Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Klyith posted:

That's really odd, because everything I've ever heard about the 555/558 is that they have very high efficiency and don't require an amp to sound good. The very first 555s were some higher resistance, but the almost everyone has 32 ohm ones. At the time a ton of reviews pointed to them as the perfect starter audiophile headphone that could still work fine straight from a mp3 player.

They spike to almost 300ohms in the lows. Other than that they sit around 50. They aren't particularly hard to drive, but I found the bass to be muddy and the highs to be lacking without an amp.

@Oneiros, coming from the HD555 I think you'd like the AKG. You can demo them at a Sam Ash music store though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Oneiros posted:

So far I'm leaning heavily towards a set of AKG K240 Studios. From what I can tell they're light, comfortable, open-backed, and have good sound for the $$$. They also look really cool! :v:
They're only semi-open, and can get pretty toasty compared to open-back senns.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Hey Midorka,

What are your thoughts on the Wirecutter reviews? They've been doing a bunch of headphone reviews lately. What's notable is they've been recommending headphones that I previously had never heard of (i.e., they weren't the typical "go-to" choices). They usually get a bunch of different pairs and have various people try them which I think is interesting.

Anyhow - they just came out with the best sub-$100 review and chose these: Sony XBA-C10IP

I'd never heard of them and also can't find them at some of my normal retail choices (Amazon, B&H etc). What do you think? Heard of them before?

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-100-in-ear-headphones/

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

All the details about headphones seem to be focused almost exclusively on sound quality and a little bit on comfort. I, however, am looking for durable. I've been using MEElectronics earbuds, because they're pretty cheap and comfortable, but my current pair just broke after only two months, and my last pair before that was six. It's annoying to have one ear just suddenly start shorting out and have to wait for shipping for a replacement, even if the individual pair isn't that high.
I don't really care about sound quality, because 99% of what I listen to is podcasts. I'm not sure what my budget is, I guess scaling to the lifespan of the headphones recommended, since I'm currently paying ~$40 a year replacing the model I currently use. I prefer an on-cord play/pause button being available.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Lowness 72 posted:

Hey Midorka,

What are your thoughts on the Wirecutter reviews? They've been doing a bunch of headphone reviews lately. What's notable is they've been recommending headphones that I previously had never heard of (i.e., they weren't the typical "go-to" choices). They usually get a bunch of different pairs and have various people try them which I think is interesting.

Anyhow - they just came out with the best sub-$100 review and chose these: Sony XBA-C10IP

I'd never heard of them and also can't find them at some of my normal retail choices (Amazon, B&H etc). What do you think? Heard of them before?

That is an incredibly bad reviews page. They don't review an item because it has some bad feedback on Amazon? Seriously?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lowness 72 posted:

Hey Midorka,

If you don't want to sift through much data, I guess it's okay, but I find Head-Fi to be a much more reliable source of information.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Lowness 72 posted:

Hey Midorka,

I think that it's aimed at the mainstream crowd, not for those who care about min/maxing their value. Here are my complaints:

- Only choosing mic/remote IEMs. There are lots of people who don't use their smart phones for music listening. Let's face it, their battery life can be pretty abysmal. If you're like a lot of people, using a dedicated PMP, then the remote/mic option can be a nuisance due the TRRS plugs which make it unusable in many desktop amps. Yes, I like to listen to my IEMs on my desktop at times.

- Steve Guttenberg as an expert. This guy is the same guy who said that CDs sound better than FLAC. He also raves over headphones I think are complete junk, but then again everyone has different tastes. He shouldn't be writing technical articles though when he has no idea what he's talking about.

- Relying on Amazon/Best Buy reviews is stupid. The majority of people there have very little experience with headphones, let alone the non-mainstream brands. Beats Solo HD has a 4.2 on Best Buy, for instance. Amazon/Best Buy reviews are worthless for certain things and headphone reviews are one of them, outside of reading about basic things like durability.

And looking through the rest of the list it seems like they had a bunch of junk they reviewed/spent their time on. I don't care for the site personally. I find it funny that the Apple Dual Driver IEMs were listed as junk when they are excellent IEMs and sound better than anything I've heard on their list. I don't know where they get their info on the A161p either, but I've not heard anything about them discontinuing a headphone they launched a year or two ago.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I'm getting my deposit back from my landlord, and I've been flirting around with the idea of getting new headphones. Currently i'm working with ATH-AD700s.

