Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

King Vidiot posted:

The House of the Devil is a good "slow burn" horror movie where the villains are basically ordinary people, the supernatural elements are vague enough to where you're not sure if they're real or not, and there isn't much in the way of violence and gore. It's fairly recent but it feels like something out of the late 70's, and it has Tom Noonan (of Manhunter) in it as one half of the Satanist couple.

It's a bit like Rosemary's Baby, inasmuch as the general premise and pacing.

Uh. It's not exactly non-stop gore or anything but House of the Devil is pretty bloody between the best friend character getting her brains graphically blown out in the car and everything from the discovery of the murdered family onwards being a bloody murderfest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

new nightmare is painfully bad,

You're crazy, New Nightmare is the best one in the series after the original.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

DeimosRising posted:

Uh. It's not exactly non-stop gore or anything but House of the Devil is pretty bloody between the best friend character getting her brains graphically blown out in the car and everything from the discovery of the murdered family onwards being a bloody murderfest

That's why I said there "isn't much", not that there wasn't any at all. Gore isn't a focal point so much as it's another means to make the viewer uncomfortable. It's not Saw gore, it's more Dario Argento gore.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

penismightier posted:

In general if it ain't Blade Runner, always watch the original cut.

"In general" excluding Aliens, Das Boot, The Big Red One, Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid, Almost Famous, Apocalypse Now, CE3K, Dawn of the Dead, Leon, Touch of Evil, Metropolis and Terminator 2.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Jedit posted:

"In general" excluding Aliens, Das Boot, The Big Red One, Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid, Almost Famous, Apocalypse Now, CE3K, Dawn of the Dead, Leon, Touch of Evil, Metropolis and Terminator 2.

Are you serious? Apocalypse Now Redux, CE3K directors cut, and Terminator 2 "Ultimate Edition" are garbage. Especially T2, that's just scenes that were yanked for a reason 20 years ago hamfistedly shoved back in. It's telling that on the old DVD set it was just an easter egg, there's is no reason in the world to watch it twice. Apocalypse Now Redux demolishes the perfectly pitched pacing of the theatrical, suddenly in the middle of a descent into madness we timeout for a quick dinner party.

Dawn of the Dead '78 or '04? '78's probably better than theatrical, but there's so many different versions of that that it really doesn't fall in the same category as something like PA4.

Aliens and Almost Famous directors cuts are... fine. They're... fine.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Daveski posted:

You're crazy, New Nightmare is the best one in the series after the original.

New Nightmare has a special place in my heart for being the first one that I saw, it was fantastic and brought the series back to its genuine horror roots.
The first one still makes me incredibly uneasy to this day, it most likely has to do with the soundtrack.
Dream Warriors was just plain fun to watch while being an awful horror film.

I blank the others out.

The remake also never loving happened.

Soylent Green
Oct 29, 2004
It's people
I tend to watch the Special Edition of Aliens because I want to spend longer immersed in the world of that film but structurally the theatrical cut is better. It's easy to forget with repeated viewing how well the tension of going to LV-426 and not knowing what has happened is built up in the first half hour. The special edition does away with that. On the other hand thematically the special edition is better. Swings and roundabouts, perhaps.

The Abyss is the James Cameron film that demands to be seen in it's extended form, the theatrical cut is essentially incomplete. Daredevil becomes a lot more watchable in the Director's Cut. They're rare exceptions though.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Soylent Green posted:

I tend to watch the Special Edition of Aliens because I want to spend longer immersed in the world of that film but structurally the theatrical cut is better. It's easy to forget with repeated viewing how well the tension of going to LV-426 and not knowing what has happened is built up in the first half hour. The special edition does away with that. On the other hand thematically the special edition is better. Swings and roundabouts, perhaps.

The Abyss is the James Cameron film that demands to be seen in it's extended form, the theatrical cut is essentially incomplete. Daredevil becomes a lot more watchable in the Director's Cut. They're rare exceptions though.

I've always thought the ideal cut of Aliens would be theatrical + sentry guns and the extended conversation between Ripley and Newt about her daughter.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

The last 8 minutes are great. The first 7 hours are Lady 80's Pantsuit Zombie being boring in an empty house.

I feel like we didn't watch the same movie. It's a little slow-ish at first (though "HELP ME I AM IN HELL" and the guy cutting himself to pieces are fantastic scenes) but as soon as they go to Hell the movie just goes completely batshit insane and never lets up, and that's like at the halfway point.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I own two copies of Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers. I never asked for any of this.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Looking for recommendations for some demonic films with an interesting, sinister, yet comically smug antagonist and absurd amounts of blood.

