Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

If I understand the question, you can run or make a shortcut to ncpa.cpl

e: To get right into the adapter's control panel page, you can run this from a script (doesn't work from the run command)
start ::{208d2c60-3aea-1069-a2d7-08002b30309d}\::{7007acc7-3202-11d1-aad2-00805fc1270e}\::{Network adapter GUID} where the GUID is from the registry key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Network Cards\<card number>\ServiceName

Yeah, right after I made the post I thought about just making a script of some sort. Thanks for making it easy for me, though :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Inspector_71 posted:

Yeah, right after I made the post I thought about just making a script of some sort. Thanks for making it easy for me, though :v:

You don't even need a script...just right click, drag to desktop, create shortcut

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Medullah posted:

You don't even need a script...just right click, drag to desktop, create shortcut

I am ridiculously OCD about not having desktop shortcuts. This should probably be an exception.

I guess I was just massively overthinking it.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 12, 2013

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
There anything like BGinfo that will always show the status of select services? I want to be able to show on the wallpaper the hostname and the status of some system services, can't find anything like BGinfo that supports services :(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Inspector_71 posted:

I am ridiculously OCD about not having desktop shortcuts. This should probably be an exception.

I guess I was just massively overthinking it.

Me too! But there are always those desktop icons that have to be there...install Fences though and making your desktop "look" empty is just a click or two away!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

We have these computers at work, Lenovo boxes running XP, and they badly need a reinstall. Problem is, we've changed ownership and the guy who had whatever discs may have come with them is long gone.

Is there any way around the OEM key lock nonsense with XP keys? I would hate to pull the product key, flatten the drive, and get halfway through installing XP only to find out the key I pulled wouldn't work. We had that problem with some old Dells, but luckily we still had the original discs. The product key labels on them will be no help at all, since they're for Vista and they were downgraded to XP.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
I now have Windows 8.1 set up on my new Dell E6540 (installed a SSD). Now obviously all the Dell power config things are gone, for better or worse.

What is the best power profile setting for Windows 8? Just the defaults?
What is with Intel Rapidstart or whatever that is?

I would like to have the thing where I close the lid to conserve power but it being back without restart right after I open it again.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Medullah posted:

But there are always those desktop icons that have to be there..

I've been running all my machines, work and home, with desktop icons hidden for years.

I guess I don't really see the point in it. If I have to get to my desktop to do something, then I've wasted time shifting an application out of the way to see it. Plus, it's ugly.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Boner Slam posted:

I now have Windows 8.1 set up on my new Dell E6540 (installed a SSD). Now obviously all the Dell power config things are gone, for better or worse.

What is the best power profile setting for Windows 8? Just the defaults?
What is with Intel Rapidstart or whatever that is?

I would like to have the thing where I close the lid to conserve power but it being back without restart right after I open it again.

I'm pretty sure those are the defaults, on the few machines I've put 8 on I've been pretty happy with how the power management has worked. I never shut them down, only reboot for security updates.

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/what-is-intel-rapid-start-technology

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is there a legitimate site where I can just buy a Windows 7 Product key? I kind of can't wait for shipping for a physical box and apparently no stores sell it anymore. All Windows 8 :argh:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 13, 2013

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

First, let's figure out why Windows 8 is a nonstarter for you.

Most people with issues cite the Start screen. Something like ClassicShell or StartIsBack handles that pretty okay on 8.0, and 8.1 lets you generally default to the desktop rather than the Start screen.

8.0 and 8.1 also benefit from cleaning out a lot of crap and putting system monitoring closer to the user - a lot of stuff once stuck in Resource Monitor is now in the regular Task Manager as well. One of the side effects is that they really did improve the backend - any computer that is qualified to run Windows 8.1* will probably run it better than it did 7.

*Windows 8.1 64-bit demands several CPU instructions that only showed up about five years ago. 32-bit OSes are generally counseled against, regardless of RAM, unless the tools of your trade straight-up don't work in 64-bit.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Oct 13, 2013

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

Sab669 posted:

Is there a legitimate site where I can just buy a Windows 7 Product key? I kind of can't wait for shipping for a physical box and apparently no stores sell it anymore. All Windows 8 :argh:

You have to buy a Windows 8 license and specifically request downgrade rights (you don't just get it even though I'm p sure it's the same price, our helpdesk guy is having a hassle with this on some licenses we already had). We get our licenses from Microsoft directly.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Windows 8.1 + classic start = modern PC bliss.

