Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Naturally Selected posted:

Verifying is nice, and I don't think the beta had the spot lockout that BF3 had. The big benefits to the PLD in shanghai are that it cuts through the inevitable dust cloud and lets you pick out bits of enemies sticking out-when the skyscraper falls, good luck spotting jack poo poo all if you're in a good observation position.
Yeah, that's pretty much where the thing is brilliant... but even on Domination with AK5C Recon it's a valuable gadget if you're like me and focus on fighting for the rooftop above the arcade (the one accessed by elevator or ladder), to attack enemies down below so that someone else can cap the B flag.

The AMR thing sounds delicious. Although with my luck I'd be a hapless pubbie-played one of the alpha builds for A3 and as usual, the mystery-zeroed red dot sight I was given couldn't hit poo poo all past 10m or so, while the AI headshot me from 400m out with them. :saddowns:

E: I actually wouldn't mind basic wind in the game, although I can imagine how fuckoff hard it would be to implement correctly in an MP game. Sniper pulled it off for single player, at the cost of sacrificing... well, everything else about the game.
Ehh, one big thing about ARMA 3 is that for most long guns your Zeroing is displayed even if it's fixed; for example, the dot sights and holosights are by default going to show "200" (meters), although there's a 100 meter-zeroed version for SMGs, while the "ACOGs" (RCO, ARCO, MRCO) are fixed to 300 meters but show 300 meters near the fire mode selection.

Thankfully, the ARMA 3 AI is also WIP...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Chortles posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much where the thing is brilliant... but even on Domination with AK5C Recon it's a valuable gadget if you're like me and focus on fighting for the rooftop above the arcade (the one accessed by elevator or ladder), to attack enemies down below so that someone else can cap the B flag.

In domination, if you aren't spawning with the T88 then slowly walking everywhere while constantly spraying hot death all over anyone unlucky enough to be within 30m of you, you're doing it wrong.

Also, m870. I can't wait for release, so I can set it up with a full choke. :unsmigghh:

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I know Battlefield is no hardcore simulator or anything but the stickers on tanks etc. look dumb as gently caress and completely out of place.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Well that's new. I remember Arma 2 being like "You picked up a M4? Well I hope you know its default zeroing because we ain't tellin you." I've made much more use of the mildots in the BF4 beta than I did in BF3 thanks to zeroing. Even if I was at 200 I would just adjust instead of cycling through if it meant I lost a target or not.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Ularg posted:

Well that's new. I remember Arma 2 being like "You picked up a M4? Well I hope you know its default zeroing because we ain't tellin you." I've made much more use of the mildots in the BF4 beta than I did in BF3 thanks to zeroing. Even if I was at 200 I would just adjust instead of cycling through if it meant I lost a target or not.

The zeroing is in the top right of your screen in arma 2. Although I don't think the m4 had it.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
Knocking out choppers with manually aimed RPG shots just never gets less awesome.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Jippa posted:

The zeroing is in the top right of your screen in arma 2. Although I don't think the m4 had it.

Nothing that didn't have an adjustable zeroing didn't actually show a zeroing in Arma 2.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ularg posted:

Arma 2 was bullshit with that. "Hey here's a gun that doesn't tell you it's zero, has no tracers, and gives no hit feedback. Go kill poo poo!"

Actually, browsing around wiki looking at BF4's guns, I saw that the ballistic scope in 3 actually had proper ranging ability. :psyduck: I always eyeballed it/took ranging shots instead. I do wonder how the 40x sight is going to work in 4, though, since that seems a bit overkill-12x in 3 was enough to easily hit moving targets at 800m+, and unless 4 just has the most ludicrously massive maps around, I'm not really seeing the use in anything past 20x or so. I'd think that at 40x you would have to actually lead a target at least a scope's width if not more at those ranges.

Ed: Wait so is the beta over? Just downloaded a small update and now b-log is telling me I need to install the game. :smith:

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 14, 2013

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

Yes. Beta is over e: +tonight.

In Arma if you don't know your zero, you're 100% likely to be using iron sights on an AR. Watch your impacts and walk that poo poo on target, you have 30 rounds to get it right. :cmon:

Steeltalon fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 14, 2013

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Official Webpage

• Exclusive Beta: starts October 1
  • Open Beta: starts October 4-15

Says who? I'm playing right now

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Still at work... thanks to the Battlelog app I can see that people are still playing... when exactly does the beta end? GMT, preferably.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

mcbexx posted:

Still at work... thanks to the Battlelog app I can see that people are still playing... when exactly does the beta end? GMT, preferably.