Something in the style of Hellraiser, Lord of Illusions, Evil Dead, Event Horizon or Wishmaster with the taunting one liners earns bonus points.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Verizian posted:

Looking for recommendations for some demonic films with an interesting, sinister, yet comically smug antagonist and absurd amounts of blood.

Something in the style of Hellraiser, Lord of Illusions, Evil Dead, Event Horizon or Wishmaster with the taunting one liners earns bonus points.

Dead Alive? Doesn't fit the singular antagonist angle, but makes up for it with buckets of bloods.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 14, 2013

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Dead Alive? Doesn't fit the singular antagonist angle, but makes up for it with buckets of bloods.

Seen it along with most of Jackson's films. Possibly the best one liner in any film ever and funny as gently caress but lacking in suspense.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
New Nightmare can be summed up with the scene where Wes Craven calmly and quietly explains the plot of the movie, and they cut to Heather Langenkamp with the stupidest look on her face.

It's a microcosm of the whole movie. Good concept with horrible execution and really bad acting.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

If you liked Lake Mungo, check out My Amityville Horror on streaming. It's tonally more tragic than scary, but Danny Lutz has a personality that keeps you on edge. He reminds me a lot of Vietnam Vetrans I was around as a kid, keeping people on eggshells as if he's baiting them to piss him off.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

penismightier posted:

I've always thought the ideal cut of Aliens would be theatrical + sentry guns and the extended conversation between Ripley and Newt about her daughter.

This actually describes the cut they showed on TV 38's Movie Loft in the late 80's. It was the first version my brother and I saw, and we could never figure out what happened to the sentry guns after that.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

Verizian posted:

The series you're looking for is Warlock and its sequel with Julian Sands.

Also, consider Faust: Love of the Damned... but also don't, because it's wretched.

Edit: Dare I say it... Leprechaun?

Yancy_Street fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 14, 2013

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Coffee And Pie posted:

I own two copies of Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers. I never asked for any of this.

So me, you and Paul Rudd are the only people who have more than 1 copy of that movie, eh?

I seriously also have 2. I consciously bought the first one, but...well, let's just say you shouldn't be drunk at a Circuit City. You end up with things like Halloween 6 and the Manitou and you don't know why.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm pretty sure there's some kind of Halloween III conspiracy where all horror nerds own at least one copy of Halloween 6, Evil Dead 2, and Day of the Dead that they don't remember buying.

e: and Texas Chainsaw. I remember buying the "hamburger" package. Where did the original and the steel book come from? :iiam:

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 14, 2013

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Glamorama26 posted:

So me, you and Paul Rudd are the only people who have more than 1 copy of that movie, eh?

I seriously also have 2. I consciously bought the first one, but...well, let's just say you shouldn't be drunk at a Circuit City. You end up with things like Halloween 6 and the Manitou and you don't know why.

One of them I bought because it came in a $5 combo pack with H20 and Resurrection, the other...just kinda showed up one day.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

If you liked Lake Mungo, check out My Amityville Horror on streaming. It's tonally more tragic than scary, but Danny Lutz has a personality that keeps you on edge. He reminds me a lot of Vietnam Vetrans I was around as a kid, keeping people on eggshells as if he's baiting them to piss him off.

I really liked this documentary. I'm a skeptic but the way he speaks is so convincing that I actually found myself believing him at some points. He comes off as an rear end in a top hat at times but I can understand why, if his childhood was as awful as he described. It's definitely much better than the subpar reviews suggest, IMO.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I liked the Nightmare on Elm Street remake...

:smith:

And yeah it's not a movie, but American Horror Story is pretty loving good.

E: I mostly look at a good movie as one that entertains me. It doesn't have to be particularly well made. I can say a movie is well made but didn't entertain me very much (Maniac remake comes to mind) and I can say a movie was absolutely horribly made but really entertained me (Pieces comes to mind).

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Cole posted:

I liked the Nightmare on Elm Street remake...
In its defense, the Drug Store scene was legitimately terrifying and the one really well put-together scene, but the movie is just a mish-mash of Nightmares 1 and 6.

I really wish they'd stop remaking good movies that are already essentially perfect. Remake bad movies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Have any of y'all watched Body Bags? Its got the most ludicrous cast I've ever seen in an anthology horror film: John Carpenter as the cryptkeeper, Stacy Keach, Debbie Harry, Sheena Easton, Roger Corman and an ancient Robert Agar, Twiggy, Mark Hammil, Charles Napier - why in the world was this made? Its really funny, too.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

penismightier posted:

I basically think everything in the extended edition is cool except the pre-alien-invasion-colony scenes which aren't badly done or anything but are just wildly unnecessary and detract from the eerie feeling when the marines show up.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I feel like we didn't watch the same movie. It's a little slow-ish at first (though "HELP ME I AM IN HELL" and the guy cutting himself to pieces are fantastic scenes) but as soon as they go to Hell the movie just goes completely batshit insane and never lets up, and that's like at the halfway point.