You're getting the modern WS2012 kernel with all the modern supported stuff, plus better support going forward, W7 is 4 years old at this point.

I was nervous about Win8 support after the whole Vista driver problems, but Vista/7/8 all share the same driver model, even Nvidia's 8.1 preview drivers work great. I have been using Win 8.1 for about a month now with zero issues, classic start gives you the win7 start menu, which honestly is better than the start screen if you don't have a touchscreen device.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Recently reformatted my PC, incorrectly jotted down my product key and re-installed with an invalid key. Have since moved 400+ miles from my old apartment and have no way of getting the actual key. So, don't want to upgrade to 8.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
I'm looking for a program that does a good job at making bootable USB keys from an iso, etc. Any recommendations?

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

IT Guy posted:

I'm looking for a program that does a good job at making bootable USB keys from an iso, etc. Any recommendations?

Try http://rufus.akeo.ie/ or http://www.sarducd.it/

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

IT Guy posted:

And another question like this, is there any good way to get rid of the limitations of "Error 60: File for drive emulation must be in one contiguous disk area"?
I have a working usb-drive that i usually add new isos to and i'm not always successful. Wincontig takes forever to run..

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

IT Guy posted:

Is YUMI no longer the tool of choice?

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Sab669 posted:

Recently reformatted my PC, incorrectly jotted down my product key and re-installed with an invalid key. Have since moved 400+ miles from my old apartment and have no way of getting the actual key. So, don't want to upgrade to 8.

http://www.softwareking.com/MS-Windows-7-professional.html legit afaik

Seems silly to spend money on though

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sab669 posted:

When 8.1 comes out next week, there will be no more upgrade licenses. 8.1 is fully licensed.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

What's the best way to sync Outlook 2013 contacts/calendars/etc. between my desktop (Win7) and laptop (Win8)? I'd like to keep my work contacts from getting mixed up with my personal contacts, these are both gmail accounts. My calendar is also a google calendar.

Extra mega bonus points if that auto-complete list (when you've replied to an address it's suggested as you start typing in the "To:" field, even if it's not in your address book) can also be synced between Outlooks.

So far I'm using gSyncit to sync the desktop with gmail. My previous laptop was Ubuntu and I was using some Thunderbird plugin. Now I have this new laptop and I'm wondering if gSyncit is the best or if syncing between Outlook is better than syncing through Google. I see Sync2 and Outlook Sync but would appreciate any other suggestions.

cycleback
Dec 3, 2004
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources
I had a 2 TB WD Green drive on a Windows 7 system start to fail last night. The computer started really slowing down and partially locking up when I attempted to write a file to the drive. I shutdown as quick as I could and connected a spare drive to make an image ASAP. During the imaging process it encountered bad sectors which I had the imaging program skip. I let it image overnight using O&O DiskImage as it was pretty slow (Estimated ~6.5 hours) and woke in the morning to find that it had started to validate the image (I was hoping to avoid extra stress on the failing drive by validating the image) but it was half done and I wanted some kind of indication off how good the image was. Four defective sectors were reported compared to the image. I have the bad sector numbers that it reported.

1) Is there anyway to figure out from the bad sector numbers determine which files are missing or corrupted?

The image itself is substantially smaller than the disk space occupied on the original drive. The original 2 TB drive was almost full and the image is about 200 GB smaller in size. While I turned on the only image used space option and compressor I am surprised that the image is that much smaller give that almost all of the files are media which is already heavily compressed.

2) Does this likely mean that large numbers of files are in reality missing? I didn't see anything obvious missing when I mounted the image but there are thousands of files. Any explanation for this behavior?

