Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BdaaN
Oct 9, 2013

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

To be fair, in the fight against Annie in the district he hurls her into a church and ends up killing hundreds of people. They just blame it on her and never actually explore the fact that whenever Eren transforms people are dying as collateral to complete their objective. Even with him plugging up the wall ended with several people running out in front of the titans to get eaten to give him a chance.

Hoping the author brings that up at some point. I don't particularly like Eren but he's interesting enough, and there's a lot of different routes he can go down.

What did you expect, him to tip toe around the city in his titan form? He had to go all out on Annie, if he didn't he would of lost even faster then he did in the forest scene. And even then if he didnt toss Mikasa up to her she would of gotten away. It was Erwin's plan all along and they were completely aware innocent people would die in process. People aren't going to magically stop dying when he transforms into a titan.

El-Bonko posted:

Come on, people, ザ! Are you ばか or something? :smug:

As I see it, what he did was deny his only remaining family any kind of tenderness in what both of them surely thought was their final moment, for the sake of raging at titans some more. Eren may be a bit unhinged sometimes, but he's not stupid enough to think he can ward off a titan by punching it. He was as shocked as anyone when they were saved by deus ex machina. He was being a jerkhole, and it only worked because of a plot twist out of nowhere.

Did you just look at the pictures and not read at all? He pretty much said he'll protect her for the rest of their lives after her little speech. The fact that he didn't start frothing at the mouth after seeing mom eater is pretty impressive, if he wanted to just kill the titan he would of chewed through his hand again in an attempt to transform. He put aside his anger to save their lives, that's a pretty big step up for Eren in my opinion. There are a few times in the series where he does something subconsciously and then after doing it realizes what he did and wonders how he knew. An example being when he blocked the cannon ball. He said that he had no idea how he did it and said "it cant be explained, just like how you move your arms and legs". Or when he was explaining to Levi Squad that the requirement to transform is a self inflicted wound. I believe this "coordinate" ability was another one of those times.

People make him out to be some uncontrollable force of rage but that's not the case at all. Everytime he's fought since he learned to control his Titan form his internal dialogue has shown that he's fighting with reason. He's become progressively less angry throughout the series but some people in this thread just seem to ignore everything apart from the times he gets angry.

BdaaN fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
I didn't expect people to know what the sound effect was although I can see why you would think that since I edited it into a part of the sentence that made me seem indignant which is my bad sorry, I've gone back and revised my post if it makes it any better. Anyway, that whole scene in chapter 50 was a call back to Eren telling Mikasa that you can't win unless you fight, at that point she had given up and stopped fighting so him standing up and protecting her was meant to be comforting. You can think Eren's a lovely little pissant all you want but you guys trying to spin this in a way where he's actively attempting to hurt her are kind of weird because that's not what he's doing.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Connie stop, those pillows are for the fort.

coathat
May 21, 2007

The prequel novels just got liscensed if any of y'all are into that.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Level Slide posted:

Who is the guy by the door and the girl on the floor?

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Kild posted:

Who is the guy by the door and the girl on the floor?

Dude at the door is Shadis, the drill instructor, the girl on the floor is Mina, one of the redshirts who Eren got killed during his first and last foray into an authority position at Trost.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

And if you mean the other guy at the door, that's Marco.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Terper posted:

And if you mean the other guy at the door, that's Marco.

I didn't even notice him there. Whoops.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
And the guy being stepped on is Thomas.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Jackard posted:

And the guy being stepped on is Thomas.

Wouldn't that be Reiner? Bert is there.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Dude is too slim to be Reiner. Also they drew him knocked out because he died in the show.

http://shingekinokyojin.wikia.com/wiki/Thomas_Wagner

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I like how the artist kept the detail of Bert's constant sweating. :v:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Level Slide posted:

I love how Bert's doing everything he can to fall asleep during all this noise. :allears:

But seriously, Connie...those pillows could have gone towards a nice tower overlooking the fort. And you had to waste them as weapons. For shame.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ymir please stop licking Christa's head, that is rude.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I love that Mikasa is just throwing a punch while happening to hold a pillow. Sure, Annie seems to be using some illegal pillow modifications herself, but that's not how we pillow fight Mikasa.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Looks like all the spinoffs will be in English soon.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-10-11/kodansha-usa-adds-attack-on-titan/junior-high-manga-guidebooks

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-10-11/kodansha-comics-adds-attack-on-titan/before-the-fall-a-choice-with-no-regrets-spinoff-manga

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
What's the pace on the licensed translations? I'm losing my patience with the crappy english of scanlators

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

In that picture, I like to imagine Reiner is just off-panel next to Armin, happily repairing the fort.