Yeah the parts he was complaining about take up, at most, ten minutes of the movie and are honestly pretty cool regardless.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
My biggest problem with remakes is when they spend far too long establishing a VERY well known mythos (Nightmare, Halloween, and especially the off-topic Spider-man reboot).

If you're telling a WHOLE BRAND SPANKING NEW origin (Batman Begins, Man of Steel), that's fine.

The three remakes most everyone agrees are great are Dawn of the Dead (zombies exist, no time to explain), Friday the 13th (the 1st, second and third movies are established in a 30 second clip, and recreated differently early in the film, respectively), and Texas Chainsaw which tried really hard not to recreate or sully the original.

Rob Zombie's Halloween was also very different from the original, while very respectful, but it was simultaneously too different and too unique to not play to the die hard fans who said boo to remakes and never let up. I love it a lot because it's so different. But I'm in a tiny minority where most horror fans are "purists".

Then there's movies like The Blob, The Thing, and the Tom Savini NOTLD which are infinitely better than their already-good originals.

And apparently there's a remake of Sleepaway Camp but I refuse to watch a remake of absolute cinematic perfection. :colbert:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Have any of y'all watched Body Bags? Its got the most ludicrous cast I've ever seen in an anthology horror film: John Carpenter as the cryptkeeper, Stacy Keach, Debbie Harry, Sheena Easton, Roger Corman and an ancient Robert Agar, Twiggy, Mark Hammil, Charles Napier - why in the world was this made? Its really funny, too.

Yes. All I remember is a mini-slasher in a gas station and Mark Hammil with a garden trowel.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Oh man, you gonna love some Scream Factory release soon.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I've been looking at the horror films on Netflix but I'm really not sure about some of them. How are The Theater Bizzare, Mad House, The Ward and Shrooms?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Glamorama26 posted:

Oh man, you gonna love some Scream Factory release soon.

Hot drat, John Carpenter commentary? The one with Stacy Keach is a riot.

Golem II posted:

I've been looking at the horror films on Netflix but I'm really not sure about some of them. How are The Theater Bizzare, Mad House, The Ward and Shrooms?

Theatre Bizarre: good idea, unevenly done
Madhouse (if it's the Vincent Price/Peter Cushing movie and not something else): really fun and funny
The Ward: disappointment
Shrooms: terrible waste of time

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 14, 2013

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

And apparently there's a remake of Sleepaway Camp but I refuse to watch a remake of absolute cinematic perfection. :colbert:

Can't find any information about a remake but apparently there is a Sleepaway Camp IV.

MantisToboggan
Feb 1, 2013

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

After watching through all of them, some of the Hellraiser sequels have their merits. 2 is pretty good, I had some issues with it but if you enjoyed the first movie you should give it a shot. 4 has its merits, and I think 7 and 8 are better than 3/5/6/9. But overall there's not much reason to go beyond 2.

The problem with the Hellraiser franchise is that no one who worked on the sequels understood the appeal of the original. All the sequels (including the second, which I enjoy) portray the Cenobites as cackling, evil demons, but the unique thing about the original is that they're not malevolent: Pinhead and co. are alien beings from another reality who have very, very, different ideas about pleasure than humans do ("Angels to some, demons to others"). The suffering they inflict is a religious ritual, and in the novella they even warn the people who summon them that they might not enjoy what they're asking for. That's a premise that has a lot of potential.

But no, everybody wanted to make the next Friday the 13th and suddenly the Cenobites are soul-hungry villains. Yawn. Even the comics that Clive Barker are co-writing suffer from the same lack of creativity. Not sure anybody should be looking forward to the sequel he's written.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Golem II posted:

Can't find any information about a remake but apparently there is a Sleepaway Camp IV.

Tried finding it, too, now that you mentioned it.

Apparently what was a reboot is now a reboot-sequel or something. Either way, the original is a masterpiece, and the two sequels are probably the best camp (haha) films ever made.

I don't think the world is ready for the levels upon levels of irony it would take to remake the original.

Unless they did it so straight-faced that they could pretend a transgendered person merely existing was still more shocking than the literal piles of dead people around them.