3) Is it worth trying to re-image the dying drive using a Linux live CD and dd_rescue? What about trying to force a read of the bad sectors? Has anyone had any success with that?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
http://lifehacker.com/soundvolumeview-manages-audio-profiles-mutes-devices-a-1446313650

I feel like I've seen the request/question of "is there anything better than Windows volume control to fine tune volume controls for applications?" pop up before in this thread; this program seems to do a good job of that.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

How the hell can I set up a NFS share on a Windows 7 client to be accessible via UNC path?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

cycleback posted:

1) Is there anyway to figure out from the bad sector numbers determine which files are missing or corrupted?

There are various tools that will do this on Windows. A Google search will give you some techniques, but I don't think there's any way of doing it without downloading something.
A search sent me here but I didn't try it to see if the methods work or not.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Does anyone know of a good window docking program? I think I'd like to have something with similar functionality to Visual Studio's pane positioning and docking, but for all running applications.

All I can find by googling is 1) bullshit Mac OS 'dock' apps for windows and 2) a few frameworks which provide a WPF implementation of what I'm describing (eg Avalon Dock) but I'm not interested in implementing this myself.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

titaniumone posted:

Does anyone know of a good window docking program? I think I'd like to have something with similar functionality to Visual Studio's pane positioning and docking, but for all running applications.

All I can find by googling is 1) bullshit Mac OS 'dock' apps for windows and 2) a few frameworks which provide a WPF implementation of what I'm describing (eg Avalon Dock) but I'm not interested in implementing this myself.

Haven't used Visual Studio, but when you say "pane positioning," I think of this: http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Skrommel/index.html#ZoneSize

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I have two questions:

1) If I upgrade to Windows 8.1 from 7, is there a way to preserve the installation of programs at all, or will they all just get stuck in Windows.old if they're on the primary drive? What about programs that are installed on a secondary drive?

2) I already use DupDectector to deal with duplicate images. Is there something recommended for videos?

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Has anyone tried Mailbird? I want to start using an email client and have the tried and true Thunderbird and Outlook clients on standby for when I actually give it a go. But after watching their website's video, I'm kinda liking Mailbird's OSX look and behavior. I'm just wondering if it's worth my time and if there are any lack of features or bugs that were deal breakers for anyone who has tried it.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

hooah posted:

I have two questions:

1) If I upgrade to Windows 8.1 from 7, is there a way to preserve the installation of programs at all, or will they all just get stuck in Windows.old if they're on the primary drive? What about programs that are installed on a secondary drive?

2) I already use DupDectector to deal with duplicate images. Is there something recommended for videos?

1. It will advise you of which programs are not compatible. It will ask you to uninstall those. After 8.1 installation, programs are in their normal spots. Software on other drives is not affected. (or at least, it wasn't for me)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So I've got a question about Windows Updates.

Does the updater service not register on Task Manager's network throughput graph?

I just did a brand new Win8 install, fired up the Task Manager and loaded up Windows Update. It sat at 0% for forever and didn't show any network activity. I got tired of waiting so I just told it to restart and install changes. Lo and behold it sat there for 30 seconds and the reboot screen now says "Installing update X of 42..."

So quite frankly I'm not sure when it actually downloaded these updates. This is just a standalone laptop, not part of any domain with a WU server or anything.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Martytoof posted:

So I've got a question about Windows Updates.

Does the updater service not register on Task Manager's network throughput graph?

I just did a brand new Win8 install, fired up the Task Manager and loaded up Windows Update. It sat at 0% for forever and didn't show any network activity. I got tired of waiting so I just told it to restart and install changes. Lo and behold it sat there for 30 seconds and the reboot screen now says "Installing update X of 42..."

So quite frankly I'm not sure when it actually downloaded these updates. This is just a standalone laptop, not part of any domain with a WU server or anything.

Exact same thing happened with my new laptop. Just gotta be patient and restart a bunch of times. Mine was 10 days ago and I think there were 78 updates just to give you a ballpark.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

crestfallen posted:

1. It will advise you of which programs are not compatible. It will ask you to uninstall those. After 8.1 installation, programs are in their normal spots. Software on other drives is not affected. (or at least, it wasn't for me)

Sure, but no registry entries will be carried over, correct? How much of an impact will that have? Would I be better off removing and reinstalling stuff?