Budget: $250, will stretch to $300 max.

Source: Computer, some $50 Creative X-Fi sound card I bought about 3 years ago.

Isolation requirements: none.

Preferred Type of Headphone: Over ear. Favorite thing about these headphones are the fact I forget they're on. Every other headphone has put the death grip on my ears and head.

Tonal Balance: Yes? Uh, more bass than I have now would be cool. These are kind of anemic in that sense.

Past Headphones: Logitech G35 (oucchh), Razer Carcharias

Music selection: Anything really. I don't listen to a lot of bass heavy stuff, but im kinda disappointed when I do with these. I also play a handful of FPS games and being able to hear the location of things is pretty cool.
-----

I don't have any beef with my AD700's aside from the bass. They're fantastic and I've loved them. Also, will going from $90 headphones to $300 ones provide a substantial amount of quality boost? I'd rather not drop $300 if i'm not going to get too much better of a quality increase. I've looked at headphone comparisons on Head-Fi, and all the users there claim night and day differences with pretty small things. Then again they're a place purely dedicated to speakers/headphones, so I guess I can't rip on them too hard.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

You could get the Ad900 or Ad900x, which I feel has a noticeable increase in bass quantity from the Ad700. It won't be a huge difference though until you put your Ad700 on again.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'm an avid FPS gamer and directional audio is hugely important to me. I'll say hands-down that the AD700 and 900 headphones offer the best directional audio of any other headphone I've used to date, and it seems to be the consensus on the Internet. I'm using an 8ch audio card, too, which definitely is important for this (Xonar STX), but success is owed to the sound stage of the headphone drivers in both.

I think the AD900 suffers most from "thin" (but present) bass due to source amplifiers and because of how the pads rest on the ears. When I put W5000 pads on and stuffed paper towels behind my AD900's, after the pads broke in a bit (sealed better) I ended up with a huge improvement to bass. Of course, the AD900-X variants have a pad setup similar to the AD700's, so this issue is remedied (but the W5000 are loving nice and I'd recommend them anyway).

I am running my Icon HDP as a preamp for my Nakamichi TA-2A receiver right now and while the mids are not as present as using the Icon HDP by itself, I'm literally growing a beard headbobbing to sludge rock and heavy metal (Orchid, Kyuss, Dream Evil, Dio, Rainbow). I think that if you don't mind EQing and having a proper source to drive them, the AD900's are up there in "slam" with a lot of the other "slam" headphones. There's a reason they got an A+ on the flagship review thread on head-fi. They still bring a smile to my face every time I put them on and I've owned them for almost three years now (and my AD700's for five, which my girlfriend now uses and loves).

If you like the AD700, the AD900's may be everything you enjoy but better.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks for an excellent and informative thread! I'm currently listening on and very happy with a pair of Sennheiser 598s. I have to admit that I do just have the itch to upgrade. That and some pirated episode of VEEP started off with the loudest loving white noise I ever heard in my life (imagine HBO intro as loud as your headphones could play). My current headphones then had a very loud, high pitched constant tone coming out of them for more than 10 minutes or so when I would try them after unplugging, restarting everything, etc. Things seems to be back to normal but I could swear I am hearing some background noise now during isolated parts of pieces in the higher ranges.

Budget - ~$800

Source - I've been wondering about my source (ASUS Xonar Essence STX). The shielding is excellent so I never notice any interference from being in a PC and I've always kept the power settings at default (0 to 64 ohms). Even at default I barely ever go over the halfway mark for volume when I am using 7.1 virtual surround (which the STX does amazingly well imo). Frankly, I've never driven a pair of headphones and don't know if the STX is considered a good amp.

Isolation Requirements - Nope.

Preferred Type of Headphone - Open ear.

Preferred Tonal Balance - I'm hoping for a balanced sound across all frequencies. Not looking for specific vocal, etc. enhancements

Past Headphones - Besides the 598s that I have now, I've had some previous Sennheiser "PC" focused headphones (with a mic, etc). I have a great separate microphone set up these days and am not interested in microphones or other attachments. Past headphones always had an emphasis on bass that I never enjoyed. I like the clarity of the 598s and really fell in love with them when demoing them off of some Aretha Franklin tunes and that Endless Summer collection of Beach Boys hits ("In My Room" especially). A lot of reviews and the great guide put together by the OP mention a warm or laid back sound and that seems to go well with the classics. As a plus, my ears just never seem to get tired or uncomfortable wearing them and that is great for when I am putting together a radio show or listening to a large body of work for a few hours.