It's once a month until sometime next year; the most recently released volume was the one where they returned from the 57th expedition.

fake edit: I guess Wikipedia knows best

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Elotana posted:

What's the pace on the licensed translations? I'm losing my patience with the crappy english of scanlators
Kodansha is up to volume 7, with volume 8 (basically up to the end of the anime) being released on October 29th. They also have release dates for volumes 9 and 10, with those dates being November 26th and December 31st, respectively.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
Taking a look at Kodansha's website volume 8 is due on the 29th of October and volume 9 is due on the 26th of November. IIRC the Japanese volume 11 is coming out in december so they should be caught up around the end of January.

Also, hey, Vinland saga is licensed.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Professor Awesome posted:

Also when Hanji's spear-wielding lackeys are talking behind her back they mention her previous Titan test subjects were named Albert and Chikatilo, if the "infamous cannibal/serial killer" naming convention applied to them as well she presumably named them after Albert Fish and Andrei Chikatilo. Those two were only identified and apprehended in 1934 and 1990, respectively, which further suggests "future setting on Earth"

edit: wait, this may have only been in the anime :(

How come they didn't use Japan's resident cannibal, Issei Sagawa?

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 12, 2013

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

How come they didn't use Japan's resident cannibal, Issei_Sagawa?

I doubt it'd be a smart move to use the name of a man who's still alive and making money off his story about eating a woman. Probably would lead to some weird legal issues.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I watched the anime version of Eren vs. Annie: Redux first, and I don't get why they decided to have Annie knock Eren out underground first before the big fight started.

BdaaN
Oct 9, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I watched the anime version of Eren vs. Annie: Redux first, and I don't get why they decided to have Annie knock Eren out underground first before the big fight started.

TO make it more dramatic.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I liked it. Hanji got to show off, we got some cool scenes that wasn't just Eren v. Annie while everyone else watches, and it felt more natural than just "Eren the world is cruel" "oh my god you are RIGHT".

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Terper posted:

I liked it. Hanji got to show off, we got some cool scenes that wasn't just Eren v. Annie while everyone else watches, and it felt more natural than just "Eren the world is cruel" "oh my god you are RIGHT".

It does make the Recon Corps look kinda stupid, taunting her again when the last time that happened she escaped, and then whaddayouknow, she escapes.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Last time she only escaped because there were titans who could reach her. This time there wasn't, they just underestimated how many restraints they needed.

Of course, if they knew they were in a work of fiction they would have known not to tempt the rules of drama, but they don't.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 12, 2013

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Freddie Wong crew has an Attack on Titan game party.

Game has come a long way since I tried to play it last. Still looks clunky as heck though, haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV2OAgm-IOw

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 12, 2013

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

http://www.amazon.com/Shingeki-Paja...s=shingeki+levi

Heck, why not.

redneck sushi
Aug 5, 2013

Is "characters wearing titan pattern pijamas" a canon thing? or at least one of the author's troll updates? because I've seen it quite often in fanart and cosplay, and it's certainly the kind of stuff Isayama would draw anyway.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oNZove4OTtI

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

http://imgur.com/gallery/XgAQWn0
So...this is a thing. :stare:

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
I'm kind of glad that this anime seems to have more creepy girls fans than boy fans. I didn't think that was possible.

I could be wrong, too. Most of the fandom I've seen so far is heavily women, I might just be avoiding dudes.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 13, 2013

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The series does indeed have a huge fujoshi following. I'm pretty sure that that Levi body pillow candlelit dinner is just a joke, though.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

This reminded me that this show must be a dream come true to the vore crowd.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Not only is that a thing, it is a hilarious thing. I hope its just a joke.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

MeLKoR posted:

This reminded me that this show must be a dream come true to the vore crowd.

The thought of someone fapping to Trost is just…ugh.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Captain Backslap posted:

I'm kind of glad that this anime seems to have more creepy girls fans than boy fans. I didn't think that was possible.

I could be wrong, too. Most of the fandom I've seen so far is heavily women, I might just be avoiding dudes.

For what it's worth, the anime thread was discussing this at one point, and someone was making the point Titan has a pretty large female following because it treats both sexes with a lot of respect. The male and female uniforms are identical and several female characters are in starring roles in the plot (Mikasa, Christa, Annie, Ymir, etc.), have a large fan following (Sasha), and / or are extremely competent in-battle (Petra, Hanji).

The extreme lack of fan service is pretty remarkable, and a definite point in the series' favor.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
There's also the massive Cult of Levi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

AnonSpore posted:

Sentient set of incredibly skimpy clothing that needs Eren's blood to survive. :v:

ActionZero posted:

I can't wait for him to find the vampiric school uniform.

These are slightly old posts, but I can't for the life of me work out which manga/anime they're referencing.