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

hooah posted:

Sure, but no registry entries will be carried over, correct? How much of an impact will that have? Would I be better off removing and reinstalling stuff?
I can't answer that. I had software installed on both c: and d: which are two separate drives. Afterward, everything worked fine. The software on c: is in the normal spots and it works normally. Software on d: works normally.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I use my work laptop out on site regularly at various random locations around the country and have been thinking about starting a regime of blowing it away after I get back so I can be sure no user data or viruses or whatever might have been carried back to the office.
Is their a recommended free for government tool to create an image that will also let me create diff files later so I can roll in Windows and software updates without having to create a whole new image? I'd probably do one from scratch every few months or something, but I'd like to save that time if I could just make "changes only" updates to the disk image.

Or is this just asking for trouble and I might as well make a new image once I've done a full update?

ConfusedNudeMan
Feb 20, 2004

I'm gay for Frank Dux!
When I boot up my PC, I am getting an error about MFC110.DLL missing something like that. I did a Google on it. Some sites have it as a download and to replace it, but I read that is a big no-no and either a system restore or clean install is best solution. So far, I haven't really ran into any major problems other than my AVG virus not starting up on boot and it won't let me load it. When I try loading AVG I get the same missing MFC110.DLL error. This just started happening yesterday and I have not done anything crazy or unusual to warrant this. Updated Windows and Foxit. But can't seem the issues there? I am also having some issues with my uTorrent. Anyone have any ideas? System restore is out of question as I don't have a restore point old enough to go back. A Clean install sounds good and I have been debating one for a few weeks now, but re-downloading and configuring everything is just is BLEH!

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist

Butt Savage posted:

Has anyone tried Mailbird? I want to start using an email client and have the tried and true Thunderbird and Outlook clients on standby for when I actually give it a go. But after watching their website's video, I'm kinda liking Mailbird's OSX look and behavior. I'm just wondering if it's worth my time and if there are any lack of features or bugs that were deal breakers for anyone who has tried it.

I use eM Client for email. I like it a lot.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

ConfusedNudeMan posted:

When I boot up my PC, I am getting an error about MFC110.DLL missing something like that. I did a Google on it. Some sites have it as a download and to replace it, but I read that is a big no-no and either a system restore or clean install is best solution. So far, I haven't really ran into any major problems other than my AVG virus not starting up on boot and it won't let me load it. When I try loading AVG I get the same missing MFC110.DLL error. This just started happening yesterday and I have not done anything crazy or unusual to warrant this. Updated Windows and Foxit. But can't seem the issues there? I am also having some issues with my uTorrent. Anyone have any ideas? System restore is out of question as I don't have a restore point old enough to go back. A Clean install sounds good and I have been debating one for a few weeks now, but re-downloading and configuring everything is just is BLEH!

Go to the Haus of Tech Support sub forum you'll probably get a quick response there. :)

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
So I've got a couple of issues with Win7 SP1 and I am not sure whether they are interconnected.

Laptop is a Lenovo W530 (32GB RAM, Quadro K2000, dual (or triple) SSDs).

I am having troubles with the Windows Event Viewer. Every time I try to launch it, it throws:

code:
Could not load file or assembly 'EventViewer, Version=6.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest.
and the viewer does not work. I thought it was correlated to a borked up .NET installation (since Windows Update was failing to install a couple of updates related to .NET). I did a bunch of different .NET cleanings and then reinstalled the framework and the Windows Updates went through but the event viewer is still borked. I did try "sfc /scannow" that discovered a bunch of problems with my installation but could not fix them.

Simultaneously (but probably not correlated) I installed a new Samsung 840 Pro SSD in my Lenovo's Ultrabay drive and got 2-3 BSODs while resuming from sleep.

Am I totally borked w.r.t. issue #1 above and have to reinstall windows? Or is there some fix that I am missing? And I kinda need to fix issue #1 to debug the BSODs that I am getting.

Help me goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

doctorfrog posted:

Haven't used Visual Studio, but when you say "pane positioning," I think of this: http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Skrommel/index.html#ZoneSize

No, definitely not similar. This is what I'm talking about :