Preferred Music - I listen to mostly old R&B, Jazz, Classical, classic rock/prog rock & country, etc. Not big on electronic. I specifically mentioned balance earlier because I listen to a lot of choral works, organ pieces, etc. that have multiple voices and counterpoint. I want to be able to listen to Bach and not have anything overshadowed in the overall texture of the pieces. I'm one of those guys that has their entire music collection in .flac for no reason ;)

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 15, 2013

DanManIt
Sep 5, 2008

Midorka posted:

I think that it's aimed at the mainstream crowd, not for those who care about min/maxing their value. Here are my complaints:

- Only choosing mic/remote IEMs. There are lots of people who don't use their smart phones for music listening. Let's face it, their battery life can be pretty abysmal. If you're like a lot of people, using a dedicated PMP, then the remote/mic option can be a nuisance due the TRRS plugs which make it unusable in many desktop amps. Yes, I like to listen to my IEMs on my desktop at times.

- Steve Guttenberg as an expert. This guy is the same guy who said that CDs sound better than FLAC. He also raves over headphones I think are complete junk, but then again everyone has different tastes. He shouldn't be writing technical articles though when he has no idea what he's talking about.

- Relying on Amazon/Best Buy reviews is stupid. The majority of people there have very little experience with headphones, let alone the non-mainstream brands. Beats Solo HD has a 4.2 on Best Buy, for instance. Amazon/Best Buy reviews are worthless for certain things and headphone reviews are one of them, outside of reading about basic things like durability.

And looking through the rest of the list it seems like they had a bunch of junk they reviewed/spent their time on. I don't care for the site personally. I find it funny that the Apple Dual Driver IEMs were listed as junk when they are excellent IEMs and sound better than anything I've heard on their list. I don't know where they get their info on the A161p either, but I've not heard anything about them discontinuing a headphone they launched a year or two ago.

With respect to what you said, can I get a recommendation for IEM's for $100 or less? I've just been using the apple earpods on the go and they are really uncomfortable in my ears.

I mostly listen to rock and electronic music, through my laptop.

DanManIt fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 15, 2013

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Incredulous Dylan posted:

That and some pirated episode of VEEP started off with the loudest loving white noise I ever heard in my life (imagine HBO intro as loud as your headphones could play). My current headphones then had a very loud, high pitched constant tone coming out of them for more than 10 minutes or so when I would try them after unplugging, restarting everything, etc. Things seems to be back to normal but I could swear I am hearing some background noise now during isolated parts of pieces in the higher ranges.

That's not a failure mode of passive headphones. Don't throw them away.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Can anyone who's used both compare the base of the Audio-Technica ATH-A900 or Audio-Technica ATH-A900X and the Beyerdynamic DT990? I own and love the DT990 but they get to be a little much after a long time, whereas my ATH-A700s don't sound nearly as lovely but I can wear them indefinitely. This talk about the bass on the 900s has me wondering if I should acquire a pair.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

eddiewalker posted:

That's not a failure mode of passive headphones. Don't throw them away.

Hah, good to hear. I would want to sell them cheap on SA Mart but would never sell anything that may be damaged. Honestly, like most audio worries it probably had to do with me being really high. Didn't help that I listened to all of that new Daft Punk album a few days later. That closing track...

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
At the risk of invoking a lot of rage in this thread I'd like to ask if anyone knows of any relatively cheap ($40 or less-ish) earbuds that are relatively sturdy, have a 90 degree 3.5mm connector and actually have working pause / play / next functionality on the current gen Android phones.

This is probably a lofty request but it seems nowhere that I've searched has good info or they're suggesting $100+ pairs. These will be used on my motorcycle and thus will be in / out of my helmet often and may go through rain, etc. so I tend not to spend lots of money on them. I put my phone in my pocket so a straight connector means they will break very quickly from strain of moving around.

I just bought a pair of Coloud earbuds for very cheap with nice features but the one-button functionality does not work at all on my Droid Maxx even when I downloaded headphone control apps.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. I fully expect to hear that I'm out of luck.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

DanManIt posted:

With respect to what you said, can I get a recommendation for IEM's for $100 or less? I've just been using the apple earpods on the go and they are really uncomfortable in my ears.

I mostly listen to rock and electronic music, through my laptop.