MILTONS COD
Dec 30, 2006

The heart of standing is we cannot fly.

OK Octopus posted:

Also, consider Faust: Love of the Damned... but also don't, because it's wretched.

Faust: Love of the Damned is the first thing I thought of and I think it's legitimately 'so bad it's good' and worth checking out for that alone.

Warlock is just good though.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Captain Mog posted:

I really liked this documentary. I'm a skeptic but the way he speaks is so convincing that I actually found myself believing him at some points. He comes off as an rear end in a top hat at times but I can understand why, if his childhood was as awful as he described. It's definitely much better than the subpar reviews suggest, IMO.

I loved the way the director used the scene with the chicken lady claiming to have a piece of Jesus' crucifix to make you think to yourself, "this poor person wanted to believe so badly she let herself get conned," which is exactly what happened to Daniel Lutz. For me it did a better job of stripping his credibility as a witness than some of the reporters and experts they interviewed.

Warm und Fuzzy fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Oct 14, 2013

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

penismightier posted:

Eh. I think comparing the theatrical cut of Aliens (1986) to the `director's cut' is a great example of the power of good editing.

The stuff on the colony before the marines show up is just poison. That anyone prefers it is, I think, an illustration of the problem of the whole `expanded universe' mindset. You know that story about George Lucas, where he's asked in a Q&A about what happened to Luke and Han and everyone after the end of Jedi and he thinks about it for a second and then says, `They died'? The `expanded universe' mindset says well, yeah, of course...everyone dies...but I wanna know what really happened, as if there was a fact of the matter to be uncovered. That's more or less what those scenes on the colony are. The film becomes a sort of docent, and the narrative a sort of curated exhibit. I'm sure you all were taught in your history books that all the colonists died, but if you turn to your left you can see what really happened. This is in contrast to the way the narrative works in the theatrical cut, where what the audience knows is more or less exactly what Ripley knows...so when the marines show up and start exploring, that's something that the audience is a part of.

This is supported more broadly by the symbolic associations the film makes between Ripley and Earth and motherhood. And really I think that's the reason we don't need to hear Ripley explicitly talking about motherhood. Then we're tempted to read her feelings and actions as being just about her role as a mother, instead of being about Motherhood in the abstract. Ripley works better, in the film, having a thwarted sense of Motherhood, not just being a thwarted mother; it dovetails better with the concupiscent fecundity of the alien queen that she's placed in opposition with. This isn't something that should be reduced to exposition. And what's more, one of the things that binds Ripley to the audience is that there's virtually nothing that we learn about her in the theatrical cut of the first two films (the synoptic gospels of the Alien canon) that we don't see on screen.

I'm not as much against the sentry gun thing, but I don't think it's necessary and, in a narrative as efficient as the one in Aliens I think that editing it down by taking away more and more until the narrative breaks and then adding in just enough that it works again is precisely the right approach. In the first film there's basically one problem that (literally) gets bigger and bigger (because it's a dick, you see). In the second the problems multiply, and inside every big problem are several little problems---they want to get from point A to point B but in order to do that first they've got to do two other things, and so on. So as the story progresses the number of problems gets bigger and bigger. At the same time, everything they've got themselves is getting smaller and smaller---losing men, equipment, time, and so on. The sentry gun scene, as filmed, basically introduces an element just to discard it, and so it sorta fucks up those two general arrows of action that run through the narrative. I mean a film isn't a geometry problem, and I'm not trying to say that one scene plus or minus completely makes or breaks the film. But the theatrical cut has this amazing concision that any of the material in the `director's cut' tramples on.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Golem II posted:

It should be watched by no one. Ever.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Return to Sleepaway Camp is an awful movie, but it's the only Sleepaway Camp movie that makes me feel as uncomfortable as the first one. Every time I think of its attempt at a catchphrase, "Your rear end stinks!" I just cringe.

weekly font posted:

It should be watched by no one. Ever.
And cannot be as it's an incomplete film.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Did the person accused of having a stinky rear end indeed have a stinky rear end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

OK Octopus posted:

Edit: Dare I say it... Leprechaun?

I'm beginning to worry that I've seen most films people will suggest.

Caught a horror channel marathon of Leprechaun a few years back, got bored half way through Back 2 Tha Hood and my brain felt numb for a few days afterwards. The first two Warlock's are ok and the third has Ashley Laurence in it but they dropped the ball by ditching Sands for the new guy.

Faust is a possibility with Andrew Divoff and Brian Yuzna being involved but the trailer feels like the quality has really dropped since Return of the Living Dead 3 which isn't something you can say about most films but it should be worth a laugh.