Beta ends on the 15.10.2013 at 10:00 UTC (other time zones behind link). (12:00 in Germany.)

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
How long will preorders be accepted for, anyone know?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So I completely spaced on the end date of the beta so my Syrian and Democratic People's Republic of Congo flag emblems will never grace the side of a tank.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

A Renaissance Nerd posted:

Another one for the collection. This is the Mobius Squadron emblem from Ace Combat 4, made by Endymion.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/emblem/edit/personal/2955058836813191099/286893393/1/

Glad you liked it! Honestly I've sorta abandoned the beta, stupid Pokemon is too distracting. Definitely fun for the while I played it, feels much more refined than BF3.

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost
Bless the spectator mode: followed a 0-rank guy couple of hours ago going 0-14 on his first ever match in the beta. He was just so timid, didn't know how to move around or even ADS, had no situational awareness what so ever, he was playing like he never touched a FPS before. But did I cheer for him when he got his first kill in his second match, you bet!

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
loving awesome. Don't forget to put it in here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtRHLhB30ToKdHpQb0xwV1dnZDM5azVrX3U0SERhX2c&usp=sharing#gid=0

jisforjosh posted:

[/list]

Says who? I'm playing right now
Its says October 15th...

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Mouse talk: I always heard that you should crank your mouse DPI as high as you can go, and then set your ingame sensitivity super low. So on my G700 I have DPI set at 5700 and polling at 1000 (so I have to recharge the battery every other day), but ingame sensitivity is maybe 7%. That could be lowered. When I started to lower sensitivity, I did it gradually, to get used to it.
This is bullshit. DPI isn't some magical attribute that makes your cursor more precise the higher it goes, it's simply how many dots you're going to move per inch with no increase in sensor read density whatsoever. It's used as a misleading marketing buzzword in the exact same way that monitor brands advertise 3 TRILLION TO 1 CONTRAST RATIOS!!!

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I made Roast Beef

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/emblem/edit/personal/2955058138927421620/902437686/1/

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Its says October 15th...

Today is the 14th and he was claiming originally that it was already over.

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Nap Ghost

TheRationalRedditor posted:

This is bullshit. DPI isn't some magical attribute that makes your cursor more precise the higher it goes, it's simply how many dots you're going to move per inch with no increase in sensor read density whatsoever. It's used as a misleading marketing buzzword in the exact same way that monitor brands advertise 3 TRILLION TO 1 CONTRAST RATIOS!!!

Polling rate is another thing that got me thinking: can humans even perceive the 1 ms to 8 ms input lag? I bloody well can't. Would be interesting to see any double-blind tests done to verify if a pro-esports-competetive-gamer can tell between for example, 1 ms vs 2 ms (1000 hz polling rate vs 500 hz polling rate).

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
This thread has just informed me of the existence of IMFDB. :stare:

:catstare:

:psyduck:

Is....is this what TFR is like?

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

All have been added, bringing the database to 49 emblems.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Rolling Scissors posted:

Polling rate is another thing that got me thinking: can humans even perceive the 1 ms to 8 ms input lag? I bloody well can't. Would be interesting to see any double-blind tests done to verify if a pro-esports-competetive-gamer can tell between for example, 1 ms vs 2 ms (1000 hz polling rate vs 500 hz polling rate).

In SSF4, protecting(teching) yourself from being thrown requires an input within 8 frames of the attack. There are 60 frames a second, so each frame is 16.666~ milliseconds. People are capable of teching throws on reaction, so yeah, pro gamers can definitely perceive and react appropriately to millisecond based actions.

Fake edit: What I want to know is some people claim to be able to see the difference between 90 frames per second any amounts over 90. Like 90 vs 120 fps. I don't think that's possible, but if anyone has evidence otherwise, I'd like to hear it.

OGS-Remix fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 14, 2013

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

OGS-Remix posted:

Fake edit: What I want to know is some people claim to be able to see the difference between 90 frames per second any amounts over 90. Like 90 vs 120 fps. I don't think that's possible, but if anyone has evidence otherwise, I'd like to hear it.

From what I've seen of it, you really won't *see* the FPS difference, but you will definitely feel it. Things get smoother the higher your FPS goes, basically. Might not seem much, but the difference in responsiveness and the feel of controls between 90 and 120 is almost as much as 60-90. The more frames per second are processed and displayed, the faster the game can react to input.