If you're not in a rush, keep and eye on the TDK BA200. They were $115 when I reviewed them, but they're well worth $150. The best IEMs I've heard to date. If you don't want to wait, the thinksound ms-01 are great.

@Zorak, check your Best Buy. If they have a Magnolia they'll have the A900x.

@Incredulous: http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-Sport-Fi-Noise-Isolating-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0038W0K2U

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Did you mean @JP Money? I was about to respond to his post with that very same suggestion.

Also, I take it that the main difference between the ATH-A900x and AD900x is just closed-vs.-open, right? One's not necessarily going to be totally "better" than the other, but more that each has its specific strengths relative to the other and largely dependent on the listening environment. Or am I just off-base here?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Did you mean @JP Money? I was about to respond to his post with that very same suggestion.

Also, I take it that the main difference between the ATH-A900x and AD900x is just closed-vs.-open, right? One's not necessarily going to be totally "better" than the other, but more that each has its specific strengths relative to the other and largely dependent on the listening environment. Or am I just off-base here?

I figured I'd take a shot in the dark and give these a try. Hopefully the song control stuff actually functions as they look pretty decent otherwise. 2,000 reviewers is pretty good evidence of their quality.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

JP Money posted:

I figured I'd take a shot in the dark and give these a try. Hopefully the song control stuff actually functions as they look pretty decent otherwise. 2,000 reviewers is pretty good evidence of their quality.

Good thing to read: http://www.meelec.com/Articles.asp?ID=155

How well the button control works depends very much on what audio player you're using in Android.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

grack posted:

Good thing to read: http://www.meelec.com/Articles.asp?ID=155

How well the button control works depends very much on what audio player you're using in Android.

Yeah, I took a look at that before I ordered. It's purposely vague so I decided to just gamble. The Galaxy S4 and Note 3 are supported so I'd hope the Droid Maxx is as well but you are right it's a toss up until you actually try it out in person.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

the loudest loving white noise I ever heard in my life (imagine HBO intro as loud as your headphones could play). My current headphones then had a very loud, high pitched constant tone coming out of them for more than 10 minutes or so when I would try them after unplugging, restarting everything, etc. Things seems to be back to normal but I could swear I am hearing some background noise now during isolated parts of pieces in the higher ranges.

Sounds more like your ears were broken, not the headphones. =(
Tinnitus is not to be trifled with, letting your ears rest for a few more days!

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Yeah, whoops!

As for the A900x vs Ad900, the difference I've found is that the A900x sounds more lively. This is because the Ad900 has an open back which allows some of the bass impact and highs to trail off into the air. It gives the feeling of being at an open concert. I loved both headphones though. The Ad900x are said to sound like the Ad900 once the Ad900 have broken in. I will say that the A900x fit very loose though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have a pair of TDK BA200 arriving today and I'm excited though I don't have an amp yet to put them through. Usually at work, I use a pair of Sennheiser PX-100 to listen to music (which I've had for probably 7 years now), so this is the first big jump up to something better I've done in a while.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Sounds more like your ears were broken, not the headphones. =(
Tinnitus is not to be trifled with, letting your ears rest for a few more days!

Acht, that's a horrifying thought. I think I'm lucky that I always listen at reasonable volumes. Either way, if anyone has any thoughts on my amp/headphone recommendations I'm stoked for them!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I'm looking to get a new pair of wireless headphones for general use/gaming(on a PC). I've been using the PS3 Wireless Headset and I really like it, only problem is the weight of it hurts my neck if I wear them too long. I don't think I'm very picky about the quality of the sound but I'd like to get the best for my budget. Bonus points if they're USB but it's not required.

Budget - Ideal range is $100-$150 but I'd be willing to go up to $200
Source - PC. Would knowing my CPU help?
Isolation Requirements - Not really
Preferred Type of Headphone - Obviously overear
Preferred Tonal Balance - I know very little about this kind of stuff so I dunno.
Past Headphones - PS3 wireless headset. Great except for the weight
Preferred Music - N/A

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, my first impression of the BA200 was "Hmm, very detailed, lacking in punch though, maybe I really do need to have an amp."

Well, then I tried swapping out the pre-installed large tips for the smaller ones.

Oh poo poo, now that's better. I haven't heard bass this clear from such a small package before.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Where can I buy nice, fancy-looking RCA cables without paying for $100 "interconnects?" The Monoprice "premium" cables have way more negative reviews than I'm used to seeing there.

