid to fix it. I find it very hard to work in Maya because of the dumb gizmos. If I select a part of a rig and then want to select something that is under the (for example rotation) gizmo then I can't select it through the gizmo. So I have to deselect whatever was selected and then select another thing. Instead of instantly swapping between joints. Completely retarded and I can not understand why Maya behaves like that. No way to fix it either as far as I can tell.

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

Hit 'q' to switch out of whatever tool you're in and into the selection tool.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Hello fellas.
A recent uni assignment had us concept up some robots that can "dispense justice as well as a good espresso." This is what I came up with.

I want to make a nice high-poly version in Zbrush for a decent render, but I'm not sure what the best approach would be. Should I make a basemesh composed of multiple pieces in Maya first and then subdivide? My strengths absolutely do not lie in hardsurface modelling, and the last time I attempted to subdivide some hardsurface bits in Zbrush the results were all curvy and weird. I'll show what I mean.

Another project I am working on is a (warning for limited and non-descript anatomical nudity) cybernetic dolphin man from a story someone I know wrote. Please excuse that drawing at the top of the post, I drew that when I was 16 and this is sort of a revamp. It's been on hold because I'm really stuck with the cybernetics. As you can see with the pictures, I'm just kind of at a loss on how to take it further and really integrate the metal stuff. It's also very evident with the eyepiece I made how with subdivision it became sort of ... gloopy-looking, I don't know. Any advice on that would be helpful. If you don't want to see the whole blog here is a headshot:

reni89
May 3, 2012

by angerbeet
Is softimage dead yet or are all autodesk packages languishing ATM?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

reni89 posted:

Is softimage dead yet or are all autodesk packages languishing ATM?

Let's just say it's not something I'd suggest investing time into learning unless someone is paying you to. There are still Softimage places around, the usual characters, but the only usable development Softimage is really receiving nowadays is mostly just a few ICE nodes.

Maya development seems to be the strongest out of the Autodesk lineup right now. MayaLT is a useless piece of poo poo, though.

reni89
May 3, 2012

by angerbeet
poo poo, time to learn Maya then I guess, my third package I've learnt without ever getting full time placement :(

Best Maya learning material?

chimheil
Jun 22, 2005

reni89 posted:

poo poo, time to learn Maya then I guess, my third package I've learnt without ever getting full time placement :(

Best Maya learning material?

This channel has a lot of great tutorials. http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8RC7C4XAJrl5H8vM1EhdEQ Another place would be https://www.lesterbanks.com.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
What builds are you guys currently using as a home computer for 3D work?

Mine died last week after a few years of good use and i'm in need of a new computer that functions properly for 3D and all other associated things computers do.

Budget is around 1500$ and I'm not in need of a new monitor either. The general guidelines builds in SH/SC seem nice but I was wondering if you guys have any important parts to get or suggest.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Canned Bovines posted:

Hit 'q' to switch out of whatever tool you're in and into the selection tool.

Annoying as hell to swap back and forth just to select something close to what I had selected. But I guess it will have to do. Some script that makes q toggle between select and whatever you had previously but still, it doesn't make any sense to me as to why it is like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Torabi posted:

Annoying as hell to swap back and forth just to select something close to what I had selected. But I guess it will have to do. Some script that makes q toggle between select and whatever you had previously but still, it doesn't make any sense to me as to why it is like this.

QWER.This will let you switch between selection and the various transform controls. Shift-WER will let you set keyframes.