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Nap Ghost

OGS-Remix posted:

In SSF4, protecting(teching) yourself from being thrown requires an input within 8 frames of the attack. There are 60 frames a second, so each frame is 16.666~ milliseconds. People are capable of teching throws on reaction, so yeah, pro gamers can definitely perceive and react appropriately to millisecond based actions.

With 8 frames to counter, that is 16.7 ms - 133.3 ms, a timing window of 0,117 seconds to react. It's pretty good, but I don't think its comparable to the mouse use scenario, as even with a basic 125 Hz polling rate you have a timing delay of 8 ms. Also, the point I'm making is, that I don't think any human can perceive a difference between a constant delay to your inputs between 1 ms or 2 ms, it's not a case of reaction times.

I think you can feel the difference if you go from 8 ms to 1 ms, but between that the difference is undetectable.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Yeah, I think if you isolate fps from every other factor, 60 is more than sufficient for your eyeballs. Getting higher just gives you some buffer room for when stuff makes it drop. That's my understanding, anyway.

Like, if you had a machine that could run 60 literally no matter what happened on your screen, it'd be good enough, even though such a device could run at higher rates less consistently.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Play a source game that has the 'fps_max xx' console command, where you can get 100+ fps on your system and turn v-sync off and play for a minute or so at 60, then change it to 85, 100, 120 etc. you'll notice a difference.

Constant 60 might be completely fine on it's own but if you compare it side by side or immediately after using 85 you can tell a difference and 85 is always preferable. people just don't use it anymore because up until recently every LCD vsynced at 60, whereas on a CRT 60hz was painful for your eyes and 85hz was great and achievable on 4:3 1600x1200 by most monitors

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

From what I've seen of it, you really won't *see* the FPS difference, but you will definitely feel it. Things get smoother the higher your FPS goes, basically. Might not seem much, but the difference in responsiveness and the feel of controls between 90 and 120 is almost as much as 60-90. The more frames per second are processed and displayed, the faster the game can react to input.

Yeah, I saw a presentation in unit on this where they put a simple looped animation (a bouncing ball) up side-by-side at 30, 60, 90 and 120 fps. At the higher rates you couldn't exactly pin down the difference with your eyes (i.e. you couldn't see the transition from one frame to another), but the movement definitely 'felt' smoother.

Virginia Blend
Jan 5, 2010
I'm garbage at doing ANYTHING artistic but I'd like to request an emblem. Currently I'm training for the USAF to become a Combat Controller and I would adore any Goon who could replicate this logo for BF4

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Somebody needs to make the Starship Troopers Marines emblem. ROUGHNECKS HOOAH! :v:

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

keyframe posted:

Somebody needs to make the Starship Troopers Marines emblem. ROUGHNECKS HOOAH! :v:
This bad boy?

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Grey Fox V2 posted:

This bad boy?

Nah - that's the FedNet logo. The MI has a couple different ones.

For the 6th Mobile Infantry:

winged sword [left shoulder], the circled 6 [hat], MI wings [chest], and the winged circled 6 [right shoulder]

Additionally, there's the Federal Flag:

Of which there is a Mobile-Infantry variant:

:goonsay:

EDIT: It should be noted that there actually is a FedNet badge design:

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 14, 2013

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Alehkhs posted:

Nah - that's the FedNet logo. The MI has a couple different ones

I tried. Emblems are hard. I probably should have done it just out of shapes. It's an abomination. :negative:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Alehkhs posted:

Nah - that's the FedNet logo. The MI has a couple different ones.

For the 6th Mobile Infantry:

winged sword [left shoulder], the circled 6 [hat], MI wings [chest], and the winged circled 6 [right shoulder]

Of which there is a Mobile-Infantry variant:

:goonsay:

EDIT: It should be noted that there actually is a FedNet badge design:

Yea the mobile infantry one is the one I was thinking.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Ularg posted:

I tried. Emblems are hard. I probably should have done it just out of shapes. It's an abomination. :negative:

I dunno, it looks pretty passable compared to the original.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Deuce posted:

This thread has just informed me of the existence of IMFDB. :stare:

:catstare:

:psyduck:

Is....is this what TFR is like?

The IMFDB page for Far Cry 2 is actually an amusing read, I believe it was written by a goon.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Ah, forgot the beta is ending soon as well. So we cant keep the beta install for release right?

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Good night, sweet prince

Had a blast with the beta, can't wait for release. I finally pushed my KD into the positive last night! For my first ~4 hours or so it was around 0.3 :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Some more or final screens. I'd love to just be a war photographer come release.

• Locked thread