I finally got a nice listening spot set up and bought a 6x6 source/destination switch, so I'm excited to get all my sources and headphone amps wired up for easy switching. I realize the benefits are largely psychological, but I'd still like to ditch all my cheap pack-in cables.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

eddiewalker posted:

Where can I buy nice, fancy-looking RCA cables without paying for $100 "interconnects?" The Monoprice "premium" cables have way more negative reviews than I'm used to seeing there.

Really? Where are you getting that? I just popped on their website and the many reviews seemed overwhelmingly 5-star. I can't imagine they'd be particularly bad, given that cables are Monoprice's bread and butter. What do you want to use them for?

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 17, 2013

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Really? Where are you getting that? I just popped on their website and the many reviews seemed overwhelmingly 5-star. I can't imagine they'd be particularly bad, given that cables are Monoprice's bread and butter. What do you want to use them for?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021814&p_id=5346&seq=1&format=4#feedback

As I scan the first page of reviews, I see lots of complaints about tight connector fit and brittle connectors breaking.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

eddiewalker posted:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021814&p_id=5346&seq=1&format=4#feedback

As I scan the first page of reviews, I see lots of complaints about tight connector fit and brittle connectors breaking.

Unless you plan on plugging and unplugging the cables regularly (like, daily), it's not going to be a problem.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

bull3964 posted:

So, my first impression of the BA200 was "Hmm, very detailed, lacking in punch though, maybe I really do need to have an amp."

Well, then I tried swapping out the pre-installed large tips for the smaller ones.

Oh poo poo, now that's better. I haven't heard bass this clear from such a small package before.

With IEMs the most important thing is getting a good seal. It's best to open your jaw and with your opposite hand tug at the top of your ear pulling it up and back. This opens the ear canal and when you get them in nice and sealed and relax your jaw/let go of your ear you'll have a great seal.

It takes some playing around though.

El Spider
Nov 9, 2012

Budget - ~300$
Source - Laptop
Isolation Requirements - none
Preferred Type of Headphone - over ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - I don't think I have enough experience with headphones to mention anything but I think like some bass, it's not a must though.
Past Headphones - a bunch of lovely ones not worth mentioning, and a razer carcharias.
Preferred Music - hip hop, rock

I'm ready to step my game up and drop some money on headphones. My options for trying headphones out in stores are limited but I came across the Sen HD558 and Momentum and really liked both. I found the 558 really comfortable and the Momentum's on ear demo was pretty good too. I'm leaning towards the over ear Momentum right now, is there anything else I should be looking at in my price range that could do what the Momentum does better? I've looked at 2 reviews of the AD900 mentioned a couple pages ago and its sitting at the same level as the 558 for me. Am I missing out on anything by not using an amp? I'm not terribly interested in getting one.

I'm considering waiting until black friday/cyber monday to make a purchase also, does this open up new possibilities in this strange technology fetish?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Either way, if anyone has any thoughts on my amp/headphone recommendations I'm stoked for them!

Seconding this because I'm curious to know what's out there for a 800$ budget. Lower or higher I could help you, but at that range I have no idea. Maybe the Senns HD650? No personal experience with them but they should work nicely with your musical preferences; they're not what you'd call balanced, though.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

El Spider posted:

Budget - ~300$
Source - Laptop
Preferred Tonal Balance - I don't think I have enough experience with headphones to mention anything but I think like some bass, it's not a must though.
Past Headphones - a bunch of lovely ones not worth mentioning, and a razer carcharias.

I'm ready to step my game up and drop some money on headphones. My options for trying headphones out in stores are limited but I came across the Sen HD558 and Momentum and really liked both. I found the 558 really comfortable and the Momentum's on ear demo was pretty good too. I'm leaning towards the over ear Momentum right now, is there anything else I should be looking at in my price range that could do what the Momentum does better? I've looked at 2 reviews of the AD900 mentioned a couple pages ago and its sitting at the same level as the 558 for me. Am I missing out on anything by not using an amp? I'm not terribly interested in getting one.

I'm considering waiting until black friday/cyber monday to make a purchase also, does this open up new possibilities in this strange technology fetish?

My experience of the Ad900 vs the HD558. The Ad900 is more comfortable and quicker in sound, much more open sounding and better tonal balance. The HD558 lean warm, and clean, with good imaging. Both are great headphones, though I preferred the Ad900. I think you'd like the Momentum more than both though because I'm guessing you liked how punchy they sounded.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

seravid posted:

Seconding this because I'm curious to know what's out there for a 800$ budget. Lower or higher I could help you, but at that range I have no idea. Maybe the Senns HD650? No personal experience with them but they should work nicely with your musical preferences; they're not what you'd call balanced, though.

I only say balanced because I listen to so many classical pieces where you tend to hear important voicing across a wide range of frequencies. One of my favorite programs is Pipedreams, which travels around the world for performances on tons of different organs and venues. I'd hate to spend a decent amount of money and not have as good of a representation of the hellish low end of a massive organ compared to the ghostly high end stuff. If I was spending more than $800 I'd probably just wait and get the Sennheiser HD 800. Hell, I could get it now but I'm not so convinced that I will really hear a difference. So many buzzwords and I don't understand enough about the actual engineering to make an informed decision.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Update: My Nakamichi Stasis vintage receiver I got for free sounds better than the amplifier portion of my Nuforce Icon HDP. The receiver allows you to bypass its internal preamps in favor of any other source so I did some experimenting.

Right now I'm running s/pdif through my Xonar STX to the Icon HDP, which is being used as the preamp and DAC for my Nakamichi TA-2A. I thought the Icon sounded great before but holy poo poo, something about the Nakamichi just fills out music. I'm hearing stuff I've never heard before, in extremely great detail. It's really true that old receivers have some magic in them that you just don't find often in newer setups.

I was about to drop coin for a Schiit Mjolnir and DAC stack but at this point I don't even see a need. :coal:

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

$800 is serious money for a pair of headphones. At that price point you should go to a headphone meet, they happen all the time and you can find one on Head-Fi. Spending $800 on headphones based on a guess is something I wouldn't do.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

I only say balanced because I listen to so many classical pieces where you tend to hear important voicing across a wide range of frequencies. One of my favorite programs is Pipedreams, which travels around the world for performances on tons of different organs and venues. I'd hate to spend a decent amount of money and not have as good of a representation of the hellish low end of a massive organ compared to the ghostly high end stuff. If I was spending more than $800 I'd probably just wait and get the Sennheiser HD 800. Hell, I could get it now but I'm not so convinced that I will really hear a difference. So many buzzwords and I don't understand enough about the actual engineering to make an informed decision.

If the 598 are anything like the 555 and 595, hell yes you will and I say this as someone who's three years past the initial "euphoria". At 1400$ they're pretty hard to recommend, but if you can find a good deal (I got them for ~900$) this random guy on the internet says you will not regret it.

e: ^^^^^^ Also, yeah, you should probably do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

El Spider posted:

Budget - ~300$
Source - Laptop

An amp is only to power your headphones appropriately if the source can't. Sometimes amps add noise or whatever, but for the most part it usually doesn't do much if it's a transistor amp. If it helps, the HD558 has some funky impedance (resistance to current) things going on, meaning an amp would definitely help, while the ATH-AD900 does not—that can be run off just about anything because it also has a lower power requirement, so no amp necessary.

As far as the Momentum goes, it almost mutes the highest note on a standard 88-key piano, which will sound really weird if you have high notes in your music, or electric guitar solos that have really high-pitched arpeggios etc. However, that was intentional in the design, so it's not like this is an unintentional fault or anything. The most important thing is whether or not YOU like the sound.

Cyber Monday is a PERFECT time to hunt Amazon deals, because they usually have a lot to offer.

As far as sound goes, the HD 558 is mostly flat (all notes same volume) though the lowest bass notes are quiet in comparison to the rest of your music. The ATH-AD900 is all-the-way flat with super minor shifts that you won't hear, but some people don't like this kind of sound because it doesn't emphasize any note over another. the Momentum's frequency response (how loud each note is in relation to all others) is closer to what's called an equal loudness contour, which means heavy bass/cymbal/hi-hat emphasis. You said you like their sound, so looking for headphones with similar performance like the V-Moda M-100, Audio Technica ATH-M50, Bowers & Wilkins P5, etc. might reveal a set of headphones that are more comfortable for you, or durable, or have features you like.

Review sites like the following will show you graphs so you can see roughly what each headphone sounds like:
Innerfidelity (innerfidelity.com)
Reviewed.com (headphones.reviewed.com)
headphone.com (HeadRoom)
Golden Ears (en.goldenears.net)

Hope that helps a bit, if you have more questions, let 'em fly.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 17, 2013